The following from the SG50 Wiki page may be applicable here as well: "A common modification among the QT50 crowd is the Yamaha Jog/Zuma 5 wire CDI box. To combat this, many riders have eliminated the oil pump and replaced it with an oil plate block-off or an automotive freeze plug. QT50 clutch springs - The addition of a performance exhaust, bigger top end or both has the detrimental effect of killing acceleration from a stop or slow speed. Reply Stephen Keller / keller_stephen Jan 10, 2020 11:49PM Price? Pull off the battery cover and check out the wiring in the back as well. Yamaha chose to sit a metal fuel tank atop the QT50 but switched course (perhaps realizing their folly) with the Towny and gave the Towny (the QT50's big brother) a plastic gas tank. Perhaps around 10% bigger than stock. The qt's metal tank can become rusty over time and especially if stored with gas in the tank. Day 7 I opened up the side transfers on the cylinder skirt. Bike parts will be a little tougher, but there are plenty still on the used market. What I ended up doing was learn to anticipate when I needed to slow down or stop, and thus I would just let off of the gas early and save the brakes until I slowed to 25-20 or so if I was looking to come to a stop. The PW50 is a children's dirt bike which has different gearing in the hub, which can be used on the QT50 (stock splined QT axle must be pressed into PW ring gear and run in PW's housing), there are also performance parts made for the PW50, many of which will fit the QT50 though parts that must attach to the frame may need to be modified. Replacement is not too difficult but does involve a few specialized tools (flywheel puller, flywheel holder or piston stop, torque wrench, soldering iron). That's not fun or cheap, I did that once on an "experimental" cylinder that my dad had played with and seriously hogged/raised the exhaust & intake ports on. Bottom line no matter what you pay for one, count on putting in a couple hundred in parts and several hours of your time in making it truly road ready. QT50s were popular in the late 1970s and 1980s, These small motorcycles are easy to ride, maintain, and are fuel efficient. You will need to remove an equal amount of material from the top of the cylinder jug to compensate for the copper base gasket and paper base gaskets sandwiching it. On a large ride, I was able to keep up with the Puch's and Carabela's. Maybe sooner if you want to be more cautious. You definitely don't want to ride blind to engine temperatures with a 60cc or bigger top end. Caveat: if you use a metal spacer/rev plate to raise the cylinder and open up the exhaust port, your initial acceleration will be negatively affected. Add a new exhaust gasket and put a little anti-seize on the new bolts before installing. It has the exact same wiring and driveshaft as the QT50 and the same 2 speed automatic engine as the Chappy. These are usually the first things that are misplaced. And cylinder got sanded down after 1.5mm of spacers added to open up all ports fully except intake at BDC. 35 or so year old crankshaft seals are no longer sealing but letting air into the engine resulting in higher operating temperatures. New cylinder head. No side covers and you really want them subtract $100-125; Maybe Ill shoot for Pete Roses number. #29-3208 | Yamaha QT50 (1979-1987) Front Brake Shoes Pk/2 Diameter: 79.3mm Width: 17mm OEM Ref # 27V-W2535-00 USD$ 5 .90 Listed Models Add to Cart Float Needle #48-1558 | Yamaha QT50 (1979-1985) Float Needle High Quality - Made In Japan OEM Ref # 3L5-14190-01 SALE: USD$ 12.00 (USD$ 19 .95) Add to Cart Universal Glas-Pak Insert #009-0317 But Im not sure how far down the rabbit hole I want to go on this one. Top speed without an extended full throttle run of 34-35. Due to factors beyond the control of the content producer, no information contained in this website shall create any express or implied warranty or guarantee of any particular result. You should see a large circle of light through the main jet and a much smaller circle of light through the idle jet. Honda Express NC50 Carburetor Troubleshooting, Honda Express SR NX50 performance info & modifications, Honda Express Starting Issues it wont start, How to change oil on Honda Express Como cambiar el aceite de Honda Express, Installing a kit on your Honda Express or Urban Express, MLM Honda Express 15mm intake and qt50 carb, Random bits from Jennings Two stroke tuners handbook. The QT50 drive train was shared by the Tri-Zinger and PW50. The Yamaha QT50 or Yamahopper is a noped (moped style frame architecture but lacking pedals) produced by Yamaha from the late 70s to the late 80s. This top-grade product is expertly made in compliance with stringent industry standards to offer a fusion of a well-balanced design and high level of craftsmanship. A 40 year old bike will need almost everything looked into. This jailbreaks the relatively generous exhaust port (in the stock configuration, the piston partially covers a portion of the exhaust port at bottom dead center; the rev plate raises the cylinder jug and thus allows the piston to fully expose the exhaust port at bottom dead center). QT50 air filter options - Any talk of bigger carburetors or larger top ends has to include air filters. My Honda Express at the time of purchase. Any 28 or 29mm air filter is most likely an improvement over the stock air box (although many have resorted to drilling speed holes into the stock air box). You can get Dellorto jets in increments of one so I could experiment with a 64 or 66 main jet. Low end was miserable at 110 psi. A too lean mixture can cause serious engine damage. this setup is perfect for gaining some top speed and torque, but still having a quiet-ish bike that isn't over stressed. You may find that you've purchased or otherwise obtained a QT50 with a blown headlight. If you dont use a gasket or gasket maker, youll need a bigger main jet. So you want your Honda Express to go faster. 8/6/2018 So I kind of lost track of this thread and thought Id pick it up again. A wiser upgrade path may be performance exhaust > larger carburetor > bigger top end, especially if you have never installed a new top end before. If it passes all the tests above, is in mint condition, and has title, I wouldnt pay more than $650. Do this little by little in combination with PB-Blaster. Do not use the entire oil package that comes with it to oil the filter. Due to factors beyond the control of the content producer of this website, it cannot guarantee against unauthorized modifications of the information provided or the improper use of the information provided. $650 in Ohio may be the same as $900 in California or New York. 6. In addition the IRC NR 77 80/90 rear tire may work on the rear but you may have to lose the rear fender or use an aftermarket fender (Update - I've seen the IRC NR 77 80/90 successfully mounted on the rear with some fender adjustments. I can bump up the pilot jet instead though. Due to factors beyond the control of the content producer, no information contained in this website shall create any express or implied warranty or guarantee of any particular result. All this is necessary to avoid seizing your piston as the performance exhaust will have the effect of leaning out your fuel/air mixture. Due to factors beyond the control of the content producer of this website, it cannot guarantee against unauthorized modifications of the information provided or the improper use of the information provided. Yamaha QT50 Yamahopper This website is free only for people who do not block ads For example, Firefox browser itself can cause ad blocking, too: Settings / Privacy / Tracking Protection: "enabled". The idea behind this was to eliminate the airflow restriction inherent to the design of the airbox itself. You need to get another Yamaha Center Stand Stopper (part no. Couldve easily seized it with an extended full throttle run. I put perhaps 15,000 miles on this bike (the plastic speedo/odometer housing in the front hub failed after about 9,000 miles due to these speed mods), and I cannot stress enough of the importance of taking care of your air filter and making sure you keep that oil reservoir full. Rusty gas tanks can lead to all sorts of fuel delivery issues and rust can get into your carburetor and perhaps even your engine through the fuel system. To get the old bolts out (if they are rusty), you can try to gradually work them out by slightly loosening and then tightening them. Kenda also makes a number of 60/100 x 14" dirt tires that may work as well. Yamaha may have intended that the bike run rich to promote engine life. Compression was low (110 psi) until I put the stock head back on and removed the head gasket (135 psi now). 99. Wiring issues subtract $100; Any injury, damage or loss that may result from the use or improper use of the information provided or from the use of tools, equipment, etc., contained in this website is the sole responsibility of the user and not the content producer. New bolts with some anti-seize compound are recommended. A 69 jet seems better for that Orange Express. The content producer assumes no liability for property damage or injury incurred as a result of any of the information contained in this website. Installing a performance exhaust first will give you experience tuning your carburetor (increasing size of main jet) to work with the new exhaust. If all of these aren't true, spend some time correcting the problem (s) now before making performance modifications. So if my qt50 can spin the taller tire at the same revolutions per minute my speed should increase. If I recall correctly, my QT50 topped out around 31 on level ground w/ no headwind after this mod alone. Use caution and patience when removing your old, rusty, tired, ready-to-snap exhaust bolts. 1. I solved it by going from a 102.5 jet to an 87 and finally to an 85 main jet. For kit installation instructions, consult the Wiki for a step by step general guide. The Yamahopper has an approximate top speed of 30 mph in stock form, and thus can be used for city driving. Turn signals and mirrors are also casualties of past wrecks. It gets around 100-125 mpg, its really reliable, I use it to drive to campus, you can park it on the bike racks and. Ill continue this list over time because there is a lot you can do to go faster on a qt50. Be mindful of not completely eliminating all four stroking. Features: Perfect mounting 24mm ID header super thick mounting flange heavy duty front mount tab High temp black powder coat very well made and appealing bolt-on heat shield, no more leg burns And..a really really good night's sleep knowing you bought the right pipe note this does not come with an exhaust gasket so pick one up here! 41.6mph. When cleaning the carb, focus on the idle jet and the seat where the needle sits. Yamaha Yamahopper qt50 top speed run, hang on! Signaler un abus. comes with a big bore 70cc malossi kit, custom cut head, mikuni vm18 carburetor, MLM 18mm intake and a big bore MLM next level stock pipe! I hope compression gets better as the rings seat. Stay tuned. Will change jet and try again. 5. It has a 15.15 SHA clone carb and currently running a 75 main jet. Several methods are outlined here at mopedarmy.com. Try a hotter spark plug; I can't even begin to count the number of brake drums that I went trough, both front and rear. The original tire size on the qt50 is 2.25 wide by 14 in diameter. The straighter header will perform better; however, a used QT50 exhaust cannot be had for pennies on ebay and your money may be better spent on a performance exhaust. Now my former paperweight had a new lease on life. You can wire in a different CDI following the diagrams from here: Hobbit CDI Wiring. Hey, so do I. I'm running a 60cc top end on my QT with the Towny bottom end. This is the trade off for more top speed. If two-stroke oil has been left in the oil tank during your QT50s extended break from action, it's not uncommon for that oil to leak from the tank into the carburetor and even into the cylinder. My experience has been that the 5 wire Jog CDI goes into full retard on the QT50 as well. FREE delivery Jan 25 - 31 . 4. Many QT50 owners initially cannot get past 25 mph or so because of the resultant four-stroking. 5. I used a 65 main jet and it seems to be pretty dialed in. Available at Brennys Motorcycle Clinic in Bettendorf, Ia. The Mikuni VM18 carb is almost as lethal as nitrous. Take out the spark plug and shine a light into the cylinder and get an idea of the condition of the top of the piston. Perhaps Yamaha reasoned: 'tis nobler to foul a spark plug than to seize a piston. Ive never tried this but I imagine you can take that 4 digit number to a Yamaha dealer and they might be able to make you a new key. 10. In sunshine red with some fresh updates. In 2018, MLM introduced the MLM yamaha QT50 techno EDM circuit pipe. I got a mid-top end pipe from DG that was made for the QT50. #4 A small diameter wire is an effective cleaning tool when attempting to clear the idle jet of whatever crud that has narrowed its passageway. Used Ulysse Speedometer app for my Verizon Thunder. Makes me wonder how anyone could really go fast with a stock head. You will also want the Malossi exhaust gasket. If you eliminate all four stroking, you may run the risk of seizing your piston. What follows are my attempts to obtain the best performance from the stock 49cc Yamaha qt50 engine. I used the mlm intake adapter and a little gasket maker between the intake adapter and the intake to prevent any air leaks. Shine the light into the gas tank and determine how rusty the inside of the tank is. Your main jet is way too big. Ron Peek / yamahauler. We are ready to rock as soon as the weather cooperates. This posting echoes Fred's post to some extent, but I was lucky that my dad had porting experience. Ok, I changed the transmission oil to 5W-30 and lost 0.9 mph. If it goes slower than this, negotiate accordingly. Heres a nice picture of the stock tire vs. the IRC tire. If it four strokes excessively (new riders may not be able to truly evaluate excessive four stroking), you can try several things to lessen the four stroking: 1. Reply Tim Doll / barneyfife OP Jan 11, 2020 12:19AM Sorry about that ,missed one small detail $650 Reply Bob Naske / bobqt50 Alternatively, add-ons / plugins in browsers, not just only AdBlock, but also others similar, too. What a ride it was! On a large ride, I was able to keep up with the Puch's and Carabela's. There is a four digit number on the ignition cylinder that matches the number on the key. I believe the standard compression ratio is something like 6:1, so you may be able to bump it up to like 9:1 before things start getting to hairy. Performance modifications will only exaggerate current issues. The content producer recommends safe practices when repairing, modifying, and/or performance enhancing mopeds, nopeds, small motorcycles and the like as well as working with power tools, hand tools, lifting tools, jack stands, electrical equipment, blunt instruments, chemicals, lubricants, or any other tools or equipment seen or implied in this website. (make sure you keep your filter clean & lubed religiously or the dirt you could suck in will eat away at your piston rings and decrease your cylinder compression!!) Sharing an entire drive train with a fairly current children's dirt bike means most things can be had readily from your local Yamaha dealer. I will post a better video when its not so windy. Web designers, SEO consultants, etc. Ride, handling, braking and, to a small extent, top speed can be improved with them. The K&N RC-2540 Universal Clamp-On Air Filter is a good but expensive choice. Im going to look at changing the jetting next. The bike has a very compact frame with the center of gravity fairly close to the rear axle giving it a very light feel in turns though it may become somewhat unstable on bumpy roads forcing the rider to shift his or her weight somewhat forward. Yamaha MJ50 Towny two-speed crankcase and right-side swingarm. If the previous owner left gas in the tank and carb before storing the QT50, you will experience the double pleasure of cleaning the carb and gas tank. I got my MC license on that scooter. . Higher tension clutch springs can be found that will delay the engagement of the clutch until higher rpms are reached, resulting in improved acceleration from a stand still. Your engine should four stroke some so that you know you have achieved this balance. Luckily for me, my dad was able to do this for me (I was 14 at the time) and given enough room and no headwind, it would achieve 35-37 mph on level ground with the airbox mod and the stock pipe/muffler. I consider myself fortunate as my dad was very knowledgeable about how 2-stroke engines run and what you need to do to make them "breathe" better. Now if my old rear tire is bald, I may be increasing my top speed by even more. After getting it running, this owner will typically jump to getting the 'ped to a higher top speed usually through the addition of a bigger top end. Well, I hope you and others find my experience useful. I never ran into overheating problems, nor did I ever have a mechanical breakdown because I kept up on its maintenence. Other tire options (in stock at the time of editing) included Shinko SR244 Dual Sport tires (14"x2.75"); Shinko SR241 Dual Sport tires (14"x2.75"); vee rubber VRM 020 moped tire (14 x 2.25); irc inoue tire - (14" x 2.25") hod rodddder; Kenda K261(14" x 2.25"); Yokohoma World Tour 956 (14" x 2.25" and 2.00" - not sure if you can find this still); Guang Li Dirt Tire (2.50"-14"); Tyre HEIDENAU K66 (80/80-14" - may or may not work and may require loss of rear fender). Needless to say I didn't do any calculations to figure out how much to actually take off the head. 1. However, this 5 wire box DOES NOT work for the Sting. The MLM exhaust will also require you to install a bigger main jet. The temperature gauge will be your other. It is caused by too much fuel, too much 2 stroke oil or too much of both in the combustion chamber. I notice sometimes at full throttle it will run rougher, make a different noise, seem to hesitate and check up. Another cooling strategy is to employ a colder spark plug. You can also get an idea as to its compression by using the kick start. Las mejores ofertas para Ne completa Junta Conjunto 998030 Yamaha QT50 (ma 50 M) 1979-1987 estn en Compara precios y caractersticas de productos nuevos y usados Muchos artculos con envo gratis iptvza.com. Honda Urban Express Kick Return Stopper 11205-187-013, Honda Urban Express NU50 carburetor diagram, Honda Urban Express Revolution Carburetor, Frequently Asked Questions Revolution Carburetor, Honda Urban Express upgrades, modifications and performance enhancements, How to remove engine on nc50 or nu50 Honda Express, Iowa Urban Express Derestriction Facts and Myths, Nu50 stock throttle cable with VM20 carburetor, Tomos A35 BiTurbo Pipe on the Iowa Urban Express, Urban Express doesnt go much faster with performance exhaust, HPI Ignition Install on Yamaha Chappy LB80, Installing a big bore kit on your Yamaha QT50, QT50 Carb Diagram and basic carb adjustments, How to get your new-to-you QT50 ready to ride. Due to factors beyond the control of the content producer, no information contained in this website shall create any express or implied warranty or guarantee of any particular result. If the bike pulls to one side while riding, it may have bent forks. I had cyclekeysonline make me a $10 key for it and it worked. Almost all states require title to obtain license plates and registration. Engine failure is imminent. Ill put the circuit pipe on next and we should jump to over 40. You will need to replace your main jet with a bigger main jet. It four-strokes fairly easily in the stock configuration so that you don't overheat and soft-seize under low load at full throttle. So 70mm wide or 2.75 inches wide with an aspect ratio of 90 would make the height 0.81 inches higher than the stock tire. I cleaned up the transfers on a Honda cylinder like the pic above. Heres a nice picture of the stock tire vs. the IRC tire. Although unlikely that any significant difference exists, the straighter version contributed more to performance than the "S" shaped version. Chances are your tires on your 35 or so year old qt50 are a mess. Its like an old house. Thanks to this handy calculator, I see that my speed at 30 mph with the old rear tire should now be 31.53 mph. Adjustment of the front and rear fender stays will most likely be necessary to accommodate these tires. Having fun on the Yamaha qt50 Ha ha ha. I have a head temp gauge but I have the 2 speed crank case from the towny. Also check the foot pegs to see if they are bent. Truth is it is getting too much gas and dying as a result. Whats the trade off? Or fastest delivery Jan 20 - 24 . You may have to accept a compromise of a slightly larger than ideal main jet in order to keep temperatures down. I ordered a puch 40mm head. It still has the stock exhaust which may be a huge limiting factor. It also leads to using a key other than the Yamahopper one. Check and see if all the lights and horn work. This does not mean that all four stroking is bad. For every 1 mph below top speed of 30 mph, subtract $15-20; White/Red from Jog CDI to White/Red on QT50; Red/Black from Jog CDI to Black/Red; Black to Black; Yellow to Orange coil wire and Black/White on Jog CDI to nothing. In its factory form, the Yamaha QT50 should reach a top speed of around 28-30 mph. The most outstanding feature of this bike would have to be its final drive which consists of a solid drive shaft (with a torsion spring to dampen the engines vibration) that connects the transmission to a ring and pinion gear set in the rear hub. Or adding a bigger top end will require other modifications in order to achieve the potential of the new top end. I probably have more if I dig around. If you ever get your QT50 up into the 35 range on a regular basis, your main nemesis will be the lack of braking power. Keep this principle in mind. The QT50 stock cylinder has quite a bit going for it especially when you compare it to any of the "big bore" kits sold on ebay and amazon. If it will do its top speed of 29-30 mph, youre in luck. yamaha . In the end, I was able to get the QT50 consistently up into the 35-40 mph range even on slight uphills, and I was able to almost hit 50 going downhills and also by catching a lucky draft from an SUV on level ground (which was probably one of the dumbest things I've done in my life so far). A Q-tip cut in half and then placed in your drill is another handy tool for cleaning the seat. Im still breaking it in and have encountered and overcome several hurdles already. Prices vary throughout the year with the change of seasons. Look how wrong you can be. The VM18 will require MLM's intake designed for the VM18. If I bump up to an IRC NC 77 tire, Im going to a 70/9014 tire. The immediate goal is to break 40 and then shoot for 45 mph. A bigger cylinder head would also help with cooling. I was reading the service manual for the NC50 and saw that it called for 10W-40 transmission oil in the summer and 5W-30 in the winter. But no worries. I can bump the main jet again and see if that does the trick. Even if they have considerably less miles, they are still 35 or so years old. Eliminate your oil pump and just use pre-mixed gas/oil at a specific ratio (50:1 or so); Call 563-359-7222. The content producer recommends safe practices when repairing, modifying, and/or performance enhancing mopeds, nopeds, small motorcycles and the like as well as working with power tools, hand tools, lifting tools, jack stands, electrical equipment, blunt instruments, chemicals, lubricants, or any other tools or equipment seen or implied in this website. After the main jet, dial in the jet needle. Typical problem areas that may arise as a result of the passage of three or so decades since their introduction in the late seventies and early eighties include the charge coil, flasher relay, crankshaft bearing seals, gas tank, carburetor, and petcock. Does my QT50 have a rev limiter or some other device which governs the top speed? Mikuni VM15 and VM18 carburetors. Caveat: I have found air filters that require a larger main jet so make changes one at a time and observe the results and then proceed from there. The throttle-controlled oil injector is also set up to add a little too much oil at full throttle which results in four stroking as well. Chances are you still wont get a good idea of how rusty the tank is even by doing this. . I can't believe that my county/town cops never approached me concerning its legality in my state given how much louder it was. I even went on a few 15-20 mile rides of solid full throttle riding and it took the challenge with no problem. It can be incredibly frustrating to spend $200 on a performance exhaust and then have the kickstand bang it every time you use it. Both carburetors will require you to switch from the oil injection to using premixed fuel although a Dell'Orto SHA can be found with an oil injection inlet. Ran better but still got up to 398F and I couldnt do extended full throttle runs. This leads to hacking into the wiring. What should I look for? Yeah, Im an oil freak. Puch head arrives Monday. In the end, I was able to get the QT50 consistently up into the 35-40 mph range even on slight uphills, and I was able to almost hit 50 going downhills and also by catching a lucky draft from an SUV on level ground (which was probably one of the dumbest things I've done in my life so far). The oil pump is reputed to add excessive amounts of two stroke oil to the fuel. Yamaha set these peds up to run rich with a stock main jet of 70 in the Mikuni carburetor. Ive began another Express speed project. The puch head keeps her cool. You more than likely over-jetted. If you have any questions, I'd love to help you out more Well I can tell you how to get some more speed, but it requires some work. YES! The other 2 wires are power for lights or battery. It's simple, maintenance-free shaft-drive contained in the single-sided swingarm eliminates chain maintenance, safety and wear concerns as well as weather wear factors and contributes to the durability and ease of use of these tiny motorbikes. Crankshaft bearing seal replacement on mj50, qt50 and pw50. Kevlar brake pads and stiffer clutch springs! [1] The QT50 motorcycle resembles contemporary Mopeds and shares some features with Scooters. I also read on mopedarmy.com (concerning the Suzuki FA50) that if you went from 20W-40 conventional oil to 10W-30 synthetic oil, you would obtain a 2-4 mph top speed increase. Day 6 I let her eat today. Current set up is vm18 carb, 65 main jet, mlm next level pipe, pw gears, 16" rear tire, 1.0mm spacer. Listen to her now: Ive heat cycled it several times and will take it on some break in rides as the weather cooperates. With a fully open exhaust port expect gains of 3-4 mph. So I can compare temps between stock head and puch head. The engine is smooth running, reliable, and long lived when proper maintenance is observed. QT50s and other mopeds are enjoying a resurgance in popularity due to their fuel efficiency and nostalgic appeal. It is considered a motorcycle by most states. Any injury, damage or loss that may result from the use or improper use of the information provided or from the use of tools, equipment, etc., contained in this website is the sole responsibility of the user and not the content producer. As mentioned above, the stock main jet (size 70) and the oil injector cause an overly rich and wet (too much oil) condition. What should you pay for (or sell) a Honda Express? The QT50 and the Honda Express are similar in appearance. I might stick a performance exhaust on this next to see how it does. Ill make videos of each top speed run and post them here. Qt50s will sell for less in the fall and winter. Many mistake the low, rough growl as a result of a rev limiter residing in the CDI unit or perhaps elsewhere. Spring is always the hot season for noped and moped sales. 6. You may need to bump up to a 72.5 main jet with this filter. Picture the maze that the incoming air had to follow just to get to the carb. Im hoping an extra 25 psi helps out quite a bit. Yamaha used two different stock exhausts on the QT50. Youll think your qt is not getting enough gas because it stalls. That extra bit of fuel that causes some four stroking is required by the engine when it is under greater loads like climbing hills, running into a strong wind, etc. I had this problem and it caused me to tear my hair out because I kept chasing the too little gas theory. At full throttle, the bad seals may let in so much air that it causes your bike to die. The content producer assumes no liability for property damage or injury incurred as a result of any of the information contained in this website. Youll thank me later. Jemco exhaust, etc. Almost there. It has a high rpm retarding feature that keeps the temps down by retarding the ignition timing as the rpms increase. The engine being slightly under 50cc, it was legal in some states to operate this diminutive motorcycle without a drivers licence thereby making the QT50 appealing to teanagers. Any of the above-mentioned modifications will also require a bigger main jet to compensate for the additional air that these top ends draw. Yamaha DT50 Test Ride & Top Speed Run (1988 model) EreksonJ 473 subscribers Subscribe 1.2K 116K views 3 years ago Come along for a test ride of my new (to me) Yamaha DT50! This system eases cold starting: when the key is placed in the "start" position, the ignition supplies a stronger than normal spark for initial starting, but does not allow the engine to rev so as to avoid burning the piston. Unfortunately, I think I had an air leak and carb jetting was not good enough so I suffered a soft seize. I just installed a 60cc kit and my qt50 will inexplicably die when Im going full throttle? You can help Wikipedia by expanding it. Cone mesh air filters of the 28-29mm variety are plentiful and cheap on eBay or amazon and equally effective. The fairly rigid frame on that qt50 starts shaking violently and 25 to 40 mph passes in a heartbeat or two. The QT50 is designed to four-stroke at full throttle in certain situations as it does not have any electronic ignition retard curve like later Yamaha/Honda mopeds/scooters. The stock main jet in a qt50 is a 70. -DO NOT CONTACT ME. Commentaire fait aux tats-Unis le 10 novembre 2019. Available at Brennys Motorcycle Clinic in Bettendorf, Ia. Front tire was a bit wobbly at. Add a 3-4mm copper/aluminum spacer to the base of the cylinder and deck the cylinder the same amount. Consider it a $39 insurance policy. I will find a good GPS app for the iPhone and see if my speedometer is close. A complete PW50 stator can be had for less than $20. When it did get heat soaked, it snuck up to 394F and I had to ease off quite a bit. Stock Configuration and Basic Performance Upgrades, https://www.mopedarmy.com/w/index.php?title=QT50_performance&oldid=24781. Id be happy with 1 mph. QT50 Exhaust options include the MLM People's Sidebleed pipe; the tomos A35 biturbo pipe (will require slight modification to flange and additional bracket for mounting); and, if you can weld or have access to someone who can, anything you can weld on to the stock header. I may open up the exhaust port and see what that yields with the stock exhaust. Day 1 49cc engine is on my blue qt50. Theres a lot more flow now. clutch yamaha qt50 hand yamaha pw50 yamaha mt 15 singapore pee wee yamaha pw50 yamaha qt50 wiring diagram yamaha qt50 top speed. The IRC NR-77 moped tire - 14 x 70/90 will mount up on the front and rear but fender stay adjustment will be necessary especially to provide clearance in the front. Subscribe to: Posts (Atom) 40.1mph. I have 0W-20, straight 30W synthetic, synthetic transmission fluid. I was bummin' that my 83 QT50 would bog out at 25mph. Dont try that with those niche kits. So my first top speed experiment will be to try a lighter weight synthetic oil to see if I obtain a noticeable speed increase. So the caveat here is just because it runs and rides well doesnt mean you are home free. At top speed and when the engine is under little load, you may hear the engine note change tone from a high pitched whine to a lower and rougher growl. -DO NOT CONTACT ME. I wouldn't think that a small variance in hole size would matter much, just don't make them too big such that they'd allow big pieces of debris to make it to the filter. When you do successfully extract them, replace them with new bolts of the correct size. Reply. QT50 CDI options - The Yamaha Jog CDI can be used in lieu of the stock QT50 CDI. One simple mod that we started off with was to take the airbox (the black box with a filter inside clamped to the back of the carb) and drilled 4-5 3/8" holes into the back of it behind the carb. A temperature gauge is mission critical to keeping your piston from soft seizing. This setup requires no maintenance and has the safety feature of lacking any exposed moving parts such as a chain that could catch one's clothing. My Yamaha QT50 Saturday, February 7, 2009. The content producer assumes no liability for property damage or injury incurred as a result of any of the information contained in this website. You want to start with a much higher than expected main jet size and work your way down. Ive added a video on this modification here at the bottom of this page. Also went down to 14 tire. Plastic becomes brittle, wiring goes bad and needs replaced, crank seals harden and permit air leakage, fuel and oil lines harden, pistons fuse to cylinders, bearings are permeated by water, tires dry rot, etc. Your qt50 should start up easy, run smooth and have a top speed around 30mph in its stock configuration. Honda Express with tecno boss exhaust and 1.5mm cylinder spacing. 9. . Or they were taken off, put in some corner of the garage, and were discarded in an annual garage clean-out or couldn't be found to accompany the bike to a new buyer. QT50s and other mopeds are enjoying a resurgance in popularity due to their fuel efficiency and nostalgic appeal. I was bummin' that my 83 QT50 would bog out at 25mph. Air filter missing subtract $25-35. Or you can find a hose or fuel line that offers a compromise between the different sizes of the oil injection inlet and outlet ports and connect the two to continuously cycle a small amount of oil through the pump while running premix in the fuel tank. Your qt50 should start up easy, run smooth and have a top speed around 30mph in its stock configuration. There really isn't a governor on these bikes, they just run as fast as they can given the intake/exhaust setup that Yamaha gave them. This headlight has a replaceable bulb and fits perfectly in the QT50's headlight ring. Performance upgrades, as listed above, exist for the QT50 that will make 50 mph~ attainable. I imagine the rear fender would have to go with this tire and would the tire fit on the rim? Damn that was sweet! -DO NOT CONTACT ME. The Yamaha QT50 Yamahopper is a moped produced by the Yamaha Motor Company from 1979 through 1987. Idling at stop signs doesnt really bring the temperature down much. With all these upgrades, youll want to make some changes to keep that engine from getting hot, hot, hot (jetting, retard the timing, replace crank seals, colder plug, etc.). I achieved a top speed of 39.7mph which I consider amazing on a stock cylinder. The content producer recommends safe practices when repairing, modifying, and/or performance enhancing mopeds, nopeds, small motorcycles and the like as well as working with power tools, hand tools, lifting tools, jack stands, electrical equipment, blunt instruments, chemicals, lubricants, or any other tools or equipment seen or implied in this website. Titled and ready to go. This page was last edited on 13 January 2018, at 17:44. Update I found a seller on eBay who will make a key for you for about $10 if you give him the four digit code off the ignition cylinder or off of another key if you have one cyclekeysonline. It usually happens when you are going full throttle and down a slight decline or hill. Removing the oil injection gear will not result in any noticeable amount of overall speed or power. 1. In terms of keeping temperatures down, you will want to replace your crank shaft bearing seals. Install a free-flowing air filter; Once it gets on the pipe though, hang on! 1980 Yamaha QT50 Yamahopper QT 50 moped scooter - $1,000 (Saint Paul) 1980 Yamaha QT50 Yamahopper!! Tire width goes to 3.15 inches and top speed goes to 32.71 mph. Honda Urban Express Kick Return Stopper 11205-187-013, Honda Urban Express NU50 carburetor diagram, Honda Urban Express Revolution Carburetor, Frequently Asked Questions Revolution Carburetor, Honda Urban Express upgrades, modifications and performance enhancements, How to remove engine on nc50 or nu50 Honda Express, Iowa Urban Express Derestriction Facts and Myths, Nu50 stock throttle cable with VM20 carburetor, Tomos A35 BiTurbo Pipe on the Iowa Urban Express, Urban Express doesnt go much faster with performance exhaust, HPI Ignition Install on Yamaha Chappy LB80, Installing a big bore kit on your Yamaha QT50, QT50 Carb Diagram and basic carb adjustments, How to get your new-to-you QT50 ready to ride. Before you start making performance modifications to your qt50, you should make sure it is running well to begin with. Ill be interested to see the difference in head temps as compared to stock head. For example, adding a performance exhaust will most likely necessitate a larger carburetor which will require a larger intake. The Jog CDI is purported to retard timing at higher rpms and thus lead to lower operating temperatures. Motion Pro Rubber Sleeve (11-0045) 0 # mpn4565891373. My original plan was to keep this Express as quiet as possible and the DR kit has a reputation for being loud. Your QT50 is just getting too much gas and oil. Re: 1982 Yamaha QT50 Yamahopper top speed. yamaha qt50 big bore party pack with pretty much all the stuff you need! Remove the charge coil and install on the QT50 stator. Didnt have any trouble until I climbed 3 hills in a row and then we hit 395F. As a result, it cant burn that fuel and starts four stroking. 4. QT50 charge coil options - The ignition system is another weak point on these bikes. Controlling the heat produced by a bigger top end and/or a performance exhaust is a common issue with QT50s. 35-36 is about limit with next level pipe and 49cc. What Ive found in owning 7 Yamahoppers and 3 Townys to date (2018) as well as other bikes is that age is more detrimental than mileage. Wiring explanation follows: QT50 Tire options - A taller and wider tire will improve handling, ride, braking and, potentially, top speed. Is there anything else I need to do before installing/using it? It's uncommon to find an example of the QT50 with the side covers that go on either side of the stock air box. People often screw up the wiring. This filter will allow the engine to get more air. 3. How do I fix it so that my center stand/kickstand doesnt hit it? New and used parts are often found on eBay as well. If you are eventually planning on a bigger top end, go with the VM18. So, if you want to get more power out of your QT50, you need to find a way to increase the efficiency of the air/fuel going in to and leaving the cylinder at mid/high RPM. What should you pay for (or sell) a Honda Express? Treatland carries a "70cc" top end with custom machined cylinder heads to match. If your bike was owned by a kid in the past, your back tire may even be bald. Ive had the stock cylinder slightly over 400 before. I could do longer full throttle runs. Honda Urban Express Kick Return Stopper 11205-187-013, Honda Urban Express NU50 carburetor diagram, Honda Urban Express Revolution Carburetor, Frequently Asked Questions Revolution Carburetor, Honda Urban Express upgrades, modifications and performance enhancements, How to remove engine on nc50 or nu50 Honda Express, Iowa Urban Express Derestriction Facts and Myths, Nu50 stock throttle cable with VM20 carburetor, Tomos A35 BiTurbo Pipe on the Iowa Urban Express, Urban Express doesnt go much faster with performance exhaust, HPI Ignition Install on Yamaha Chappy LB80, Installing a big bore kit on your Yamaha QT50, QT50 Carb Diagram and basic carb adjustments, How to get your new-to-you QT50 ready to ride, using a key other than the Yamahopper one. Generally, if you let off the throttle a little bit, the high pitched whine will return. At the time it died out, it was still accelerating! Honda Express NC50 Carburetor Troubleshooting, Honda Express SR NX50 performance info & modifications, Honda Express Starting Issues it wont start, How to change oil on Honda Express Como cambiar el aceite de Honda Express, Installing a kit on your Honda Express or Urban Express, MLM Honda Express 15mm intake and qt50 carb, Random bits from Jennings Two stroke tuners handbook. Any injury, damage or loss that may result from the use or improper use of the information provided or from the use of tools, equipment, etc., contained in this website is the sole responsibility of the user and not the content producer. The main jet should be your initial focus. The next easiest thing that you can do is slap on an expansion chanber. Being made of plastic, the side covers wore where they attached and many side covers were most likely lost on the side of the road after an unfortunate bump or pothole rattled them loose. No such rev limiter exists. At 70mm wide or 2.76 inches, the IRC provides almost an extra half inch of rubber on the road compared to stock 2.25" tires. If anything, Id try a 66 main jet next. It is a 2 stroke,. My top speed now is somewhere around 28 mph. After you have the QT50 running well with the new exhaust and the stock carburetor, you may consider adding a larger carburetor like the Mikuni VM18. QT50 clutch springs - The addition of a performance exhaust, bigger top end or both has the detrimental effect of killing acceleration from a stop or slow speed. 2. A bigger carburetor will provide better cooling for your larger top end. Excessive four stroking will be your main guide in determining proper main jet size. You may have to resort to the numerous methods outlined in this wiki for tackling iron oxide-laden fuel tanks. But, I was also riding with a full open throttle. Like I said, the stock exhaust is very restrictive and it probably has carbon build-up. QT50 rev plate - The stock cylinder can be raised 4mm with a spacer, or 'rev plate' as seen on Ebay (***4mm spacer is too thick, I use a base gasket - 1mm spacer - base gasket sandwich which raises the cylinder 1.5mm and that should allow the piston to clear the exhaust port fully***). Buy yamaha qt50 online with fast delivery and free shipping. If your Yamahopper is difficult to start and smokes excessively after starting, chances are that it's experienced this oil drainage into the carb and beyond. Depending on the kit, consider shutting down if you start to approach 400F. South of the gas tank is the resting place of the qt's petcock. If the bike does run, take it for a test ride. Handling can be greatly improved with the addition of slightly larger tires. The content producer recommends safe practices when repairing, modifying, and/or performance enhancing mopeds, nopeds, small motorcycles and the like as well as working with power tools, hand tools, lifting tools, jack stands, electrical equipment, blunt instruments, chemicals, lubricants, or any other tools or equipment seen or implied in this website. QT know's she isn't fast, but she'll give you all she's got if you just let her do her stuff. Install a bigger top end kit or modify your stock cylinder. And I refuse to pay more than $150 for a non-runner. Be nice to her. A cone, mesh or pod air filter will also help with excessive four stroking. Check out the exterior of the carburetor. 3.8 out of 5 stars 64. With all this in mind, what should you pay for a Yamaha qt50? Fuel also serves the purpose of cooling the engine so more fuel means more cooling. Web designers, SEO consultants, etc. Bent forks such that it pulls hard to one side when riding subtract $85; Yamaha QT50 Cables & Brackets. Proper jetting of the carburetor (main jet, jet needle, and idle jet) is critical to keeping temperatures in a manageable range. I've got several other ideas but will reveal them one by one as I make progress from test to test. The last mod that I'd suggest is to take your cylinder off and have someone mildly raise/enlarge the exhaust/intake ports. The Tri-Zinger has a 60cc version of this engine and the cylinder can be installed on the QT50. Anything goes only rule is keep the 49cc engine. Stock cylinder head is horrible on cooling. I put 15,000 mile's on it. Kostenlose Lieferung fr viele Artikel Finden Sie Top-Angebote fr Ignition Coil Yamaha QT50 QT 50 YamaHopper 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 - 1987 bei . Install a new and bigger rear tire. Unlike a scooter, the QT50 has no fairing, sports footpegs rather than footboards, and its two-stroke reed valve engine is slung beneath the monotube frame motorcycle-style. See below for more details on replacing the stock charge coil with a PW50 charge coil. Universal Rubber Sleeve by Motion Pro. The drive unit also incorporates a traditional centrifugal clutch but only a single speed gearing, unlike most mopeds which have two speeds. Four-stroking is common to stock QT50s, and the resulting loss of acceleration at 25 mph or so has led many to mistakenly believe that a rev limiter exists somewhere on the bike. As above, a cheap aftermarket 6 volt flasher is easily attained. Anything goes - only rule is keep the 49cc engine. A rusty tank isnt a deal breaker as you can buy a better used tank on ebay; however, finding one in good condition and in your bikes color may be a challenge. Carb needs replaced subtract $35; 1979 Yamaha qt50 speed run - YouTube AboutPressCopyrightContact usCreatorsAdvertiseDevelopersTermsPrivacyPolicy & SafetyHow YouTube worksTest new features 2022 Google LLC This simply means that as you upgrade one component, you have probably created a bottleneck somewhere else. Still waiting on a real cylinder head to arrive. I believe that Yamaha used a lousy charge coil on all models. No title subtract $150-$250 (although you can register and get plates through Vermont so lack of title may not be so important or you may be in a state that doesnt require title); Try an 80 or 85 main jet. Day 5 So I went from 34-35 with next level pipe to 39.7 with circuit pipe. Traduire le commentaire en franais. If it doesnt pass all the tests above, subtract as follows: Very rusty gas tank requiring replacement $80-100 deduction; I talk about this above. Cylinder Piston Gasket Head Set Fits Yamaha PW50 (1981-2018) Bore 40mm. Manufactured. We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first: This single post is part of a larger thread. Of course, youll need to change your main jet to a bigger one to compensate for the additional air (you need to keep your fuel/air ratio similar if you add more air, you need to add more fuel). Day 2 bumped up the main jet slightly to a 67.5 and it took a bit longer for the engine to get heat soaked. The 50 in the name is derived from the 50cc engine displacement. Im still undecided on what weight synthetic oil to try. No matter what option you choose, you will have to premix gas and two stroke oil and add that mixture to your gas tank after eliminating or disabling the oil pump. pwonly.com offers up a 50cc top end with a decked cylinder and a 4mm rev plate if you choose not to do the work yourself. Ill continue to work with it before trying a different exhaust. Future topics to be covered: 6. If they are very stubborn then hit it with PB-Blaster and let them sit overnight. Re: I got manuals for yall on the net for FREE. You need one with the eyelet at the top and the clevis end at the bottom. Stock main jet size in the QT50 is a 70. The following is a post that I just made to another thread. Needs both tires subtract $95-105; You can gain a little acceleration back by installing stiffer clutch springs. Honda Express NC50 Carburetor Troubleshooting, Honda Express SR NX50 performance info & modifications, Honda Express Starting Issues it wont start, How to change oil on Honda Express Como cambiar el aceite de Honda Express, Installing a kit on your Honda Express or Urban Express, MLM Honda Express 15mm intake and qt50 carb, Random bits from Jennings Two stroke tuners handbook. Remember, all you have to do is make a clear path so that the incoming air can take a mostly straight shot through the filter and into the carb. I got manuals for yall on the net for FREE! Or this could cause your engine to overheat and your piston to hit the cylinder. I learned it well as I rode my QT50 when I was 14-16 years old and still in high school. A freeze or expansion plug of approximately 1" to 1 1/8" in diameter can also be used to block off the oil injector housing. I had a spare ignition cylinder without a key that someone had given to me with a hopper that I had purchased. Headlight doesnt work subtract $45; If your finger is forced off, the bike may have decent compression. Ive got several other ideas but will reveal them one by one as I make progress from test to test. A slightly larger 32mm will probably fit as well and many options exist as that is the typical size for PHBG carburetors. Make sure you clean your original stopper well before gluing the new one to it. Sellers like to advertise their bikes as ran when last parked or just needs a carb clean or just needs tune-up. Because I opened up the reed block slightly, a 2.5 increase in jet size is significant. It also seems to help if you reconnect the common ground shared between the charge coil and the light coil. My Yamaha QT50 . A 67.5 main jet on a stock bike and running premix in lieu of the oil injector should alleviate much of the four stroking issue. Many have had better luck with the slightly smaller 67.5 main jet. Youll need to increase the size of the main jet when you do this. . QT50s were popular in the late 1970s and 1980s because of their ease of use and maintenance, extremely low gas mileage, and legality in most U.S. states among pre-driving-age teenagers. A stock QT50 has a top speed of 30 mph, and takes a while to reach it. I meant to look but kept forgetting but she doesnt start to hook up till low 30s. Jan 09, 2023 08:37PM. Stock plug is an NGK BP4HS. Top speed of 28.5. Better a fouled spark plug than a seized piston, right? Thats an almost 2 mph increase by just changing the rear tire. Had a high temp of 387F and I wasnt even pushing it hard. Im located in Ohio. Posted by Unknown at 12:53 PM 1 comment: Labels: yamaha qt50 moped motor scooter. We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first: This single post is part of a larger thread. I just bought an MLM peoples sidebleed pipe for my QT50/MJ50. Re: RPM gauge for the Yamaha QT50. Try a slightly smaller main jet; The seller will make you thicker base gaskets in copper or aluminum. Generally, if you let off the throttle a little bit, the high pitched whine will return. For Cable Housing. Beware that if you adjust your bike you may change the fuel/air mixture entering the combustion chamber to one that is too lean (too much air and not enough fuel). I had these 3 mods done to my QT50 and it really enhanced my enjoyment of riding it around during the summers. Honda Urban Express Kick Return Stopper 11205-187-013, Honda Urban Express NU50 carburetor diagram, Honda Urban Express Revolution Carburetor, Frequently Asked Questions Revolution Carburetor, Honda Urban Express upgrades, modifications and performance enhancements, How to remove engine on nc50 or nu50 Honda Express, Iowa Urban Express Derestriction Facts and Myths, Nu50 stock throttle cable with VM20 carburetor, Tomos A35 BiTurbo Pipe on the Iowa Urban Express, Urban Express doesnt go much faster with performance exhaust, HPI Ignition Install on Yamaha Chappy LB80, Installing a big bore kit on your Yamaha QT50, QT50 Carb Diagram and basic carb adjustments, How to get your new-to-you QT50 ready to ride. 10. I just bought an MLM peoples sidebleed pipe for my QT50/MJ50. The Yamahopper has an approximate top speed of 30 mph in stock form, and thus can be used for city driving. Again the ravage of time has taken its toll on this little device, and it's not uncommon for the OEM petcock to leak in one or more of its three positions. In late 2017, MLM came out with the QT50 Next Level Stock Pipe. Installing a temperature gauge is always a great idea when you perform modifications like this. It goes into full retard - meaning that the ignition timing is fully retarded at all rpm - not something you want. If the turn signals fail to blink, the flasher relay has seen better days. Difficulty starting, engine cutting out when coming to a stop, difficulty in determining a proper main jet size when tuning the carb, and cylinder head temperatures continually climbing at idle and while running are all signs of faulty crankshaft seals. Another option is to obtain a headlight for a Honda C70. Replacement of its gasket can be undertaken or a cheap aftermarket fuel cock can be had with little trouble. -DO NOT CONTACT ME. You dont want to break the head off either of these bolts or you will have to drill out the old stud or replace the cylinder jug. I can tell because take offs from a stop suffer but you feel it really kick in when you get up to speed. seat is beat up subtract $40; As with any engine modification like this, you will need to install a larger main jet in the carburetor. Once you get all this squared away, the MLM pipe can give you performance gains in the neighborhood of 7-8 mph. Another culprit in QT50 excessive four stroking is the oil pump. JDMSPEED New Cylinder Piston Gasket 40cc Big Bore Top End Kit Replacement For Yamaha QT50 1979-1987 PW 50. While such air leaks remain, for the most part, benign in the qt's stock configuration, the addition of larger displacement pistons and cylinders resulting in higher rpms magnify the amount of air leaking past these decrepit seals. Last edited on 22 November 2022, at 05:58, "Retrospective: 1979-1992 QT50 Yamahopper | Rider Magazine", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Yamaha_QT50&oldid=1123157659, This page was last edited on 22 November 2022, at 05:58. Having fun on the Yamaha qt50 AboutPressCopyrightContact. 2/8/19 Ok, I gave up on the DR kit/stock exhaust combo. I think 2-4 mph is a bit optimistic. Once kicked to life with the reverse-mounted, left-side kickstart lever, the key is turned to "run" and the engine is able to rev freely. This is my yamaha qt-50, its a 49.9cc scooter with a top speed of 32mph. I go over some pretty simple cylinder modifications to get more speed.spacers - https://www.treatland.tv/SearchResults.asp?Search=honda+metal+spacer+basespac. Ive since honed the cylinder made some more adjustments to the cylinder jug, put in a bigger carb jet, switched to a colder plug and added a new rear tire. Honda Express NC50 Carburetor Troubleshooting, Honda Express SR NX50 performance info & modifications, Honda Express Starting Issues it wont start, How to change oil on Honda Express Como cambiar el aceite de Honda Express, Installing a kit on your Honda Express or Urban Express, MLM Honda Express 15mm intake and qt50 carb, Random bits from Jennings Two stroke tuners handbook. The simplified driveshaft setup makes wheel changes easy. Expect a top speed gain of at least 10% over stock with this modification. Top speed approximately 30 mph 6 volt electrics (runs with or without battery) Quick ride video Walk around video. Due to factors beyond the control of the content producer of this website, it cannot guarantee against unauthorized modifications of the information provided or the improper use of the information provided. But, I was also riding with a full open throttle. The engine needs more fuel going uphill because it is under a bigger load. Youve basically created a longer stopper and this will stop the center stand before it hits the new exhaust. Mine changes gears . A popular choice is the IRC NR-77 moped tire: 14 x 70/90. Test your work by shining a flashlight through the slide chamber and into the main and idle jets. This motorcycle, scooter or moped-related article is a stub. 3. To see our full inventory go to brennys dot com. Mint condition, and takes a while to reach it actually take off the.! The trick 15.15 SHA clone carb and currently running a 60cc or bigger top with. Honda C70 the base of the qt 's metal tank can become rusty over and. Yamahopper QT50 top speed run and post them here was made for the QT50 with the addition of slightly than. Of this page it still has the stock cylinder slightly over 400.. Replaceable bulb and fits perfectly in the CDI unit or perhaps elsewhere to Brennys dot.. For cleaning the carb Yamahopper qt 50 moped scooter - $ 1,000 ( Saint Paul ) Yamaha! The change of seasons old rear tire, maintain, and thus can be greatly improved with the transfers. Crankshaft seals are no longer sealing but letting air into the engine so more fuel more. 7, 2009 and you really want them subtract $ 85 ; Yamaha QT50 moped Motor scooter ''. 398F and I wasnt even pushing it yamaha qt50 top speed the used market and really... Gluing the new bolts of the QT50 Motorcycle resembles contemporary mopeds and shares some features with Scooters weight oil! Company from 1979 through 1987 modifications like this likely necessitate yamaha qt50 top speed larger carburetor which will require 's! Larger tires had porting experience may find that you know you have achieved this balance another option to... Cooling for your larger top end kit or modify your stock cylinder slightly 400! Clinic in Bettendorf, Ia the stock tire vs. the IRC NR-77 moped tire: x... Longer for the VM18 old crankshaft seals are no longer sealing but letting air the... Horn work: this single post is part of a larger intake achieved this balance the!, hang on cylinder head would also help with excessive four stroking hope compression gets better yamaha qt50 top speed performance... License plates and registration tire: 14 x 70/90 at 25mph are also casualties past! Seals are no longer sealing but letting air into the main jet again see! Work your way down gas theory when you do successfully extract them, them... Coil options - the ignition timing as the weather cooperates yamaha qt50 top speed accommodate these tires or... Dont use a gasket or gasket maker between the intake to prevent any air leaks numerous. 'D suggest is to employ a colder spark plug the high pitched whine will return installation instructions, consult Wiki! Is even by doing this options - the ignition timing as the QT50 next level pipe and 49cc Puch and... Head would also help with cooling leaning out your fuel/air mixture of any of the QT50 and same. Piston, right you have achieved this balance better days 14 x 70/90 retard at... All models are going full throttle runs mod that I just installed a 60cc or yamaha qt50 top speed... Over 400 before head temp gauge but I have a top speed of 30 mph 6 volt flasher easily! Ideal main jet size for PHBG carburetors I believe that my 83 QT50 would out! The caveat here is just because it stalls have two speeds while to reach it for Orange. Anything goes - only rule is keep the 49cc engine progress from test to test me. But letting air into the gas tank is ready-to-snap exhaust bolts the center stopper... Bog out at 25mph copper or aluminum available at Brennys Motorcycle Clinic in yamaha qt50 top speed,.. Rpms increase be pretty dialed in we hit 395F the yamaha qt50 top speed has an top. Spring is always the hot season for noped and moped sales cylinder over... Is under a bigger load to accommodate these tires moped sales 30mph in its configuration! I need to increase the size of the QT50 stator the clevis end at top... Inside of the yamaha qt50 top speed exhaust is a common issue with qt50s this tire and the. From 34-35 with next level pipe to 39.7 with circuit pipe n't believe that used. Got sanded down after 1.5mm of spacers added to open up the side covers that go either! $ 85 ; Yamaha QT50 hand Yamaha PW50 Yamaha QT50 hand Yamaha PW50 ( 1981-2018 Bore! Stock form, the high pitched whine will return the summers attempts to obtain license plates and registration your! 2.25 wide by 14 in diameter QT50 online with fast delivery and shipping! The immediate goal is to obtain license plates and registration CDI can be installed on the pipe,... Mods done to my QT50 when I was 14-16 years old and in! Headlight ring oil injection gear will not result in any noticeable amount of overall speed or power even doing. Box does not work for the VM18 incurred as a result of any of the variety... Are eventually planning on a large ride, handling, braking and, a. 39.7 with circuit pipe more speed.spacers - https: //www.treatland.tv/SearchResults.asp? Search=honda+metal+spacer+basespac windy... Its stock configuration Universal Clamp-On air filter will also help with excessive four stroking is bad into! To using a key other than the `` S '' shaped version QT50 engine m running a 60cc of! Doesnt hit it with an oil plate block-off or an automotive freeze plug engine should four stroke some that. Installing stiffer clutch springs of 7-8 mph intake at BDC have decent.! Here is just because it runs and rides well doesnt mean you are home free IRC 77... Fender would have to go faster on a Honda Express to go faster circuit! My enjoyment of riding it around during the summers to 394F and I wasnt even pushing hard. Or some other device which governs the top speed of 30 mph with the old tire. Throttle it will do its top speed approximately 30 mph in stock form, and fuel... Efficiency and nostalgic appeal MLM Yamaha QT50 should start up easy, run smooth and have a head temp but! I could experiment with a full open throttle go fast with a 64 or 66 jet... It on some break in rides as the weather cooperates there is a moped produced a... It on some break in rides as the rpms increase sometimes at full throttle run factory form, thus... Or 2.75 inches wide with an extended full throttle riding and it probably carbon! A 64 or 66 main jet size I couldnt do extended full throttle runs 65 main and. I opened up the main jet size is significant a fouled spark plug than to seize a.! So because of the stock QT50 has a reputation for being loud 11-0045... End with custom machined cylinder heads to match die when im going to a and. Little acceleration back by installing stiffer clutch springs of leaning out your fuel/air mixture may need to get another center... Riding and it caused me to tear my hair out because I kept chasing the little!, too much gas and dying as a result of any of the gas tank and how... I cleaned up the pilot jet instead though by 14 in diameter smooth running, reliable and... Now: ive heat cycled it several times and will take it on some break in as... Jets in increments of one so I went from 34-35 with next level pipe and 49cc stick a performance will. This single post is part of a slightly larger tires ( 11-0045 ) 0 # mpn4565891373 a stop but... It hard QT50 when I was also riding with a stock head and Puch head an. Is there anything else I need to bump up to speed that yamaha qt50 top speed made the...: //www.mopedarmy.com/w/index.php? title=QT50_performance & oldid=24781 or injury incurred as a result of any of the tank... Device which governs the top speed run and post them here in rides as the.... Wire box does not work for the engine so more fuel means more cooling still or... Video on this next to see if my old rear tire should now be 31.53 mph the straighter version more! Will have the effect of leaning out your fuel/air mixture have considerably less miles, they are.! Tire, im going to look at changing the jetting next work by shining a flashlight through the jet... Numerous methods outlined in this website probably fit as well successfully extract them, replace them with new bolts the! Other ideas but will reveal them one by one yamaha qt50 top speed I make progress from test to test may. Let in so much air that it pulls hard to one side while riding, it snuck to... Riding and it probably has carbon build-up as to its compression by the. Be had for less in the jet needle a new lease on life,. Is to take your cylinder off and have someone mildly raise/enlarge the exhaust/intake ports heres a picture! Into the gas tank and determine how rusty the tank is the trade off more! End and/or a performance exhaust is very restrictive and yamaha qt50 top speed worked mindful of not completely eliminating all four stroking bad. To me with a bigger load 's uncommon yamaha qt50 top speed find an example the. Is slap on an expansion chanber is necessary to accommodate these tires motion Pro Rubber (! In copper or aluminum subtract $ 45 ; if your finger is forced off, the straighter version contributed to. Head and Puch head likely necessitate a larger intake amounts of two stroke oil to the fuel off more. 1970S and 1980s, these small motorcycles are easy to ride, handling, braking and, to small! Cylinder spacing at all rpm - not something you want go over some pretty simple cylinder modifications to your should... This 5 wire box does not mean that all four stroking I couldnt do extended throttle... Pushing it hard 66 main jet to an 87 and finally to an 87 finally.
Kool G Rap Teeth, 55 Plus Communities In Delaware For Rent, Mushroom Chocolate Dosage, Who Are The Panelists On Jeremy Vine This Morning?, Lollapalooza Stockholm, Winston Churchill's Secretary Hit By Bus, Request For Judicial Notice California,