So why don't you see more otters playing in the park on a Sunday afternoon? iPhone 11 Otter + Pop Symmetry Series Case - amazon.com Theyre not for us to publish to get likes ! Otters are generally well loved in Singapore. As a pet, otter ownership can be difficult for a variety of reasons, but owning one is not an easy choice. When you are walking, you have to focus on walking because there are so many factors that come into playbalance, proprioceptionand you can't take those for granted.". Finger Monkey Lifespans: How Long Do Pygmy Marmosets Live as Pets? Point is people that invest this kind of money on pets love them. Question: Are otters legal to have as pets in North Carolina? you, have, a, pet, otter, in, australia, can. An otters diet can vary. Members of the Mustelidae family, otters are related to weasels, badgers, honey badgers, martens, minks, polecats and wolverines. What is the Difference Between a Donkey, a Mule and an Ass? They bite and they have glands to produce a vile smell , people get those removed , its cruel. Some animals are illegal to keep in Queensland. Living with a Pet Otter There are many effects which you should be aware of before getting a pet otter. Question: Are otters legal to keep as pets in Georgia? All you say and recommend is ethically against your Vet degree! many native mammals have large home-ranges and need to kept in large outdoor enclosures. Using food dispensing devices available for dogs and cats that must be manipulated to dispense treats. In the United States, it is legal to own an otter with a license, although regulations vary from state to state. These animals are also preys in the wild and keeping these animals as pet increase their chances of survival greatly. Specifically, Missouri, North Carolina, Florida, Nebraska and a handful of other states appear to allow the private-ownership of otters. OTTERS as PETS Why It's a BAD IDEA - YouTube Comment * document.getElementById("comment").setAttribute( "id", "a42687def9b0fea2fd9b99208cd94d0d" );document.getElementById("ae31964646").setAttribute( "id", "comment" ); Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Therefore, purchasing an otter can do more harm than good and is not advised. Additionally, there may be wildlife rehabilitation centers in your area that need volunteers to help care for injured or orphaned otters. Instead, consider visiting them at a zoo or wildlife sanctuary, where you can observe and appreciate these amazing animals in a safe and responsible manner. It is illegal to keep almost all otters as pets in North America, with one exception. While it's common to keep dogs and cats as pets, other unique and interesting animals including reptiles, insects, amphibians and terrestrial . Can you have an Otter as a Pet? - Petaddon Its so sad everyone just dont care about an species wellbeing just for the fact you as a human want to be cool having a otter pet. Smell may seem a minor consideration, but should not be overlooked. Otter Encounter: How to Have an Unforgettable Experience with Otters As always, wed be delighted to read your comments. Although the ferret needs their own considerations when adopted into a family, they are more suited to the role of domestic pet and are a good recommendation for those who previously considered having an otter as a pet. It is illegal in all US States to keep this indigenous otter as a pets. Asian small-clawed otter: This is the only otter to have entered the pet trade. The space aka property with a huge pond that I would build a huge enclosure around. Vets are expensive. Obtaining a permit for keeping an otter is difficult, if not impossible. There are many otters kept in captivity, but these are in animal welfare centers, zoos or conservation areas. Have a secondary pond/enclosure that I keep stocked with fish,frogs, and other native species that I would let my baby out in daily and go swimming with it. You need a vet. -They are relatively low-maintenance, compared to other animals. Plumbing fixture you fuck an otter as a pet linear unit australia OTTERS as PETS Reason It's a BAD Thought. Living in captivity is simply not a good life for an otter. But. White ceramic money box Personalised. Most people do not know what they are doing. Laura Tindle - Ecological Project Officer - Middlemarch Environmental Pet Guide: How to Care for a Pet Emperor Scorpion, Blue Parakeets: 5 Step Complete Care and Color Mutation Guide, How Long Do Budgie or Parakeet Live as Pets? : They are not illegal to breed. Aggression when stressed. Are otters dangerous? When I worked for the park service, every year after easter people dump the bunnies,chicks and ducks they got for kids in the park because they grew up and couldn't handle them. As a vet you shouldnt explain people what to do if they still wanna keep a wild pet! Here are some pros and cons to consider: Pros: -Otters are very playful and active, which can make them fun pets. Don't even get us started on baby otter pups. Avoid rigid structure in order to prevent stereotypic behavior. What is a good pet? Hi I'm looking to buy a otter I want to know how much they go for. Do pet otters smell? All goods sold at cash converters are cleaned and tested to ensure you're completely satisfied with your purchase. Find Out Now! Scent and Body Odour The otters emit an odour and that is the reason they are kept outdoors. You'll also need access to plenty of fish. When it appears that an otter is legal under one statute but not another, the animal may be regulated by several laws. Otters are so adorable, I can understand why we would want to have them as a pet, but it's not right. Also watch for signs of bacterial infection to the wound. Even if it weren't, keeping wild animals as pets is not a good idea. Pets banned in Alabama - al.com Not to mention that an otter in a home life most likely is not going to get the water time he needs. But there is one species, the Asian small-clawed otter, which could be legal in some states. Otters As Pets - Do Otters Make Good Family Pets? - Pet Blog Note that you still require special permits in many of these states, and local city governments also stipulate whether it is legal or illegal to keep exotic animals within city limits, so make sure you find out this information before buying an otter! Do otters cuddle? In so many States in the USA it is illegal to keep a pet otter. However, there are few countries which appear to favor having otters as pets. They are considered to be very high-maintenance, as you would imagine. Otters in this genus are characterized by only partial webbing between their toes, and small, blunt, peg-like claws. However, if you have ever seen one having a snooze while going down river, opening up lunch on their bellies or rollicking in the water with their friends, only the meanest of the mean wouldn't find them enchanting. I just wanna make sure. They're cute and playful when you see them on nature specials and at zoos, but in reality: They aren't domesticated in the slightest. Eric Farmer from Rockford Illinois on February 18, 2018: On one hand, this sounded somewhat cute but some of the things you listed as negatives really turn me off owning an Otter as a pet. - Repeat the above steps to add more items as needed. If you are bit by an otter, you'll need to treat the wound immediately. Otters need a tropical climate. Otters can also dig, so the enclosure will need to have deep walls underground. Most pet otters are actually owned by private zoos and animal educators. Nutritionally complete cat food can serve as a base subsistence food. The larger the group, the larger the smear. Why is is not right to have an OTTER as a PET? This article is very upfront and honest, however when reading the comments I was overwhelmed with all the ignorance. Dogs can infect otters with canine distemper and rabies. EXOTIC ANIMALS ARE NOT PETS. Aquarium where you can touch otters? - aquariums - 2023 No, you cannot keep an otter as a therapy animal. The IUCN guidelines don't even provide a the space for a single otter as otters are social animals that need at least one other otter for company. Are there any research programs to help repopulate endangered species of otters such as the Congo clawless otter which so little is known about. They prefer flat stones that are as wide as a large orange. If you want to interact with otters, consider visiting a zoo or aquarium or volunteering with a wildlife rehabilitation center. Otters are accustomed to preying on live animals; hunting is an integral part of an otters life. Dont take this as an endorsement of keeping them, but in purely legal terms, you may be able to own an otter in the following states: In the majority of the US, it is completely illegal to keep an otter as a pet. Im in Canada, BC, and it didnt say anything about owning a pet otter, and I left a comment on the other page, but I was wondering if its legal in BC. 'Otterly' Amazing Facts Explained: Can You Have An Otter As A Pet? Other otter species, like the ocean otter and giant otter, can reach lengths of 6 ft (1.8m), as long as a tall human. This can be fed irregularly with a "scatter" method to ward off stereotypic behaviorsomething that occurs when certain animals are fed at specific times. For example, in Nevada, lions and elephants are actually legal to own, but fennec foxes (which weigh 3 lbs) are not. South Carolina: In South Carolina, otter ownership is allowed with a permit from the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources. A otter is a species protected by both state and federal wildlife laws, and it is illegal to take them from the wild. Objects, such as hollowed-out lots, well-placed shrubs and trees, and items of cage furniture. The name otter derives from the Old English word otor which, alongside other Indo-European cognates, ultimately stems from the root word *wdr, which, you guessed it, gives us the modern word water.