12. But Its Still Awesome Facts. Whitehorse was incorporated into a city in 1950. 4. Whitehorse is on the Peel River, which has a history of, 1. ThoughtCo. 1. Ill have to do more research on both as I have heard of the McBride Museum but know nothing about Sam McGees cabin. The Alaska Highway, and the Klondike Gold Rush, changed Whitehorse forever, and helped to make it the city it is today. Of course if you can sing a song or tell a joke, they will let you out. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. On average there are 269 hours of bright sunshine in June but only 27 hours of bright sunshine in December. outlawed single-use plastic bags in 2022, and single-use paper bags Jan. 1 of this year. (6) My absolute highlight of Whitehorse things to do was the canoe trip down the Yukon River. Ive gone from weekend traveller, to solo digital nomad, to owning a home in sunny Southsea, UK holidaying when I can. Sadly there was none, but that grilled sandwich was everything. Theres a strong economic boom in Whitehorse and many people have more than one job to make the most of it. Whitehorse is referred to as The Wilderness City. You can spend the afternoon shopping in Whitehorse to stock up on tasty, beautiful goodies. Whitehorse is on the Teslin River, a tributary of the Yukon River in Southern Yukon. The tight curves of the White Pass called for a narrow gauge railroad. (20) Yeah, its basically the Canadian Starbucks, but have you been to Canada if you didnt have a Tim Hortons? The food market is set in the heart of Whitehorse. .ld_social_icons_64032837e97cf a{width: !important;height: !important;}.ld_social_icons_64032837e97cf li a{color:!important;border-color:!important;background-color:!important;}.ld_social_icons_64032837e97cf li a:hover{border-color:!important;color:!important;background-color:!important;}.ld_custom_menu_6403283802713 > ul > li > a{color:rgb(255, 255, 255);}.ld_custom_menu_6403283802713 > ul > li:not(:last-child){margin-bottom:6px;}.lqd-stickybar > .lqd-head-col > .header-module > .ld_custom_menu_6403283802713 li{margin-inline-start:6px;}.ld_custom_menu_6403283802713 > ul > li > a:hover, .ld_custom_menu_6403283802713 li.is-active > a{color:rgb(36, 154, 145);} LOOKING FOR COOL WHITEHORSE ACCOMMODATION? 5. If you want to know more, then the best place to start would be the impressive Kwanlin Dn Cultural Centre. The closest big Canadian city is Edmonton 1,994 kilometres away. 11. Another main attraction on the calendar each February since 1984 is the Yukon Quest International Sled Dog Race. 10 Things to know before moving to Canada, The Top 3 Nakusp Hot Springs in British Columbia. I do appreciate that there is some distance to White Pass but for hiking the Chilkoot Trail Whitehorse for Canadians is usually the city to start in followed by a bus to Skagway. And with 416.5 km, Whitehorse is a city with SPACE. Its the most photographed spot in the Yukon and was formed by a lava vent that happened 8.5 million years ago. Whitehorse is on the Peel River, which has a history of gold mining. Whitehorse Fishway on the Yukon River at the Whitehorse dam is the longest wooden fish ladder in the world at 366 meters (1,200 feet) long. It was incorporated in 1950 and is located at kilometre 1426 (Historic Mile 918) on the Alaska Highway in southern Yukon. It helps migrating Chinook salmon on the final leg of their epic journey. They have over 70 currencies and you can get free delivery to your home, or to collect in over 11,500 branches with 0% commission. The long summer days and long winter nights in the Arctic are due to the tilt of the earth. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. One of the main urban centres in New Brunswick, the city had a population of 58,220 in the 2016 Canadian Census. The yukon, a territory in northwest canada, is wild, mountainous and sparsely populated. Im a local guide. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. 6. Whitehorse, the capital city of the Yukon Territory of Canada, is a major northern hub. The closest big Canadian city is Edmonton 1,994 kilometres away. You can book a car hire and do it that way, take a road trip. The Hot springs are only 30 minutes by car. Make sure you book yourself into a window seat for the flights in and out of Whitehorse. The menu looked great and I wouldve loved to try some chicken wings too, but I had a week in the Yukon, this wasnt a sprint. Only after the Highway went in did the train start losing money and only ran to Bennett for I dont know how long as this was after I moved out. Carving artists like Keith Wolfe Smarch and Lorraine M. Wolfe are preserving and progressing traditional First Nations art in the territory to this day. At brunch one afternoon, a Smoked Salmon Benny with spinach and house-made hollandaise along with a Mimosa was delicious, as was the Maple Banger and Eggs featuring locally made maple-infused Bratwurst sausage served with two eggs. Ravens can talk and sing with an ability to make more than 100 vocalizations. Which is a surprisingly exciting place to be. standard form contract facebook; how to treat mange in cats at home twitter; moon drop grapes uk instagram; arrow olivia sewing table youtube; custom teku glassware mail; Edit this in WPZOOM Theme Options 800-123-456. Gathering at the starting line to watch the teams depart the dogs going bonkers with adrenaline was genuinely thrilling for both adults and children. A true adventurer, Leigh prefers wilderness experiences, camping and glamping in unique locations, long hikes, multi-day bike rides and paddling trips where few people go. Whitehorse is a 2.5 hour flight from Vancouver. In summer you can take the chairlift up Mount Sima, the local ski hill, and bike back down. Most popular summer activities include paddling, hiking, mountain biking, and hiking. And a visit is illuminating in other ways when one starts chatting with staffers. I wouldnt want to hit it on w=one of its super cold days but I think its the winter dark that would bother me more. Whitehorse is the only place in Canada that has its own garbage truck Santa:) you should check it out at Christmas time. (Rely If You Know) It was filled to capacity every summer and most of the winter as long as the plows could keep it clear. I went to the Dawson City Music Festival thanks to Destination Canada and Travel Yukon. The five year growth rate has been about 11.6%. On this Tuesday morning I saw only a handful of people, cars running at around 10mph (always stopping to let people past), and the sound of nature had a voice in the quiet. My great uncle Archabald Hall was from Whitehorse. Anyway, thanks for enlightening us on this destination. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. The largest census agglomeration is South Klondike, with 1,094 people living there in January 2016, up from 1,077 people in 2011, 910 people in 2006 and 875 people in 2001. Previously it was Dawson City. Theres a lot of things to do in Whitehorse for the adventurous traveller. There's a Canada Games Centre, which 3000 people attend every day. (If youre new to Airbnb,get 25 off your first stay!). Id worried about the fact I hadnt bought a coat but just a few minutes in the air flying north from Vancouver and the sun was out, the clouds reflecting white painfully in my eyes if I sat too far forward. @Donna I was in the city for a few days in March 2016 and thought it to be quite delightful.Thanks for taking the time to comment. No such headaches at Whitehorses, , Canadas largest film festival north of the 60th parallel, which just wrapped its 21. edition screening 101 films in two theatres, one in central Whitehorse. In 1907, the same year both Port Arthur and Fort William received their . French speaking students sued for a high school and won. Is it weird to love a hotel booking website? You can easily look for parking options, internet, reviews, location and I love that most of the properties can be cancelled with no charge. The 11-metre totem was erected for the students of Aboriginal schools. The capital of Yukon and largest city in northern Canada (population around 32,000) may be notoriously cold and dark in winter, and endlessly day-lit in summer. I eagerly scanned the riverbanks for any wildlife. It was built to celebrate local First Nations culture, and to teach all the Canadian, and world, communities about their practices. 30 Interesting Facts About Montreal, Canada Aerial photo of downtown Montreal, Canada. I didnt realise how much more I was about to learn about the Gold Rush up here in my next destination, Dawson City. Your email address will not be published. Whitehorse is also the top place to visit in the Yukon. The coldest temperature ever recorded was 32.8 C on 29 January 1877. @Jacine I am glad you have added your two cents worth. Among the studios services are implementing cremated ashes into works of glass-blown art. 7. On the winter solstice the sun rises at 10:10 AM and sets at 3:48 PM. The trails are open 24 hours per day. This led to fast progress in the city, and it grew fast. (13) I was treated to some beautiful sunrises from my early morning jetlag in Whitehorse, and it meant you could wander the streets at night feeling like it was morning. Hostelworld I used to work for HostelBookers so it feels weird to recommend HostelWorld, but since they bought HB out, I feel its ok. Theyre the best hostel booking site on the internet with the largest inventory and best search interface. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other. The average annual household income is $120.000 compared to Metro Vancouver's average of $63.000. The famous Yukon Quest the toughest dogsledding race. I hope that gives you an idea of how north youll be! Awesome,God willing I like to settle in Yukon with my family.lovely sceneries.i have been trying to get jobs there so as to apply through the Yukon community program. But, yes, it does get cold here, too, with an average of -18C in the winter. (23) I was desperate to go to Rib and Salmon in Whitehorse and tried both nights I was there. Just 50 cents got me a lemonade, AND a blueberry muffin. A handful of restaurants dominate the core, among them, offering seafood sourced from the Yukon, Alaska, and B.C., as well as locally sourced meats, and game-centric. Council is seeking expressions of interest from people involved in Whitehorse sport, recreation or physical activity or groups who would like to become a member of the Whitehorse Sport and Recreation Reference Group for a one or two-year term. Yellowknife is a superb spot for fishing. All children in Canada should have a right to be taught in their own language. The Beringia Land Bridge once linked North America and Asia about 30,000 to 16,000 years ago. It only gets to -30+ occasionally in the winter. Warm-blooded horses usually tending to be energetic and nervy and thus needing more experienced care. When I lived in Whitehorse in the 60s and 70s (left in 81) the Whitepass Train came all the way to Whitehorse from Skagway, AK. The Yukon discharges into the Bering Sea after flowing northwestward and then generally southwestward through a low . Founded in 2016 by Luann Baker-Johnson, Lumel offers workshops for every age and ability, catering to school and team-building groups as well as walk-ins, helping guests spin, smush, and shape molten glass into paperweights and small vases during informative, hands-on sessions. Whitehorse is situated in the wide valley of the Yukon River, and the Yukon River flows right through town. 2 The White House's Architect Wasn't American The White House was designed by James Hoban, an Irish architect who began his stateside career in Philadelphia in 1785. Ashes become art that is treasured by the family, explains Hilary, who adds that Lumel personnel can also create custom glass-blown urns, like a John Deere tractor created for a departed farmer. There are broad valleys and big lakes around the city. The largest weathervane in the world is in Whitehorse. Arriving about an hour before the 11 a.m. start, we freely roamed the parking lot where handlers and mushers prepped their highly athletic canines with warm booties and words of encouragement. Moved here almost 15 years ago from Vancouver, British Columbia and am never going back. I had the wonderful Toni as my tour leader who told me as much as she could about living in Whitehorse, in just 90 minutes. The race covers 150 miles on Great Slave Lake and takes place over three days. Our guide, lifelong Yukoner Teena Dickson of Who What Where Tours, recalled visiting the long-standing and much-storied place as a child when it was the family-owned Yukon Game Farm. I couldnt check in to my hotel the Edgewater as it was so early, and so wandered along the front, admiring the Yukon River and taking in the fresh mountain air after the stuffiness of my long flights. @Yuky Actually have been 4 times and this post was written a while ago. @Bree Thats a great addition and I have heard about it since writing this post. I stayed at the Edgwater Hotel. In Whitehorse only 8.4 % of the population is over 65, less than the national average. T&C Policy @Susan I think hearing the stories directly from the First Nations people and understanding what each symbol stands for lends so much more to the experience. Its incredibly fun to sculpt something from scorching hot glass that you can take home. Every Thursday local food trucks come to Whitehorse to help you fill up on tasty produce. I want to use my travel experience to help you plan your trips, and introduce you to some new and special spots Ive loved around the world. Close to 80 per cent remains pristine wilderness. If youre bored or hungry in Whitehorse, youre not trying, even in winter. This little land measures a teeny tiny 1.6 km. I had a great time there. "Whitehorse, Capital of Yukon." If you enter be prepared to paddle 18 hours a day. Leigh McAdam is an award-winning photographer and three-time author. Here are 40 interesting facts about horses. Canadian Staycation: Must-See Stops and Stays in Yukon, Ticket to Ride: Back in the Saddle and Back to Nature in the Yukon, The Yukon: A Wonderland With Endless Possibilities, EXPLORE HealthMoneyTravelFoodStyleBook ClubClassifieds#ZoomerDailyPolicy & PerspectiveArts & EntertainmentStars & RoyaltySex & Love, SUBSCRIBE Terms of Subscription ServiceE-NewslettersSubscribe to Zoomer Magazine, BROWSE AboutMastheadContact UsAdvertise with UsPrivacy Policy, EverythingZoomer.com is part of the ZoomerMedia Digital Network. All you need to know about your next epic vacation destination. The Carcross Desert is affectionately known as the smallest in the world A handful of restaurants dominate the core, among them Wayfarer Oyster House, offering seafood sourced from the Yukon, Alaska, and B.C., as well as locally sourced meats, and game-centric Belly of the Bison, serving Elk Roulade, Duck Breast, Alaskan Sockeye Salmon and, of course, Bison Bolognese. It was the only way between the two cities as the highway was only opened in the early 1980s. This is around 10.48% lower than Toronto and 11% lower than Vancouver. It also includes a suspension bridge over the Yukon River and its one of the places where you can watch the riverboat cruises. I have read and agree to the terms & conditions, Copyright 2023 VickyFlipFlopTravels | Bamboo on Trellis Framework by Mediavine, (26) Welcome to my humble habereno, so said the sign above the door. As it had for as long as the train was alive. Today, its a fascinating destination for visitors to see majestic creatures living safe, secure and very well-fed lives. Must be a change up there then, from the big city! If Toronto's condo market cracks, that weakness will likely affect the whole market. I was told that by this point its been a long journey and so theyre a bit battered. About 75% of the Yukon population lives in Whitehorse. After my two days in Whitehorse I travelled up to Dawson City for the Dawson City Music Festival. Horses are born to run. It bought a huge amount of industry to the area, very quickly. was all colourful tablecloths, yellow walls and jolly Mexican music in the background. There is an interpretation centre at the Whitehorse Rapids Fishladder. "CRAZY HORSE" WAS NOT HIS FIRST GIVEN NAME. These horses aren't called white, but gray. Thank you. Its actually a problem that there are too many jobs and not enough people. Jealous you get to live there! miles) (Statistics Canada, 2011 Census). Whitehorses strong coffee and craft beer culture the city boasts five breweries! They were very busy in the mornings, so obviously a popular place to be! Two were dumped Castries, St. Lucia and Echuca, Australia because it no longer exists. If youre looking for things to do in Whitehorse for kids, this would be a great option. Whitehorses current mayor is Dan Curtis; he took office on December 10th, 2016. Oh and check out this adorable lemonade stand. (Scroll down for Yukon fun facts.). Maybe well have to visit :-), but probably in summer (with lows of down to -52 C, we dont have enough winter clothes to keep warm!). the spice house vs penzeys politics; driving distance from vancouver bc to cranbrook bc. Send a message I left Whitehorse desperate to come back, but next time, Id give those below 40 winters a try, hunting for those elusive Northern Lights. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. For more fun Americana, check out the 50 Facts About America That Most Americans Don't Know. An ancient landscape just minutes from downtown The Yukon isn't known for its heat, but that's what created one of the most beautiful sites in Whitehorse - Miles Canyon. Yeah, I do remember it just being so fresh up there. Covering 1,000 miles (1,600 km) between Whitehorse, Yukon and Fairbanks, Alaska during the depths of winter, the Yukon Quest is known for excellence in canine care and fostering the traditions of northern travel by dog sled, its site notes. Timing your trip with a festival is one of the top things to do in Whitehorse! Whitehorse Yellowknife Niagara-on-the-Lake Mississauga Nelson Banff St. John's Charlottetown Saskatoon Churchill Halifax Winnipeg Yarmouth, Nova Scotia Watson Lake Springdale See All Tours Day Tours Multi-Day Tours Winter Tours Summer Tours Guided Tours Day Tours Multi-Day Tours Winter Tours Summer Tours Guided Tours Yukon River, major North American river that flows through the central Yukon territory of northwestern Canada and the central region of the U.S. state of Alaska. You can expect a history of the wooly mammoths, giant beavers, caribou and muskox of the area, tracked back through the bones and fossils found in the Yukon area. The highest temperature ever recorded in Charlottetown was 36.7 C on 19 August 1935. @Billie The Northern Lights would be wonderful to see over Whitehorse. why bother writing about something you know nothing about hikebiketravel girl, maybe stay a few years and get to know the place! For mains I had a chicken quesadilla, which Id already ordered spicy before I had the chance to take my own advice. Whitehorses strong coffee and craft beer culture the city boasts, Another main attraction on the calendar each February since 1984 is the, International Sled Dog Race. It is the largest community in Yukon, with more than 70 percent of Yukon's population living there. Its one of the top rated Yukon restaurants on TripAdvisor though, so I wanted to include it here. Out of the $22 billion in loans on its balance sheet, only $8 billion are insured against default. The record low temperature in Whitehorse was -52.2 C set on January 31, 1947. toward peak season as the days lengthen and thaw. has three principal census agglomerations: Carcross, Faro and South Klondike. gathers a diverse and approachable group of artists and sculptors from across Canada to lead guests through the process of creating beautiful (sometimes wonky) objects made of multicoloured glass heated in ovens at 1,200 degrees. In summer, the Midnight Sun shines all day and night in some areas. Pin these THINGS TO DO IN WHITEHORSE for later. Whether you love it or hate it, this condiment once had a place in the world beyond hotdogs. 6. Its diversity includes French immersion programs and French schools and it has a strong Filipino community, amongst others. Fittingly, there are myriad organized activities on offer alongside the territorys famed natural wonders, chief among them the spectacular Northern Lights. Viator if you want to book your activities and adventures before to travel to Vietnam then Id recommend Viator. @Darlene I hear that comment over and over again from people that have left Whitehorse. Its incredible how much both play with your body clock like intrinsically you dont believe yourself when its time to get up, or go to bed. Oops. So the first thing to do on the list of what to do in Whitehorse, is to walk there! Munroe, Susan. French is the main language spoken in the province, and also in Quebec City. 379-399 Whitehorse Road, Nunawading Victoria 3131, Australia. Taylor Swift Artistfacts. Winnipeg is not only a massive, vibrant city but is also one of the least expensive Canadian cities to live in. The moose site alone occupies five square kilometres. Go to Whitehorse to see the Northern Lights. There are around 70,000 moose in the territory and about 40,000 people. Ive probably done more in the Yukon than most people ever will. Seventeen of the tallest 20 mountains in Canada are in the Yukon. Oh niiice. Amalgamation and the name Thunder Bay were both first suggested in 1907. Functional cookies help to perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collect feedbacks, and other third-party features. Take a look below for 30 interesting and fun facts about Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada. Get really good travel insurance to cover you in case anything goes wrong. Photo: Jonathan Tucker. No where better in the world. A visit there offers way more diversity than a beach holiday, in manageable Canadian dollars. (17) If you want to know more about the wildlife of Whitehorse then the Yukon Beringia Interpretive Centre is a great place to explore. (2) I walked back to Alligators Gourmet for a grilled cheese sandwich. Explore these fun facts to learn more about mothers in the U.S. Fun Facts: Exploring the 1950 Census. Yukon is derived from the Yup'ik word "yuh", which means "great river". Whitehorse ( French pronunciation: [wajts]) is the capital of Yukon, and the largest city in Northern Canada. I did as much as I could, until I couldnt shake the street food van Id seen at the beginning from my thoughts any longer. The Whitehorse street art game is strong, and The Collective Good independent shop in the precinct on Front Street has some great Yukon-themed gifts for all. Thunder Bay averages 2121 hours of sunlight annually, with 305 days each year having at least some bright sunshine; 46% of all daylight hours are sunny. Want more leads? 2. Robert Lowe became a long serving local and territorial politician. Your email address will not be published. The Yukon . Both are paved, two-lane highways, open year-round. 1. Think you know all there is to know about the United States? Whitehorse became the capital of the Yukon Territory on April 1st, 1953. The record high temperature in Whitehorse was 34.4 C set on June 14, 1969. You can really live up here, and breathe the fresh air and feel the sun on your face. Not a good time to eat them. Well I paid for it she replied. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance". OMG are you Jenny Fleurs sister? Maybe rip out the pages and sleep with them on a pillow next to you-whatever helps plan the trip of your dreams. Did hikebiketravel girl actually visit whitehorse or just wiz by on her bike? Now, I look at this photo again and I realise my capture of the flavours and look wasnt the best, but trust me, it was better than it looks here. It also gives the opportunity for us humans to tag them so we can monitor that theyre doing ok. Whitehorses fish ladder was built in 1959 and in its position the fish have already travelled about 4000km, with just 50 left to go. Today, Whitehorse has a population of just over 26,000 people. Whitehorse is located at Mile 918 on the Alaska Highway. Several operators host Northern Lights tours, which typically include transportation to and from Whitehorse to a viewing area outside the city, where bonfires and heated sheds stocked with hot drinks help stave off the cold. Spectacular place and wonderful peopleI could live there forever. The Yukon is definitely a memorable place to be and experience. It finishes 1000 miles and 7-12 days later at the Dalton Highway. 1. Our Wilderness City isnt so much that anymore. Charlottetown was the site for the world's longest softball game. And while the ashes-into-glass concept may not appeal to everyone, Hilary confirms its very meaningful for those on board, who can participate in the objects creation if they choose. But were happy to clear things up by filling you in on whats up here. No votes so far! It covers the last great ice age which means the untouched areas of Eastern Siberia, Alaska and the Yukon are relayed. Mainly, the famous Klondike Gold Rush that spawned the affluence of the area, and in fact bought people to the north, then caused some of them to leave as soon as the rush was over. They have a very strong muscle ring called the cardiac sphincter at the entrance to their stomachs. In other words, it never gets dark! The Maritime Museum of the Atlantic is the oldest and largest Maritime . According to the 2021 numbers, Whitehorse has a population of 28,201 people. Halifax is home to one of the world's longest downtown boardwalks. Now, Whitehorse has never really been on our radar maybe because its too close. I had an amazing time! Its named after the stallion-like Yukon River rapids that passed through the city. Its actually closer to Anchorage in Alaska, a mere 700 miles away and 13.5 hour drive west. The Miles Canyon area is minutes away from downtown . Contact Us Whitehorse was incorporated as a city in 1950. The capital city of Yukon is Whitehorse.