Safe in relative in Oakland. Website. 9887 Macarthur Blvd #H is located in Las Palmas, Oakland. The goal is to address the outlined critical traffic hazards in order to provide a safe environment, with access for all mobilities including motorists, pedestrians, cyclists, and public transit. Only people out are of the questionable variety. The table below compares crime in cities with comparable overall population in the city's boundaries. Oakland is safer than 1% of the cities in the United States. I honestly believe that his will greatly enhance the quality of life for all of us that live in this district. Required work could be phased in with re-striping and temporary infrastructure (large planters, bollards) installed, and as funds are secured, more significant infrastructure work could be added. / CBS San Francisco. San Francisco is such a beautiful, exciting and vibrant city. Bike traffic is not protected in the concept illustration, mixed traffic, would parking-protection be feasible? There is a high level of interest among District merchants in the project with vocal support from large anchors to small independent businesses as traffic improvements to the street would improve safety and thus generate commerce. Simply dont carry your phone in your back pocket and youre already more likely to hold on to all your belongings. Please be totally honest with me this is Oakland and I am scared. Luckily, I've got family and friends in the USA so I used their mailing address to apply for free brochures, maps, etc. Caltrans said around 200 people live there. The MacArthur site is not good & I live in Oakland. Even know which is the wrong way, so that if you see that street sign, you know youve made a bad turn. (510) 771-0351. "Enough is enough, really. Center, The Boys and Girls Club, and over a dozen pre-schools and churches are within mile. The 696 sq. This action was taken in coordination with the . Herea a graph showing you how Oaklands murder rate compares to other cities with high murder rates. Property crimes that are tracked for this analysis are burglary, larceny over fifty dollars, motor vehicle theft, and arson. In descending order, the safest neighborhoods in Oakland are: Without a doubt, there are certain neighborhoods you do not want to be out at night in especially some of the ones listed above. [11] The groundbreaking for the project was held in May 2011 with the start of construction for a new 450-space parking garage for BART. Cyclist killed by AC Transit bus in 2010 due to insufficient space between parking and traffic lane. I'd say that starts from east of the lake to Fruitvale. MacArthur Commons Apartments, located in the historic Temescal neighborhood of Oakland, offers pet-friendly studio, one, and two-bedroom apartment homes with all the amenities you need to call The MAC your new home. I would recommend Jack London Square as it is relatively safer than the others, lots of great restaurants and bars, a walkable marina and access to SF via ferry or 2 nearby BART stations (12th Street or Lake Merritt). P.P.S. Within California, more than 100% of the communities have a lower crime rate than Oakland. EXISTING CONDITIONS The project will remediate old industrial infrastructure outlined below and close the gap in OakDOTs Master Bike Plan. The street width is a little less than 55 with lots of competing needspossibility for multi-use lane for biking and other activitiesnot enough space for dream scenario. Noise & CO2 pollution would decline as well. There are scores of places in all price ranges. Who is Henry Winklers Son? Notes from the presentation and discussion are below. Also where in Dimond is parking plentiful? You will encounter problems around there if you dont belong. These factors combined with certain conditions are extremely detrimental. Discover your neighborhood's best match, anywhere. Holiday Inn Express & Suites Oakland-Airport An IHG Hotel, Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront. It really depends on what you value and where you will be working? [4] The station included several pieces of public art: an abstract mural by Mark Adams over a staircase (which Adams later replaced with two murals after the stairs were removed for an elevator in 2000), and tile mosaics by Adams and Alfonso Pardias in the fare lobby. The Laurel District has a diverse commercial center, connecting East Oakland neighborhoods to culturally diverse locally owned and independent small businesses. was a highway prior to the construction of I-580. I will research these places, thank you. Not all of the neighborhoods in the excluded area are bad, but all the the worst neighborhoods tend to fall in that region. There are some specific recommendations which could be incorporated into this project. The City is taking advantage of this planned paving project to also install safety and traffic-calming improvements at locations along MacArthur Boulevard. You have a 1 in 17 chance of becoming a victim of property crime in Oakland. " As everyone knows Oakland is not the safest (It is a very safe part of Oakland, however. Better safe than sorry. Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. You will miss so much if you try to save money by staying outside and then having to pay for transportation in and out of the city. Conveniently located across from the MacArthur BART station, you will be close to the Bay's major work centers and . Would I want to leave my kid here? :( There are no visitor attractions nearby, and you won't want to take evening strolls. Our nationally-comparable school ratings are covered under US Patent No. This property is not currently available for sale. I'd say Deep east starts from around the Fruitvale area all the way to the border of San Leandro. Much better to stay at City Center with several first class hotels & a BART Station. safe parking at hotels near Oakland Airport?? I don't want people to get the idea least safe = you going to get mugged or it's . These include Early Bird Express route 705, Emery-Go-Round buses serving Emeryville, the Caltrans Bay Bridge Bike Shuttle, three Kaiser Shuttle routes, and four Alta Bates shuttle routes.[16][17]. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. more info for the public from your commissioners. Definitely dont want to have an obscene amount of noise, but I also dont want to be in a very sleepy town area. Everything You Need To Know (Crime Rates And. Closing the bikeway gap and upgrading the roadway configuration would promote safety and improve access to the LAMMPS (Laurel Access to Mills, Maxwell Park and Seminary) streetscape which has incorporated a wide range of improvements such as curb ramps, crosswalks, pedestrian lights, landscaping, bicycle lanes, multi-use paths, new traffic signals reconfigured intersections, pavement marking and striping. 18,000 local law enforcement agencies in the U.S. Caltrans to clear Oakland homeless encampment near MacArthur Maze, Public File for KBCW-TV / KBCW 44 Cable 12. . Program (510) 464-7000, the BART police emergency line, into your . Even if it were in a great part of town we'd suggest you look around and try to find something in (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Enzian, I will follow "the Phantom Ranch strategy". It makes me feel that, for once, The System(tm) works because all the trains meet up and the cops will make . There are many good resources for you to find affordable lodging in the city itself in the above messages. safety standards. MacArthur station is a Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) rapid transit station in the Temescal District of Oakland, California.It is the largest station in the BART system, being the only one with four platform tracks. ft. home is a 1 bed, 1.5 bath property. Either the hostel or Priceline route would be *much* better. MacArthur station is a Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) rapid transit station in the Temescal District of Oakland, California. A part of the encampment is located next to the field. ), but it is the most interesting, as rated last year. Heres a graph showing you how Oaklands crime rate compares the most dangerous cities in the U.S. Heres a graph showing you how violent crime has trended in Oakland over a 12 year period. My VISA card is in US dollars - no problems with the exchange rate. I suggest using Hotwire or Priceline for a comparable deal elsewhere either in SF, Berkeley, or other parts of Oakland. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. From 1-580 W, exit at MacArthur Blvd/High Street, and continue on Macarthur Blvd. I was ready to pay $62.40 per night (before tax). 9887 Macarthur Blvd #H, Oakland, CA 94605 is a 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom, 1,296 sqft townhouse. Thank you for your patience while we work to restore services. El Cerrito del Norte is the first stop on the. In case of my offer being accepted I am charged full amount. Download a ride-share app, even if you dont usually use them. Trulia is a registered Trademark of Zillow, Inc. Zillow, Inc. holds real estate brokerage, Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information, Zillow Group is committed to ensuring digital accessibility for individuals with disabilities. I've tried to save a little money on hotels on past vacations, and often ended up regretting it. Violent offenses tracked included rape, murder and non-negligent manslaughter, armed robbery, and aggravated assault, including assault with a deadly weapon. . NeighborhoodScout provides exclusive crime risk analytics for every neighborhood in America with up to 98% predictive accuracy. And I NEVER got the answer. When looking at a crime map such as the one on Neighborhood Scout, the safest neighborhoods appear to be ENE of Oakland. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-15861013', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');San Francisco itself. Transportation from Oakland Airport to Amtrak, Emeryville? , so there is usually plenty of open spots to sit. NeighborhoodScout has done just that. They'll cost a bit more, but you won't be spending all that time (and money) on BART. whereas traffic flows immediately to the East and West have been upgraded with reduced traffic lanes, wider lanes, and the inclusion of dedicated bike lanes. Vehicle, bike lane and pedestrian safety upgrades through The Laurel District would improve access to essential goods and services including mass transit hubs for residents in some of our highest equity need areas South of MacArthur Blvd. West Oakland. You cant go to a store without someone strung asking for money. I wouldn't do it, myself. OAKLAND -- The biggest homeless encampment in Oakland will soon be shut down. (Crime Rates And Crime Stats), Is Tampa, Florida Safe? As outlined above, S.L.O.W. Please prioritize and fast track these plans so that we can enjoy the area and support the businesses there! You'll be closer to the visitor attractions, dining, shopping, & entertainment, choices of San Francisco and you'll just enjoy your stay a lot more. MacArthur station has two island platforms and four tracks, allowing cross-platform interchanges between lines. 84 reviews of MacArthur Commons "I took a tour of the new MacArthur Commons community in the Temescal neighborhood. Hi Darek--it's me again. Copyright 20042023 Yelp Inc. Yelp, , and related marks are registered trademarks of Yelp. Communitys input was considered via community surveys and a road diet evaluation was conducted with Mills College in 2018. You have a 1 in 3,527 chance of becoming a victim of murder in Oakland. Lake Merritt is always recommended so won't talk about it too much. OAKLAND -- The biggest homeless encampment in Oakland will soon be shut down. 193-191 W Macarthur Blvd is . ft. apartment is a 3 bed, 2.0 bath unit. One specific place to watch out for that local highlight is the Coliseum area: if you go to attend a game, dont hang around the area much longer at night. (within four blocks, going straight down on 40th Street). I just moved into MacArthur Commons a month ago and I had the pleasure of working with Jessica. in 27 reviews, The staff has been very courteous and nice especially Tashayla who set us with a great apartment. in 11 reviews, This a great place for commuters due to the fact that MacArthur Bart station is 5 steps away. in 3 reviews. Caltrans announced it is closing the entire Wood Street encampment due to safety concerns after multiple fires --. SeeClickFix/311 Report potholes, illegal dumping, etc. Year over year murder has increased by 21%. My child went here from kindergarten through 3rd grade and when Sis. Oaklands murder rate is 4 times higher than the national average. Many of the incidents happen during business hours when pedestrian traffic is highest and have caused tragedies such as: The four traffic lanes are especially narrow, originating from when MacArthur Blvd. Familiarize yourself with the layout of the city. MacArthur Boulevard is a major west-east (in Oakland-lingo; more accurately Northwest-Southeast) artery that extends from Hollis Street / I-580 (just west of San Pablo Avenue ) all the way to about Joaquin Avenue in San Leandro, roughly following the base of the Lower Hills. Although there are exceptions to this rule and if you are unfamiliar with the area, stay North of 580 and East of Telegraph will simplify life. One of the things that helps though is it's a lot of commuters from up in Pinole and stuff will drive there and take BART in. According to NeighborhoodScout's analysis of FBI reported crime data, your chance of becoming a victim of one of these crimes in Oakland is one in 80. It doesn't really look good for the neighborhood," said Chastity Williams, a West Oakland resident. However this does not mean that you will be robbed, stabbed or shot if you set foot in Oakland. Our child's learning was suppressed here but is now thriving and thriving without paying tuition!! Better towards Rockridge and Berkeley. In Oakland, your chance of becoming a victim of a property crime is one in 17, which is a rate of 57 per one thousand population. Not very walkable tho, unless you live near Montclair village. and East of High Street. ), I had the pleasure of being guided on the tour by Harold Gayden, Leasing Professional. Some things to note are also whether you will need to commute or not eventually and if you need a place for a car. Location of mushroom dispensaries in Oakland? They said the encampment hurts the neighborhood and endangers the people who live there. Violent 193-191 W Macarthur Blvd, Oakland, CA 94611 is a studio property. We've never been able to have a baseball tournament here because of the homeless encampment," Britton said. Below is a rendered drawing with descriptions of key features. Yellowstone vs Zion: Which National Park Should I Visit? Flag. Physical separation is needed to help to avoid this. This project will also install a Flashing Pedestrian Beacon at the intersection of Parker and MacArthur to improve safety at this school crosswalk. Its a pain to carry around one with a wall plug, especially if you wont have a chance to use it! Coliseum . As with most cities, the general consensus is that the more people that are out at night in certain areas, the more likely you are to be safe. Not sure where you are coming from so that makes it hard to reference. Controls traffic lanes with reduced lanes. You do want to sit back and relax when youre on vacation (even if its a work trip), but its good to be in the know on which neighborhoods should have you on your guard. Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting. Thank you, this is great! MacArthur Commons 540 39th St, Oakland , CA 94609 Mosswood 4.6 (28 reviews) Verified Listing Today 510-288-5190 Monthly Rent $2,243 - $3,853 Bedrooms Studio - 2 bd Bathrooms 1 - 2 ba Square Feet 379 - 1,251 sq ft MacArthur Commons Transportation Points of Interest Move-in Special Up to 10 Weeks Free! New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, Press J to jump to the feed. For Oakland, we found that the violent crime rate is one of the highest in the nation, across communities of all sizes (both large and small). Looks good to me but I wish parking was easier in the laurel. The location is good, if you don't mind walking a few hundred yards to public transport (and i know you don't). Oakland is like any other big city. We are beginning our journey in (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Crime risk data are updated annually. These studies have resulted in a plan for the "MacArthur Transit Village," a mixed-use development on the eastern side of Route 24 bounded by 40th Street, Telegraph Avenue, and West MacArthur Boulevard. Caltrans said it will close the encampment in phases starting Wednesday. Now let us turn to take a look at how Oakland does for violent crimes specifically, and then how it does for property crimes. Rapid transit station in San Francisco Bay Area, San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District, "BART Chronology January 1947 March 2009", "Putting the art in BART / Mosaics, murals and steel cows brighten up Oakland, Berkeley stations", "Nia Wilson Honored At Emotional Memorial Service", "February 11 schedule change impacts weekdays and Sundays", "New Sunday service plan to begin in February", MacArthur Transit Village information sheet, "Hines breaks ground on Oakland apartment project next to BART", MacArthur Transit Village project breaks ground after 17 years, "New parking garage opens at MacArthur Station 9/15", "City Council Approves 260-Foot Tower For MacArthur Transit Village", "BART can't keep pace with rising 'crush loads', Tri-Valley-San Joaquin Valley Regional Rail Authority, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=MacArthur_station_(BART)&oldid=1141191160, Bay Area Rapid Transit stations in Alameda County, California, Stations on the Berryessa/North San JosRichmond line, Stations on the AntiochSFO+Millbrae line, Stations on the RichmondMillbrae+SFO line, Railway stations in the United States opened in 1972, Short description is different from Wikidata, Infobox mapframe without OSM relation ID on Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, Entrances/exits, faregates, ticket machines, bike station, parking garage, This page was last edited on 23 February 2023, at 20:48. 2,589 sqft. There are three large free public parking lots in Dimond. Statistically speaking, Oakland is not the safest city to visit. The section of road is a mixed-use area located between 35th Ave and High Street. This corridor poses real safety issues that are not too complicated to address. In fact, after researching dangerous places to live, NeighborhoodScout found Oakland to be one of the top 100 most dangerous cities in the U.S.A. Download the BART Watch app, which allows you to report an incident, call BART police or send them photos. [13] As of 2018, the village is under construction and will include around 850 units and a tower 260 feet (79m) tall.[14]. MacArthur Station 555 40th Street, Oakland, CA 94609 MacArthur Station is a major BART transfer point near the commercial heart of Temescal, one of north Oakland's oldest neighborhoods. Richmond Station has the highest number of outright auto heists, with 26 recorded during . Closer to the lake is best and anything else I'd just avoid. Nearby is homeroom (mac and cheese), Hawker fare (Sorta close + Thai), and many more good restaurants. (510) 771-0351. 6 dirtymack 2 yr. ago Depends on your age and threshold for noise and general activity/traffic. There is a ferry stop there though and the ferry imo is the best public transit option in the bay area or even just taking it leisurely to SF or other destinations can be a great experience. located in The Laurel District of Oakland, California. I loved living in the Temescal area. Creates space for AC Transit to fully pull to curb. I wouldn't do it either. Watch out, those poor people will getcha! Not only was Harold delightful, he took an abundant amount of time to show me various units, prospectus . Laurel Elementary is two blocks from the heart of the District. Da Lin is an award-winning journalist at KPIX 5 News. The dangerous parts of Oakland are far east and far west around the projects. Sperk1965. Do your research. And you know what? ebbflowin 10 yr. ago Amen. That part of West MacArthur is pretty bleak, right under a massive freeway interchange, which would make it bad enough even if the neighborhood was any good for visitors. There is no doubts about it, Oakland has a crime problem. I tried to pretend cart shopping on Priceline and put a very low bid just to see how it works.