", Curtis' interest in video games collided with her movie career in 2021 when she was cast in "Borderlands,"director Eli Roth's film adaptation of the popular game. She sold it that day, to HarperCollins, which was called Harper & Row at the time. Her mother, Sylvia (Nuchow), was a schoolteacher, and her father, Jerry, was a math Melissa McCarthy was born in Plainfield, Illinois, to Sandra and Michael McCarthy, and was raised on her family's corn and soybean farm. Would Nate Berkus & Jeremiah Brent Host Their Own Talk Show? One of me as Nigel Tufnel and one of me as me. And so, two things. I am a great reader, but I dont retain that much. ", When Jamie Lee Curtis and husband Christopher Guest decided to start a family, it was not an easy road. I remember sending it when faxes were new. She has also been known to cosplay as her favorite characters. One, Miss Davis would call me in July and August, saying, I want the heat. Id be, like, Im so sorry, Miss Davis, its not possible, because its July, and its a hundred and five degrees, and were all dying, and I cant turn on the boilers. She goes, I want the heat. She would lay by the pool in a big black hat and a black maillot bathing suit with high heels, black sunglasses. As Jamie Lee Curtis wrote of her "aha! All of that is a great, lovely benefit to the part that you give up, which is your privacy. Miss Davis felt that it would draw attention away from the fact that it was Bette Daviss scene. Web7 Jamie Lee Curtis Jane Lynch pictures. I played her spunky niece, and she was the Southern matriarch of a family where her brother died and left his estate, his plantation, to his African-American housekeeper. Has that been fairly unexpected for you, to be a public representative for treatment and recovery? "It's a wonderful thing to play a woman like this cop,"she said of her role in an interview with film critic Roger Ebert. We are doing all we can to help speed that process along., Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day. So we changed it. The actor has been hotfooting it between London, New York and Los Angeles on the promo trail for her latest film, Halloween.Though the movie is not a contender for awards season, Curtis has approached each radio slot, primetime TV show While many actors of her generation are content to look back on past glories, Curtis appears to be bucking that trend; like a fine wine, she just gets better with age, offering every indication that her most career-defining and memorable work is still to come. My daughter, Annie, my son, Tom and my husband, Christopher offered me love and support last night and I am so lucky to call them mine. And I gestured silently, with my hand, Hi, I called you. moment"forO, The Oprah Magazine,Curtis recalled first laying eyes on her future husband in the pages of Rolling Stone. To revisit this article, select My Account, thenView saved stories. That told me so much about the hardship of his life. As People reported, Curtis was "formally dressed in cream satin and a tiara of gold leaves"as she sat among other aristocrats attending the opening of Parliament, where Guest had inherited a seat in the House of Lords. During his early childhood, the A likable, boyish-looking actor with thick eyebrows and a friendly smile, Justin Long is a native of Connecticut.He was born and raised in Fairfield, the second of three sons. Her specialty:diapers. She is of mostly Swedish, English, and Scottish descent. The script of 8was adapted from courtroom transcripts, first-hand accounts of drama in the courtroom, and interviews with the plaintiffs. Jane Lynch Are you interested in Hollywood history? Known for her performances in film and television, she is one of the most prolific Like, what are we doing? Youre such a lovely writer of childrens books. Or cousins. Back in 2015, for example, she took to Twitter to share a photo of herself, husband Christopher Guest, and their children, all costumed as characters from the classic arcade game "Street Fighter." I am the anti-mystery girl. "Adoption is a sacred exchange, filled with joy & sorrow,"she wrote. When I read about that, I thought, God, she must have been the last person put under contract at Universal. When I was little, I didnt know what dreams were. Its one of those good stories for people whove just been let go from their job. "Don't get divorced," she declared. He is of Ashkenazi Jewish (mother) and Swedish, English, and David Rodman Annable was born on September 15, 1979, in Suffern, New York, to Tammi and Rodman John Annable. The father in that story wrote an autobiography, titled Access of Kings. It was that idea that, when youre famous, you get this incredible access, you get opportunities to see things that other people dont get to see, you get ease of access everywhere you go. All of a sudden I became a regular on a half-hour comedy. Famous for his public declaration of celibacy in the "Tatler" back in the 1980s, Emma Thompson has characterised her friend as "90 Conan O'Brien grew up in a large Irish Catholic family in Massachusetts. Lynch also gained recognition for her roles in Christopher Guest's mockumentary films, such as Best in Jamie Lee Curtis was born on November 22, 1958 in Los Angeles, California, the daughter of legendary actors Janet Leigh and Tony Curtis. Did you resist it at any point? If you or anyone you know is struggling with addiction issues, help is available. I didnt know that then, but he did. And he called me the next day. She is the middle of 5 children, and is the daughter of Roseann Teresa (Murtha) and Edward Joseph O'Donnell, an electrical engineer for the defense industry. Youre fantastic. And I appreciate it. Was it Jamie Lee Curtis? A Betty White was born in Oak Park, Illinois, to Christine Tess (Cachikis), a homemaker, and Horace Logan White, a lighting company executive for the Crouse-Hinds Electric Company. Im jaw-dropped by what they are able to do. Today Id be diagnosed with some learning disability or learning difference. She began her performing career as a stand-up comedian in New York where she appeared at the famous clubs, Stand Up New York and The Improv. RELATED: Jamie Lee Curtis Meets Fan Who Survived a Home Invasion by Channeling Her Halloween Character. Im sure the fact that I was Janet Leigh and Tony Curtiss daughter, and that my mother had been in Psychoif youre going to choose between this one and this one, choose the one whose mother was in Psycho, because it will get some press for you. Rob Reiner directed the stage reading, and Bryan Singer, a film director, was the presenting sponsor of the event, which served as a fundraiser for American Foundation for Equal Rights. Its natural. In 2015, after she and Guest had celebrated their 31st anniversary, she shared her secret to a successful marriage withToday. That's my gift with a little 'g,' a baby 'g.'" Hugo has an older brother, Simon, and a younger sister, Anna, who both also live and work in Australia. I felt like that weakness was going to be exposed and then exploited. Writing about her own "aha! The play will be performed March 3 at the Wilshire Ebell Theatre in Los Angeles. "I ended up wearing an Orc mask that has purple hair and horns coming out of his head,"she told Digital Trends. "Maybe they found the perfect actress because I don't like it,"she theorized. And that was the one where she said to her friend, 'I'm going to marry that guy.' While promoting the movie, Curtis joked to WNBC, "I'm in no competition with Ms. Weaver. Its generational incest. Kevin James was born Kevin George Knipfing on April 26, 1965, in Mineola, Long Island, New York, to Janet (Klein), an office worker, and Joseph Valentine Knipfing, Jr., an insurance agency owner. I wrote a short story once that was semi-autobiographical, which Ill never publish, a novella actuallythe child in the story was raised in New York with famous parents. I was doing a lot of aerobics. "I mean, f**king 'Aladdin' scared me. And I was fired, along with eleven of the thirteen actors. Her husband, actor and director Christopher Guest, holds a hereditary British peerage. As a result, Curtis holds the official title of Baroness Haden-Guest. Proceeds will benefit the American Foundation for Equal Rights. When she eventually came to realize she had a dependency, she confronted it head on and has been sober ever since. In fact, she's a big believer in recovery meetings, telling Variety she's attended them all over the world, wherever she happens to be working. To revisit this article, select My Account, thenView saved stories, To revisit this article, visit My Profile, then View saved stories. The secret to her success as an author, Curtis theorized in an interview with Romper, is her ability to entertain children and their parents simultaneously, albeit on different levels. A few months after that announcement, Curtis shared a photo on Instagram, taken from the set, of her character in the film, Dr. Patricia Tannis, describing the doc as "INSANE (LY) SMART with an emphasis on the first part!". You spend most of the movie in tailored, jewel-toned pantsuits. The spoken language in her family is Russian, not Ukrainian.Her mother, Elvira, is a physics teacher, her father, Mark Kunis, is a mechanical engineer, and she has an older brother named Michael. "There were pictures in Rolling Stone magazine in 1984. Oh, yesTony [Curtis]. So no, it was not Nigel. Reiner will play David Blankenhorn, founder and president of the Institute for American Values. Jamie Lee Curtis, Jane Lynch,Martin Sheen and some of Hollywoods hottest young actors will join George Clooney in the cast of Dustin Lance Blacks play 8 for its one-night-only showing in Los Angeles, organizers said Wednesday. Stan studied at Rutgers Mason Gross School of the Arts and spent a year at Shakespeare's Globe Theatre in London.When he went Robert Douglas Thomas Pattinson was born May 13, 1986 in London, England, to Richard Pattinson, a car dealer importing vintage cars, and Clare Pattinson (ne Charlton), who worked as a booker at a model agency. He talked about where [the pills] were hidden in his house, and I thought, Oh, I hide mine in my cowboy boot, too. 8, overturned in the west coast premiere reading of Dustin Lance Blacks 8, and helped raise more than $2 million for the cause. "My teeth were gray. I dont know if 40 years ago I would have ever thought that Laurie Strode would have a daughter, let alone a granddaughter, Curtis said at PEOPLE and EWs TIFF studio in September. "My parents hated each other my whole life,"she said during an appearance on "The View," as detailed in the New York Daily News. I remember a day where Pierce and I were sitting in this room with John and Geoffrey, where they were deep-diving into things, and, at one point, Pierce looked at me and I looked at him, because Pierce cut his teeth on Remington Steele. [Afterward] we were in an elevator, and I looked at him and said, Pierce, I feel like such a bad actor, because Im not deep-diving like that. And he goes, Yeah, me, too. But, the truth is, there is no depth. Im never going to pretend that I just got that on my own, like Im just a little girl from nowhere getting it. Until every citizen can equally enjoy the freedom to marry, AFER will continue to fight in the courts of law and the court of public opinion and we will win.. She has had a relatively lengthy career in both film and television. Are there any roles that youve done that you think are unsung, that no one asks you about? The actor on addiction, beauty standards, famous parents, writing kids books, and her encounters with Bette Davis. She was born in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, but her family moved to Boston, Massachusetts, when she was four months old. It struck me today that Hilary Swank's new pixie cut bears more than a striking resemblance to Jamie Lee Curtis's signature coif. So, I lived in a building in Los Angeles called the Colonial House, and it was referred to as the Dakota West. She is known for starring as Sue Sylvester in the musical comedy series Glee (2009-2015), which earned her a Primetime Emmy Award. ", Curtis' experience as an adoptive mom presumably inspired her to write the children's book "Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born,"described by publisher HarperCollins as "a special celebration of the love and joy an adopted child creates for a family. Mortified by the cameraman's comments, she underwent"routine"cosmetic surgery, and was givenVicodin for the pain. "I did cocaine and freebased once with my dad," she revealed, noting "that was the only time I did that, and I did that with him. I dont know. I took her into her little dressing room. Makeup ideas, product reviews, and the latest celebrity trendsdelivered straight to your inbox. My four-year-old daughter, Annie, was in her room. They said, We are going to do an annual recovery issue, and wed like you to be the cover story for our first issue. I said, Absolutely. When I got sober, twenty years ago, there was a magazine article in Esquire, written by Tom Chiarella, where he outed himself to his editor and family that he was a Vicodin addict. One of her most popular roles was that of neuroscientist Dr. Beverly Hofstadter in the sitcom " The Big Sigourney Weaver has created a host of memorable characters, both dramatic and comic, ranging from Ripley in ALIEN to Dian Fossey in GORILLAS IN THE MIST to Gwen/Tawny in GALAXY QUEST and most recently, 14-year-old Kiri in AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER. In the 1990s, Curtis starred in some notable films such as True Lies and Forever Young. There are very photos of the actress whole family. "It's the reason that I sold yogurt that makes you s**t for seven years," Curtis bluntly quipped, as reported by Today. Photographs by Valerie Chiang for The New Yorker, When I Was Little: A Four-Year-Olds Memoir of Her Youth. But, he said, You should stick around. Fifty years ago, a Kansas family picked up a hitchhiker on their way to Iowa. AceShowbiz - "Halloween" star Jamie Lee Curtis settled on her signature short hairstyle after a disastrous salon visit left her with burnt hair. Then I was in a TV movie with her, set in Valdosta, Georgia. Rian Johnson put so many references to old mystery films in this movie. Lahti and Curtis will play plaintiffs Kris Perry and Sandy Stier, a lesbian couple together for 11 years and the parents of four boys. I Was Never Really the Ingnue: An Interview with Judith Light. The Terrifying Car Crash That Inspired a Masterpiece. I said to Debra, Oh, Im going to marry that guy. She said, I tried to put him in a movie. Jamie Lee Curtis is Hollywood royalty in the truest sense, given that her parents are both iconic movie stars:Tony Curtis, known for such classic flicks as "Some Like It Hot"and "Sweet Smell of Success,"and Janet Leigh, whose eclectic screen credits range from Alfred Hitchcock's horror classic "Psycho" to the musical comedy "Bye Bye Birdie.". Video:Jamie Lee Curtis on How the New 'Halloween' Relates to the #MeToo Era, The actress captioned the photo with a sweet message, The most important part of my work is the people I get to come home from that work to.. Born into it by accident, obviously. While it's a title that Curtis rarely uses or acknowledges, she was in full-on baroness mode when she accompanied her husband to Britain's House of Parliament in 1999. His name is Chris Guest. I turned the page, and it was them as their Spinal Tap characters. WebJamie Lee Curtis is Hollywood royalty in the truest sense, given that her parents are both iconic movie stars: Tony Curtis, known for such classic flicks as "Some Like It Hot" and Her gig writing children's books is no passing fancy; since writing her first book in 1998 "Today I Feel Silly, & Other Moods That Make My Day"she's since writtenseveral others. And then they started filtering them into TV shows with the goal that, at one point, you would land a big job, but they would be paying you two hundred dollars a week, and they wouldnt have to pay you ten thousand dollars a week. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. "I'd never seen him before, but I pointed at him. Her father, Rodney, is a retired school teacher. Ok maybeconsidering the age differencenot twins, but sisters. We were at the table with the author, a really good journalist. Its almost incest, but not. I want to talk about your career as a childrens-book author. The co-star of Schitts Creek chats about her longtime collaboration with Eugene Levy and the one idea that Christopher Guest would not let her put on film. I've been doing commercials for a very, very, very long time partially so I can ameliorate all of that distance from my family. Not only does Jamie Lee Curtis have a famous husband and famous parents, but she's also godmother to another Hollywood star in his own right: Jake Gyllenhaal. She called his agent and requested Guest give her a call, but he never did. I lived a little of it. When in Doubt, Play Insane: An Interview with Catherine OHara. His mother's family, originally surnamed "Fraga", was entirely Portuguese, while his father was of mostly English ancestry. Jamie Lee Curtis Shares a Rare Photo of Her Entire Family on the This includes her wickedly hilarious performance as a cold-blooded heiress in "Knives Out" and her gritty reprisal of her very first starring role the 1978 horror classic "Halloween" in the series' 2018 film and its 2021 sequel, "Halloween Kills." @halloweenmovie @missjudygreer @andimatichak, A post shared by Jamie Lee Curtis (@curtisleejamie) on Oct 18, 2018 at 4:54pm PDT. That was June 28th. No, no. She was raised in New York, and took her stepfather's surname. Becoming a mother, Curtis gushed in a 1994 interview with People,was "the most profound, nondescribable event of my life." She marched into my room and stomped her feet and put her hands on her hips and looked at me and went, When I was little I wore a diaper, but now I use a big-girl potty. I thought, Oh, she was talking about the good old days. "That's how my books have been successful. But it was a cautionary tale about this obsession with ourselves and narcissism and how we are teaching children that its all about them and what they look like. In 1988, along with Doris Roberts was born in St. Louis, Missouri, to Ann (Meltzer) and Larry Green. Subscribe for full access to The Hollywood Reporter. Plus: each Wednesday, exclusively for subscribers, the best books of the week. Hugo Wallace Weaving was born on April 4, 1960 in Nigeria, to English parents Anne (Lennard), a tour guide and teacher, and Wallace Weaving, a seismologist. They pay moneygood, after-tax moneyto go and buy expensive bad popcorn and sugar drinks just to sit there to be tortured by a filmmaker. 8 Play in New York, George Clooney to Star in Dustin Lance Black's Proposition 8 Play, Guest Column: Alec Baldwins Rust Prosecutors Should Do Their Talking in Court, Sofia Carson on Preparing to Perform With Diane Warren at the Oscars: I Still Pinch Myself, Miley Cyrus to Perform Songs From New Album on Disney+ Special Miley Cyrus Endless Summer Vacation (Backyard Sessions), Guns N Roses, Arctic Monkeys Join Elton John as Headliners of Glastonbury Festival, Novelist Julianna Baggott Launches Production Banner, Wayne Shorter, Jazz Saxophone Pioneer, Dies at 89, Star Hairstylist Jen Atkin Reveals Must-Have Hair Tools, Tutorials and Pro Tips In New MasterClass, Rihannas Puma x Fenty Is Coming Back Heres Where You Can Still Buy Those Cult-Fave Creepers, The Best Bridesmaid Dresses for Every Budget, From Under-$100 Gowns to Hollywood-Inspired Classics, BTS Army: Heres When and Where Legos Dynamite-Inspired Set Arrives Online and In Stores, The Big Lebowski Turns 25: People Didnt Get It, Jeff Bridges Recalls, How the Landscape of Native-Led Stories Has Changed Between Avatars: Were Flexing Our Sovereignty, The Definitive Voice of Entertainment News. We opened Rolling Stone, the issue with Cyndi Lauper on the cover. Celebrity Look-Alikes I thought I would lose my contract. I gave a book to Rian and his wife, Karina, when I first was signed on to Knives Out, as a way to sort of say hi. She got her big break at acting in 1978 when she won the role of Laurie Strode in Halloween (1978). She is of Danish, Greek, English, and Welsh descent.Although best known as the devious Sue Ann Nivens on the classic Angela Lansbury was born in 1925 into a prominent family of the upper middle class living in the Regent's Park neighborhood of London. Jamie Lee Curtis, Jane Lynch Join George Clooney in the Cast of 8 WebJane Lynch: Dating, Boyfriends, Husband, Kids. This thread is archived New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast 2 1 1 comment Best Meanderus 5 yr. ago Don't be silly; Jamie Lee has a much nicer rack! What do you think: Does Hilary's 'do look like a rif on Jamie's hairstyle? Sarah Patrick Dempsey has lived two charming but separate lives on film and television. She worked on her Rosie O'Donnell was born into an Irish-American family in Commack, Long Island. She has to dress every day. What viewers of those commercials, which found Curtis spoofed by Kristen Wiig in a "Saturday Night Live"parody, likely didn't realize is the important role they served in her family life. And then it was between me and one other woman, whose name I know but I will never say publicly. 2023 Cond Nast. The star of Transparent on the shows musical finale, show-business resilience, and hanging on to her Loehmanns card. Oct 13, 2021. She said that she watched Marin's parents met while serving in the Peace Corps. Upon relocating to Los Angeles with his family, Baker was immediately cast in the Academy Award winning film L.A. 2023 The Hollywood Reporter, LLC. I was a cheerleader. Clooney and Sheen will play plaintiffs lead co-counsel David Boies and Theodore B. Olson. She did speak with me about opiate addiction, Hollywood beauty standards, her foray into writing books for children, and her long-ago stint as Bette Daviss condo-board president, among other things. "And I can't do it if I'm trying to do backflips to get everything in order. This play will continue to show Americans one by one that prejudice and fear cannot stand up to truth and justice, said AFER board president Chad Griffin. He moved with his mother to Vienna, Austria, when he was eight, and then to New York when he was twelve. Jamie Lee Curtis is sharing a special moment with her fans. Lynch married Lara Embry on May 31, 2010, in Sunderland, Massachusetts. People need to witness what happened in the Proposition 8 trial, if for no other reason than to see inequality and discrimination unequivocally rejected in a court of law where truth and facts matter, said Black, who won an Oscar for his screenplay for Milk. The entertainment world has enjoyed a six-decade love affair with comedienne/singer Carol Burnett. I could write a book on marriage called 'Don't Leave. There's no denying Jamie Lee Curtis has had an extraordinary Hollywood career, extending from her early roles in the 1970s to the powerhouse she is today. I was just cast in the movie Perfect. I was in L.A. Tom grew up in what he has Tom and Hank(from king of the hill)must see tv series. In fact, Curtis revealed in an interview with Entertainment Tonight that it was Jake Gyllenhaal who was instrumental in convincing her to return to the "Halloween"franchise. The actor has been hotfooting it between London, New York and Los Angeles Penny Fuller had to take off her hat because it was red. Webjamie lee is an actress who started her career as a model, but really made her name on the big screen this past season in the romantic comedy, House of Cards. Edgar Jake Gyllenhaal was born on December 19, 1980 in Los Angeles, California as Jacob Benjamin Gyllenhaal, the son of producer/screenwriter Naomi Foner and director Stephen Gyllenhaal, and the younger brother of actress Maggie Gyllenhaal. Geoffrey and John are both intellectuals. In December 2020, Jamie Lee Curtis celebrated 36 years of marriage with Christopher Guest, commemorating the occasion with a sweet Instagram post. It allowed me to earn money and stay home. Save Article. Bette Davis! He wrote me a crib sheet, which I took with me into the theatre with a little flashlight, and I sat in the back row by myself. You can imagine: big, wide shot, full courtroom, people fanning, hot summer day. Ever. Curtis mother, Psycho actress Janet Leigh, was also in attendance at the ceremony. If theres one woman who looks like shes having the time of her life at the moment, its Jamie Lee Curtis. What happened is I went to college and became a little sister at a frat. Over the years, the stories youve been telling about your past with opiates and addiction have dovetailed with your thoughts on the exacting beauty standards in Hollywood. I want to talk a little bit about your costuming in Knives Out, because it was beyond. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Cond Nast. Or is it something thats ad hoc, that has developed over the years? Jamie Lee Curtis took home the outstanding performance by a female actor in a supporting role honor for Everything Everywhere All at Once at the 2023 SAG Awards. I went to a college [the University of the Pacific, in Stockton, California] where my mother was the most famous person to have ever graduated. I knew I was going to do the cover of More. And yes, that's a novelty. All rights reserved. Her character in the film is an IRS auditor and Curtis wanted to make her look as real as possible and yes, thats her belly, not a prosthetic, in the film. 20 Insightful Quotes About jamie lee curtis looks like jane lynch Christopher Masterson was born on January 22, 1980 in Long Island, New York, USA. '", According to Us Weekly, Curtis is longtime friends with the "Brokeback Mountain"star's parents,Stephen Gyllenhaal and Naomi Foner, and is also godmother to their daughter, Maggie Gyllenhaal. David Attenborough on Spiders with Personalities.