It is the real deal for real. Mix confectioners' sugar and vanilla extract into brown sugar mixture using an electric mixer until icing caramelizes and thickens to the desired consistency. How much you add is completely up to you. For the caramel, it is critical that your cream and butter be at room temperature. With mixer on low speed, add butter, one tablespoon at a time, until mixture resembles sandy coarse crumbs. Pipe rosette dollops using a. Hi, Mary! I miss my mother. Pour batter in pan. 2010-2023, Liv for Cake Inc. | Design by. It also has more shine and a smoother consistency than caramel frosting. Just not as posh. Bake and cool as directed on cake mix box. Easy caramel cake recipe | BBC Good Food While the icing is definitely super rich, somehow it doesnt seem overbearingly so when coupled with the cake, which is exactly the balance I was hoping to achieve when I started developing this recipe. Then probably about 2 to 2 cups of icing for the top and sides. That's it, the caramel is done. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. The color will deepen and it will naturally thicken but it takes time. Its important that the cake is super chilled too. Divide the batter between the prepared pans, smoothing it out with the rubber spatula. Homemade Caramel Sauce Layer: Bring ingredients to a low boil. The caramel was very smooth! Grease and flour two 9-inch round pans, or spray with baking spray with flour. I had not thought about it in years. The actual cake layers that I used for this caramel cake recipe are actually adapted from my favorite vanilla cake, only made with the reverse creaming method. In large bowl, mix remaining 1 3/4 cups sugar, remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon, the flour, baking soda and salt. Recipe includes a how-to video! Im assuming this is crisco? Occasionally brush down the sides of the pot with water to prevent crystals from forming. I cooked it 45 minutes and it was a little too much. An authentic homemade Caramel Cake is truly a Southern classic! Caramel Snickerdoodle Cake Recipe - BettyCrocker.com Actual nutritional content will vary based upon brands used, measuring methods, cooking method, portion sizes, and more. Store loosely covered. Caramel Cake - Broma Bakery There are a number of different ways you can make caramel, but Im going to tell you about my favorite way to do it. Yes, it requires a bit more time and effort than a boxed mix or a can of store-bought frosting, but in this case its well worth the effort. Im so glad you enjoyed the icing, Paula! Add egg and yolk and vanilla and mix until combined. You want a flat, even surface on the top of each cake. Scrape the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl, then beat . Not to be made by the faint of heart though. 1 (16 ounce) package brown sugar 1 cup butter teaspoon salt cup evaporated milk 1 (16 ounce) package confectioners' sugar, sifted 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract Directions Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). STEP 1. The cake was a huge hit at my office--9X13 pan with only the caramel frosting. I HAVE MADE IT 2 X- BUT WE ALWAYS WERE THERE TO LICK THE SPATUAL!!! Home | What We're Eating | Caramel Cake A Classic Southern Dessert, published on Nov 11, 2020, updated Oct 30, 2022. Are you more of a visual learner? Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the butter and sugar together on high speed until creamed, about 2 minutes. Pour the filling into baked crust and spread evenly. Place bowl on your stand mixer and whip on med-high until the meringue is stiff and cooled (the bowl is no longer warm to the touch (approx. Gently fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture. Whisk the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Cool before frosting. That perfectly delicious caramel flavor shines throughout, and I love that you can actually taste it in the cake layers I wasnt sure this would come through, but it does! I cut the recipe by a third and only made one layer because there are only two of us. The cream cheese frosting is only enough for a very thin outer coating, which was perfectly fine with me. A good hour in the fridge should do. Grease and flour three 9-inch cake pans. The Carmel frosting is delicious, and easy to boot! 5 large eggs, separated. For kgaccetta who cannot get the cake to rise I have two suggestions. My cake plate dome isnt tall enough. Easy Salted Caramel Vanilla Crunch Cake Recipe - Mashed.com Add eggs one at a time beating well after each. Overall, this produced a very sweet cake. Brushing down the sides of the pot is important to prevent your sugar from crystallizing we dont want a grainy caramel! Smooth cake mix into an even layer. Sooo good! Beat the butter and both sugars in a bowl with an electric whisk for a few mins until lighter in colour and fluffy. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this data. It is critical that your cream and butter are completely at room temperature. Cook until soft ball stage. Check out my Banana Pudding Cheesecake Blondies! Caramel Cake Recipe | Food Network Simmer for 2 minutes whisking constantly. However if you want to refrigerate it, make sure you bring slices to room temperature before serving and eating. Stir in vanilla and rum extract. It was super sweet, so I'm glad I didn't end up doing the entire amount prescribed in the recipe. Top with 1-2 Tbsp cooled caramel. Thank you for the recipe. Gradually add 1 cup sugar and continue to beat until mixture is light and fluffy. Cool the icing for about 15-20 minutes to allow it to thicken before icing the cake. Beat together until fully combined. On the THE FRONT PORCH Board of Southern Living Magazine. Moist caramel cake with delicious layers of cake and caramel icing. The icing is delicious! Reviewers say this old-fashioned caramel cake has the consistency of pound cake. Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Bake in preheated oven for 23-30 minutes or until fully baked (but DONT OVERBAKE THESE CAKES- CHECK THEM EARILER SO THEY DONT DRY OUT). With mixer on slow speed, alternate adding in flour mixture and sour cream ending with flour mixture until mixed through. Once the cake is cool, use a long serrated knife to trim the cake layers if they have domes on top. From chips and dip to one-bite apps, finger foods are the perfect way to kick off a party. Turn the mixer to medium speed and mix in the eggs and egg yolks one at a time until they are well incorporated. Yes you can, you could do either (just keep it covered), I would probably leave it covered on the counter as the fridge has the tendency to dry out cakes a bit. If you like baking you will enjoy this recipe for sure! Your email address will not be published. The icing is the star of the show so you want to be sure to get it right! Enjoy! * Post a photo of how your version of the recipe came out on Instagram (using #grandbabycakes)!! If it does harden while you are frosting the cake, simply place the pan back over low heat and stir until the frosting softens up. Frost and smooth the outside with a thin crumb coat. . 4. You know what we wanted: to lick the batter off the spatulas and beaters this time around. To make cupcakes, all you need to do is reduce the baking time start checking at 15mins or so. You can leave it at room temperature overnight or place it in the fridge if storing for longer. This cake is made with love and should be shared with those very special people in your life. Grease and flour two eight inch cake pans. Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract and stir with stand mixer or an electric mixer until combined. * The caramel can be made the day before and left in the fridge overnight. My icing seemed a little greasy. Be sure your cake is well chilled and your caramel on the thicker side before you attempt the drip. If you love this cake, you might also become infatuated with some my other holiday desserts like my Ultimate Lemon Cake, Cream Cheese Pound Cake, Brown Sugar Pound Cake and Southern Peach Cobbler! Divide batter among the prepared cake pans. TOP TIP: The one thing you need to remember through out this process, low and slow is the best way to achieve this perfect icing. Your email address will not be published. Grease and flour two 9" round pans. Bring it to a boil over medium heat. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium size bowl. 480/2000Cal left. If you want a moist yellow cake with the best authentic caramel icing, you must make this recipe. Real Deal Southern Caramel Cake Recipe - Grandbaby Cakes CAKE. Earl Grey Cake With Vanilla Bean Buttercream, Blueberry Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting, The Best Vanilla Cake Recipe (Reader Favorite!). It should also thickly coat the back of a spoon to ensure thickness. Spoiler: its actually really easy! This made-from-scratch Southern Caramel Cake is a rich, decadent dessert thats perfect for special occasions. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with sour cream mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Heat to medium-low, swirling the pan every now and then, without stirring. About. It shouldnt run if you follow the steps closely. Make cake: Place white sugar and butter into a mixing bowl. It will bubble up a LOT, so be prepared. Remember to use caution when cooking over the stove as the hot liquid, butter, and cream may splatter. Bake at 350 for 23 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Privacy Policy. This cake tastes Awesome, BUTI have baked it twice now and I can NOT get my batter to RISE when baked - The layers are very dense and are only about 1/2 inch in height. Your email address will not be published. Maybe it was because these two women ended up living next door to each other for fifty-something years. I first came to your website for the upside-down ice cream cake for my 3yr old granddaughter's birthday. Set them on the counter to warm to room temperature while you make the frosting. I think I will use shreaded toasted coconut next time to make cutting the cake easier. I will make it again -it's a great fancy cake! Stir in butter, then stir in heavy cream and let it boil for 1 minute. Melt together brown sugar, butter, salt, milk, and cream. Combine flour and baking soda; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Follow Liv for Cake on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter. Do not attempt to make it with cold cream or butter it will separate when cooled. Cotillion-and-etiquette-classes didnt stick. Transfer this hot caramel to a large bowl, add powdered sugar and vanilla extract and beat until you have a spreadable icing consistency (second photo, above). She can be found in several Georgia newspapers and on almost every dang social media. The icing has a very firm texture that starts as a thin glaze when its warm and quickly hardens as it cools. A true Southern Caramel Cake is coated with a thick layer of caramel icing. This caramel cake recipe is perfect for the holidays. Jennifer Davick; Styling: Lydia DeGaris Pursell. Place one layer of cake on a cake stand or serving plate. Top with 2/3 cup of frosting, spread evenly. 1 Heat oven to 350F (325F for dark or nonstick pans). Run a dinner knife around the edge of each layer and invert each onto a rack, then invert them again onto another rack to that the cakes are right side up. Caramel Cake Frosting Layer: Cream together the softened cream cheese and brown sugar. NO mixing, just gentle folding. Homemade caramel sauce is used in the cake layers, frosting, and the drip! Pour batter in pan. Beat butter and shortening at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy; gradually add granulated and brown sugars, beating well. Caramel Cake - A Classic Southern Dessert - The Seasoned Mom With the mixer on low speed, gradually add the sifted confectioners sugar, mixing until smooth. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Shake out the excess flour. Immediately remove the pot from the heat and carefully whisk in the heavy cream (pour slowly, whisk quickly). 2 cups all-purpose flour 2 teaspoons baking powder teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 teaspoon rum extract Caramel Frosting Directions Preheat oven to 350F. The actual process is simple, the ingredients are basic, and you certainly dont need a candy thermometer to cook this easy icing. When you visit the site, Dotdash Meredith and its partners may store or retrieve information on your browser, mostly in the form of cookies. However, after frosting in between each layer, and then the top, it made a beautiful presentation that was just perfect. What really makes this recipe a caramel cake is that glorious crown of caramel frosting. Stir remaining evaporated milk, sour cream, melted butter, vanilla and eggs into dry ingredients until well blended. Some people struggle with knowing exactly how the icing should look after about two hours of cooking on a very low heat so hopefully after these tips, you will feel like a pro! I hope all that didnt scare you away from making your own caramel sauce at home. Spread over cake. When the correct color is reached, remove the caramel icing from the heat and add in the vanilla extract. MyRecipes is a registered trademark of Meredith Corporation All Rights Reserved. 13 Comments'. It was enough for thin inner layers and a thicker topping. I'm Lise, a mom of 2 from sunny Florida. All rights reserved. Use immediately (while still warm) to frost the cake of your choice or the frosting will harden. Pour batter into 2 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans. I know my Granny Dimple used to use crisco, but I dont use it much. Please see my tutorial on How to make Caramel for more details. I like to use half light brown and half dark brown sugar, but you may use all of either instead. Once all the sugar has melted, it will take on the color of a copper penny. With the mixer on low, alternately add the flour mixture and the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture, beating until well blended. It is moist and absolutely delicious. Spray two 8-inch round cake pans with cooking spray, line each with a parchment paper round, and spray again. Smooth with an, Using a small spoon, place dollops of caramel around the top edges of the cooled cake, allowing some to drip down. Beat in the granulated and brown sugar on medium speed for 3 minutes or until fully combined. My mother and my long-time next door neighbors mother had the same MO (Method of Operation) one early summer morning in the 1950s. This Southern Belle, gone rogue, doesnt apologize one iota for it. The icing should look glossy and will pour easily from the bowl. Excellent cake. Killer cake! Specifically, I used the right side of the middle comb from this set. Thaw the cake overnight on the counter before serving. Im not sure how the icing will work after being refrigerated and that is ok. In a medium bowl, whisk together 2 cups of the flour with the baking powder and salt. Scrape down the sides of the bowl using a rubber spatula. Note: The above items are affiliate links. The caramel will be HOT so handle with care. Must use fresh coconut for toasting as bagged will be too sweet. Soft, tender vanilla cake with a moist crumb and brown sugar in the batter for a hint of caramel taste, but still. Dip a pastry brush into water and brush down the sugar from the sides of the pot (also prevents crystallizing). Cakes Classic Cakes Drip Cakes Frosting Recipe. It took almost 4 hours for me to get the caramel to the right consistency. In the bowl of a stand mixer (or in a large bowl, using an electric mixer), stir together flour, sugars, baking powder, and salt until well-combined. Shes a proud maverick who creates mayhem in her wake. If its too thin and dripping off of your cake, just beat it longer. Transfer to a container and place in fridge to thicken.*. Made this for my first time today. In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment mix the butter and brown sugar together on medium speed for 2 minutes. If you make this recipe, share a photo on social media tagging@momlovesbakingand using the hashtag #momlovesbaking. It definitely needs to have a simmer going. Lee, In small microwavable bowl, melt caramels with reserved evaporated milk uncovered on High 1 to 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, until caramels are melted and mixture is smooth. While the egg mixture is beating, combine the milk and butter in a small saucepan. I'm not sure, I haven't tested the recipe in that size pan. I followed the recipe EXACTLY both Times and the same results! In small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of the sugar and 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon. Well, the end result was a bit of a mess. Stir and cook until the mixture comes to a boil, about 2 minutes. A little patience goes a long way! Set aside. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Reverse creaming simply means that instead of the traditional method of creaming our butter and sugar and other wet ingredients in one bowl and our dry ingredients and another and then combining the two (carefully, of course, so we dont over-mix), we do things a little backwards. Caramel Cake Recipe | King Arthur Baking Fill layers and frost cake with icing. Next, add in vanilla extract and mix again. Funny Teacher Stories from Real Southern Classrooms, is also a hoot and like her cockamamie memoirs, all the stories are also true. Give our Southern caramel cake recipe a try for your next holiday or special event, and you'll be hailed superhero hostess. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); 2020 Sugar Spun Run. Do you think that might be not enough powdered sugar? Everybody understands the stuggle of getting dinner on the table after a long day. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Whisk it in (start with less than you think youll need), dip a spoon into the caramel, let it cool, taste it, add more salt as needed. Here is a look at how the caramel icing begins to come together. 2023 /TM General Mills All Rights Reserved, Betty Crocker No-Bake Bites Cookie Dough. Worked beautifully. Drizzle over cooled cake. That morning when I was around six, we both awoke to the smell of cakes in the oven, checked out our own kitchens, found out this morning they were both baking the same flavor of cake, and connected before the second round of cake batter was placed in pans and then in Janes mothers oven.