Theres even a page that compels the reader to take selfies and post them on social media. If it is morally wrong, I want explanations.). I can come to my own conclusions. In the final act of Homestuck were told the artifact defeats Lord English, and were told he dies after getting sunk in a black hole. Also, Hussie's author commentary say that it is "probable" for her to be autistic. WebMarch 3, 2023. Alternia, at least at first, is a dark joke about our real-world society. Is there anyone who can help me? Theres a problem with activations getting backed up, & stuck in our system. Homestuck has three characters with definite disabilitiesTavros, Terezi, and Solluxthough for the purposes of this article, I will focus on Tavros and Terezi as, ever since Sollux has become blind, we simply have not had much screen time with him to merit analysis at this point. https://linktr.ee/moblack, Pumpkin Party in Sea Hitlers Water Apocalypse, pages that change their formatting to fit different, this first conversation between John and Terezi. that's all i'm saying. Set aside time just as you would for reading every novel, but be prepared to set aside much more of it. or have experienced the same thing? The April 2019 epilogues are less a long-awaited conclusion to an epic and more the last spasms of a stream-of-consciousness-turned-webcomic that collapsed under its own weight years ago. Regardless, the intense gaze of the man in the thumbnail dares you to go on and see what the hell this is all about. From $23.00 Dance Shirt (White) *LAST CHANCE* Brunetto-4%. But I strongly recommend it! Its impossible to talk about Hussies sentiments toward his following without discussing the following itself. In the spirit of using the Internet as a medium, the epilogues were released in the style of an AO3 post. People actually pull a bigger fit about the fact that it was retconed than they ever did over the original joke. Id post a sample here if reading my old work didnt literally set me on fire. ships, god tier classpect theories, and vriska seem to be the biggest controversies. Homestuck tends to congregate in large groups that can cause problems at conventions. I don't really care about homestuck drama, it is a product of its time as another comment said but.. OP seems vastly unaware of a lot of social issues to be "responding" to this drama. At its peak, the comic entertained roughly 600,000 readers a day, and inspired one of the most robust cult followings of a generation fans filled convention floors with cosplays of the characters and filled online forums and websites like Tumblr full of fan art. why are you playing with those dangerous girls?". WebMost toxic K-Pop fandoms include ARMY (BTS), EXO (EXOTIC), Twice (Once), and more. If I release a book full of just Nazi shit but end it by saying "BTW these aren't my views I was writing as a character lol" I can't use that to cover my ass for writing a book full of Nazi shit. Im more interested in what the story has to say about authorship generally than I am in the particularities of Dirk as a villain, though. It is easy to wonder how connected the two things are, and to wonder why one of the very, very few disabled characters has to also be a social outcast. 164 Followers. The largest, most active Homestuck community. Volume 18 comes with a developer warning, showing fully that theyre aware of how fucked up this is. (not sure on the proper wording for this, if theres better wording let me know and ill change it) As a result of his accident, he is constantly babyed or harassed by other characters. This fits in with the medical model of ableism, described on stopableism.org as: The power to change disabled people seems to lie with the medical and associated professions, with their talk of cures, normalization, and science.This enormous crime that they do to Tavros is never critiqued or addressed as problematic in any way; instead it is brushed off as being perfectly acceptable, like every other instance of ableism in Homestuck. Any art of a character on a body pillow has a 90% chance of it being sexual. According to multiple reports, many users of DISH network services are facing issues during the authentication or login process to the companys platform. You can't tell just from what karkat said. Vriska and Terezi were close friends during their childhood, who on Alternia formed the Scourge Sisters, Team Charge's FLARP rivals. Why it matters: Silvergate had an unusually strong balance sheet but that wasn't enough to save it because in today's high-rate Read it on a computer. We really would be here all day if I summarized the story in earnest. WebDreamWorks. The Homestuck following was (and is in many ways still) very involved with the project. How the hell do people extrapolate that? #homestuck . If we were to adopt this Meat/Candy classification of writing (another sentence Im loving I can type), all stories need a bit of both. Given troll reproduction, it seems to some people as though the only reason they're given them in the comic is to sexualize them for a human audience. Homestuck is also filled with blind jokes. But mainly I was relieved to see the protests happen, because it answered a more fundamental question I had before starting on this story, which was wondering whether the country had any real fight in it., And while the writer says he saw this nation-wide spark as a very positive development, he wondered if this was even a story that needed telling anymore., In the end, he decided it was. Rufioh, dead 19 year old hitting on aradiabot, aka aradia as a permanent dead 13 year old. However, back when HS was being written, it was OK to say the word. He has on multiple occasions, appropriated AAVE while writing her. Homestucks saturation of timeline and narrative chicanery means that there are always multiple versions of each character that exist somewhere in the story, probably even at the same time. If you actually read Hussie's tumblr about that incident, you would see that he specifically changed it not because people were upset about it but because other people on tumblr were using the canonicalization of tricksters as white to be nasty to others and he didn't want anything to do with that. Every bit of it is there in order to prepare the troll kids for the game. In Meat, like in pretty much the rest of the back half of the comic, shes in a coma, her body puppeteered by other characters. The implosion of Silvergate Bank has a lot to do with the fact that it was crypto's bank of choice. When I was a kid, my brother and I would play a game Ive come to call And Then. Sure, each panel is a webpage connected by links, but almost every panel only has one link, and thats to the next panel. I know that Im asking questions, and sometimes thats good enough. And, most problematically, they do so without his consent, waiting until he is asleep to forcibly cut off his legs and replace them with the robolegs. Maybe it would help if I knew what "AAVE" is, though. Perhaps the epilogues are an attempt to have the reader live a moment in the life of Andrew Hussie. Reminder to message me @colorfulconstellations if you would like to apply to be a mod! Point 1: Homestuck is 'problematic' in the way that many people are beginning to dislike. Maybe they exist in a doomed timeline, or as a ghost, or in an offshoot reality that got retconned and is no longer relevant. Just more things: more plot, more dialogue, more mechanics, more characters, more questions, on and on and on and on until it just runs out of breath and falls over. A first-time sci-fi or fantasy novel can be around 100 thousand. Article continues below advertisement. Oh, and all troll sex is incest by human standards. Press J to jump to the feed. WebAnswer random questions and Ill give you a Lana del ray lyric that will reveal a deep truth about you. And thats not even touching anything a part of Homestucks spin-off game, Hiveswap. WebAnswer random questions and Ill give you a Lana del ray lyric that will reveal a deep truth about you. While the kickstarter itself was controversial due to how much money it raised, despite Hussie having never made a game before. Yeah, I get it. Mabye I am just dumb, but I didn't notice. But, there is still no ETA for everything to work normally again. The Bold Glamour filter acts as a reminder not to do the same when it comes to our faces. As far as controversies contained within the fandom go, there's only one big one that I can think of. As for Karkat using "autistic" as an insult did he really? Her Imperious Condescension is one of the most notable victims of hussies blatant racism. It's a silly argument but it exists nonetheless. There. Calliope isnt an unbiased narrator. In case it matters, I live in Europe and I have seen like 6 or 7 black people in my entire life. That'd apply if the author was using it in dialogue for a particular reason, to say something specific about the characters, and not just because it was in the author's own regular vocabulary. Agreed. Why pick them out? Theres also the fact that the epilogues have no qualms about crushing aspects of the story the reader may have enjoyed. They're not human. We are currently experiencing a system-wide issue with a delay on all activations. But then, homosexuality in a society where bisexuality is the norm is kind of a different thing. Chances are Hussie changed it in part because he wasn't really feeling the joke in the first place. And then the time boss totally starts wrecking up the multiverse like its no ones business. The Meat/Candy dichotomy is one Hussie developed for himself long before the release of the epilogues. As underage drinking is a touchy subject for myself personally im not very inclined to go through the route in detail but, underage drinking. N/A. Stelsa should only be written by someone Jewish. Hussie saying that Kanaya's lesbianism is considered a fetish in troll society isn't Hussie saying that he considers lesbianism a fetish. The very same iteration of Vriska that is also 13. Whereas Tavros was never given a choice, Terezi is, and she turns it down. Yo! This is just a single example of how bootleg items (because yes, even if they're being made with love and sold with respect for the original creator, they are bootleg items) can directly influence a small business' decisions and bottom line. Also, (controversy incoming) in my honest opinion, as long as you don't have children, there's nothing wrong about incest. All throughout friendsim, theyve been joking about being too problematic for the kicks, trying to make light of their own faults. The fact that Homestuck isn't an anime makes them unpopular at anime conventions, despite things like video game and doctor who costumes being accepted in part because This is basically what I did, and these two ideas mix together in the narrative., Prior to releasing this story, Hussie struggled to pinpoint what his brand was as the creator of Homestuck. Yet were given both to read. But those with more of an anti-cult stance, which describes myself, will occupy the position reluctantly.. In some ways this was prompted Hussie took fan input while writing the original story and incorporated it into the final product. Dynamic Programming is a method of solving problems that represent a specific structure where a problem can be broken down into subproblems which are again similar to the original problem. The character's sue like traits and abilities get them through non important bits, but fail them when they need them most. This process, known as review-bombing, has been used for both good and bad causes. As your cursor (or thumb) toggles feverishly between the two links, a third option beckons. What am I reading here? And then John implies that its maybe Jakes fault for letting it get as bad as it did? And then his dead sister, Calliope, from another timeline where she becomes super strong, shows up to try and stop him. And then the four kids and their parents, Jane, Roxy, Dirk, and Jake, swap places, so the new kids are their parents and the parents are their kids, but the original four leave before theyre erased from existence and meet up with the original players from that other universe. But understanding that Psycholonials is chiefly an anti-cult narrative should help point to how I view the Homestuck phenomenon. Shraddha Walkar, Nikki Yadav: Why the coverage of crimes against women is problematic; Shraddha Walkar, Nikki Yadav: Why the coverage of crimes against women is problematic When such murders are headlined with the term live-in, the choice of the victim to cohabitate with a partner takes precedence over the criminal act of the offender 1,362,830. The end credits and post-end credits content were released in the style of Snapchat posts. Any help is greatly appreciated! Is this. I know there are more, I'll update this list when I remember them. Time to be controversial here. Why dont people who make posts like the original maker of that dig through their own garbage and get on their own case for the stupid stuff they did in the past? Our more overpowered characters fell to the wayside so we could tell the stories of characters who had to face a conflict or struggle to get what they wanted. The NSFW route, hes a complete douchewad, bullying Lynera and trying to pressure you into drugs and sex. I dont know what to say or think about any of this at this point. I already break the fourth wall, numbnuts! I think a lot of new authors start out by aping works they admire. Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. Sometimes it is presented as pretty damn funny, but it's blacker-than-spades humour. These Fraymotifs stack when two characters use their own powers to create something new and even stronger, similar to how each characters leitmotif stacks in the music of the comic to bring the reader to higher story beats. When it was met with backlash, whatpumpkin changed his answer to spades/snowman, You know what? Homestuck itself. The largest, most active Homestuck community. Or is Nepeta actually autistic? In addition, his disability is usually synonymous with the fact that Tavros is considered by the characters around him to be a loserTavros as a loser in his social circle, combined with his disability, make him a common object of ridicule. When the question is sprung up and no one is correcting the fans till that point, you can tell its just an on the spot decision. Hussie didn't make John and Karkat et al drop the r word to say anything about them, that's just a word he himself used to use, so his characters did too. ._1W1pLIfaIb8rYU6YeTdAk6{margin-right:6px}._1H6Meh6ZAemKxOJDOEasfK{border-radius:50%;box-sizing:border-box;height:20px;margin-left:-8px;width:20px}._1H6Meh6ZAemKxOJDOEasfK:first-child{margin-left:0}._30vlMmCcnqKnXP1t-fzm0e{display:inline-block;margin-left:-8px;position:relative} In 2012, around 24,000 backers pledged roughly $2 million to help bring Hiveswap, a video game version of the Homestuck, to life. The few legitimate criticisms that arent nitpicks or blind virtue signaling arent even all that damning. Last year, the worlds S.U.V.s collectively released almost a billion metric tons of carbon dioxide. I didn't pick up on things like that when I first read Homestuck because I'm from England and didn't watch American 'real life' shows, ie, media set in our world or a variation of it, or listen to genres like rap, hip-hop, etc. What Pumpkin LLC is the business in question, not Andrew himself. The difference should be obvious, Devils advocate here: She's small, not neccesarily young. She, like Dirk, and like all authors, decides what is relevant and what isnt. Problem Sleuth Office Print. The creative director and lead script writer for Hiveswap, literally ships dersecest as stated in his interview. Brown, who has worked with survivors of sexual assault as a therapist and social worker, believes that the movie glorifies " predatory behavior." That having been said Alternia, at least to me, was supposed to be some kind of dark joke about society; I mean their Jesus upon the moment of his crucifixion started cursing everyone out because they're just so shitty. You know where else that happens? Be prepared. Cohen fucked up when making that "announcement". I couldn't even tell he was meant to be trans. In both the SFW and NSFW route, there was no mention of him being trans. Written and directed by two white creators, "The Help" serves as a classic example of "white savior" tropes in Hollywood. "Queer Eye" star Karamo Brown recently told INSIDER that he thinks the beloved film about a gay relationship, " Call Me by Your Name ," is "problematic as f---." Not every country has black stereotypes that are the same. Her "whole deal is being a lesbian"? hating her or not hating her and liking her as a character and oh my god can we please stop talking about Vriska). The character doesn't exist though, the author made them say it. And then theres this gang war between these black alien mobsters, the Midnight Crew, and a time gang, the Felt, whos boss, Lord English is destined to destroy the multiverse. 1,362,830. Also this sexual line of chixies (just grab my bulge and deepthroat it). The only reason people are so attached to the original joke is because it was taken away from them. In any case, for Tavros and Terezi, I will discuss separately their problematic treatment both inside the web-comic and in the fandom. Homestuck has never shied away from cartoonish gore and bloodshed before, but ironically, what the epilogues lack in pictures they make up for in graphic content. I read the links, and I don't see it. To him, a reluctant cult leader will withdraw from the spotlight and rarely address their followers. I will just go ahead and read through the Google Docs about Hussie being terrible and comment every time I have something to say. And then it turns out the game is like a universe reproductive system, with the win state being to make a new universe. Dirk is Homestucks ultimate villain. It wasn't even that funny! It spent its last moments introducing characters and mechanics only to turn around and not explain jack. But, there is still no ETA for everything to work normally again. Its fitting. Conspiracy theories, outright fabrications, connecting dots on whatever precious facts are known to paint whatever picture the theorizer wants to paint. Oh yeah also you link to ipgd's post with Cool Dude and Stoner Lou, which, for context, is a direct parody of Shredded Moose--you really need that context to understand CDASL. No one needs me to tell anyone this, but stories can always serve as reminders.. The Homestuck Discord exists at https://discord.gg/homestuck if you want to chat with fellow fans. A subreddit for Homestuck and the works of Andrew Hussie. He forces Jake to admit he loves him just to get the satisfaction of embarrassing him and destroying his heart, and he consistently and purposefully misgenders Roxy. When I speak of fandom Im referring to the activity which is more indicative of obsession, hyperfixation, the need for a sense of belonging to a greater movement, and starting to let that feeling shape your identity. Constantly seeking out fetishistic situations and sexualizing characters in a fantasy story as well reading straight up bullshit from in-between the lines. DISH network users facing authentication or login issues. And then, on Earth, sometime in the far future, these immortal snake alien things give birth to another alien who will eventually become the Lord English and he plays the game too. March 3, 2023. why you lookiing at my flaiir. WebMuch of Problem Sleuth's success can be ascribed to an audience's willingness to accept that all the weirdness is just part of the joke, and the next logical step that we see in Homestuck, where the Internet itself becomes raw material for narrative, allows for an even greater expansion of possibilities. Hussie: lets go on this journey of discovery together. So, no matter how much the story frustrates me or how disappointed I get, I feel like I have to look at it in some way. If you have an argument other than deformed kids (which I just said they shouldn't have), go ahead and try to change my mind. newsletter, Streamers have to become increasingly savvy, what people think they know about them online, information around topics like mental health, like writing fanfiction or creating fan art. This magic carpet ride of analytical post-epilogue Homestuck fan content has left you feeling exhilarated and yet hungry for more. And thats just me. Cart; chantelle jamieson married Gross Margin. Take later. His use of a wheelchair, for example, is frequently exploited as a weakness to make fun of. Gross Margin. Music is so integral to the experience of Homestuck Id argue the story doesnt work without it. The proposal, which was passed 6 to 1 by the St. Paul City council, will have to be approved by the state legislature. Is it a bad joke? Troll Jewish would have been a great addition! Apparently some things Hussie produced in the past were fairly misogynistic/racist, and there's some debate over what Hussie's current opinions are. The solid sales performance also lifted the food retailer's profit margins. Like how Vriska, a character who spent the entire comic inserting herself into important story events in a quest to become the most important character of the narrative, ends up trapped in Candy, locked away forever from canon. Ending: I love Homestuck. The figure of revolution in the eyes of Hussies story is in fact, an influencer. Because automatic fire is inaccurate. Wed take turns role-playing a story together, tacking on the next action with and then. It seems selecting it will save you from having to look at this awful parody gag FOR ANOTHER GODDAMN SECOND. Why? And yes, they were still in a black romance together) until like Act 6 when John starts feeling black feelings towards Terezi and suddenly it's much more wholesome than literally any other example we'd seen until then. What the actual fuck are you talking about? Homestuck is honestly a sprawling epic I mean, kind of. She is secure in who she is, complete with her disability, without the desire to be fixed or normal. Despite this small, impressive moment, Homestuck is, overall, extremely ableist and disrespectful toward its disabled characters, and real persons with disabilities. In case you don't know what I am talking about: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ojLmFm-WUrCZ7fXALowpiAW7jklCfq14n0Zz1ECdsX0/mobilebasic, https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z_pA2pfbnyXjxMx4PZm_LNbRSO3cZuZJ2jOOD1RpE0o/edit. Likewise Mindfang's joyous rape-and-murder spree of a memoir is discussed in text (And it's never graphic. Thewhirlwindofanarticledropsyou on a plush cushion of narrative airexactlywhereyoustarted,butolder,wiser,andaround whole20 minutesshorterontime. And I have nothing. WebPoint 1: Homestuck is 'problematic' in the way that many people are beginning to dislike. Jade was one of my favorite characters. By doing this, Andrew Hussie and his collaborators admit to writing fanfiction of their own story. Habitat for Humanity calls this sweat equity, which is a required part of the program participants must gain hundreds of hours of volunteer work by helping build homes. In fact, you yourself just said that "Japanese highschool girl esque- outfits" are sexual. I wrote in second person. The game never mentions it. Small business owner, political organizer, and professional writer based in the Puget Sound area. For the Beta Kids, it's Jade, for the Trolls it's Vriska, and for the Alpha kids it's Dirk. As are the characters. Unless you believe the existence of these controversies is a matter of opinion, as I'm willing to firmly disagree with you on that matter. And then they win the third time, after John rewrites the story to make that happen, and finally get to go to a new universe and live happily ever after. Due to fans arguing over the race of characters Hussie put in a joke in which one of the characters (jane) says "I feel so caucasion" when she's in trickster mode. What was the point of Homestuck? The story feels like a retelling of the hell-year that was 2020, but Hussie started drafting the story back when everyone was just starting to be stuck inside for the first time. Below, Karkat (in the gray text) mocks Tavros (in the brown text). Not good porn, but porn it is. Some controversy came from the fact that two people donated 10,000 dollars to it to essentially have their fan characters get 1 panel cameos in the comic. According to the definitions posted above, ableism occurs when society considers the non-disabled as the standard for living, and the disabled are marginalizedand Tavros is constantly marginalized as an other throughout his presence in Homestuck. 13. Haha, the gif is actually still on the server at: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/storyfiles/hs2/scraps/CAUCASIAN.gif.