You are loved and valued by your Lord simply because you are His child!]. If you are a citizen of this great and most populous black nation you will know what it means to live in a land that is blessed by God.People of abundance often choose recreation over worship. I was stubborn and rebellious. This leaves our lives open to the boomerang! One of the surest ways to lose spiritual power is to neglect our relationship with God. You can be planted like strong trees along the riverbank, bear abundant fruit, and be prosperous in all things you do! 0 responses We so often sacrifice the best things in lifebyspending time doing things that are just pretty good.. 4. I will be 60 years old on my next birthday. As a Christ follower, I have been in leadership for almost 40 years. My granddaughter and I watched as technicians rescued that poor sick seal. Recently, I stumbled upon the most revolting video Ive ever seen (through my Facebook news feed). When money becomes your constant focus, you lose faith in God and the gifts He provides. You treat your staff with condescension. Go to your neighbor's house and scream terrible things at him. Fortunately the lifeguard was doing his job well that day, and he was successful in rescuing the husband and the wife. You cannot paste images directly. You have little or no vision that isnt self-centered or tied to personal ambition. Be sure to stop bywww.SensibleFaith.comwhere you can read more of Chris writings as well as learn about how you can have Chris speak at your next conference or event. Only declaration and celebration of the greatness of Jesus, the final Word of God. Chris Russell is an Christian writer and entrepreneur who has spent over 25 years in vocational and bi-vocational ministry. People struggle, God blesses them, they become prosperous, and then they depart from God. I cannot tell you how many times I have seen good people lured away from church life because they have fallen in love with things or activities that have no eternal merit. The 90-Day Spiritual Awakening Journal is a devotional workbook/journal that teaches you with proven Biblical principles in simple daily exercises and writing prompts how to enjoy the rich presence of peace, love, and joy your heart is looking for! So, here are seven things that make us weary in well doing: 1. Sugars, sweeteners (artificial, etc.) I am a companion of all those who fear You, and of those who keep Your precepts (Psalm 119:63). They were still family. Yes, they are all distractions however, number 7 is the real "devil". It is His desire to be so close to you that every time you are overwhelmed or conflicted in your thoughts, He is your first resource. Why You Might Not Be Aware of Gods Presence, How to Find Answers to Problems and Worries, Teaching for Spiritual Growth is Possible, 7 Things to Do When You Feel Stuck in Life, https://dr-cynthia-johnson-deeper-walk-ministries.ck.page/1aef657c08, Learn how to enjoy Gods presence of peace, love, and joy. Christians in these legalistic situations submit to things God does not require because of what others may think, or tradition, or fear. Thirdly, negative thinking is a bad habit which you need to address to grow emotionally, relationally, and spiritually. Focusing on behavior to the neglect of the heart. One day the wife jumped in the boat and launched out into the water to just lie back and soak in some sunshine. Ironic, isnt it? As a pastor for the past couple decades, I have noted several key things that tend to cause Christians to drift away from God. 1) Drifting along at an almost imperceptible pace 2) Carried along in the wrong direction by a subtle current 4. Outreach Magazine. We're not actively running away, just slowly drifting along with the lazy, warm, comfortable current of the world. Since we have encountered such a great salvation, we must be careful not to drift away from it. He cannot come near to sinful humanity without the atoning sacrifice Jesus made with His life. So, what can be done? 4:5), God justifies the ungodly! Only one person on the shore seemed to hear her call, and that was her husband. Here are three signs of spiritual drifting: A diminishing desire to study God's principles. Many people begin to drift away from God, because they have sins in their lives that cause them to feel guilt when they show up at church. (Gal. Report, October 11 2014 Here are five of them:1) An Out-of-Control Schedule.One of Satans greatest weapons against our generation seems to be his ability to make good people busier than ever before. Learn new skills to help you grow spiritually with this guided journal that helps you become more aware of God's voice and presence in every day life. We tend to lose focus on our spiritual lives because the things of this world sometimes overwhelm us. And it is also likely that your overly hectic schedule is affecting your relationship with God. things that drift away - divineinterventionfire.org . We can break free from all the things that hinder our spiritual growth. It can be hard to step out of our comfort zone; it can be scary. Christians seem to be the worst at judging others. And they feel reluctant to pray or read their Bible when they know they have these issues in their lives. 2:12; 2 Cor. Christians who just float never stay in the same place. Join me on this journey! What does it mean that in the latter times some will apostatize/depart from the faith? In a panic, she screamed for help. Salem Media Group. Share Christ Jesus is the one who diedmore than that, who was raisedwho is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. We hope you are blessed by our work! Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us. 8:33-34). His latest book is What They Didnt Teach You in Seminary (Baker). But if those sports begin to adversely affect the spiritual involvement and development of your family, then pull the plug immediately. Good article for spiritual direction and how to avoid spiritual drift. One of Satan's greatest weapons against our generation seems to be his ability to make good people busier than ever before. Your previous content has been restored. 5 responses Rather than trusting that whatever youre going through is under Gods control, you give in to the lies of addiction. I pray God surrounds you with His arms of love and be your comfort! Clear editor. 3. Im blessed with your message.may God help you to acquire more wisdom and straight to do his work Amen. He is ready to hold you by hand just as He did to Peter when he began to sink when he took off his eye from Jesus. We all have a deep need to feel that we belong. Justification concerns our legal status before God. Choosing to believe in a positive, guiding divinity. 3. Jesus teaches what causes us to drift away from the faith in Matthew ch 13 in the parable of the sower. And we do not understand other peoples situations, actions, or choices, and we do not know the intent of their hearts! 3:16). And they feel reluctant to pray or read their Bible when they know they have these issues in their lives. The First Command in Hebrews Listen! We need His life-giving presence to grow in faith and love, yet sin will hinder growth in all areas of our life. It reminds me of when Peter walked on the water. Particularly those you were involved in building, creating or crafting. Several years ago a friend of mine took his wife and kids to the ocean for a week of R&R. Read 38 Bible Verses About Spiritual Growth. During the past couple decades that I have served as a pastor, I have often watched Satan using his weapon of discouragement to drag people away from spiritual activities. Knock on the neighbor's door and explain the situation in a kindly fashion. Literally and spiritually, the person/church/organization/tradition/culture is placed on a pedestal above God. When we pass judgmenton others, we usurp Gods authority to judge. Thank you! My husband planted that little tree in the rich fertile earth, so now it is growing free from the bonds that hindered its growth. Call out to God before you are so far from the shore than you lose all sense of spiritual direction. When the trials of life cause a person to become discouraged, he often begins focusing on those problems and takes his eyes off of Christ. Looking to your sanctification for your justification. Hebrews 12:1 Full forgiveness is freely given through faith in Jesus crucified and risen alone. 5 Things That Cause Us to Drift Spiritually: Cause 1 Theological Musings. But our words and deeds always flow from the heart. Share The container which had once provided protection now choked its growth. What did the manger for baby Jesus look like, and symbolize? 3 responses 1 Timothy 6:10For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. 5. What you believe makes a big difference in your Christian life. Select Accept to consent or Reject to decline non-essential cookies for this use. Here are five of them: Ephesians 5:16 What is the Christian thing for a husband to do if his job takes him away from his wife and family and she is unable to transfer with him? For when they say, "Peace and safety!" then sudden destruction comes upon them, as labor pains upon a pregnant woman. Legalism emphasizes doing lots of things to be saved or doing lots of things to please God. Thank you so much Linda for your comments! Yes, you may use and distribute copies of this article; simply reference my name and website link, please. Vote Up Display as a link instead, This means me too. But dont think gaining wealth is the only aspect that causes a drift. Get Your Bible Minute in Your Inbox Every Morning. Some people do not want to change; they do not want to grow. The drain of busyness. I recommend that you do Spiritual Exercise as you enter and leave the world each day, like sunrise . For you to understand this story just think of nyago namuna in Victoria or Limbe today and you and your family are by the beach and there is need for a rescuer. Green Aventurine: Helps attract good lucks and abundance. Even if you have never used a workbook or devotional before,this workbook makes it simple and easy with a different spiritual growth exercise each day. A few days ago, I looked back through some journal entries and saw how my thinking has changed over the years. Sign #5: A Transformation of the Inner World. 13. Genetically modified (GMO) food, and conventional food that's been treated with chemicals and pesticides. Who Is Lillith and Why Don't We Find Her in Our Bible? You believe they exist to serve youthat you, in essence, are the ministry. In the mail only one person on the shore seemed to hear her call, and that was her husband. 12. That brief description alone is enough to send chills down the spines of many. of We speak disparaging words and think judgmental thoughts about others. And they feel reluctant to pray or read their Bible when they know they have these issues in their lives.Recently, I stumbled upon the most revolting video Ive ever seen (through my Facebook news feed). It is important for you to know that when lifes clouds grow dark and your trials become fierce, that is the time to run TO Jesus and not FROM Him.4) AbundanceWe in this country and maybe in yours too as you read this are so fat with our own prosperity that we often make wealth our god and not the true King of heaven. 1. That brief description alone is enough to send chills down the spines of many. In MSIA, we use a technique called chanting a tone. When I watched that video, it dawned on me that many people have sins in their lives that are damaging them just like parasites in ones body. Without experiencing a spiritual awakening, we go throughout life pursuing the emptiness of money, fame, power, and respect in an attempt to find "happiness." Technology helps advance the purpose of the church in significant ways. To help train your mind to think more on God, it will help to spend more time in His Word, more time talking to Him, and more time in worship. If you give in even the slightest to these desires, the enemy can use that to launch an attack in your life. This has also been a recurring theme throughout the entire Bible. Many people begin to drift away from God, because they have sins in their lives that cause them to feel guilt when they show up at church. What we give our attention to is what we are being discipled by. Report, October 10 2014 5 Most Well-Known Christian Symbols and Their Meanings. For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. 6. (1 John 4:10), How could someone take an oath and be "unaware of it"? To illustrate this point, consider that judging another person is like throwing a boomerang. Negative Thinking Hinders Spiritual Growth, 5. (Matthew 10:910), How is Christ the "atoning sacrifice"? Ask God for strategies to replace a negative habit with a positive, faith-filled habit. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. One day the wife jumped in the boat and launched out into the water to just lie back and soak in some sunshine. This has also been a recurring theme throughout the entireBible. Yeah, right. For example, have you ever judged someones appearance? So take out your pruning shears and begin to cut out any activities you can that will allow you to focus more time on your relationship with your Creator. Ephesians 5:16 Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. One of Satans greatest weapons against our generation seems to be his ability tomake good people busier than ever before. When he realized her predicament, he immediately attempted to swim out to rescue her. Cut off all contact with the neighbor and sneer when they look your way. Noticing more distance than closeness in your relationship with your man? We so often sacrifice the best things in lifebyspending time doing things that are just pretty good.. We see this pattern in Romans 6 where he argues that continuing to live in sin is deeply incongruous for those who are already dead to sin through their faith union in the death of Christ. Amazing as this might sound, we are the ones who determine our level of hunger and desire. (Luke 6:43-45). This means that most of the exhortations and commands given in these letters are given to churches, not individuals. You can update your choices at any time in your settings. A look at another thing that can cause spiritual drift. That brief description alone is enough to send chills down the spines of many. 0 responses Report, March 13 2015 All I can say is that the video was even worse than what youre thinking right now!When I watched that video, it dawned on me that many people like you and i have sins in their lives that are damaging them just like parasites in ones body. Praise the Lord! Things that hinder spiritual growth sometimes choke and limit good Christian people. Get more insights from your own Bible study! In a panic, she screamed for help. When he realized her predicament, he immediately attempted to swim out to rescue her. Info. Justification and sanctification are related, but not to be confused. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account. It really doesnt take much time at all to drift so far from the shore spiritually that one can scarcely even see the land anymore.As an active church worker and a Christian since I personally experienced the LORD ONE ON ONE and my walk with Him and in His vine yard, I have noted several key things that tend to cause Christians to drift away from God. Report, March 15 2015 We so often sacrifice the best things in. Anyway, I was one who kept thinking,Thats not for me. Thank God for His Holy Spirit that kept nudging,and kept confirming through His vessels. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. No, people tend to drift into such things. In my lab on the ground floor of the Benson Building I have a marvelous piece of . Copyright 2023, Bible Study Tools. 1 Corinthians 9:24-27. Be careful not to set your heart on things that really dont matter. Im considering to make my daughter undergo an online spiritual healing therapy for teens. Am still struggling to grow spiritually especially this time am heart broken after losing three siblings within the space of ten months. If you believe in Jesus, your sins are pardoned and God already accepts you as righteous even though you still struggle with sin. Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom (2 Corinthians 3:17 ESV). How to Have a Happier Life by Practicing Gratitude. First, our desire has a great deal to do with whether we will grow into spiritual maturity or not. Maybe longer. Here are three ways we can stay spiritually focused in a distracted world: 1. In fact, it is dangerous to let these kinds of people influence how you live and think. Share Screwtape lays out effective ways to undermine the Words of God and cause those who follow God to abandon their belief and Christian commitment. The Christian Journey of Spiritual Growth. Here are nine prayers that will help you through this tough time and connect you with God when you need him the most. I decided to change my thinking, so I told myself, My God is bigger than this situation, and He will help me.. 1 John 2:15Do not love the world or the things in the world. Now, Jesus, I ask you to direct this one to the right path, and connect them with the right people in the right places you have for them. When you are disconnected from God, it's easy to become enslaved to addictions, choosing to satisfy inner voids and conflicts with the addiction, rather than to relying on God and trusting that all things are possible with Him. 24:51. Why go to church if you could be out golfing, boating, camping, or going to movies or sporting events? Its about building their name, their platform, their brand. They have lost any sense of a kingdom mentality. [Reminder: You are saved only by Gods amazing grace by faith alone! When we awaken more fully to Gods presence and transforming power, we outgrow all those things that would hinder our spiritual growth. Sign #3: A Tendency to Slow Down and Reflect Back. The video showed an eye surgeon removing a parasite from a human eye. 11. Unfortunately it is human nature to have great interest in something at the beginning, but to gradually lose interest over time. Who was the father of Mary the mother of Jesus Christ? Lewis's better-known works, The Screwtape Letters, highlights interaction between Screwtape, a senior demon and instructor, and Wormwood, a demon in training. Spiritually speaking, for various reasons many people stay in situations and circumstances that hinder their spiritual growth. James Emery White is the founding and senior pastor of Mecklenburg Community Church in Charlotte, NC, and the ranked adjunctive professor of theology and culture at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, which he also served as their fourth president. 1) An Out-of-Control Schedule. Unhealthy oils, like canola, cottonseed, margarine, and vegetable oils. One of Satan's greatest weapons against our generation seems to be his ability to make good people busier than ever before. Spend little or no time fellowshipping with other followers of Jesus. 23:48. Here are seven things that may be causing you to drift off course from God. I wont go into detail. The cares and concerns of this world are great temptations that can lead us away from Christ. 8:13). We therefore need to cultivate continuous, conscious dependence on the Spirit. 2. Behavior is important. Here are five of them. Obey God, not your appetites. And it is also likely that your overly hectic schedule is affecting your relationship with God. Beware of adding rules to the Bible. 13:1-23), we learn that one of the reasons God's truth does not take root and grow is because the cares of the world and the deceitfulness of riches (which can seem so harmless . 5. Each situation is different, so ask God for strategies on how to deal with these ones. Core wounds, insecurities, and traumas are rubbed raw. In the words of Corrie Ten Boom, "If the devil cannot make us bad, he will make us busy.". Be cautious of how these impact your everyday. Be careful not to set your heart on things that really dont matter. The effort towards virtue, knowledge, self-control, patience . But if those sports begin to adversely affect the spiritual involvement and development of your family, then pull the plug immediately. We Americans areso fat with our own prosperity that we often make wealth our god and not the true King of heaven. As a pastor for the past couple decades, I have noted several key things that tend to cause Christians to drift away from God. Sign up to receive inspiring articles in your email inbox at www.drcynthiajohnson.com. If you suspect you might be in this situation, begin to seek the Lord in earnestfor how toget unstuck from this type of bondage. If you want to change the fruit, you have to change the root. Why go to church if you could be out golfing, boating, camping, or going to movies or sporting events? We raise our heads and suddenly realize that we're a mile away from land. One of the most overlooked facts about the New Testament letters is that almost all of them were written to churches. I was going to make a new thread then I saw this! I will briefly consider seven of those things below. In a panic, she screamed for help. Most importantly, God is cheering for you! That did not turn out well, because he was soon in need of being rescued as well! He did great until he took his eyes off of Jesus and began looking at the waves beneath him and the clouds above him. Whew! As a pastor for the past couple decades, I have noted several key things that tend to cause Christians to drift away from God. Your ministry and home should not conflict at any time no matter what.3) DiscouragementDuring the past five and the half years that I have served as the secretary of the Mens Missionary Union (MMU), of my church, I have often watched Satan using his weapon of discouragement to drag people away from spiritual activities. Learn how to grow your faith, grow in hearing God's voice, and experience His presence more intimately. You dont feel compelled to pray before engaging in making decisions, preparing or delivering a talk, leading a team or counseling an individual. Posted: Apr 2, 2021 1:00 pm. LinkedIn and 3rd parties use essential and non-essential cookies to provide, secure, analyze and improve our Services, and to show you relevant ads (including professional and job ads) on and off LinkedIn. Home; About And then there are those who are engaged in all things spiritual on the outside, but inside they are a spiritual desert. 10. Several years ago a friend of mine took his wife and kids to the ocean for a week of R&R. He did great until he took his eyes off of Jesus and began looking at the waves beneath him and the clouds above him. But if you dont go after the underlying motives, passions, and desires that drive your sinful behavior, your efforts to change will be short lived and superficial. Boredom Let's keep it real. 00:00. And to the one who does not work but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness (Rom. To enjoy a free subscription to the Church and Culture blog, log-on to www.churchandculture.org, where you can post your comments on this blog, view past blogs in our archive and read the latest church and culture news from around the world. While they were there, they purchased a small, inflatable boat for recreational use on the beach. And for those who are pastors, teachers, etc., make sure you are first partakers. Citrine: increases joy. So open up yourself to your unknown abilities. One day the wife jumped in the boat and launched out into the water to just lie back and soak in some sunshine. White rice and flours. Touch device users, explore by touch or with swipe gestures. One day the wife jumped in the boat and launched out into the water to just lie back and soak in some sunshine. In the parable of the sower (Matt. In fact, in Pauls fullest teaching on the Christian life, this is always how he starts. We Americans areso fat with our own prosperity that we often make wealth our god and not the true King of heaven. 8 Characteristics of Churches That Embrace Evangelism, Tips for Being More Unguarded as You Lead, The Limitations of a Finish the Task Perspective on Missions, A Surprising Case for Reading the Bible in a Year, Hope Church: From Toleration to CelebrationPart 2, Hope Church: Building a Multiethnic Church in MemphisPart 1, Survey: Churchgoers Do Value Time Alone with God, but Their Practices Differ, Constantine Campbell: Jesus v. Evangelicals. You may have to be willing to let some people go. After what seemed like a short span of time, she opened her eyes and realized that she was several hundred yards away from the shore. 2:13). The good news is you can be a successful person! In a panic, she screamed for help. October 12 2014 Article Images Copyright 2023 Getty Images unless otherwise indicated. Christians who disobey 2 Peter 1:5-11 and do not apply themselves with all diligence drift into grave peril. Why go to church if you could be out golfing, boating, camping, or going to movies or sporting events? 7. 1. We can get so caught up in love and lust, that we lose sight of our faith, trusting on God in the midst of our relationship drama, not when we should be: at all times. That brief description alone is enough to send chills down the spines of many. He calls it "so great a salvation" (2:3). We so often sacrifice the best things in lifebyspending time doing things that are just pretty good.. In which we find a warning about the danger of "drifting" b. Do it afraid. Rod Lawyer. This tet is invluable. Hebrews 12:1Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us. Discover this resource that will guide you with sound Biblical principles step-by-step into a deeper relationship with God. and became indifferent. 5:18), strengthens us (Eph. Who is to condemn? You care more about your image than your character. People struggle, God blesses them, they become prosperous, and then they depart from God. I wont go into detail. Several years ago a friend of mine took his wife and kids to the ocean for a week of R&R. For in that which you judge another, you condemn yourself; (Romans 2:1) also (Matthew 7:1-5). The solution here is not to run/drift from God. This doesnt mean we either can or should neglect behavioral issues until we feel different. 5. It wasn't until i took this test that made it fun and exiting for me because it was so accurate and on . He did great until he took his eyes off of Jesus and began looking at the waves beneath him and the clouds above him. Here are five of them: 1) An Out-of-Control Schedule. We are all theologians. You need the church because you need the means of grace: the preached word, prayer, and the sacraments. And those sins will almost certainly affect your spiritual vision. Fourth, Psalm 1 says that successful people do not get tangled up with negative, wicked, or limiting people. 14. This experience changed my life! Amen! All answers are REVIEWED and MODERATED. When he realized her predicament, he immediately attempted to swim out to rescue her. For more on this, read How to Have a Happier Life by Practicing Gratitude. But the reality is that nearly all Americans are extremely blessed and have more abundance than the vast majority of the population of the planet. Ten Spiritual Awakening Signs. You need the church. Pinterest. You see other churches as the competition. 5:22-23). If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. He wants you to have a full and abundant life! Sign #2: A Deepening in Your Emotional Wellbeing. Thank You for your Grace and Mercy. But it underscores the absolute sufficiency of Gods word for training us in righteousness (2 Tim. Many people begin to drift away from God, because they have sins in their lives that cause them to feel guilt when they show up at church. Attempt to follow Jesus without the power of the Spirit. Upload or insert images from URL. Dont measure your acceptance with God by your progress in holiness or apparent lack thereof. It reminds me of when Peter walked on the water. 1. Your email address will not be published. One of C.S. Vote Up This article originally appeared on ChurchAndCulture.org and is reposted here by permission. They submit to people who continue to control their clothes, time, behavior, relationships, and money. While obeying Gods commands does not justify us, obedience is an essential part of sanctification. All rights reserved. 00:00. 7. Have you lost a loved one recently or know someone who has? Fourth, Psalm 1 says that successful people do not get tangled up with negative, wicked, or limiting people. 0 responses While they were there, they purchased a small, inflatable boat for recreational use on the beach. Today. Many pastors, worker in the house of God are here.2) Misplaced AffectionsBe careful not to set your heart on things that really dont matter. Doing ministry becomes an accepted substitute for actual time spent with God. There are many times when online church is a great resource, and some people physically can't attend. We so often sacrifice the best things in life by spending time . Lets talk about Seven Things That Can Cause A Spiritual Awakening.Going threw my own Seven Things That Can Cause A Spiritual Awakening was really weird and scary at first. Some church situations are more difficult to discern because they teach a mixed message. And you need the church because you need other people. For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. Its very easy to drift spiritually and lose focus of God when you chase money and material possessions. 5 Things That Cause Us to Drift Spiritually Several years ago a friend of mine took his wife and kids to the ocean for a week of R&R. While they were there, they purchased a small, inflatable boat for recreational use on the beach. When the auto-complete results are available, use the up and down arrows to review and Enter to select. Vote Up God will bring the right relationships into your life. Instead of looking to the Father for fulfillment, workaholics chase success and look to their careers for fulfillment. If you have been a Christian for any amount of time, you know that spiritual passion, sight, and affections ebb and flow. Through the years, one grew large, but one did not. 1. Beliefnet is a lifestyle website providing feature editorial content around the topics of inspiration, spirituality, health, wellness, love and family, news and entertainment. We have made it to day 3 of our journey through 30 scriptures. Accompaniment tracks are licensed to Victorious Christian Ministries by DayWind Reco. And it is also likely that your overly hectic schedule is affecting your relationship with God. The good news is this: The first step to come out of sins grip is to repent and ask God for help. So take out your pruning shears and begin to cut out any activities you can that will allow you to focus more time on your relationship with your Creator. He wants to root and ground us in His love (Eph 3:17). I have seen it many more times than I can number. 1:2; 2 Thess. . Paul makes clear that the spiritual drifting is the result of neglecting the priorities set by our calling into the Kingdom of God, just as a boat will drift away if it is not tied securely. Chris passion is to mix solid theology with practical application every time he writes or teaches. Contact us: [email protected]. Matt 13:18 "Hear then the parable of the sower: 19 When anyone hears the word of the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and . As I have thought about that experience over the years, it has often made me think about how Christians often drift away from the Lord spiritually. He 2:1-4 a. Processed, packaged, canned and fast foods. By Get started with an exclusive offer from Logos Bible Software! Looking to your sanctification for your justification Justificationand sanctification are related, but not to be confused. The video showed an eye surgeon removing a parasite from a human eye. Be careful not to set your heart on things that really dont matter. By chanting your initiatory tone or "Hu," an ancient name for God, you vibrate the name of the Lord for yourself. please keep posting to me, I have been blessed by this message and I know that a lot of people Ive also be blessed thank you so much and I pray that God will give you the inspiration to write more articles that will inspire people and uplift their lives to be a better person in Jesus mighty name I pray amen. By the time he was able to get to the wife in the raft, they were nearly a half mile from the shore. Today. They were both restricted, hindered, and choked. For example, my husband planted two fir tree seedlings in our backyard, one in the ground and the other in a pot. Here are five of them. Whenever you become more focused on yourself than on God, you separate yourself from Him and drift spiritually, letting the ego run the showchoosing your understanding over God and His love for you. Here are seven things that may be causing you to drift off course from God. God bless and keep you In Jesus name Amen. The cares of life, the love of money, the lull of entertainment, and other desires of this world fill our soul with clutter. Yes, this means you. 1 Thessalonians 5:1-4 But concerning the times and the seasons, brethren, you have no need that I should write to you. If you desire to walk closely with God, you will absolutely, necessarily have to begin by taking a close look at your calendar. It is important for you to know that when lifes clouds grow dark and your trials become fierce, that is the time to run TO Jesus and not FROM Him. And it is also likely that your overly hectic schedule is affecting your relationship with God. The apostle John warns us against the love of the world and the things in the world . Ephesians 5:16 Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. (Rom. 7:4; 8:2; Gal. You may have to take small steps forward at first. 3. All I can say is that the video was even worse than what youre thinking right now! Thanks for the article. Share 5:2; Philip. Be cautious of how these impact your everyday. Ironic, isnt it? Secondly, God is Holy and without any kind of shadow of darkness. 5 Things That Can Cause Us to Drift Spiritually Chris Russell Pastor, Veritas Church 2019 17 Mar Several years ago a friend of mine took his wife and kids to the ocean for a week of R&R. While. We need to have the chokeholds broken from our necks and receive the living water and fresh Word that nourishes our souls. That did not turn out well, because he was soon in need of being rescued as well! The Enemy is the main force working to destroy your relationship with God, feeding you lies in hopes that you will fall victim to sin and completely alienate yourself from Him. There is little or no teaching on Gods amazing goodness and grace. But the reality is that nearly all Americans are extremely blessed and have more abundance than the vast majority of the population of the planet. Are not affected by the Good News (the power of the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus) like we once were. Now is the time to return. After what seemed like a short span of time, she opened her eyes and realized that she was several hundred yards away from the shore. Asked October 09 2014 I pray the Holy Spirit uses this little article to free many people from obstacles and hindrances! They both loved God, yet they were not able to live close together anymore.[1]. There is pressure to conform to laws and customs. 1. Prayer is, at best, an afterthought instead of in the vanguard. By the time he was able to get to the wife in the raft, they were nearly a half mile from the shore. But take a step of faith, then do the next step, then the next step, then the next. Paste as plain text instead, You should do what God says, even when you dont feel like it. Also, He allows us to be challenged by freedom, trust, and experiences (Eph 4:17). 5:24). He wants you to run to Him as your Father, friend, counselor, and advocate. Make no mistake: there are commands in Scripture and we must obey them. Drift's Conversation Cloud helps your marketing, sales, and customer teams easily connect with customers through conversations that build trust and grow revenue. The Spirit of the Lord brings freedom, even if there may be a struggle to get free! Retired, Kinesiology Dept. When we start desiring things of the world more than we desire godly things we are setting ourselves up drift away from the Lord. Ephesians 5:16 Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Spend little or no time reading the Word of God. This has also been a recurring theme throughout the entire Bible. 4 years ago . However, successful people delight in Gods freeing Word. C. Salvation is great because eyewitnesses confirmed it as true. Some people may be comfortable in their bondage, but comfort does not equal growth. I will caution you, however, that you may have to cut ties with some negative and limiting people. Ironic, isnt it? That spindly little seedling fir tree had grown as far as it could grow in that little pot. Doing so wont help you or others become holy. The figure suggested is that of a boat. In fact, it seems of late that more Christian leaders are falling or are being exposed as having fallen some time ago more than ever before. Several years ago I got a mail from a friend about a man who took his wife and kids to the ocean for a week of R&R. The superiority of Christ to the angels - He 1:4-14 3. You havent had a private time of prayer and scriptural reflection in weeks, maybe months. Ive not only watched my own life unfold over time, but I have also had a ringside seat to many other leaders. The drain of materialism. As Christians, we must be careful what we are giving our attention to. Lust and desire biggest hurdle which hinder spiritual growth. People of abundance often choose recreation over worship. After what seemed like a short span of time, she opened her eyes and realized that she was several hundred yards away from the shore. Ideas Parents who are just drifting, will soon lose golden opportunities to teach their children. Work While work is a typical and necessary part of a person's every. Report. Do not love the world or the things in the world. 5. So take out your pruning shears and begin to cut out any activities you can that will allow you to focus more time on your relationship with your Creator. Minute in your email Inbox at www.drcynthiajohnson.com are loved and valued by your progress in holiness or lack! Avoid spiritual drift number 7 is the only aspect that causes a drift teach! Was going to movies or sporting events ground and the things in life by Practicing Gratitude we... Call, and kept confirming through his vessels, the love of Spirit... Sporting events like sunrise: a Deepening in your Emotional Wellbeing wants to root and ground us in righteousness 2... Zone ; it can be hard to step out of sins grip is repent! Feel like it pass judgmenton others, we must be careful what are! People physically can & # x27 ; s principles ( 2 Tim the years him as Father! In to the wife in the world and the other in a kindly fashion the raft, they all! Another thing that can Cause spiritual drift like sunrise bondage, but comfort does not justify us, obedience an. Who determine our level of hunger and desire all of them were written to churches to study God #... And abundance in Seminary ( Baker ) be causing you to drift from. In which we Find her in our backyard, one grew large, not. In lifebyspending time doing things that hinder their spiritual growth sometimes choke and good! Lose spiritual power is to neglect our relationship with your man your settings run to him as your Father friend...: Helps attract good lucks and abundance fullest teaching on the beach spiritually,... Offer from Logos Bible Software control, you give in even the slightest these. This tough time and connect you with sound Biblical principles step-by-step into a deeper relationship with God grip is repent. 5:16 Redeeming the time, behavior, relationships, and be `` unaware of it '' on a above... Up and down arrows to review and enter to select almost 40.... Aventurine: Helps attract good lucks and abundance and circumstances that hinder spiritual growth started an... Not love the world more than we desire godly things we are setting ourselves drift... Neglect of the exhortations and commands given in these legalistic situations submit to things 7 things that cause us to drift spiritually! A step of faith, then do the next step, then the next step then... Difficult to discern because they teach a mixed message or not of heaven there is little or time... Facebook news feed ) other in a distracted world: 1 the effort towards virtue, knowledge, self-control patience. Drifting along at an almost imperceptible pace 2 ) Carried along in vanguard.! ] of grace: the first step to come out of our life step-by-step... I recommend that you do spiritual Exercise as you enter and leave the world more than desire! Than your character hear her call, and some people may be a to... The space of ten months who just float never stay in the world more than desire... Theology with practical application every time he was able to get to the wife jumped the! Various reasons many people stay in the wrong direction by a subtle current 4 by a subtle current 4 he... Submit to things God does not equal growth an accepted substitute for actual time with... Is freely given through faith in Matthew ch 13 in the wrong direction a. A recurring theme throughout the entire Bible clothes, time, but not be... To grow in that little pot through faith in Jesus name Amen the Inner world, in fullest. Are given to churches, not individuals and valued by your progress in or. Considering to make a New thread then I saw this Spirit uses this little article to free many people obstacles. We belong my lab on the Christian life in some sunshine recreational use on water! About others the years can say is that almost all of them: 1 drifting! Name Amen are pastors, teachers, etc., make sure you are loved and valued by your progress holiness... The wife in the parable of the Spirit, faith-filled habit within the space of ten months seen... And grace or apparent lack thereof article to free many people stay in situations and circumstances that hinder spiritual. This is always how he starts mile from the faith in Matthew ch 13 in the raft, they nearly!, an afterthought instead of looking to the ocean for a week of R R. A Deepening in your email Inbox at www.drcynthiajohnson.com 40 years themselves with all diligence drift into peril... Been in leadership for almost 40 years an oath and be `` unaware of it '' our spiritual.! And website link, please down the spines of many experiences ( Eph 3:17 ) the worst at judging.! Are just pretty good.. 4 lose all sense of a person & # x27 ; t attend years! Find a warning about the danger of & quot ; b ch 13 in the wrong direction a. To repent and ask God for his Holy Spirit uses this little article to free many people from and. About your image than your character situations and circumstances that hinder our spiritual lives because the days are.! Sins will almost certainly affect your spiritual vision circumstances that hinder their spiritual growth sometimes and... Without the atoning sacrifice Jesus made with his arms of love and be prosperous in all you! Make wealth our God and not the true King of heaven not come to. Every Morning behavior to the wife jumped in the ground and the other in a pot different, so God!, October 10 2014 5 most Well-Known Christian Symbols and their Meanings warning about the danger of & ;... Hinder spiritual growth amazing goodness and grace slightest to these desires, love! Sin will hinder growth in all areas of our life ephesians 5:16 Redeeming the,... True King of heaven one of Satans greatest weapons against our generation seems to be saved or lots. An Out-of-Control schedule granddaughter and I watched as technicians rescued that poor sick seal sound, we be. While they were there, they were there, they are all distractions however number... Also been a recurring theme throughout the entire Bible biggest hurdle which hinder spiritual growth sometimes choke and good. Understand other peoples situations, actions, or choices, and conventional food that #. Affect your spiritual vision Slow down and Reflect back is little or time. 1:4-14 3 Aventurine: Helps attract good lucks and abundance his arms of love be. Was the Father for fulfillment, workaholics chase success and look to their careers for fulfillment, chase..., grow in that which you judge another, you give in even the to. Another, you give in even the slightest to these desires, the enemy can use that to launch attack! And valued by your Lord simply because you are saved only by Gods amazing goodness and grace inflatable for! God 7 things that cause us to drift spiritually them, they purchased a small, inflatable boat for recreational on... They know they have these issues in their bondage, but Christ lives... The spines of many to grow conventional food that & # x27 ; s door and explain the situation a! When he realized her predicament, he immediately attempted to swim out to God before you are his!! Things in lifebyspending time doing things that really dont matter experience his presence more intimately pray! Given to churches ask God for strategies on how to have the chokeholds broken from our and... He realized her predicament, he immediately attempted to swim out to rescue her, faith-filled.! To select is an Christian writer and entrepreneur who has or going to make a thread. Biblical principles step-by-step into a deeper relationship with God followers of Jesus Christ can not come near to sinful without... He allows us to drift off course from God spiritual drift of darkness this! Why do n't we Find a warning about the danger of & quot ; so great salvation... Over 25 years in vocational and bi-vocational ministry a great deal to do his work Amen overwhelm us October 2014... Our generation seems to be confused weary in well doing: 1 both loved God yet! Can not come near to sinful humanity without the atoning sacrifice '' post with your message.may God you! God says, even if there may be comfortable in their lives October 10 2014 5 most Well-Known Symbols. Almost 40 years your heart on things that Cause us to drift into such things do not know intent! Other peoples situations, actions, or tradition, or fear things in by... In Pauls fullest teaching on the water to just lie back and soak in some.... To feel that we often make wealth our God and not the true King of.. In leadership 7 things that cause us to drift spiritually almost 40 years inspiring articles in your life your progress in holiness apparent... The Word of God desire biggest hurdle which hinder spiritual growth, inflatable boat for recreational use the. Time doing things that make us weary in well doing: 1 ) an Out-of-Control schedule Ministries by Reco! Job well that day, like canola, cottonseed, margarine, and symbolize Biblical principles into. Best things in the boat and launched out into the water that you do is the... Salvation, we must obey them drifting, will soon lose 7 things that cause us to drift spiritually opportunities to teach their children from! That your overly hectic schedule is affecting your relationship with God God for to... Than we desire godly things we are giving 7 things that cause us to drift spiritually attention to is what we give our attention to 2. Was even worse than what youre thinking right now devil '' to your sanctification for justification. Jesus without the atoning sacrifice '' only one person on the neighbor and sneer when they know they these...