That charisma that just makes you take notice and want to see more. On the film side, he was known for appearing in "The Hitcher" in 1986 and "Maverick" in 1994. She went on to make several westerns before appearing in Blake Edwardss knockabout comedy The Perfect Furlough (1958). Helens, The Hitcher, Runaway Jury, Walk Proud and Soda Springs.. The marriage was annulled after only a few weeks. In addition to starring in Disneys Zorro and Son, which ran for five episodes, Darrow provided the voice of Zorro and Don Diego for Filmations animated series The New Adventures of Zorro. In the early 1990s, he replaced Efrem Zimbalist Jr. as Zorros father, Don Diego, in a reincarnation of the series that starred Duncan Regehr. Character actor Henry Darrow has died at age 87. There just werent too many avenues for Latino actors at the time. BCU Photo Bank/NBCUniversal, via Getty Images. She thought of following the example of her five aunts and entering a convent, but fate intervened. 2023 Variety Media, LLC. I was a mother who had lost a son in the war. News editor, Legacy.com. pic.twitter.com/LqFp7ELX0c, We honor the career and achievements of Henry Darrow, the pride of Puerto Rico and a SAG Board member from 1970-73. All Rights Reserved. pic.twitter.com/eNT75niw3T, two days ago the world lost a fantastic actor: Enrique Toms Delgado Jimnez, better known as Henry Darrow. Named 2017's Obituary Writer of the Year by the Society of Professional Obituary Writers. Besides her son Jordan, she is survived by another son, Gregory Wexler, and two grandchildren. I tried a scene as a street walker. Before I was through, I had taken off my hat, my shoes and even my jacket. "I said, 'I'm ready to read for the part.' Darrow also voiced Zorro in the 1981 cartoon series The New Adventures of Zorro. He played Manolito Montoya in the Western drama. Henry Darrow, an actor known for his work on " The High Chaparral ," has died. R.I.P. Billed now as Henry Darrow, the actor stole women's hearts and much of the proceedings as the roguish ladies' man Manolito Montoya, who would rather make love than war. Henry Darrow, an actor known for his work on "The High Chaparral," has died. The show also happened to feature an up-and-comer namedFarrah Fawcett in her pre-Angels days. Get the best of Fox News' entertainment coverage, right in your inbox. Nichelle Nichols, Nyota Uhura on Star Trek: The Original Series, R.I.P. She was 89. By clicking Accept All Cookies, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyze site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts. Ben Cooper, a familiar face from dozens of TV westerns and the Twilight Zone. Cristal won another Golden Globe for her performance, and she was Emmy nominated. I never became a big star, but then I wouldnt have been a big nun either, she told Look magazine in 1960. We helped young Latino actors and actresses. All young actors should study Henry (as I did) and learn. He returned to the franchise, if not the title character, in 1983s CBS series Zorro and Son and the 1990-93 Zorro on the Family Channel. Along with being a longtime SAG-AFTRA member, Darrow co-founded the Screen Actors Guild Ethnic Minority Committee in 1972 alongside fellow actors Ricardo Montalbn, Edith Diaz and Carmen Zapata and was a founder of Nosotros, an organization aimed at helping Latino actors land non-stereotyped parts. . He was 87. Rest in peace to a legend. He also founded an organization designed to help Latino actors land roles not associated with racial stereotypes called Nosotros, which translates to "We. He attended the Pasadena Playhouse and met his first wife, Lucy. After earning a scholarship for acting and graduating, Darrow moved like so many aspiring performers to Los Angeles in the 1950s. Darrow's publicist, Michael B. Druxman, announced the news on his Facebook page Monday, writing, "Rest in peace, my friend. died from natural causes on Sunday (March 14). Market data provided by Factset. ("To Althea, from Prison" (Stone walls do not a prison make, Nor iron bars a cage)), December 1, 1982 - March 14, 2021 (his death), Publicity site for Henry Darrow's authorized biography. most famous as Manolito in "High Chapparal" Henry had that it factor. Character actor Henry Darrow, best known for his role as Manolito Montoya on 1960s Western The High Chaparral, died Sunday at the age of 87. ", "We honor the career and achievements of Henry Darrow, the pride of Puerto Rico and a SAG Board member from 1970-73," the organization wrote on Twitter. After a modest film career, followed by guest roles on television, Ms. Cristal auditioned for The High Chaparral, a western developed by David Dortort, the creator and producer of Bonanza. In her telling, it was a memorable occasion. In 1988 she came out of retirement to join the cast of General Hospital, playing Dimitra, the mistress of the crime boss Victor Jerome (Jack Axelrod). Throughout the 60s, Darrow appeared in television series such as Wagon Train, Bonanza, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Gunsmoke and Daniel Boone. Additionally, he appeared in the first season of Harry O and won a daytime Emmy for his role on the soap opera Santa Barbara.. Linda Cristal, the Argentine-born actress who played Victoria Cannon, wife of Leif Erickson's stoic, heroic rancher Big John Cannon on NBC's popular 1967-71 Western "The High Chaparral," died. Read Next: Christina Applegate Shuts Down Hateful Commenter Who Said Plastic Surgery Changed Her Body, Not MS: What Is Wrong With People?, The cast of The High Chaparral included Leif Erickson, Mark Slade, Linda Cristal, Henry Darrow and Cameron Mitchell, Will Tom Hanks Ever Retire? who was played by Linda Cristal (1931-2020). You've successfully subscribed to this newsletter! Henry Darrow (born Enrique Toms Delgado Jimnez; September 15, 1933 March 14, 2021) was an American character actor of stage and film known for his role as Manolito \"Mano\" Montoya on the 1960s television series The High Chaparral. or redistributed. The scene they handed me to read was all tenderness and sweetness, and I knew they were looking for a heroine with fire and spunk, Ms. Cristal told The Boston Globe in 1968. Born Enrique Toms Delgado Jr. in New York City, Darrow returned with his family to Puerto Rico in his teens, later moving to California to study acting at the Pasadena Playhouse. With Leif Erickson, Cameron Mitchell, Henry Darrow, Linda Cristal. On daytime TV, Darrow appeared on Santa Barbara from 1989-92 and The Bold and the Beautiful from 1998-2001. Character Actor Henry Darrow dies at 87. Her mother, the former Rosario Pego, was Italian. She appeared with John Wayne (1907 1999) in The Alamo (1960) and with James Stewart (1908 1997) in Two Rode Together (1961). When she was 13, both of her parents died of carbon monoxide poisoning while in their car. With Big Johns son and brother, the couple turn the High Chaparral ranch into the headquarters of a cattle empire, surviving conflicts with Apaches, rustlers and Mexicans. Darrow, Lauren Darrow, Edward James Olmos, 2012 Alma Awards, Shrinking: Cast & EPs On Tackling Sadness Through Comedy In Apple Series, Antoine Fuqua To Direct Michael Jackson Biopic For Lionsgate; John Logan Scripting & Bohemian Rhapsodys Graham King Producing With Estate, Edward R. Pressman Dies: Prolific Wall Street, American Psycho & Badlands Producer Was 79, Sade, Snoop Dogg And Gloria Estefan Among 2023 Songwriters Hall Of Fame Inductees, Bruce Gowers Dies: Groundbreaking Music Video Director Of Queens Bohemian Rhapsody Was 82, Santa Fe D.A. The High Chaparral: Created by David Dortort. In addition to his role in The High Chaparral, Darrow played police detective Manny Quinlan in the first season of ABC's Harry O in the mid-1970s and received a Daytime Emmy Award in 1990 for his role as Rafael Castillo in NBC soap opera Santa Barbara. Films & More. "The great Henry Darrow has died. The news of the actor's passing was shared on Facebook by his publicist, who confirmed that Darrow. The year 1990 was a memorable one for Darrow, as he also won the Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series for his work on the soap opera Santa Barbara. Mutual Fund and ETF data provided by Refinitiv Lipper. He was 87. In film, Darrow played the corrupt and vengeful Trooper Hancock in The Hitcher. Fox News Flash top entertainment and celebrity headlines are here. Signup for Breaking News Alerts & Newsletters, Get our latest storiesin the feed of your favorite networks. He was 87. Get breaking news alerts& today's headlines inyour inbox. Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy. He was 87. All rights reserved. pic.twitter.com/uBrX12PGto. In his teens, his parents moved the family back to their native Puerto Rico, where Darrow grew up and attended college before heading to Pasadena, California, in 1954, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Quoted by CNN, the New York Times, and Macleans. He reached his television peak in the western program, which also starred Leif Erickson, Cameron Mitchell and Linda Cristal, who played his sister. After appearing in The Last of the Fast Guns (1958), The Fiend Who Walked the West (1958) and Cry Tough (1959), a drama about Puerto Ricans in New York, Ms. Cristal tried to break out of Latino parts by taking the title role in Cleopatras Legions., I was sure that picture would do it for me, she told Parade magazine in 1960. His first credited small-screen role came on Wagon Train, in "The Stagecoach Story," though the actor was billed as "Henry Delgado" in that episode. Manolito who didn't want it must convince his uncle to save the ranch and to work with Big John as well. Harris (19912023), American Idol contestant. It was started in 1970 with Ricardo Montalban as president. Arthur Duncan (19252023), tap dancer on The Betty Keith Beaton (19502023), singer with Blue Magic, Jay Briscoe (19842023), Ring of Honor wrestler, Arthur Duncan (19252023), tap dancer on The Betty White Show, Gina Lollobrigida (19272023), Italian film star of Hollywoods Golden Age. He won a Daytime Emmy award . He won a Daytime Emmy award for his performance. (pictured at top: Henry Darrow in Walk Proud.). His many other TV appearances include Gunsmoke, Night Gallery, The Mod Squad, Wonder Woman, Magnum, P.I., Star Trek: The Next Generation, and The Golden Girls. Darrow also appeared in movies including The Hitcher., There was an organization called Nosotros, which means us in Spanish. Her first English-language role was in Comanche (1956), and she won a Golden Globe Award for New Star of the Year for her performance in The Perfect Furlough (1958). His death was announced on Facebook by his former publicist Michael B. Druxman.A cause was not specified. You've got it. Linda Cristal (19312020), starred as Victoria Cannon in The High Chaparral, Lupe Serrano (19302023), ballerina who danced with Nureyev, C.J. Darrow replaced Efrem Zimbalist Jr. as Zorro's father Don Alejandro de la Vega in the 1990s television series Zorro. So I asked them if I could throw away the script and just improvise., She went full-throttle. In several interviews, Ms. Cristal said that her father came into conflict with a criminal gang and fled with his family to Montevideo, Uruguay. In my intensity I was all over these people, roughing them up. (Sept. 15, 1933 March 14, 2021)," he wrote. In my intensity I was all over these people, roughing them up. A number of series happened over the next few years and it eventually worked out fine. from a 2015 interview for Classic Film & TV Caf. After serving as president of his high school class, Darrow went on to attend the University of Rio Piedras as a political science and theater major. By the end of the decade, his stage work had garnered enough attention for him to land television roles. Anyone can read what you share. #sagaftramember since 1958.". Darrow's publicist, Michael B. Druxman,. Of Puerto Rican descent, he was born in New York City but resided in Puerto Rico as a teenager and collegiate before returning to the mainland on an acting scholarship to the Pasadena Playhouse in the late 1950s. He appeared regularly on episodic TV throughout the next several decades, including primetime appearances on Quincy M.E., Benson, Hart to Hart, T.J. Hooker, Dallas, Scarecrow and Mrs. King, The Golden Girls, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Voyager and One Tree Hill, among many others. You talked us into it.'". After the death of Don Sebastion, his ranch is willed to his brother whose only concern is gambling, women, drinking, and a good time. In a fusion of dynasties, she marries Big John Cannon, played by Leif Erickson, whose wife was killed by an Apache arrow in the shows first episode. Largely out of the public eye after The High Chaparral, Cristal made a few final appearances on TV shows including Police Story and The Love Boat., The scene they handed me to read was all tenderness and sweetness, and I knew they were looking for a heroine with fire and spunk. You will be missed.". Darrow also took part in many stage productions such as The Alchemist and Dark of the Moon. He caught the attention of Bonanza creator David Dortort while appearing in the 1965 stage production of The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit at the Coronet Theatre in Los Angeles, where he was immediately offered a role in the Western series The High Chaparral He played Manolito Montoya, a roguish man who would rather make love than war, on 97 episodes of the series from 1967 to 1971. I was the first vice president. A native of Argentina, Cristal began her acting career at home and in Mexico before transitioning to U.S. movies and TV. Victoria studied voice and piano at the conservatory and at 16 married the Argentine actor Tito Gmez. To Reveal Decision On Possible Rust Charges This Week, On-Location Filming Falls In 2022 As TV Pilot Production Plummets By 71.9%, Sequel Poised To Hit $2 Billion Global This Weekend, Sits At No. And David Dortort replied: 'You don't have to. News editor, Legacy.com. She was born Marta Victoria Moya on Feb. 23, 1931, in Buenos Aires. Im Not Working for the Sake of Working, Snooki and JWowws New Years Goal Is to Become Judges on RuPauls Drag Race, Emily in Paris Cast Talks Love Triangles and Indecisiveness in Third Installment: Its a Coming-of-Age Season, After 'Veep' and 'Seinfeld,' Julia Louis-Dreyfus Is Finally Ready to Be a Movie Star, Madonna Unveils Dates for 'Celebration' World Tour, Featuring 'Four Decades of Mega Hits', Jeremy Renner Face Bruises Removed From 'Mayor of Kingstown' Poster After Accident, Amazon Likely to Part Ways With Jeremy Clarkson After Final Commissioned Shows Go to Air; 'Grand Tour Host Sent Email Apology to Harry & Meghan, 'Avatar: The Way of Water' Crosses 'Avengers: Endgame' to Become Highest Hollywood Grosser of All Time in India, Steven Spielberg Plans to Direct TV: I Wouldve Directed 'Mare of Easttown' and Almost Made 'Lincoln' a Six-Hour HBO Series, Oscars Predictions: Best Picture A 'Whale' of Possibilities After PGA, DGA and SAG, Jeremy Renner Out of the Hospital and at Home Following Snow Plow Accident, 'Ghost' Remake Eyed by Channing Tatum, but Without Problematic Stereotypes: 'It Needs to Change A Little Bit', Netflix Unveils 'Murder Mystery 2,' Zack Snyders 'Rebel Moon' Footage in 2023 Movie Preview, Critics' Choice Awards 2023 Full Winners List, Amazon Life Hacks Picked By Variety Editors That Will Change Your Life in 2023, How HBOs 'The Last of Us' Avoided the 'Mistake' of Video Game Adaptations, Amazon Likely to Part Ways With Jeremy Clarkson After Final Commissioned Shows Go to Air, How A Man Called Otto Beat the Box Office Odds. Ms. Cristal won a Golden Globe in 1970 as best actress in a drama series for her work on the show. Bonanza producerDavid Dortort caught the performance and cast Darrow in his new project, The High Chaparral. "I said, 'I'd like to speak in Spanish and that I would learn Indian sign language,'" he recounted. He was 87. He was born Enrique Toms Delgado in New York City on September 15, 1933, the first son of Puerto Rico immigrants Gloria and Enrique Po Delgado. Details on survivors were not immediately available. Henry Darrow, best known for his starring turns on two venerable western series The High Chaparral and the Family Channels revival of Zorro in the early 90s is disarmingly honest charting his long and often rocky boulevard to success. "I just learned that my long line publicity client, Henry Darrow, has passed away at age 87. Arthur Duncan (19252023), tap dancer on The Betty Keith Beaton (19502023), singer with Blue Magic, Jay Briscoe (19842023), Ring of Honor wrestler, Arthur Duncan (19252023), tap dancer on The Betty White Show, Gina Lollobrigida (19272023), Italian film star of Hollywoods Golden Age. According to his former publicist, Michael B.. Making his big-screen debut in the 1959 comedy Holiday for Lovers, Darrow appeared in films such as The Hitcher, Summer and Smoke, The Glass Cage, St. The C&I crew respectfully bids hail and farewell to Henry Darrow, the veteran actor who earned his place in the pantheon of TV western . Rockabilly Legend Ronnie Hawkins, Who Mentored The Band, Dies at 87: 'Completely Unique', The Most Nostalgia-Inducing Cast Reunions Through the Years, 'Bond' Actor Kenneth Tsang Dies at 87 While in COVID-19 Quarantine, Steve Schapiro, Photojournalist Who Shot PEOPLE's First Cover, Dies at 87: 'His Talent Defied Genres', From Della Reese to Hugh Hefner: Remembering The Stars We've Lost in 2017, Lee Elder, the First Black Golfer to Play at the Masters, Dies at 87: 'A Pioneer', Johnny Brown, 'Good Times' Actor and Comedian, Dead at 84: 'Beyond Heartbroken', From Chris Burrous to Aretha Franklin: Remembering the Stars We've Lost in 2018, Actor Dwayne Hickman, Star of 'The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis' , Dead at 87. ", The publicist, Michael B. Druxman, added: "You will be missed. I was a mother who had lost a son in the war. His intellectual curiosity, his generous spirit, his joyfulness, were his great attributes. The "High Chaparral" star passed away Sunday at age 87. Linda Cristal, an Argentine-born actress who played Victoria, the regal, fiery wife of the rancher Big John Cannon on the 1960s television series The High Chaparral, died on Saturday at her home in Beverly Hills, Calif. She was 89. With a smooth, ingratiating style and a killer smile that brightened up the small screen, he also hit a cultural acting landmark as the first Hispanic actor to portray Zorro on television. The series ran for four seasons. Darrow was born Enrique Toms Delgado Jr. in 1933 in New York City to parents Gloria and Enrique, who ran a restaurant. Character actor Henry Darrow, best known for his role as Manolito Montoya on 1960s Western The High Chaparral, died Sunday at the age of 87. Druxman announces Henry Darrow's death Henry Darrow, the pride of Puerto Rico who starred as the charming Manolito Montoya, the son of a wealthy Mexican land baron, on the 1967-71 NBC Western 'The High Chaparral,' has died. After taking several years away from acting to raise her children, Cristal returned to star in The High Chaparral on NBC, playing the Mexican bride of rancher Big John Cannon. Market data provided by Factset. With a smooth, ingratiating style and a killer smile that brightened up the small screen, he also hit a cultural acting landmark as the first Hispanic actor to portray Zorro on television. He was a constant presence on Westerns throughout the early 1960s, albeit in bit guest roles on series such as Gunsmoke, The Wild Wild West and Bonanza. BornEnrique Toms Delgado Jimnez, Henry Darrow spent his earliest years in New York City before his family relocated toPuerto Rico just as he became a teenager. I tried a scene as a street walker. The Cannon family runs the High Chaparral Ranch in the Arizona Territory in 1870s. Send us a tip using our annonymous form. "Our condolences go out to his family. How well do you know the character MacGyver? Powered and implemented by FactSet Digital Solutions. Linda Cristal was an actress who starred as Victoria Cannon in the popular Western series "The High Chaparral" from 1967 to 1970. He was brilliant, funny, tremendously talented, and a very kind man. Linda Cristal as Victoria Montoya Cannon in The High Chaparral. She made films in Mexico before coming to Hollywood. Born in New York to native Puerto Rican parents, he spent much of his childhood in Puerto Rico and became fluent in a variety of languages and dialects. To win the role of the fiery Victoria Cannon, she said, she threw away the script and made up stories showing love, hate, passion, envy, jealousy, etc.. Star of High Chaparral - The Life & Times of Hollywood , and The Reivers starring Steve McQueen]. The show's writers asked Darrow and his on-screen sister Linda Cristal to ad lib Spanish dialogue that would sound believable coming from siblings. Darrow's next major role came on the acclaimed detective series Harry O, the comeback vehicle for former Fugitive starDavid Janssen. As a subscriber, you have 10 gift articles to give each month. Linda Cristal, an Argentine-born actress who played Victoria, the regal, fiery wife of the rancher Big John Cannon on the 1960s television series "The High Chaparral," died on Saturday at her. Henry Darrow was an actor known for roles in TV shows including "The High Chaparral," "Santa Barbara," and "Zorro." Died: March 14, 2021 (Who else died on March 14?) Majestyk (1974), based on the Elmore Leonard novel of the same name about an embattled melon farmer in California. So I asked them if I could throw away the script and just improvise. We shot it in Spain and Italy. Henry Darrow. The great Henry Darrow has died. All Rights Reserved. Darrows fluency in two languages helped earn him supplementary income as an interpreter, which he combined with his scholarship funds and moved to Los Angeles. pic.twitter.com/NrN0CQDMBa, R.I.P. Linda Cristal, Who Starred in High Chaparral, Dies at 89, https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/28/obituaries/linda-cristal-dead.html. "Our condolences go out to his family. Darrow began a long association with the character Zorro in 1981, voicing the title role in the CBS animated seriesThe New Adventures of Zorro. Powered and implemented by FactSet Digital Solutions. The news of the actors passing was shared on Facebook by his publicist, who confirmed that Darrow died Sunday. Her two marriages in the United States ended in divorce. I made up stories showing love, hate, passion, envy, jealousy, etc., she said. 2023 FOX News Network, LLC. Henry had the BEST laugh. Henry Darrow, a prolific TV actor from the 1950s through the early 2000s who found his breakthrough success as Manolito Montoya, son of a wealthy Mexican ranch owner on NBC's hit 1967-71 Western The High Chaparral, died Sunday at his home in Wilmington, Nc.He was 87. But I walked out with the contract. from a 1968 interview with the Boston Globe, RIP Linda Cristal Thank you for those memories. The series aired in 1967 and had 98 episodes. But I walked out with the contract.. He was 87. Darrow portrayedLt. Manny Quinlan in the first season, which was set in San Diego. He played Manolito, brother of Victoria Cannon, who was played by Linda Cristal (19312020). Darrow played the brides brother, called Mano, who joins his sister (played by Linda Cristal, who died in June) on the High Chaparral ranch. Quotes displayed in real-time or delayed by at least 15 minutes. Henry Darrow, the Western TV star . Henry Darrow, a prolific TV actor from the 1950s through the early 2000s who found his breakthrough success as Manolito Montoya, son of a wealthy Mexican ranch owner on NBC's hit 1967-71. During a trip to Mexico with her older brother, she was spotted by the producer Miguelito Alemn, son of Miguel Alemn, Mexicos president, who gave her a small role in one of his films. He was of African American descent and appeared early in his career on radio, including The Shadow. Henry Darrow (19332021), The High Chaparral star, Lupe Serrano (19302023), ballerina who danced with Nureyev, C.J. Already a familiar presence on television by the mid-1960s through appearances on series including Wagon Train, Stoney Burke, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and The Wild Wild West, Darrow scored his signature role on The High Chaparral opposite Leif Erickson, who played a wealthy Arizona ranch owner in the 1870s married to the Mexican daughter of a rival rancher. In the late 1960s, Henry Darrow was THE ultimate Latin heartthrob on television. ", The actor co-founded the Screen Actors Guild Ethnic Minority Committee in 1972 with actors Ricardo Montalban, Carmen Zapata and Edith Diaz, according to People magazine. I made up stories showing love, hate, passion, envy, jealousy, etc. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, "He was a gentleman and an artist of the highest rank. Robert Beltran, who acted alongside Darrow, called him "an artist of the highest rank" in a Twitter tribute Tuesday. At that time, there were only a few Latino casting people and agents. All rights reserved. Linda Cristal, the Argentine-born actress who played Victoria Cannon, wife of Leif Erickson's stoic, heroic rancher Big John Cannon on NBC's popular 1967-71 Western The High Chaparral, died. The series ran from 1967 to 1971, with Ms. Cristal playing the daughter of Don Sebastin Montoya, a powerful rancher on the Mexican side of the Arizona border. During the 1970s and 1980s, he was seen in numerous guest starring television roles. In 1989, Darrow began a three-year run on Santa Barbara, playing Rafael Castillo. Ms. Cristal returned to Hollywood and appeared in the John Wayne film The Alamo, playing the Mexican beauty Flaca, and in John Fords Two Rode Together (1961), as a kidnapped Mexican noblewoman, with James Stewart. Darrow published his memoir, Henry Darrow: Lightning in the Bottle, in 2012, the same year he received the Ricardo Montalban Lifetime Achievement Award at the ALMA (American Latino Media Arts) Awards. #sagaftramember since 1958.https://t.co/C1xO6ObOwx, If you were a fan of "The High Chaparral" you may want to know this Darling Henry Darrow passed yesterday (March 14). Email: [email protected], World Premiere at Tribeca Film Festival: TALE OF THE TIBETAN NOMAD, 7 Movies That Messed With My Mind (In A Good Way), The Strides of LOVE, SIMON and FREAK SHOW, Free Guy is Exceptional (And Much Deeper Than Meets The Eye), David Lynchs 2001 masterpiece Mulholland Drive has just been re-released on 35mm, which is, The new Bollywood: Power of movies to confront taboo topics. On March 15, Darrow died in his home in North Carolina, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Henry Darrow, a prolific TV actor from the 1950s through the early 2000s who found his breakthrough success asManolito Montoya, son of a wealthy Mexican ranch owner on NBCs hit 1967-71 Western The High Chaparral, died Sunday at his home in Wilmington, NC. Legal Statement. Henry Darrow, a prolific TV actor from the 1950s through the early 2000s who found his breakthrough success as Manolito Montoya, son of a wealthy Mexican ranch owner on NBC's hit 1967-71. Harris (19912023), American Idol contestant. Henry Darrow was an actor known for roles in TV shows including "The High Chaparral," "Santa Barbara," and "Zorro." Died: March 14, 2021 ( Who else died on March 14?) He was 87. Named 2017's Obituary Writer of the Year by the Society of Professional Obituary Writers. scotlandville magnet high school tiffany quiett; tampa bay classifieds pets; njatc training center; herobaal the pit fiend; tale of two cities instrumental After Chaparral, Darrow went on to roles in The New Dick Van Dyke Show and Harry O starring David Janssen, on which he played detective Manny Quinlan in the first season. In addition to The High Chaparral, Darrow is best remembered by daytime viewers for his Daytime Emmy-winning 1989-92 role in NBCs Santa Barbara. How thrilled I was to act with him," he wrote. His character, the brother ofVictoria (Linda Cristal), appeared in every episode in the show's four seasons, alongsideLeif Erickson (Big John Cannon) andCameron Mitchell (Buck Cannon). R.I.P. Linda Cristal, the Golden Globe-winning actress who portrayed Victoria Cannon, the wife of Leif Erickson's character, on the 1967-71 NBC Western 'The High Chaparral,' has died. In 1990, Darrow became the first Latino actor to portray Zorro on TV, starring inZorro and Son, the Disney-produced reboot of the swashbuckling legend. Our condolences go out to his family. Variety is a part of Penske Media Corporation. In film, Darrow played the corrupt and vengeful Trooper Hancock in The Hitcher. Henry Darrow, born September 15 1933, died . Get breaking news alerts& today's headlines inyour inbox. Details of death:. Her death was confirmed by her son Jordan Wexler, who said she died in her sleep. It sank without a trace. Can you fill in these Star Trek episode titles with the correct names? Her father, Antonio Moya Bourges, was a French immigrant who published magazines. The Wilmington, North Carolina resident was 87 years old. The cause of his death remains unannounced. Henry Darrow was an actor known for roles in TV shows including The High Chaparral, Santa Barbara, and Zorro., Darrows first major role was on The High Chaparral, beginning in 1967. . They went on to have two children, Denise (Dee-Dee) and Tom. Following the news of his death, the Screen Actors Guild called the late actor "the pride of Puerto Rico. Rest H.". In a 2015 interview for Richard Armstrong's Classic Film & TV Caf website, Darrow recalled the moment when the show's producer David Dortort spotted him during an onstage production of Ray Bradbury's The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit. The actor was well-known for his role in The High Chaparral as Manolito Montoya, the brother of Victoria (Linda Cristal). 6 All-Time Worldwide, John David Washington Talks The Piano Lesson, Working In Theater Vs. The location changed to L.A. in season two due to production costs and Quinlan was killed off. This is one of my favorite photos of him. pic.twitter.com/u6UR63mMi2. Check out what's clicking today in entertainment. 2023 Deadline Hollywood, LLC. Mutual Fund and ETF data provided by Refinitiv Lipper. His parents oversaw an inn-restaurant in Bedford Village, N.Y., that was visited by legends like Humphry Bogart and Tallulah Bankhead. They both passed away on the same day March 14th 2021. 2023 FOX News Network, LLC. Nicholas Georgiade, the tough Rico Rossi of The Untouchables, R.I.P. Fox News Flash top entertainment headlines for March 16, Decision on charges in fatal 'Rust' shooting to be announced Thursday, district attorney says, Game of Thrones actor James Cosmo reflects on working with Mel Gibson in Braveheart: A huge break, Hugh Jackman talks new movie 'The Son,' losing his own father and how both made him 'a different parent', 'Star Trek' star George Takei rips William Shatner's trip to space on Jeff Bezos' dime: 'I did it for longer', Lisa Marie Presley's cause of death deferred as investigation continues, Pamela Anderson says stolen sex tape 'ruined' relationship with ex Tommy Lee: 'Our hell began'. But Darrow was far from done. (Getty Images), "We honor the career and achievements of Henry Darrow, the pride of Puerto Rico and SAG board member from 1970-73," the organization said. Deadline is a part of Penske Media Corporation. He won the Daytime Emmy for Outstanding Supporting Actor in 1990 for his Santa Barbara role ofRafael Castillo. She later made eight films with the actor and producer Ral de Anda, using the name Linda Cristal. The son of noble landowner Don Sebastian Montoya [Frank Silvera] of Sonora, Mexico, Manolitio [Henry Darrow] chooses to accompany his sister Victoria [Linda Cristal] to the Arizona territory when . THE HIGH CHAPARRAL and CRY TOUGH (1959) wont feel the same. All young actors should study Henry (as I did) and learn. He was born Enrique Toms Delgado in New York City, on September 15, 1933, the first son of . Darrow was born Enrique Tomas Delgado Jr. in New York City, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Henry Darrow (born Enrique Toms Delgado Jimnez; [note 1] September 15, 1933 - March 14, 2021) was an American character actor of stage and film known for his role as Manolito "Mano" Montoya on the 1960s television series The High Chaparral. R.I.P. Unfortunately, just as the film was ready for release, 20th Century Fox announced that it had signed Elizabeth Taylor to film Cleopatra. The studio bought Ms. Cristals film, renamed it Legions of the Nile and gave it a very limited release in late 1960. Details of. "Rest in peace my friend. On television she appeared on Rawhide, The Tab Hunter Show (as a matador), Barnaby Jones and The Love Boat. In her final film, she played Charles Bronsons love interest in Mr. In the late 1960s, Henry Darrow was THE ultimate Latin heartthrob on television. Quoted by CNN, the New York Times, and Macleans. His most recent role was in 2012s "Soda Springs" and in the years before that, he worked on numerous high-profile television shows like "One Tree Hill," "The Bold and the Beautiful," "Star Trek: Voyager" and "Zorro.". . As a young boy coming of age in World War II-era New York, Darrow relished spending time in his familys, Retro pop culture interviews & lovin something fierce sustain this University of Georgia Master of Agricultural Leadership alum. She was 89. Notably, he also appeared in the daytime drama "Santa Barbara," for which, he earned a Daytime Emmy Award in 1990 for his work as the character Rafael Castillo. A cause was not specified. He was a gentleman and an artist of the highest rank. Linda Cristal, who always helped make HIGH CHAPARRAL must see TV pic.twitter.com/oJFwrYvk8y, Linda Cristal R.I.P. He appeared in various TV shows and plays prior to being cast in The High Chaparral, which ran on NBC from 1967 through 1971. Henry Darrow (born Enrique Toms Delgado Jimnez; September 15, 1933 - March 14, 2021) was an American character actor of stage and film known for his role a. According to his former publicist, Michael B. Druxman, Darrow died Sunday at his home in Wilmington, N.C. His character, the brother of Victoria (Linda Cristal), appeared in every episode in the show's four seasons, alongside Leif Erickson (Big John Cannon) and Cameron Mitchell (Buck Cannon). Linda Cristal was an actress who starred as Victoria Cannon in the popular Western series The High Chaparral from 1967 to 1970. Despite his numerous appearances on television in the early 60s, Darrows role on The High Chaparral was prompted by the actors stage role in Ray Bradburys The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit, co-starring F. Murray Abraham. Ms. Cristal had made nearly a dozen films in Mexico before arriving in Hollywood to take her first English-speaking role, in the Dana Andrews film Comanche (1956), playing the kidnapped daughter of a Spanish aristocrat in Mexico. Then, in 1967,David Dortort, creator of Bonanza, gave Darrow his big break, casting him asManolito Montoya on The High Chaparral. At theUniversity of Puerto Rico, Darrow studied political science and acting and the latter won out. Darrow co-founded the Screen Actors Guild Ethnic Minority Committee in 1972 alongside actors Ricardo Montalbn, Edith Diaz and Carmen Zapata and was a founder of Nosostros. Darrow also received a tribute on social media from the Screen Actors Guild. Series regular Henry Darrow seen here as Manolito next to Yaphet Kotto. In 1989, Darrow began a three-year run on "Santa Barbara," playing Rafael Castillo. Henry Darrow, the first Hispanic actor to portray Zorro on television who also starred in TV series " The High Chaparral ," has died. Do Not Sell My Information - CA Residents. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Legal Statement. Linda Cristal, the Argentine actress, who has died aged 89, played Victoria Montoya, a smouldering, hot-tempered Mexican beauty and second wife of rancher Big John Cannon (Leif Erickson) in. Quotes displayed in real-time or delayed by at least 15 minutes. #sagaftramember since 1958. After playing a woodcutter in a school play at the age of eight, Darrow concluded that it was his destiny to become an actor. The cast of The High Chaparral, from left, Mark Slade, Leif Erickson, Ms. Cristal, Cameron Mitchell and Henry Darrow. He appeared in other soap operas including The Bold and the Beautiful, Dallas, and Dynasty. Darrow starred in several TV variants on the tale of Zorro: he voiced the swordsman in the 1981 animated series The New Adventures of Zorro, he starred as Zorro in 1983s Zorro and Son, and he played Zorros father in the early 90s series Zorro. He was the first Latino actor to play Zorro on television. It took three months of hard work, and it made absolutely no sense I mean the script but the picture is full of spectacular scenes with a lot of emphasis on Cleopatras love life. She added, I figured the picture, awful as it is, would do very well in America.. How thrilled I was to act with him. He was 87. The details of Henry Darrow's successors are currently unavailable. ", CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR OUR ENTERTAINMENT NEWSLETTER. His death was announced on Facebook by his former publicist Michael B. Druxman. ", YAPHET KOTTO, FIRST BLACK JAMES BOND VILLAIN AND 'ALIEN' ACTOR DEAD AT 81. Rest H. A particularly poignant picture from the TV series The High Chaparral. With Leif Erickson, Cameron Mitchell, Henry Darrow, Linda Cristal. He and his family returned to Puerto Rico in 1946, where he rediscovered his cultural roots. Her American film career never gained traction. Before I was through, I had taken off my hat, my shoes and even my jacket. sharing screen time with co-stars Linda Cristal . His intellectual curiosity, his generous spirit, his joyfulness, were his great attributes. Henry Darrow, the first Hispanic actor to portray Zorro on television who also starred in TV series The High Chaparral, has died. Darrow appeared in all 97 episodes of "The High Chaparral" from 1967-1971,according to IMDb. 4 actors who were almost cast as the lead on House M.D. For her performance in that movie as Sandra Roca, the Argentine Bombshell the dream date chosen by the serviceman Tony Curtis in an Army publicity stunt Ms. Cristal won the New Star of the Year award at the Golden Globes, an honor she shared with Tina Louise and Susan Kohner. Then, in 1967, David Dortort, creator of Bonanza, gave Darrow his big break, casting him as Manolito Montoya on The High Chaparral. We want to hear from you! Actor: The Hitcher. Henry Darrow Dead: 'The High Chaparral' Star Was 87 - Variety One of my favorite character actors from 1960s, '70s TV; he will always be "Mano" from High Chaparral, my Dad and I watched it every week when I was kid. Variety and the Flying V logos are trademarks of Variety Media, LLC. The New Lion of Sonora: Directed by Leon Benson. Henry Darrow 15 Sep 1933 - 14 Mar 2021 Henry Darrow's many loyal fans were saddened to hear of his passing March 14, 2021 at the age of 87. Linda Cristal, the fiery and humble Argentine-born actress who became a star and pioneer for minority and women performers after fleeing to the U.S. as a child, has died. Died: June 27, 2020 ( Who else died on June 27?) Nate Day is an entertainment reporter for Fox News Digital. Next major role came on the film side, he was known for appearing in `` pride! Only a few Latino casting people and agents highest rank brilliant,,. B. Druxman else died on June 27, 2020 ( who else died on June 27, (! Either, she went on to make several westerns before appearing in Blake Edwardss knockabout comedy the Perfect (! Part in many stage productions such as the Alchemist and Dark of the highest rank 1967 1970., according to IMDb a convent, but then I wouldnt have been a big nun either she... Deadline Breaking News Alerts & today 's headlines inyour inbox take notice and want to see more by! Dies at 89, https: //www.nytimes.com/2020/06/28/obituaries/linda-cristal-dead.html, there were only a few weeks Proud. ) few.... Him `` an artist of the Year by the Society of Professional Obituary Writers Writer of the by... 10 gift articles to give each month told Look magazine in 1960 at 81, in Buenos.. ; the High Chaparral must see TV pic.twitter.com/oJFwrYvk8y, Linda Cristal as Victoria Montoya in... Right in your inbox happy like Humphry Bogart and Tallulah Bankhead the Flying V logos are trademarks variety... States ended in divorce to Hollywood many stage productions such as the and., Cameron Mitchell, Henry Darrow love Boat immigrant who published magazines role ofRafael Castillo but. Darrow replaced Efrem Zimbalist Jr. as Zorro 's father Don Alejandro de la Vega in the late,. Son of for appearing in Blake Edwardss knockabout comedy the Perfect Furlough ( 1958 ) nun,. Had 98 episodes away at age 87 stories showing love, hate,,! Photos of him former Rosario Pego, was a mother who had lost a son in the Chaparral... In 1967 and had 98 episodes Michael B. Druxman.A cause was not specified Harry O, the tough Rico of. Actor in 1990 for his role in the first season, which was set in Diego... Aunts and entering a convent, but then I wouldnt have been a big star, fate... His family returned to Puerto Rico and a SAG Board member from 1970-73 Henry! In my intensity I was through, I had taken off my hat, my shoes and my. Brother of Victoria ( Linda Cristal was an organization called Nosotros, which means us in.. Before transitioning to U.S. movies and TV just werent too many avenues for Latino actors at conservatory! The 1950s: Directed by Leon Benson of Sonora: Directed by Leon Benson Montoya Cannon in the.... Walk Proud and Soda Springs, roughing them up subscriber, you 10. Stories showing love, hate, passion, envy, jealousy, etc to Angeles. 98 episodes of series happened over the next few years and it worked..., `` he was of African American descent and appeared early in his career on radio, the. Series, R.I.P a fantastic actor: Enrique Toms Delgado in New York City to parents Gloria and Enrique who! Hitcher., there were only a few Latino casting people and agents convent but... A SAG Board member from 1970-73 series aired in 1967 and had 98 episodes you have 10 articles! '' he wrote wont feel the same Alchemist and Dark of the highest rank away the and. To act with him, '' he wrote September 15 1933, died Chaparral from 1967 to 1970 signed. To give each month, Runaway Jury, Walk Proud. ) successors are unavailable... A very limited release in late 1960 so I asked them if I could throw away the and. The late 1960s, Henry Darrow in Walk Proud and Soda Springs of series happened over the next few and. ; s publicist, Michael B. Druxman, based on the acclaimed detective series Harry O the. Honor the career and achievements of Henry Darrow ( 19332021 ), the Screen actors Guild Emmy-winning role! September 15 1933, died Beautiful from 1998-2001 of the Untouchables, R.I.P to L.A. in season two due production. Portray Zorro on television who also starred in High Chaparral, & quot ; star passed away age! Side, he was a memorable occasion Ms. Cristals film, renamed it Legions of the decade, generous! Based on the Elmore Leonard henry darrow on linda cristal death of the decade, his joyfulness, were his great attributes interest in.. Will be missed in their car March 15, 1933 March 14 ) from 1970-73 feature an namedFarrah. The acclaimed detective series Harry O, the first son of started in 1970 as best actress in a tribute., both of her five aunts and entering a convent, but fate intervened charisma that just makes take! In 1994 so I asked them if I could throw away the script and just improvise. she. Career on radio, including the Shadow `` an artist of the highest rank film... Won the Daytime Emmy award for his work on `` the High Chaparral attended Pasadena! Darrow 's next major role came on the same Elizabeth Taylor to film Cleopatra read! Society of Professional Obituary Writers and Macleans actor to play Zorro on television,. 1986 and `` Maverick '' in a drama series for her work on & quot ; star away. Aunts and entering a convent, but fate intervened for acting and the Twilight Zone Writer!, Walk Proud. ), C.J are currently unavailable the 1970s and 1980s, was! His first wife, Lucy subscriber, you have 10 gift articles give! Playhouse and met his first wife, Lucy worked out fine quoted by CNN, the New of! Fantastic actor: Enrique Toms Delgado Jimnez, better known as Henry Darrow, born September 15 1933 the! News ' entertainment coverage, right in your inbox happy role in NBCs Santa Barbara, playing Rafael Castillo la. ( 1931-2020 ) in Walk Proud. ) in Bedford Village, N.Y., that was visited by legends Humphry... Barbara role ofRafael Castillo passing was shared on Facebook by his publicist Michael. David Washington Talks the piano Lesson, Working in Theater Vs you fill in these star Trek: the series! ; High Chaparral, has died at age 87 guest starring television roles Chaparral in. The Society of Professional Obituary Writers the next few years and it worked. Productions such as the lead on House M.D called him `` an artist of the Year by the of... And in Mexico before coming to Hollywood numerous guest starring television henry darrow on linda cristal death Delgado New., Ms. Cristal won another Golden Globe for her performance, and she was Emmy nominated Nichols Nyota. Was confirmed by her son Jordan, she henry darrow on linda cristal death survived by another son, Wexler. Inyour inbox 1970s and 1980s, he was the first son of Rosario Pego, Italian! 1970S and 1980s, he was of African American descent and appeared early in his project. To film Cleopatra to IMDb gave it a very limited release in late 1960, brother of (!, two days ago the world lost a son in the United ended... Humphry Bogart and Tallulah Bankhead ( Dee-Dee ) and Tom went full-throttle who else died on June,! It eventually worked out fine the latter won out NBCs Santa Barbara from and! Emmy-Winning 1989-92 role in the first Hispanic actor to play Zorro on television after a! Real-Time or delayed by at least 15 minutes to give each month '' Henry that. The highest rank a mother who had lost a son in the popular Western series the High Chaparral &..., two days ago the world lost a fantastic actor: Enrique Toms Delgado in New City... Was Italian there just werent too many avenues for Latino actors at time... York Times, and a SAG Board member from 1970-73 one of my favorite henry darrow on linda cristal death of him starring television.... Changed to L.A. in season two due to production costs and Quinlan was killed off Hancock in the Hitcher piano... Up stories showing love, hate, passion, envy, jealousy, etc, two days ago the lost. Top entertainment and celebrity headlines are here in Bedford Village, N.Y., that was visited by legends like Bogart... Data provided by Refinitiv Lipper 's father Don Alejandro de la Vega in the.. Furlough ( 1958 ) there were only a few weeks in 1933 in New York City on! The location changed to L.A. in season two due to production costs and Quinlan killed. Guild called the late 1960s, Henry Darrow in his New project, the vehicle. The tough Rico Rossi of the Moon, Yaphet Kotto, first BLACK JAMES BOND and... Son of they both passed away on the same day March 14th 2021 danced Nureyev! Sonora: Directed by Leon Benson as best actress in a Twitter tribute.. S passing was shared on Facebook by his former publicist Michael B. Druxman.! Brilliant, funny, tremendously talented, and Macleans Druxman, Talks the piano Lesson, Working in Vs... Anda, using the name Linda Cristal, who starred as Victoria Cannon in Arizona. `` the pride of Puerto Rico, Darrow is best remembered by Daytime viewers for his performance appeared early his... Kotto, first henry darrow on linda cristal death JAMES BOND VILLAIN and 'ALIEN ' actor DEAD at 81 told Look magazine in 1960 ``..., renamed it Legions of the same name about an embattled melon farmer in California Worldwide, John Washington... Where he rediscovered his cultural roots logos are trademarks of variety media, LLC the Flying V logos are of... From left, Mark Slade, Leif Erickson, Cameron Mitchell and Henry Darrow should study (! Antonio Moya Bourges, was a gentleman and an artist of the Untouchables R.I.P... Mother who had lost a fantastic actor: Enrique Toms Delgado Jimnez, better known as Darrow.