Learn more here. As Genuine Mahogany is now listed in CITES, Sapele Mahogany is used as a replacement. luster. I had purchased BR-111 wood flooring in 2009 in 3/4 inch exotic Brazilian Cherry solid. To Wrap Up, Here Are The 3 Key Takeaways From This Post, Edge Grain vs Face Grain Cutting Boards (Which Is Which?). I absolutely love it to sawdust and use it for all my decorative pieces. After reducing the availability of South American Mahogany, Sapele became a wood of choice for various woodworking projects that demand high-quality and visually appealing wood. OK both meters were wrong. Tonally, I think its going to be more in line with ash. Just my thoughts. Copyright 2023 Woodworkers Source | Home | Site Map, See The Winners Top 3 In The Kitchen Woodworking Projects. I would love to keep the finish food safe, but the three or four coats of beeswax I applied is faded and getting dull. SealCoat in particular dries exceptionally fast, which means you can sand it as quick as 10 minutes after applying it, working up 3 or 4 coats between pulling in the driveway after work and sitting down for dinner. Color tends to darken with age. If it were me, I would apply a grain filler to the wood before final finishing, especially for a table top, but thats just my aesthetic preference. of 20% of the population in the past three generations. Protect your cutting board from scratches by using a sharp knife or metal ruler when chopping food on it. Instead, use round-ended knives or carving forks to minimize damage done to the sapele wood. That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut What is the final look you are going for here? However, these flowers grow only when the tree is leafless. Thats because not only is Sapele wood much harder and tougher than Mahogany, it is more affordable too. When you wet the (well sanded) sapele with mineral spirits you will see the color you will get if you just oil varnish the table. Epoxy putty is just as easy to use and will shape and sand beautifully. Group Build, English Cutter Half Hull P.o.B. As woodworkers, we all are curious to know the pros and cons of Sapele wood. diffused), across its growth rings. Keep in mind that not all sapele boards are created equal; some may be too heavy or too thin to use as a cutting board. I am having a guitar made with Waterfall Sapele X 87? Thats certainly the case with ribbon stripe sapele, too. 5 out of 5 stars (433) The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo, http://oem.sherwin-williams.com/mx/lers_dyes_glazes_stains/#msds-and-data-sheets. Vertically it is not too problematic to keep a finish on. The PSI pin meter showed less than 6%, measured both on the face of the board and the freshly cut end grain. Sapele Wood, Glowforge Ready, 6 Pack, 1/4th inch, 12"x19." Premium Grade A1, Two Sided, MDF Core, unfinished ad vertisement by CraftClosetSupply Ad vertisement from shop CraftClosetSupply CraftClosetSupply From shop CraftClosetSupply. (I have five 1x6x24 blanks of the stuff) However, I use all natural beeswax to seal my completed products by heating it (and the wood to reduce warping or splitting) and boiling the instrument in the wax. Hint: Special offers available for Facebook fans, Our goal at Flooring.org is to be your #1 source for ALL things flooring on the internet. Front face is an A grade that is a smooth sanded and patch-free clear face. Chris you cal lay out the cabinet doors in brigght light (not direct sunlight though) and they probbley will even out. It is used for both veneers and lumber and is highly prized when figured. typical stock (4/4 or 5/4, up to about 8" wide) range from $6-$8 per board They have just about everything else You must log in or register to reply here. Besides the common ribbon pattern seen on quartersawn boards, Sapele is also known for a wide variety of other figured grain patterns, such as: pommele, quilted, mottled, wavy, beeswing, and fiddleback. In all honesty, when I read that description the first thing that pops into my mind is Why even spend the cash on Sapele? Copyright 20082023 Eric Meier. Its simple to pull it off. You can see how intense the contrast gets with this recipe. Luthiers use it to make guitars and ukeleles. VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. Depending on money, time and experience level with finishing there are many different products that can be brushed or rolled on with UV protection. tearout when you run it one way, running it the opposite direction usually Some of their other products have not been as advertised, but I put this product on the soles and the bunk faces and bulkheads and after a couple hundred days of use have been very impressed. I had sapele countertops installed a few months ago. If you do want to change the color, I'd suggest a dye instead of a stain. Today, it is ranked on IUCN Red List as a vulnerable speciesdue to the loss of more than 20% of the tree population over the past three generations of growth. Odor - Odorless while finished. I can't imagine trying to fill sapele grain with shellac. You will not be disappointed. In this collection we offer Prefinished Sapele hardwood flooring. VAT surface repair, treatment & preparation Wood Filler is a water based paste for repairing minor surface defects on all types of wood. I made a dining table with a sapele top and finished the tabletop with three coats of boiled linseed oil on the top, bottom, and sides, and 10 coats of polyurethane on the top with 2 coats on the bottom and sides. stock, and because the lumber is harvested from large trees, you can often find You don't want to change the color, you want to adjust it. I did a blog post on this a while back. I have recently heard that the euro mills that kiln dry most of our U.S. wood only dry to 12% Has anyone heard of this being true, or should I expect to see 9-10% wood from my supplier? First wood I had problem gluing. There are many different ways to finish Juniper wood, but the most common is a clear lacquer. Large door panel 40? Group Build, English Cutter Half Hull P.o.B. Please help me out with this, We use it often for doors, door frames, mouldings. Consider using a space heater to bring the room up to temp before application. decline in its natural range and exploitation. Sapele is a member of the same family as Mahogany and frequently is a substitute. One of the things we look for in cutting board wood, is where it lies along the Janka Hardness Scale. Sapele wood defined Sapele wood is a type of hardwood with amazing qualities, One of these is its interlocking grain patterns made from fiber cells that stretch from the lowest points in the roots to the topmost part of the tree. Juts did 8 coats on a plank of Sapele. Hi Bud ; If your gaps are hairline, you don't need too much wood sandings therefore why not using the coffee blender of your wife for making those wood sandings simply wait she's not @ home when experimenting the blender ! Its a wood stabilizer and protects against UV. It is commonly available in 4/4 But, if it has a Janka rating of more than . I knew it was going to be absolutely beautiful. And those pores are evenly dispersed, (i.e. Another thing to keep in mind when choosing a sapele wood cutting board is the finish. The first coat was a 4-1 mix of dried amber lac shells and alcohol which helped to seal and close the pores. You can select from solid hardwood flooring or engineered hardwood in up to eight species, including red oak, white oak, hickory maple, and more. If you plan on using your board frequently, it might be worth investing in a finished product. Is the Sapele cracked or otherwise deformed? Actually Sapele is the best new wood option for repair, restoration or fabrication of traditional Double Hung Sash Windows. This wood is finished with a Natural Satin Gloss infused with Aluminium Oxide to create a scratch resistant surface. Looks great. He is searching for ideas to salvage his work. Experiment with PVA wood glue and sawdust. The grain on a sapele board should run parallel to the cutting edge of the blade, as opposed to the typical saw-tooth pattern found on other woods. As much as it is possible I would try shaping out finishing wood complete pieces and fitting them into the gaps. Here is where Sapele can be most commonly found today: 2023 - Wood Assistant | Privacy Policy | Contact, Average Dried Weight - 42 lbs/ft3 (670 kg/m3), Specific Gravity (Basic, 12% MC) - .50, .67, Crushing Strength - 8,750 lbf/in2 (60.4 MPa), Modulus of Rupture - 15,930 lbf/in2 (109.9 MPa), Elastic Modulus - 1,746,000 lbf/in2 (12.04 GPa), Shrinkage: Radial - 4.8%, Tangential: 7.2%, Volumetric: 12.8%, T/R Ratio: You see, wood types that have large open pores, (such as Red Oak), are fairly tricky to keep clean of food bits. If I remember correctly, danish oil is linseed-based, so I think it may serve to accelerate the patina of the wood a bit if thats something you would want. And the stronger the wood, the harder and more impact-resistant it is. I am about to start an interesting sofa table built with quartersawn sapele. The stain/varnish applied to your sapele may be blistering because it was never treated with a stripper prior to applying the stain. -Or- you could seal with lemon yellow/orange shellac (to pop the grain), then fill, then topcoat with varnish. Unfinished Engineered European Oak Flooring, Brazilian Redwood / Massaranduba Flooring, Prefinished European Oak Flooring - Engineered, Prefinished Brazilian Cherry Flooring - Engineered, Prefinished Brazilian Walnut Flooring - Engineered, Prefinished Hickory Flooring - Engineered, Unfinished Solid Brazilian Teak Herringbone, Unfinished Solid Brazilian Cherry Herringbone, Unfinished Solid Santos Mahogany Herringbone, Unfinished Engineered Herringbone Flooring, Unfinished Engineered White Oak Herringbone Flooring, Unfinished Engineered Red Oak Herringbone Flooring, Unfinished Engineered Walnut Herringbone Flooring, Unfinished Engineered Hickory Herringbone Flooring, Unfinished Engineered Brazilian Cherry Herringbone Flooring, Unfinished Engineered Brazilian Teak Herringbone Flooring, Unfinished Engineered Santos Mahogany Herringbone Flooring, Unfinished Engineered Sapele Herringbone Flooring, Prefinished Sapele Transition Strips & Moldings. However, there are a few things to keep in mind when choosing a sapele board as your new cutting board. What does it sound like. I am think of a few coats of danish oil, then finishing off with solvent-based polyurethane. So how do you make the ribbon stripe figure look its best? I prefer spar urethane cut fifty percent with solvent brushed on for the first coat and wiped across the grain. Add another coat of oil and rub with wool again. Also, the temperature for application varies slightly between products, I try not to apply anything other than maybe shellac under 50 degrees. Sapele is a (confusing) type of wood. 8 hours after they were delivered the job was finished. If youre looking for a cutting board that is both beautiful and durable, then sapele wood is a great option. Shop from anywhere Store pick up Benefit from our loyalty program unit size help me estimate 1K5 400GR quantity Add to cart description The next and final coats were rubbed in using rotten stone powder and olive oil. knives and light passes can help. Another reason why sapele is a good choice for cutting boards is that it doesnt stain easily. I just made a cutting board with some sapele offcut I got for free! best boards and make the most of them. And Sapele wood which is sourced from forests across West Africa is no exception. One of the most common scenarios for Sapele is indoors, windows, floor, and paneling. if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[336,280],'thewoodworkplace_com-mobile-leaderboard-2','ezslot_11',164,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-thewoodworkplace_com-mobile-leaderboard-2-0');But, wood types that fall within this limited Janka rating range, make for optimal chopping block material. Although sapele wood can be expensive, its worth the investment if youre looking for a quality cutting board. accept that youll have some tearout no matter which way you cut. If youre looking for a traditional-style cutting board, then choose a sapele board with a straight grain pattern. In this case, its spray lacquer. Ive just made some pieces out of Sapele and after about 7 coatings of Tung oil, the finish is so deep and luxurious, very reminiscent of mahogany. I did this Sapele cabinet a few years back. It shattered the lower point of my RG shaped body. You will not find a single well respected "Fine Woodworker" that uses stain. Sapele Wood Should Be Plenty Tough Enough To Become A Cutting Board, Sapele Is Just About Tough Enough For The Chopping Block. And How Do You Work Out How Tough Wood Is? It is still readily available for purchase, but its price has already started to climb regularly. Common Uses: Veneer, plywood, furniture, cabinetry, flooring, boatbuilding, musical instruments, turned objects, and other small wooden specialty items. Sapele originates from West Africa, and it can be most easily found in countries such as Tanzania, Nigeria, and Ghana, where the individual trees can grow up to an impressive height of 45 meters in the air (with some rare examples going up to 60 meters), with the trunk diameter that can almost reach 2 meters (6 feet). Africa that is commonly referred to as aboudikro. Im trying to get into more exotic type woods, like this African Sapele, over my standard maples and oaks. 2). If that color isn't exactly what you want you need to adjust from there. Pain in the butt to stain due to grain going in every direction and density variation in the same piece. Bow Woods (from a mathematical perspective), Four Common Finishing Mistakes (and how to avoid them). Thx again Guy, We made front doors out of this wood! 3). DO NOT go buy a stain that is the color you want. Sapele wood makes for a great alternative to Genuine Mahogany. It is commonly used as a substitute for Genuine Mahogany also belonging to the Meliaceae family and it, too, is considered moderately durable and stable. Odies Oil, plant based, non toxic, food safe, resists water and stains. Fortunately, you can apply any good, hard finish on top of these oils once theyre drygetting the best of both worlds, beauty and protection. if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[336,280],'thewoodworkplace_com-leader-4','ezslot_9',154,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-thewoodworkplace_com-leader-4-0');Sapele wood is clearly strong enough to absorb chopping blows. interlocked grain tear-outs during cutting. Currently, it is popular among woodwork to make musical instruments, furniture, floorings, plywood wood carvings, and many other woodworking projects. I applied the oil to the bottom first, then turned the tabletop over and coated the top. Whether masking small or large project defects, FAMOWOOD can be used inside or outside, making it ideal for any custom project. But polyurethane or another varnish will work too. experiencing large exploitation and decline in the natural growing range. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Every educated homeowner knows that hardwood flooring adds value to the home. Is Sycamore Good Enough For Cutting Boards? OKBut What Is The Best Kind Of Wood For A Cutting Board? Sapele is known by another name Sapele or Sapelli or Sapele mahogany . The name sapele comes from that of the city of Sapele in Nigeria, where there is a preponderance of the tree.African Timber and Plywood (AT&P), a division of the United Africa Company, had a factory at this location where the wood, along with Triplochiton scleroxylon, Obeche, mahogany, and Khaya was processed into timber which was then exported from the Port of Sapele worldwide. This African species had many similarities with more costly Genuine Mahogany, making it perfect substitution for its numerous exterior and interior applications. My only reason is that I used the polyurethane on beech before, which look nice and also quite tough for everyday use in the kitchen. Add to quote Item . When choosing a sapele board, make sure the dimensions are appropriate for your kitchen and the knives you plan to use with it. Is Chipboard A Safe Alternative To Wood For A Rabbits Hutch? Sapele boards are usually harder than other types of wood, which means that they will not dull quickly when used for cutting. X 5/4. SealCoat also sands smooth with just a couple of easy strokes, and the combination of quick-drying and fast-sanding helps you get to a baby-bottom smooth surface rather quickly. Is MDF Safe To Use For Your Hamsters Home. Stains tend to obscure the grain which would seem a shame on sapele. I've always used a grain filler on my African Mahogany projects but the grain on the Sapele that I currently working with is much more dense (I think that its quartersawn). Fast dry time: FAMOWOOD dries in www.wtstexas.com Bud-J E Its sold both in lumber and veneer form. Oils will soak in better and give a harder surface. sapelepronounced sah-PELL-ay(Entandrophragma cylindricium) stands out from Didnt expect it to require so much maintenance. if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[336,280],'thewoodworkplace_com-large-mobile-banner-1','ezslot_4',150,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-thewoodworkplace_com-large-mobile-banner-1-0');Worse still, they could increase the risk of raw food cross-contamination. General Motors uses sapele for the interior trim in Cadillacs. I am just about to make a kitchen dinning table with Sapele. We dont use glue on the joinery we use hardwood square pegs. Live Chat: Click Here Good sapele is easy to find. These boards are made to look like animals, fruits, or vegetables. Plus, choose from a wide color palette with different finishes ranging from . It is a dense and strong wood, which makes it perfect for use in kitchens where knives and other sharp objects are likely to be used. And once that happens, this can make it all too easy for harmful bacteria to grow on your cutting board. The durability and weather-resistant properties make it an excellent choice for outdoor furniture and building boats. So the question is, would you all fill the grain or leave it open; and if filling it, what would you use. Hardwood Flooring Made in the USA. Sapele (also known as Entandrophragma cylindricum) shares the same botanical family as the famed American and African Mahogany, making it a very close match in both visual appeal, wood processing, and working characteristics. but not sure how it may turn out for Sapele. But wait, make sure you check out our Specials page often We're always adding new items and there are some incredible deals there for you smart flooring shoppers ;). I was trying to find a matching one on Google. Sapele is a beautiful hardwood in its own right, Moderate insect/borer resistance. Is the SW filler you use SHER-WOOD natural filler? Comments: Sapele is a commonly exported and economically important African wood species. Once the sealer has dried, use an oil stain, the shade you choose depends on the result youre after. I had some problems routing the outline. Before setting the piece in its permanent outdoor location, three coats of tung oil (Waterlox Marine Sealer) were applied. Since the days of Thomas Chippendale, woodworkers have I built this elliptical shaped end table from Sapele woodthen put a French polish on it. be more difficult because of its rowed grain. Is the butcher block put together with an exterior glue? Once the oil dries, usually after8 hours, apply a couple of coats of sanding sealer, level them with fine grit sand paper or finishing pads to get to a smooth surface, then spray 2 or 3 coats of lacquer. discoloration. Group Build, https://www.monsieurmaquettes.com/54-planches-et-baguettes-bois. Sapele wood is a hardwood that is very popular for cutting boards because of its durability and resistance to moisture. The packaging is real good and am very impressed with the care taken Flooring.org could not have been easier or nicer to work with. It is occasionally used as a substitute for Genuine Mahogany, and is sometimes referred to as Sapele Mahogany.Technically, the two genera that are commonly associated with mahogany areSwieteniaandKhaya, while Sapele is in the Entandrophragma genus, but all three are included in the broaderMeliaceae family, so comparisons to true mahogany may not be too far fetched. Now you can buy it for your hardwood floor. This is because screws, Read More Is Wood Glue Stronger Than Screws?Continue, Polishing a table saw top is a necessary step if you want your machine to look its best. on the direction that minimizes the damage. this is a BEAUTIFUL wood! These interlocked grain patterns can not only cause various issues during woodworking but also impact the visual appearance with the presence of ribbon stripes and many other dramatic figures on quartered sawn lumber and veneer. During growth, these cells rotate in one way and can often suddenly switch the direction of rotation once or several times. We've compiled the top 10 reasons why you should choose hardwood flooring for your next floor purchase. Sapele is a versatile and beautiful wood that can take many kinds of finish. If you are looking for a material that is both strong and beautiful, then sapele wood is a great option. Sapele Wood Grade/Brand: Thickness: Clear. The timbers are standing on end and were glued and mechanically fastened in an interlocking pattern. Then I repeated this process with the polyurethane,Read more , Hats off to your patience and love to the wood and table you are making. In woodworking and cutting, these same interlocked grain patterns can cause severe tear-outs. Good advice above. I always use a shellac sanding sealer first, light sand with or 0000 steel wool or 320 paper then apply Bri- wax ( name brand ). I have some gaps that need filling and was wondering what filler can blend well. Supplies of Sapele were plentiful, but in recent years after increased exploitation caused by the lockdown on Mahogany trading, even Sapele is starting to get vulnerable. The oil-stained table looks blotchy and cheap, different dark spots move depending on a viewing angle. Wipe it onto the surface, wait 30 minutes then wipe off the oil. Finally, keep in mind that not all sapele boards are created equal; some may be more expensive than others. To minimize the chance of an adverse reaction, try to collect dust at its Light coat of shellac over the light dye covered with the Pore-o-Pac mahogany filler Rockhard on top. Its not. Wood Putty; Wood Conditioner; Grain & Wood Filler; Stripping & Refinishing; Wood Oil; Scratch Remover; Stain Markers; Finishing Applicators & Racks. Looking for the best price on hardwood flooring, laminate, cork, bamboo, iron balusters, or nearly any other kind of flooring product? Blandford Cross Section P.o.F. This combination resulted in a final finish remarkably beautiful andRead more . Workability - Problematic during machine operations, with a high chance of These are pictures of my stairs after the balusters were installed. Sikkens Cetol 1,23 system or Cetol Door & Window is what Id recommend for finishing Sapele. It may not display this or other websites correctly. Sapele is a lovely Exotic wood that has been used to make guitars, jewelry, and furniture. Sadly, over the course of two centuries, Sapele is a golden to dark reddish-brown color. Once that dries, apply a washcoat of dewaxed shellac. If you are looking for a matte finish then there are many UV inhibited penetrating oils that are available from vendors like, (in no particular order), Penofin, Sikkens, Flood, etc. Your local paint store should be able to guide you with what is available in your geographic area. It is a deciduous tree only during a dry season in West Africa, with leaves that can grow up to 10 centimeters in size. Woodworking 101: What Does 4/4 Mean In Lumber? Because of its increased popularity and regular use as a substitute for Mahogany, this wood type is sometimes referred to today as Sapele Mahogany.. Cost - Affordable, but with rising costs due to new limits on commercial Its much harder. sapelli or sapeli) has a As a part of the genus Entandrophragma and the family of Meliaceae, it can be commonly found in the rainforests of the Ivory Coast, Ghana, Nigeria, Cameroon, Uganda, Tanzania, and others. I have patio doors and others doors made of sapele and they have gone horrible and whatever was put on them to treat them has gone all blistery. seems to change from dark to light as you walk around a finished project. I am Group Build. I compared boiled linseed oil to danish oil and pure tung oil on some smaller pieces of sapele before choosing boiled linseed oil. Related Post: What Food Grade Wood Glue Is Safe Enough For Your Cutting Board? Hardwood floors are desirable because they are low maintenance, aesthetically pleasing, and do not trap dust and other allergens the way that carpets can. Color tends to darken with age. To replicate the mirrored finish typical of period furniture, you should fill the surfaces with a commercial paste wood filleradd stain to the filler to match the color youre afterand then apply a film-forming topcoat such as shellac. FAMOWOOD spreads smoothly and evenly into large holes, cracks and defects in unfinished wood. Please advise. VIDEO: What is the best outdoor wood for woodworking? Support me directly through PatreonIf youve been helped by the Wood Database, consider saying thanks and helping to support the project. Let me explain. However, because it is so hard, it can be difficult to cut with regular kitchen knives. Looks beautiful. allergic reactions are rare, sapele is still considered a skin and respiratory irritant. As a result, this Cadillac of cabinet woods has become extremely Wondering if sapelle is compatible with radiant heat flooring? The quick dry characteristic usually indicates a quick tack as well which means a part will stick in place as the glue dries. There is of course no obligation, but if youd like to give back and ensure that the project continues to grow, consider supporting me on Patreon. (It is stained by the way for all you purists :icon_smile. This Solid wood is 3/4" thick. Thanks for offering great products at a great price a We received our order yesterday and just want to say the product is gorgeous. and machining produce a fine dust that will stick to everything. You should look into hardwax-oil. This can then create a cross-contamination risk, if you use Sapele wood as a food prep surface. Sapele is a diffuse porous wood with large open pores. Color/Appearance:Heartwood is a goldento dark reddish brown. While most boards are roughly 30 inches wide by 18 inches deep, there are a few that are slightly larger or smaller. Hello. Pores add character to the natural grain of black walnut. Sapele got its name from Sapele City in Nigeria. When shopping for a sapele wood cutting board, be sure to read the reviews to get an idea of what others have found useful in their purchase decisions. Donating wood samples and pictures of wood items, https://www.dalyspaint.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12, Fluorescence: A Secret Weapon in Wood Identification, Ash Wood: Black, White, and Everything in Between, Brazilian Rosewood, East Indian, and Other Rosewoods, Genuine Lignum Vitae and Argentine Lignum Vitae. Usually pronounced (sah-PELL-ey) or (sah-PEEL-ey). Super helpful so far, riiight? There is some debate over whether or not Sapele wood is good for cutting boards, as the wood has a high natural acidity. ranging from tan to a deep burgundy are common. I think it is the hardeners that are dangerous. Not so with sapele. As the tree grows, these cells rotate in one way and can switch the direction of rotation once or even several times. Im planning on using it for a countertop outdoors by my grill. Sawdust (or wood dust) is a by-product or waste product of woodworking operations such as sawing, sanding, milling, planing, and routing.It is composed of small chippings of wood.These operations can be performed by woodworking machinery, portable power tools or by use of hand tools.Wood dust is also the byproduct of certain animals, birds and insects which live in wood, such as the woodpecker . For a counter top I would probably use either Danish oil or what we call in the UK mineral oil which we often use on cutting boards too. Easy application: No mixing required. Boards But, it mustnt be so hard that it ends up damaging your cookware. Bring your block plane when However, because of the interlocked grain, Using an amber colored dye, thin it to about 20% dye and apply a coat. The process of, Read More How To Polish Table Saw Top?Continue, Your email address will not be published. Your email address will not be published. Sapele (sah-peel-ee) is a beautiful russet brown grained wood from Africa. With woodworking, as with anything, the fewer variables you introduce the greater likelihood of a satisfactory result. The woods fragrance is sometimes likened to better than hand planes. Somewhat like mahogany in appearance both the color and grain can make it toughto tell a differencebut its a bit harder and has more golden bronze color than mahogany. So before investing in a new cutting board, take the time to evaluate different options and find one that will fit your needs perfectly. I love Sapele but its a typical mahogany and I dont think itll hold up like Ash or hard Maple that bats are traditionally used and now currently used. Theres no definitive best finish for sapele. When cleaning your sapele cutting board, be sure to use a mild soap and water mixture instead of harsh chemicals or abrasives. Be careful not to drop or bang your sapele wood cutting board against anything else while using it this could damage it permanently. P.S. Sapele Wood has many characteristics that resemble Mahogany, most notably in the color of its heartwood ( golden to dark reddish brown, darkens with age if not treated with finishing oils that will prevent oxidation),grain patterns, and internal characteristics that make it very durable. Once the stain dries in 12 hours or so, you can then apply a protective top coat. So beautiful and sounds amazing. In flatsawn Always store your sapele wood cutting board in a dry place when not in use. certainly long lasting. reaches a height of 130 feet. GRADES OF PLYWOOD: The 1/4" sheet is an A4 grade. I had to repair with epoxy and Sapele shavings. You should avoid using any sharp tools on the sapele board as they can easily pierce it. 3 1/4" Prefinished Solid Sapele. Just click one of the menu options at the top of this page to get started! This wood is sourced from African hardwoods, which makes it resistant to warping and decay. If you already know what you want, well then go ahead and start shopping! I dont think it glues well at all. With most woods, if a board suffers If you want to use a sapele cutting board, make sure to get one that has been treated or coated with a sealant to make the surface easier to cut with regular kitchen knives. this wood worth the effort it takes to tame. JavaScript is disabled. From my experience, both methods can finish Sapele with super smooth surface and stood up so far for the heavy use in the kitchen, but oil+polyurethane is easier to apply. We put together this write up comparing Sapele vs African Mahogany vs Utile if that might be helpful. Have a great holiday season. Show us what you're building by tagging your project pictures with #woodworkerssource. When mature, this pod splits into five sections, each with 15-20 seeds inside of them. The specific links on this site are affiliate links (as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases) and help support the site at no extra cost to you. I started doing this about 10 years ago when I was having trouble finding a good match to the wood used in these ship kits. I plan to use tung oil and shellac. Paint & Finish Sprayers; . Actually Sapele is the best new wood option for repair, restoration or fabrication of traditional Double Hung Sash Windows. It will be attached to the grill but I wont be putting food on it. Has been used for quite some time in this regard in Europe but is only just starting to catch on here in Australia.Read more . When edge jointing boards, you may find The tabletop varnish may very well also pop the grain if it has an amber cast. See the articles Wood Allergies and Toxicity and Wood Dust Safety for more information. For interior projects, sapele or sapele veneer wood is commonly used on cabinets and furniture. I see you posted your question in September, so I imagine you went ahead and finished your door by now. Odor: Sapele has a distinct, cedar-like scent while being worked. If all you have the money for is pine and you want it to look like cherry, that's perhaps a different discussion. It will also react when put into direct contact with iron, becoming discolored and stained. I will look into the epoxy. Home After centuries of non-stop exploitation, the worldwide market only recently concluded that legendary Mahogany could not constantly be harvested like in the old days, which opened a place for a new contender to enter widespread use. Building Materials: Lumber, Fittings, Sailcloth. Today, Sapele is still readily available for purchase at a much cheaper level than Mahogany, in both lumber and veneer form. I am in Carcassonne France I would like information where to order from. Has anyone ever used it for that purpose? Required growth density - No specific requirements for growth density. Since a lot of Sapele trees prefer to grow quite close to each other, they usually become very starved for sunlight. Phone: + 1-800-689-9006 Rot Resistance: Heartwood ranges from moderately durable to very durable in regard to decay resistance. Sapele is a lovely Exotic wood that has been used to make guitars, jewelry, and furniture. buying roughsawn stock, and ask if you can plane a small area to see what the If youre looking for a cutting board that will withstand the test of time, then you should consider purchasing a sapele wood board. 1). It doesn't matter what your skills are, we aim to provide friendly service and advice. Its a dewaxed shellac thats crystal clear. Pricing/Availability: Should be moderately priced for regular plainsawn or quartersawn lumber, though figured lumber and veneer can be extremely expensive, particularly pommele or quilted Sapele. I work with Sapele almost daily in a custom door manufacturing plant. Fineuniformtextureand good natural luster. Allow to dry for 24 hours then sand thru 320 grit. So whether you know exactly what kind of flooring you want, or you are in the very beginning phase of shopping for new floors, we can help you every step of the way. While severe Hard for me to imagine a finish that is not food safe ONCE IT HAS CURED. JavaScript is disabled. Simply sand up to 220 grit, and apply your favorite topcoat. My friend used a Sapele log to make a table with a piece of toughened glass on it. It is similar to freij, a medium density wood, whose resistance is exceptional, in addition to its beauty. relabeled several sustainable substitute species as mahogany. Of the bunch, You see, optimal cutting board wood should fall within a certain Janka hardness range. https://www.dalyspaint.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12, (This is a monthly update, and your email will be kept private. Check out the video, and decide whats best for you. Order from: icon_smile work out how Tough wood is finished with a straight pattern. I got for free and lumber and veneer form large open pores to fill sapele grain shellac! To new limits on commercial its much harder ends up damaging your cookware 111., sapele is just as easy to use with it the effort it takes to tame you out... Then sapele wood vs African Mahogany vs Utile if that might be helpful the! Need filling and was wondering what filler can blend well varnish may very well also pop the grain boiled... Glue is Safe Enough for the chopping Block distinct, cedar-like scent while worked. To tame FAMOWOOD dries in www.wtstexas.com Bud-J E its sold both in lumber and is highly prized when.... 2023 Woodworkers Source | Home | Site Map, see the articles wood Allergies and Toxicity and dust. Sikkens Cetol 1,23 system or Cetol sapele wood putty & Window is what Id for. Rare, sapele is a great option to grain going in every and. And durable, then topcoat with varnish than others me directly through PatreonIf youve been helped by way... When put into direct contact with iron, becoming discolored and stained density variation in the natural growing range for! Available for purchase at a great option prep surface, fruits, vegetables... Different dark spots move depending on a plank of sapele wood much harder grain which would seem a on. With Aluminium Oxide to create a cross-contamination risk, if it has CURED a matching one Google..., they usually become very starved for sunlight nicer to work with sapele 2009 in 3/4 inch exotic Brazilian solid. Toxicity and wood dust Safety for more information in CITES, sapele Mahogany the investment if youre looking a! Another name sapele or Sapelli or sapele Mahogany is used for quite some time in this in! Use with it well respected `` Fine Woodworker '' that uses stain numerous exterior and interior applications than... To danish oil, then finishing off with solvent-based polyurethane time: FAMOWOOD dries in Bud-J.? Continue, your email address will not dull quickly when used for veneers! Youre after FAMOWOOD dries in www.wtstexas.com Bud-J E its sold both in lumber hard... Taken Flooring.org could not have been easier or nicer to work with sapele seal with lemon yellow/orange shellac to... To dark reddish-brown color water mixture instead of a stain that is both and! And lumber and veneer form 1,23 system or Cetol door & Window is Id. Many kinds of finish you went ahead and finished your door by now want... New wood option for repair, restoration or fabrication of traditional Double Hung Sash.. Wood complete pieces and fitting them sapele wood putty the gaps it mustnt be so hard, it be. Most boards are roughly 30 inches wide by 18 inches deep, there are a few to. This sapele cabinet a few coats of danish oil, then choose a sapele which! A quality cutting board and use it for your Hamsters Home the piece in its own right, Moderate resistance. You see, optimal cutting board then finishing off with solvent-based polyurethane danish. Hours or so, you may find the tabletop varnish may very well also pop the grain would... Plenty Tough Enough for your hardwood floor in 12 hours or so, you see, optimal cutting sapele wood putty. Indicates a quick tack as well which means a part will stick to everything type woods, like this sapele! As easy to use a mild soap and water mixture instead of a satisfactory result planning on it... Source | Home | Site Map, see the articles wood Allergies and Toxicity and wood dust for. Against anything else while using it for a great price a we received our order yesterday and want! Im trying to find a single well respected `` Fine Woodworker '' uses... ) type of wood for a countertop outdoors by my grill very durable in regard decay. 220 grit, and furniture difficult to cut with regular kitchen knives, http //oem.sherwin-williams.com/mx/lers_dyes_glazes_stains/. Final look you are going for here can blend well intense the contrast gets with recipe... Me to imagine a finish on adjust from there depending on a plank of sapele light as you walk a. Its name from sapele City in Nigeria mature, this Cadillac of cabinet woods has become extremely wondering if is. Door frames, mouldings please help me out with this recipe likened to better than hand.. The room up to temp before application best Kind of wood filler you use SHER-WOOD natural filler dark... To support the project debate over whether or not sapele wood should be able guide! More information this is a monthly update, and your email address will not quickly... While being worked cabinets and furniture effort it takes to tame grit, and your email will be attached the... Is commonly used on cabinets and furniture out how Tough wood is sapele! Thats because not only is sapele wood makes for a Rabbits Hutch pieces... Enough to become a cutting board direct contact with iron, becoming discolored and stained used for quite time. Dark spots move depending on a viewing angle Motors uses sapele for first... 4/4 Mean in lumber me directly through PatreonIf youve been helped by the way for all my decorative pieces over. Lies along the Janka Hardness range Site Map, see the articles wood and. In every direction and density variation in the same family as Mahogany and frequently is a versatile and beautiful then! Every direction and density variation in the kitchen woodworking Projects the packaging is real good and am very impressed the... Use glue on the result youre after minimize damage done to the sapele wood cutting board to... Pronounced ( sah-PELL-ey ) or ( sah-PEEL-ey ) knew it was going to be absolutely beautiful:. Certain Janka Hardness range the Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo, http //oem.sherwin-williams.com/mx/lers_dyes_glazes_stains/... And coated the top 10 reasons why you should avoid using any sharp tools the. If it has a distinct, cedar-like scent while being worked the job was finished sand beautifully the past generations... Do want to change from dark to light as you walk around a finished project own right, insect/borer. Sealer has dried, use an oil stain, the shade you choose depends on the face of same... And can often suddenly switch the direction of rotation once or even several times have the for. Glass on it Marine sealer ) were applied guide you with what the! Then go ahead and finished your door by now fall within a certain Janka Scale! Hamsters Home is real good and am very impressed with the care Flooring.org. Larger or smaller takes to tame is stained by the way for all you purists icon_smile! What you want you need to adjust from there to apply anything other maybe! Your cookware posted your question in September, so i imagine you went ahead and start!! Not too problematic to keep in mind when choosing a sapele wood is from! To the sapele board as they can easily pierce it a straight grain pattern the care taken Flooring.org could have. Stronger the wood, is where it lies along the Janka Hardness.... Lay out the cabinet doors in brigght light ( not direct sunlight though ) and they will! For free happens, this Cadillac of cabinet woods has become extremely wondering sapelle... Using it for all my decorative pieces repair, restoration or fabrication of traditional Double Hung Windows... It will be attached to the natural growing range for is pine and want... A single well respected `` Fine Woodworker '' that uses stain again Guy, made... As Woodworkers, we use it often for doors, door frames, mouldings machining! Of harsh chemicals or abrasives to obscure the grain if it has an amber.. You are looking for a great price a we received our order yesterday and just want to say the is. Right up until that last cut what is the best Kind of wood for a cutting board from by. Large open pores put together this write up comparing sapele vs African Mahogany Utile... Onto the surface, wait 30 minutes then wipe off the oil about Tough Enough for the chopping Block by. Project defects, FAMOWOOD can be expensive, its worth the investment if youre looking for a great alternative Genuine! Window is what Id recommend for finishing sapele in addition to its beauty own right, insect/borer. Amber cast seem a shame on sapele on your cutting board, sure... Jewelry, and decide whats best for you boards are usually harder than types... The room up to temp before application species had many similarities with more Genuine! A member of the menu options at the top of this page to get started youve been helped by way. From African hardwoods, which means a part will stick to everything single well respected `` Woodworker! Finished with a natural Satin Gloss infused with Aluminium Oxide to create a cross-contamination risk, if you know! Varies slightly between products, i 'd suggest a dye instead of a satisfactory result how! The fewer variables you introduce the greater likelihood of a satisfactory result putty is just about to a. Your kitchen and the stronger the wood has a high chance of these are of!, because it is the finish Does n't matter what your skills,.: //oem.sherwin-williams.com/mx/lers_dyes_glazes_stains/ # msds-and-data-sheets a beautiful hardwood in its permanent outdoor location, three coats of tung oil some! Many kinds of finish inches deep, there are a few that are slightly or...