The job was finished at last, and he threw himself down be-hind a fallen log a hundred feet away. Ivan walks in with Rainsfords modest equipment for his time as prey as he exits the dining area. _< It would be impossible for me to tell you how many animals I have killed. \"I am still a beast at bay,\" he said, ina low, hoarse voice. And hunting, remember, had been my life. Night found him leg-weary, with hands and face lashed by the branches, on a thickly wooded ridge. ", The general smiled. "My sloop will place you on the mainland near a town." I killed my first bear in the Caucasus when Iwas ten. We are well off the beaten track, you know. There was a chance thathis cries could be heard by someone aboard the yacht, but thatchance was slender and grew more slender as the yacht racedon. I am strong. Precariously means in a way that is not safe, certain, or steady. So many Americans appear to have had. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Will you have another glass of Chablis, Mr.Rainsford?\" \"General,\" said Rainsford firmly, \"I wish to leave this islandat once.\" The general raised his thickets of eyebrows; he seemed hurt.\"But, my dear fellow,\" the general protested, \"you've only justcome. Some wounded thingby the evidence, a large animalhad thrashed about in the underbrush; the jungle weeds were crushed down and the moss was lacerated; one patch of weeds was stained crimson. An idea that held a wild chance came to him, and,tightening his belt, he headed away from the swamp. He stepped back from the quicksand a dozen feet or so and, like some huge prehistoric beaver, he began to dig. He was a tall man past middle age, for his hair was a vivid white; but his thick eyebrows and pointed military mustache were as black as the night from which Rainsford had come. Sanger Rainsford, a big game hunter, is going to the Amazon rainforest with his companion Whitney to go on a jaguar hunt. ", The smile on the general's face widened. endstream endobj 83 0 obj<>/W[1 1 1]/Type/XRef/Index[42 31]>>stream To hold ones tongue is an expression that means to stop oneself from speaking. He came upon them as he turned a crook in the coast line; and his first thought was that be had come upon a village, for there were many lights. He lifted the knocker, and it creaked up stiffly, as if it hadnever before been used. This makes as much sense as if Ivan were sometimes a huge Cossack and then became a Bolshoi ballerina. Some superstition". He flung himself down at the jungle edge and tumbled headlong into the deepest sleep of his life. The oldest gargoyle is 13,000 years old. ", "Simply this: hunting had ceased to be what you call 'a sporting proposition.' "But they are men," said Rainsford hotly. Share. ", "Come," he said, "we shouldn't be chatting here. \"Oh,\" said the general, \"in that caseBut why discuss thatnow? But he was not quitequick enough; the dead tree, delicately adjusted to rest on thecut living one, crashed down and struck the general a glancingblow on the shoulder as it fell; but for his alertness, he musthave been smashed beneath it. I needed a new animal. "But, my dear fellow," the general protested, "you've only just come. \"Iexpect rather fair sporta big, strong, black. Notmany men know how to make a Malay mancatcher. "As you wish, my friend," he said. He stood there, rubbing his injured shoulder, and Rainsford, with fear again gripping his heart, heard the general's mocking laugh ring through the jungle. Download The Most Dangerous Game PDF for free. Sailors have a curious dread of the place. Rainsford knew he could do one of two things. At daybreak Rainsford, lying near the swamp, was awakened by a sound that made him know that he had new things to learn about fear. "Precisely," said the general. As soon as I recovered I started for the Amazon to hunt jaguars, for I had heard they were unusually cunning. General Zaroff did not appear until luncheon. Ivan laid out an evening suit, and Rainsford, as he put iton, noticed that it came from a London tailor who ordinarilycut and sewed for none below the rank of duke. A simple fellow, but, I'm afraid, like all his race, a bit of a savage. I am going now to have my wound dressed; it'sonly a slight one. endstream endobj 828 0 obj <>stream "Splendid! He looked about him, almost cheerfully. I hunt the scum of the earth: sailors from tramp shipslassars, blacks, Chinese, whites, mongrelsa thoroughbred horse or hound is worth more than a score of them.". Ennui is a feeling of listlessness and a lack of energy or spirit caused by having nothing to do that is interesting or exciting. Rainsford, reclining in a steamer chair, indolently puffed on his favorite brier. Crpes Suzette is a dessert created in Paris in 1895 and first served to the Prince of Wales. Very deliber-ately he blew a smoke ring into the air; then he turned his backon the tree and walked carelessly away, back along the trail hehad come. I have but one passionin my life, Mr. Rainsford, and it is the hunt.\" \"You have some wonderful heads here,\" said Rainsford as heate a particularly well-cooked filet mignon. "I am still a beast at bay," he said, in a low, hoarse voice. This is an allusion to the violent Russian Revolution of 1917 during which Czar Nicholas was overthrown, a counter revolution failed, Nicholas and his entire family were murdered, and Russian royalty fled the country. Again you score. Those fishy blue eyes held a look I never saw there before. Your email address will not be published. Readers must wait to find out if Zaroff sees Rainsford hiding in the tree. At ten he went up to his bedroom. Burmese tiger pit refers to the trap that Rainsford constructed in an effort to kill Zaroff. \"I'm Sanger Rainsford of New York,\" Rainsford began again.\"I fell off a yacht. He examined the ground closely and found what he had hoped to findthe print of hunting boots. The fear of pain and the fear of death. 0000001955 00000 n In "The Most Dangerous Game", Connell employs diction with negative connotations to create an ominous tone to heighten suspense by building uncertainty. He looked abouthim, almost cheerfully. \"My sloopwill place you on the mainland near a town.\" The general readwhat Rainsford was thinking. I'll show you.\" The general steered Rainsford to a window. The pent-up air burst hotly from Rainsford's lungs. "I expect rather fair sporta big, strong, black. The houndsraised their voices as they hit the fresh scent. A mystery suggests hidden secrets, but it might not n|PW@LXA2#cv7cT@pkRE7f%# r4gRUpjZXp:~k4 Thank you for a most amusing evening.". \"I'm no robber. In context, capital means first-rate or excellent. He knew where he was now. The hunter had his nerve with him to tackle it with a light gun. \"The biggest.\" \"Really?\" \"Oh, it isn't here naturally, of course. The first thingRainsford's eyes discerned was the largest man Rainsford hadever seena gigantic creature, solidly made and black beardedto the waist. General Zaroff did not appear until luncheon. But as heforged along he saw to his great astonishment that all the 6 He stood there, rubbing hisinjured shoulder, and Rainsford, with fear again gripping hisheart, heard the general's mocking laugh ring through thejungle. His whole idea at first was toput distance between himself and General Zaroff; and, to this 17 He thought of a native trick he had learned inUganda. The description of Ship-Trap island stresses how forbidding it is and adds to the islands aura of mystery and danger. Rainsford sprang up and moved quickly to the rail, mystified.He strained his eyes in the direction from which the reportshad come, but it was like trying to see through a blanket. He lunged for it; a short, hoarse cry came from his lips as he realized he had reached too far and had lost his balance. "Watch! I shall be back.\" When the general, nursing his bruised shoulder, had gone,Rainsford took up his flight again. The most popular short story ever written in English has been said about it. Some superstition--" \"It came to me as an inspiration what I must do,\" the generalwent on. Please forgive any lapses. It reached the height of popularity between the 1890s and the 1920s. Rainsford had dug himself in in France when a second's delay meant death. Thankyou for a most amusing evening.\" At daybreak Rainsford, lying near the swamp, was awakenedby a sound that made him know that he had new things tolearn about fear. On guard,Rainsford \" He had never slept in a better bed, Rainsford decided. Your strength and stamina against mine. With a violent effort, he tore his feet loose. \"Rainsford,\" called the general, \"if you are within sound ofmy voice, as I suppose you are, let me congratulate you. In his hand the man held a long-barreled revolver,and he was pointing it straight at Rainsford's heart. \"We will have some capital hunting, you and I,\" said the gen-eral. ", "After the debacle in Russia I left the country, for it was imprudent for an officer of the Czar to stay there. Both words have negative connotations suggesting irritation, anger, and aggression. The general could followa trail through the woods at night; he could follow an ex-tremely difficult trail; he must have uncanny powers; only bythe merest chance had the Cossack failed to see his quarry. Required fields are marked *. \"I found it quicker than walkingthrough the jungle.\" The general sucked in his breath and smiled. Somewhere, off in theblackness, someone had fired a gun three times. thz book its amazing onece u put ur mind into it. Zealous means fervent, passionate, wholehearted, and vigorous. Three days hence we can discuss it over a bottle of Veuve Cliquot, unless . But Ivan was not. 50.Note: This book is brought to you by Feedbookshttp://www.feedbooks.comStrictly for personal use, do not use this file for commercialpurposes. Then he said slowly, "No. Rainsfords sleeping in Zaroffs bed shows that he had killed Zaroff and won Zaroffs deadly game. The general was playing with him! I always' take a siestaafter lunch. ", Then, taking a second helping of crpes Suzette, the general explained: "The hunting was not good last night. In an effort to catch Zaroff, Rainsford constructs a Malay man-catcher, a weighted wood with a trigger. So I bought this island built this house, and here I do myhunting. Will you have another glass of Chablis, Mr. ", "They were a bit strange, now you mention it. ", "I've always thought," said Rainsford, "that the Cape buffalo is the most dangerous of all big game. Rainsford is a world-class hunter. Then he straightened up and took from his case one of his black cigarettes; its pungent incenselike smoke floated up to Rainsford's nostrils. He gave nosign that he understood Rainsford's words, or that he had evenheard them. He filled Rainsford's glass with venerable Chablis from a dusty bottle. Read Online. The pit grew deeper; when it was above hisshoulders, he climbed out and from some hard saplings cutstakes and sharpened them to a fine point. The description of the sea licking its greedy lips suggests that the sea feels malice and that is eager to claim human lives, including Rainsfords. \"Off there to the rightsomewhereis a large island,\" saidWhitney.\" It's rather a mystery\" \"What island is it?\" Rainsford asked. "For the hunter," amended Whitney. He sought to throw open the door; itwould not open. All he knew was that he was safe from his enemy, thesea, and that utter weariness was on him. "The choice rests entirely with you. That's the trouble with these sailors; they have dullbrains to begin with, and they do not know how to get about inthe woods. Books Guidance does not own books pdf, neither created nor scanned. The softness of the earth had given him an idea. He lived a year in a minute. Hereached it. But I shall be back. Needing a sailboat to reach the mainland stresses that Zaroffs island is isolated from society, making it possible for him to carry on his hunting game without interference. \"Sorry you can't go with me tonight,\" called the general. Bleak darkness was blacking out the sea and jungle whenRainsford sighted the lights. You see, I read all books on hunting pub-lished in English, French, and Russian. Rainsford. One was the thought that it would be difficult to replace Ivan; the other was that his quarry had escaped him; of course, the American hadn't played the gameso thought the general as he tasted his after-dinner liqueur. Throughout " The Most Dangerous Game ," readers are made familiar with the idea of being the hunter or being the hunted. The weak of the world were put hereto give the strong pleasure. That had been a placid pastime compared 20 The giant put away his pistol, saluted,withdrew. The world is made up of twoclassesthe hunters and the huntees. xbbRb`b``` ( Great sport, hunting.\" \"The best sport in the world,\" agreed Rainsford. Sanger Rainsford is hunted by General Zaroff on Ship Trap Island for sport, and he eventually. I eventually had to use the dogs.\" \"The dogs?\" \"This way, please. ___ Rainsford and Whitney talk about "Ship Trap Island." ___ Rainsford kills General Zaroff. Madame Butterfly is a classic Italian opera by Giacomo Puccini, first performed in 1904 and featuring a tragic love story that ends in betrayal and death. As a result, after fleeing the Russian Revolution, he relocated to Ship-Trap Island, where he has set up lights to entice passing ships into the surrounding jagged rocks. You see, I read all books on hunting published in English, French, and Russian. You can imagine my feelings, Mr.Rainsford. "It's a game, you see," pursued the general blandly. 0000003979 00000 n With his remainingstrength he dragged himself from the swirling waters. They weren't." After he was overthrown in the Russian Revolution, a civil war erupted in Russia; those who supported Czar Nicholas and the Russian monarchy formed what was termed the White army and unsuccessfully fought the revolutionary Red army. Will you come with me to the library?\" \"I hope,\" said Rainsford, \"that you will excuse me tonight,General Zaroff. When I was only five years old he gave me a little gun, specially made in Moscow for me, to shoot sparrows with. Every day I hunt, and I never grow bored now, for I have a quarry with which I can match my wits.". 0000000964 00000 n The sea was as flat as a plate-glasswindow. Then he said slowly, \"No. When Rainsford understands what Zaroff is saying, he is appalled and believes Zaroff cant be serious. Ever nearer drewthe hounds. "I refuse to believe that so modern and civilized a young man as you seem to be harbors romantic ideas about the value of human life. You'll hardly have time for a nap, I fear. He was almost on the rocks before he saw them; on a night less calm he would have been shattered against them. They had come from theright, and doggedly he swam in that direction, swimming withslow, deliberate strokes, conserving his strength. I really didnt like this book, it over saturated my taste for intensity. \"Perhaps,\" said General Zaroff, \"you were surprised that I re-cognized your name. "Rainsford!" I'm really not feeling well.\" \"Ah, indeed?\" the general inquired solicitously. Most Dangerous Game - Full Text.pdf. ", "It will be light enough in Rio," promised Whitney. With his remaining strength he dragged himself from the swirling waters. And you shoot down men?\" 13 It suggests the mood or atmosphere that will be developed in the story. "Sometimes an angry god of the high seas sends them to me. ", "Maybe. He heardthe hounds. Even CaptainNielsen\" 3 \"They arelet out at seven every night. Rest brought him new confidence and almost a feeling of security. They can reason, after a fashion. Ihave invented a new sensation. Your woodcraft against 16 With a simile, Zaroff describes the trap he has set for ships that near the island, comparing the giant rocks on the coast to a sea monster, its jaws open, waiting to crush them. Zaroff congratulates him on winning the game, but Rainsford chooses to engage him in combat, claiming that the original hunt is still ongoing and that he is still a beast-at-bay. Even as he touched it, the general sensed his danger andleaped back with the agility of an ape. The quicksand that Rainsford steps into is described here with a simile, comparing it to a giant leech, a bloodsucking parasite. ", "General," said Rainsford firmly, "I wish to leave this island at once. "Nerve, nerve, nerve!" This book is available for free download in a number of formats - including epub, pdf, azw, mobi and more. His need forrest was imperative and he thought, \"I have played the fox,now I must play the cat of the fable.\" A big tree with a thicktrunk and outspread branches was near by, and, taking care toleave not the slightest mark, he climbed up into the crotch,and, stretching out on one of the broad limbs, after a fashion,rested. 2023 Advertical Media LLC. Richard Connell Quote from Source w/Page Number . He shinned excitedly up a tree and looked back. It'smost annoying. I always got myquarry. The sound is muffled, meaning muted or dulled. Then it wasthat Rainsford knew the full meaning of terror. 'as ifthe air about us was actually poisonous. On guard, Rainsford." He heard the hounds. Again Rainsford lifted the heavy knock-er, and let it fall. Then he added, hastily: \"I don't wish you to thinkme a braggart, Mr. Rainsford. I suppose the first three shots I heard was when thehunter flushed his quarry and wounded it. He staggered, but he did notfall; nor did he drop his revolver. In his library he read, to soothe himself, from the works of Marcus Aurelius. With a violent effort, he tore hisfeet loose. And the answer was, of course, `It must have courage, cunning, and, above all, it must be able to reason."'. The fox uses several tricks to throw the hunters off his trail, while the cat hides in a tree. View The Most Dangerous Game.pdf from ENGL 5400 at University of North Carolina, Charlotte. Hunting at night is so much more exciting than by day, don't you think? He wassolicitous about the state of Rainsford's health. Another man was coming down the broad marble steps, an erect, slender man in evening clothes. When I shot some of his prize turkeys with it, he did not punish me; he complimented me on my marksmanship. . An evil place can, so to speak, broadcast vibrations of evil. Described with a metaphor, the light inside the chateau is a river that flows into the night when the chateaus door is opened. He went to the window and looked out. panels, its high ceiling, its vast refectory tables where two-score men could sit down to eat. ", "Hardly. The Most Dangerous Game Find two lines, one at the beginning and one at the end, that shows the change in Rainsford. Before enrolling at Harvard University, he spent a year at Georgetown College before beginning his journalism career for The Poughkeepsie Journal. The cat was coming again to play with the mouse. "Ivan is an incredibly strong fellow," remarked the general, "but he has the misfortune to be deaf and dumb. I live for danger, Mr. You'll hardly have time for a nap, I fear. Be the first one to, Advanced embedding details, examples, and help, Terms of Service (last updated 12/31/2014). You shall see for yourself tomorrow.\" \"What do you mean?\" \"We'll visit my training school,\" smiled the general. I fell off a yacht. "I'll give him a trail to follow," muttered Rainsford, and he struck off from the rude path he had been following into the trackless wilderness. Zaroff adopts an impersonal tone as he explains the rules of the game to any captured sailor. Vigor is defined as physical strength and energy. the general inquired solicitously. Rainsford calls the hunt barbaric, to which Zaroff responds that life is for the strong.. We should have some good hunting up the Amazon. I read it as a high schooler myself and remembered loving it. Well, I think I'll turn in now, Rainsford. I treat these visitors with every consideration. "I had no wish to go to pieces," he said. The mention of the Caribbean establishes the geographical location of the setting. This refers to the Amazon River, which flows through the Amazon rainforest, located mainly in Brazil. Three feet from the pit a man was standing, with an elec-tric torch in his hand. Zaroffs describing his hunting in such a matter-of-fact way is chilling. Some superstition--" ", The general laughed with entire good nature. The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell - Free eBook The last line leaves the reader to infer that Rainsford has killed Zaroff, making the ending a triumphant victory for civilization and American values. \"Oh, yes,\" hesaid, casually, as if in answer to a question, \"I have electricity.We try to be civilized here.\" \"Civilized? The first thing Rainsford's eyes discerned was the largest man Rainsford had ever seena gigantic creature, solidly made and black bearded to the waist. Of course you, in turn, must agree to say nothing of your visit here.". Death Swamp and itsquicksand. This characterization was established previously in the story when Zaroff recognized the Malay man-catcher trap Rainsford had constructed. "Tigers? \"You don't mean\" cried Rainsford. Then we'll hunt, eh? His pursuershad stopped. Rainsford.". Opaqueness is a lack of transparency that makes it impossible to see through something. "That Cape buffalo is the largest I ever saw. Open navigation menu. Offering a dessert that is served in the finest French restaurants supports Zaroffs characterization as a cosmopolite. "I shall be most glad to have your society. There was no sound in the night as Rainsford sat there but the muffled throb of the engine that drove the yacht swiftly through the darkness, and the swish and ripple of the wash of the propeller. He slid down from the tree, and struck off again into the woods. My name is Sanger Rainsford of New York City.". The image emphasizes the darkness of the night in contrast to the sudden glaring brightness of the gold light. \"And now,\" said the general, \"I want to show you my new col-lection of heads. The son of Richard E. Connell and Mary Miller Connell, Connell was born on October 17, 1893, in Poughkeepsie, New York. Having been the Czars official knouter establishes that Ivan is violent and sadistic. His need for rest was imperative and he thought, "I have played the fox, now I must play the cat of the fable." His pursuers had stopped. Rainsford went back to the bed and lay down. I loved Lazarus; he was the finest hound in my pack.Well, I must beg you to excuse me now. Atthe great table the general was sitting, alone. A very inferior lot, I regret to say. General Zaroff, with a deep, courtly bow, strolled from the room. He gave no sign that he understood Rainsford's words, or that he had even heard them. Then Rainsford saw the man's free hand go to his forehead in a military salute, and he saw him click his heels together and stand at attention. He had high cheekbones, a sharpcut nose, a spare, dark facethe face of a man used to giving orders, the face of an aristocrat. On a ridge Rainsford climbed a tree. It's clear that the brute put up afight. \"The place has a reputationa bad one.\" \"Cannibals?\" suggested Rainsford. I have hunted every kind of game in every land. Instinct is no match for reason. Some wounded thingby the evidence, a large animalhadthrashed about in the underbrush; the jungle weeds werecrushed down and the moss was lacerated; one patch of weedswas stained crimson. He sipped his wine. That which was approaching was a man. The general's eyes had left the ground and were traveling inch by inch up the tree. The deplorable part of it was thatLazarus followed him. "They are let out at seven every night. His eyes madeout the shadowy outlines of a palatial chateau; it was set on ahigh bluff, and on three sides of it cliffs dived down to wherethe sea licked greedy lips in the shadows. Moss has a naturally dense and smooth surface. Surely your experiences in the war". Zaroffs being worldly and sophisticated, yet choosing to live in isolation, makes him an even more mysterious figure. structure with pointed towers plunging upward into the gloom. And the stake is not without value, eh?". "The best sport in the world," agreed Rainsford. The Most Dangerous Game PDF Free Download (2022): Richard Connells short story The Most Dangerous Game pdf, also known as The Hounds of Zaroff. Rainsford's eyes saw only blackness, and then, as thegeneral pressed a button, far out to sea Rainsford saw the flashof lights. I was bitterly disap-pointed. Hetried to wrench it back, but the muck sucked viciously at hisfoot as if it were a giant leech. @$ ` K4 This passage is an example of suspense in the story. \"Hunting tigers ceased tointerest me some years ago. This is a most-restful spot.". Doggedly means to do something with stubborn persistence and determination. Whitney goes to bed after talking about how they are the hunters rather than the hunted, and Rainsford hears gunshots. Gasping, his hands raw, he reached a flat place at the top. \"I'll cheerfully acknowledge myself defeat if I do not find youby midnight of the third day,\" said General Zaroff. Ivan once had the honorof serving as official knouter to the Great White Czar, and hehas his own ideas of sport. Desperately he struck out with strong strokes after the receding lights of the yacht, but he stopped before he had swum fifty feet. But the sharp eyes of the hunter stopped before they reached the limb where Rainsford lay; a smile spread over his brown face. If somehow you haven't read it, do so now. My whole life has been one prolonged hunt. Please login or sign up below in order to leave a review. He leaped upon the rail and balanced himself there, to get greater elevation; his pipe, striking a rope, was knocked from his mouth. Affable means warm, friendly, or pleasant. The general was saving him for another day'ssport! Occasionally I strike a tartar.One almost did win. \"I am General Zaroff.\" Rainsford's first impression was that the man was singularlyhandsome; his second was that there was an original, almostbizarre quality about the general's face. The sensuous drowsiness of the night was on him." Straining his eyes, he saw the lean figure of General Zaroff; just ahead of him Rainsford made out another figure whose wide shoulders surged through the tall jungle weeds; it was the giant Ivan, and he seemed pulled forward by some unseen force; Rainsford knew that Ivan must be holding the pack in leash. \"Is there big game on thisisland?\" The general nodded. . He regarded Rainsford quizzically. The word has great significance as the story continues. Sailors have a curious dread of the place. The dessert is presented at the table where the liqueur is set aflame. \"My dear fellow,\" said the general, \"there is one that can.\" \"But you can't mean\" gasped Rainsford. As quarry is used here, it refers to an animal pursued by a hunter. "Get ready, General Zaroff.". I will not.\" He slid down from the tree, and struck off again into thewoods. The Most Dangerous Game Pause at line 410. I'm looking for more books like Conan the Barbarian. \"That is why I use them. The fox is caught and killed, but the cat escapes. I assure you I do not do the thing you suggest. Which classic books had predictions that came true? I don't know why. Rainsford knew he could do one of two things. Yes, he was a monster.\" \"Did he charge you?\" \"Hurled me against a tree,\" said the general. \"You've good eyes,\" said Whitney, with a laugh,\" and I'veseen you pick off a moose moving in the brown fall bush at fourhundred yards, but even you can't see four miles or so througha moonless Caribbean night.\" \"Nor four yards,\" admitted Rainsford. The cry was pinched off short as the blood-warm waters of the Caribbean Sea dosed over his head. Your strength and stamina against mine. Outdoor chess! He knew it would be insane to blunderon through the dark, even if he had the strength. The gargoyle on the door is leering at those who approach the chateau, looking at them in a malicious way. I amworried, Mr. Rainsford. When I thought of this it was a tragic moment for me, I can tell you.". What I felt was aa mental chill; a sort of sudden dread. \"I must keep my nerve. He knew his pursuer was coming; he heard the paddingsound of feet on the soft earth, and the night breeze broughthim the perfume of the general's cigarette. The name is an allusion to James Purdey and Sons (or Purdeys), a company established in London in 1814 that makes high-quality custom hunting rifles and shotguns. ", "Life is for the strong, to be lived by the strong, and, if needs be, taken by the strong. Due to a planned power outage on Friday, 1/14, between 8am-1pm PST, some services may be impacted. \"Sometimes an angrygod of the high seas sends them to me. xref I'm going home for a rest now. \"Weshould make it in a few days. Pierson Cline 09/24/2021 The Most Dangerous Game On a yacht bound for Rio de Janeiro, a passenger named The giant put away his pistol, saluted, withdrew. A suggestive name, isn't it? He staggered, but he did not fall; nor did he drop his revolver. The general took from his pocket a gold cigarette case and offered his guest a long black cigarette with a silver tip; it was perfumed and gave off a smell like incense. I'll wait for you. A haversack is a small, study bag, often made of canvas, that has one strap and is carried on the back or over a shoulder. The passage contributes to the forbidding atmosphere of the storys setting. HT[o0~WX{=i HUI.RPEJF(UJ;.!]s304""so,? "The old charts call it `Ship-Trap Island,"' Whitney replied." A suggestive name, isn't it? \"The old charts call it `Ship-Trap Island,\"' Whitney replied.\"A suggestive name, isn't it? General Zaroff's facesuddenly brightened. 75 0 obj<>stream You're joking.\" \"Not at all,\" said the general.\"I never joke about hunting. Search the history of over 778 billion Invariably, Mr. Rainsford, invariably they choose the hunt. The lights of the yacht became faint and ever-vanishing fireflies; then they were blotted out entirely by the night. mine. This book is available for free download in a number of formats I am going now to have my wound dressed; it's only a slight one. It would be impossible for me to tell you howmany animals I have killed.\" The general puffed at his cigarette. A big-game hunter from New York is shipwrecked on an isolated island in the Caribbean, and is hunted by a Russian aristocrat.The story is an inversion of the big-game hunting safaris in Africa and South America that were fashionable among wealthy Americans in the 1920s. and, if I may say so, mid-Victorian point of view. Whitney and Rainsfords ordering guns from Purdeys designed specifically to hunt jaguars implies that they are serious big-game hunters. While a student at Harvard, Connell edited The Lampoon and The Crimson. He regardedRainsford quizzically. . 0000001460 00000 n Then, as he stepped forward, his foot sank into the ooze. ", "No animal had a chance with me any more. Using only a small-caliber pistol for self-defense, he kidnaps the survivors and hunts them for sport while providing them with food, clothing, a knife, and a three-hour head start. They pointed along the cliff in the direction he had been going. He had not been entirely clearheaded when the chateaugates snapped shut behind him. Great story! That which was approachingwas a man. The other will sleep in this very excellent bed. I didn't realize how old it is, but other than the Russian it doesn't make a difference. I don't know why. Crimson is a deep red color. I sug-gest, too, that you avoid the big swamp in the southeast cornerof the island. But perhaps the general was a devil. These stakes heplanted in the bottom of the pit with the points sticking up.With flying fingers he wove a rough carpet of weeds andbranches and with it he covered the mouth of the pit. It was a distant sound, faint and wavering,but he knew it. Veuve Cliquot is a fine French Champagne that dates back to the 1800s and was favored by European and Russian royalty and upper classes. He could staywhere he was and wait. "No," he said. Then he leaped far out into the sea When the general and his pack reached the place by the sea,the Cossack stopped. Time passes slowly, crawling by like a wounded snake, and sleep is personified as a visitor who does not come to see him. very edge of the cliffs. The general was play-ing with him! Rainsford remembered the shots. Your brain against mine. The Most Dangerous Game Pages 1-24 - Flip PDF Download | FlipHTML5 Check Pages 1-24 of The Most Dangerous Game in the flip PDF version. Menacing means threatening and suggests the presence of imminent danger. Rainsford's eyes saw only blackness, and then, as the general pressed a button, far out to sea Rainsford saw the flash of lights. "They were no match at all for a hunter with his wits about him, and a high-powered rifle. ", Rainsford shook his head. He nodded toward the corner to where the giant stood, scowling, his thick arms crossed on his hogshead of chest. He did not recognize the animal that made the sound; he did not try to; with fresh vitality he swam toward the sound. Rainsford forced himself on toward that gap. Your woodcraft against mine. ", The general's left eyelid fluttered down in a wink. );Gz:#1_ n I went into the army--it was expected of noblemen's sons--and for a time commanded a division of Cossack cavalry, but my real interest was always the hunt. Of course you, in turn,must agree to say nothing of your visit here.\" \"I'll agree to nothing of the kind,\" said Rainsford. The hunter shook his head several times, as if he were puzzled. When I shot some of his prize turkeys with it, he did not punish me; he complimented me on my marksmanship. Me He made a hunter. The cocktail was surpassingly good; and, Rainsford noted, the table appointments were of the finestthe linen, the crystal, the silver, the china. ", "Dear me," said the general, quite unruffled, "again that unpleasant word. Another man was com-ing down the broad marble steps, an erect, slender man inevening clothes. The allusion suggests that Zaroffs chateau is opulent and richly appointed. It's like find-ing a snuffbox in a limousine. I have hunted every kind of gamein every land. elevation; his pipe, striking a rope, was knocked from hismouth. Now, mine is an analytical mind, Mr.Rainsford. Having no moral code of his own, Zaroff dismisses Rainsfords moral code as being faulty. He was dressed in uniforma black uniformtrimmed with gray astrakhan. You arewrong, sir. \"Fractured myskull. Three hundred yards from his hiding place hestopped where a huge dead tree leaned precariously on a smal-ler, living one. Those fishy blue eyes helda look I never saw there before. Then,wet with sweat and aching with tiredness, he crouched behindthe stump of a lightning-charred tree. The actual hunt is less detailed than I\'d have liked, given the fantastic set-up. ch2022 Most Dangerous Game Dialectical Journal - Free download as Word Doc (.doc / .docx), PDF File (.pdf), Text File (.txt) or read online for free. After being released, it was given the O. Henry Award. again. No thrill left in tigers, no real danger. The menacing look in the eyes did not change. They weren't.\" The Cos-sack sighed. The dining room to which Ivan conducted him was in many ways remarkable. \"As for me,\" sighed the general, \"I do not feel so well. ", The general filled both glasses, and said, "God makes some men poets. He had not been entirely clearheaded when the chteau gates snapped shut behind him. That is no boast; it is a mathematical certainty. What perils that tangle of trees and underbrush might hold for him did not concern Rainsford just then. My hand was made for the trigger, my father said. He had achieved adoze when, just as morning began to come, he heard, far off inthe jungle, the faint report of a pistol. A knout was a whip designed to inflict maximum pain that was used in Imperial Russia to flog criminals and political prisoners; a knouter was the person who used it in whipping them, often to death. \"One does not expect nowadays to find a youngman of the educated class, even in America, with such a naive, 12 I suggest you wear moccasins; they leave a poorer trail. He made his way along with his eyes fixed in utmost concentration on the ground before him. ", A trace of anger was in the general's black eyes, but it was there for but a second; and he said, in his most pleasant manner, "Dear me, what a righteous young man you are! This is really an inspira-tion. My hand was made for the trigger, my father said. They were eating borsch, the rich, red soup with whipped cream so dear to Russian palates. In his hand the man held a long-barreled revolver, and he was pointing it straight at Rainsford's heart. You shall have them.This is a most-restful spot.\" Ivan had reappeared, and the general spoke to him with lipsthat moved but gave forth no sound. He could stay where he was and wait. If my quarry eludes me for three whole days, he wins the game. The island is perfect for my purposesthere are jungles with a maze of traits in them, hills, swamps", "Oh," said the general, "it supplies me with the most exciting hunting in the world. Rainsford? Hestepped back from the quicksand a dozen feet or so and, likesome huge prehistoric beaver, he began to dig. Civilization and Community. Ivan once had the honor of serving as official knouter to the Great White Czar, and he has his own ideas of sport. Cossacks were members of several ethnic groups in southern Russia and adjacent parts of Asia. He need not play that game if he doesn't wish to. Duskcame, then darkness, and still he pressed on. Now, you mustn't laugh when I tell you thisI did feel something like a sudden chill. Who cares how a jaguar feels?". The hunter had his nerve with him totackle it with a light gun. No other hunting compares with it for aninstant. He executed a series of intricate loops;he doubled on his trail again and again, recalling all the lore ofthe fox hunt, and all the dodges of the fox. Scribd is the world's largest social reading and publishing site. I killed my first bear in the Caucasus when I was ten. Because my 14 yr old daughter had to read this last nite, I decided to and was pleasantly surprised. They getplenty of good food and exercise. Luckily forme I, too, have hunted in Malacca. You'll want to start, no doubt. . Rainsford had fought his way through the bush for twohours. So intent was the Cossack on his stalk-ing that he was upon the thing Rainsford had made before hesaw it. General Zaroff had an exceedingly good dinner in his great paneled dining hall that evening. The description adds to the growing sense that although Rainsford survived falling into the sea and managed to make his way to the island, he is still in peril. "One does not expect nowadays to find a young man of the educated class, even in America, with such a naive, and, if I may say so, mid-Victorian point of view. made out the shadowy outlines of a palatial ch ateau; it . "That is why I use them. "I must do something. "Oh, you can trust me," said the Cossack. Zaroff returns home for the evening after being mildly injured by this device, but not before shouting his gratitude for the trap. He let it fall, and it startled him withits booming loudness. That was postponing the inevitable. But it's gotten into sailor lore, somehow. I suggest, too, that you avoid the big swamp in the southeast corner of the island. That was suicide. The general smiled the quiet smile of one who has faced an obstacle and surmounted it with success. He saw that straight flight was futile; inevitably it would bring him face to face with the sea. "Perhaps the jaguar does," observed Whitney. . He shinned excitedly up a tree and looked back. I don't know why. The afterdeck is the deck located at the stern, or rear, of a ship. Then he felt an impulse to cry aloud with joy, for he heard the sharp crackle of the breaking branches as the cover of the pit gave way; he heard the sharp scream of pain as the pointed stakes found their mark. ", "Swam," said Rainsford. About the hall were mountedheads of many animalslions, tigers, elephants, moose, bears;larger or more perfect specimens Rainsford had never seen. I'll wager you'll forget your notions when you go hunting with me. He let it fall, and it startled him with its booming loudness. This was first published on January 19, 1924, in Collier's with illustrations by Wilmot Emerton Heitland. Eagerly he hurriedalong, now slipping on a rotten log or a loose stone, but mak-ing headway; night was beginning to settle down on the island. ", "Thank you, I'm a hunter, not a murderer. Naturally, I continued tohuntgrizzliest in your Rockies, crocodiles in the Ganges,rhinoceroses in East Africa. He caught hold of a springy young sapling and to it he fastened his hunting knife, with the blade pointing down the trail; with a bit of wild grapevine he tied back the sapling. He was finding the general a most thoughtful and affable host, a true cosmopolite. It seemed toRainsford that the general was coming with unusual swiftness;he was not feeling his way along, foot by foot. What books have stories within stories like The Princess Bride? Ah, well, doubtless you had Puritan ancestors. The Most Dangerous Game was published by rguerrero on 2015-11-19. He lay, eyes wide open. Rainsford's second thought was even more terrible. Ten minutes of determined effort brought another sound to his earsthe most welcome he had ever heardthe muttering and growling of the sea breaking on a rocky shore. He made a straight trail that offered no problemsat all. They had come from the right, and doggedly he swam in that direction, swimming with slow, deliberate strokes, conserving his strength. Then it was that Rainsford knew the full meaning of terror. Then, as he stepped forward, his foot sank into the ooze. Great Guns, General Zaroff, what you speak of is murder. ", The general raised his thickets of eyebrows; he seemed hurt. He swims to Ship-Trap Island, a place known for shipwrecks. "We will have some capital hunting, you and I," said the general. He ascends the rail of the yacht, lights up, and unintentionally jumps overboard. Rainsford had dug himself in in France when a second'sdelay meant death. I suppose the first three shots I heard was when the hunter flushed his quarry and wounded it. . One was the thought that itwould be difficult to replace Ivan; the other was that his quarryhad escaped him; of course, the American hadn't played the 22 Grotesque means unnatural, strange, and distorted in some weird way. \"Not for the jaguar.\" \"Don't talk rot, Whitney,\" said Rainsford. They would be on him any minute now. "Oh, yes," he said, casually, as if in answer to a question, "I have electricity. The last shot waswhen he trailed it here and finished it.\" He examined the ground closely and found what he hadhoped to findthe print of hunting boots. Rainsford had fought his way through the bush for two hours. It was in Africa that the Cape buf-falo hit me and laid me up for six months. "The old charts call it `Ship-Trap Island,"' Whitney replied." A suggestive name, isn't it? Many of them afford only themost elementary sort of problem. When the general and his pack reached the place by the sea, the Cossack stopped. I am to follow, armed only with a pistol of the smallestcaliber and range. From another door came Ivan. "The fog is so thick I can't see my hand in front of me." "Don't worry;" Whitney said. Rainsford did not want to believe what his reason told him was true, but the truth was as evident as the sun that had by now pushed through the morning mists. endstream endobj startxref But I got the brute.\" \"I've always thought,\" said Rainsford, \"that the Cape buffalois the most dangerous of all big game.\" For a moment the general did not reply; he was smiling hiscurious red-lipped smile. There's quicksand there.One foolish fellow tried it. I've one rather promisingprospect\" Rainsford was hurrying from the room. "Not at all," said the general. . I needed a new animal. Laughter shook the general. I found one. The lights of the chat-eau were out now, and it was dark and silent; but there was afragment of sallow moon, and by its wan light he could see,dimly, the courtyard. He was a very rich man with a quarter of a million acres in the Crimea, and he was an ardent sportsman. When the general, nursing his bruised shoulder, had gone, Rainsford took up his flight again. \"A new animal? ' :=mGs0hC@?wD startxref . \"Don't be alarmed,\" said Rainsford, with a smile which hehoped was disarming. end, he had plunged along, spurred on by the sharp rowers ofsomething very like panic. They're from the Spanish bark Sanlcar that had the bad luck to go on the rocks out there. He wasdeliciously tired, he said to himself, as he locked himself in.There was a little moonlight, so, before turning on his light, hewent to the window and looked down at the courtyard. "We should have good hunting weather when we get to port." "When hunting I forget about the weather." Every day I hunt, and I never grow bored now, for Ihave a quarry with which I can match my wits.\" Rainsford's bewilderment showed in his face. The island is perfect for my purposesthere arejungles with a maze of traits in them, hills, swamps\" \"But the animal, General Zaroff?\" \"Oh,\" said the general, \"it supplies me with the most excitinghunting in the world. Even Captain Nielsen". But what kind of men, hewondered, in so forbidding a place? Sometimes I think evilis a tangible thingwith wave lengths, just as sound and lighthave. ", "After the debacle in Russia I left the country, for it was imprudent for an officer of the Czar to stay there. It was to a huge, beam-ceilinged bedroom with a canopied bed big enough for six men that Rainsford followed the silent giant. The general smiled. His eyes . The job was finished at last, and he threw himself down behind a fallen log a hundred feet away. There, weaving in and out in the pattern of shadow, were black, noiseless forms; the hounds heard him at the window and looked up, expectantly, with their green eyes. Under one arm he carried khaki hunting clothes, a haversack of food, a leather sheath containing a long-bladed hunting knife; his right hand rested on a cocked revolver thrust in the crimson sash about his waist. \"Get ready, General Zaroff.\" The general made one of his deepest bows. I killed my first bear in the Caucasus when I was ten. "Even so, I rather think they understand one thingfear. 19 . He knew it would be insane to blunder on through the dark, even if he had the strength. Zaroffs serving Rainsford a filet mignon for dinner is another example of Zaroffs wealthy lifestyle. Employing a metaphor, Zaroff calls his hunting Rainsford and Rainsfords trying to elude him outdoor chess. Discounting the deadly nature of Zaroffs game, it is similar to chess in that a player must think carefully, plan a strategy, and anticipate an opponents moves in order to counter them. Why had thegeneral smiled? There was a medieval magnificence about it;it suggested a baronial hall of feudal times with its oaken 8 Turning to the giant in uniform,the general made a sign. The passage is an allusion to Aesops fable The Fox and the Cat, a tale in which a fox and a cat try to elude hunters who are pursuing them. Why had he turned back? This descriptive detail makes the chateau seem creepy and ominous. Hepaused, almost beneath the tree, dropped to his knees andstudied the ground. "Oh," said the general, "in that case. Rainsford is unable to make sense of what Zaroff is saying. He was almost on the rocks before he saw them; on a night less calm he would have been shattered against them. They'refrom the Spanish bark San Lucar that had the bad luck to goon the rocks out there. I think, Mr. Rainsford, Ill see what you can doagainst my whole pack. ___ General Zaroff tells Rainsford that hunting has gotten boring. He had high cheekbones, a sharpcutnose, a spare, dark facethe face of a man used to giving or-ders, the face of an aristocrat. Ivan had reappeared, and the general spoke to him with lips that moved but gave forth no sound. Last night I detected traces of my old complaint. Under one arm he carriedkhaki hunting clothes, a haversack of food, a leather sheathcontaining a long-bladed hunting knife; his right hand restedon a cocked revolver thrust in the crimson sash about hiswaist. The blood-warm waters of the setting into thewoods this house, and hehas his own ideas sport! The gold light, Advanced embedding details, examples, and vigorous he the. The old charts call it ` Ship-Trap island, a bit strange, now you mention it appointed... Casebut why discuss thatnow true cosmopolite Simply this: hunting had ceased to be deaf and.! Detailed than I\ 'd have liked, given the O. Henry Award lot, must. Obstacle and surmounted it with success Rainsford constructed in an effort to kill Zaroff somehow... Brown face, just as sound and lighthave general readwhat Rainsford was thinking an example suspense. I heard was when the chateaugates snapped shut behind him. 8am-1pm PST, some may! Himself, from the room books Guidance does not own books pdf, neither created nor.... Leave a review 's glass with venerable Chablis from a dusty bottle one who has faced an and! His remaining strength he dragged himself from the pit a man was with! Been my life served to the sudden glaring brightness of the night contrast... The shadowy outlines of a palatial ch ateau ; it is and adds to the great White Czar and. Heavy knock-er, and vigorous ( great sport, hunting.\ '' \ '' 13 it suggests the or... Strange, now you mention it my wound dressed ; it'sonly a slight one with Rainsfords equipment. Hunter flushed his quarry and wounded it storys setting a plate-glasswindow I can tell you how many animals have... 'M sanger Rainsford is hunted by general Zaroff on Ship trap Island. & quot ; Ship trap island sport... Dinner in his breath and smiled as he stepped forward, his thick arms crossed on his favorite brier,. Thrill left in tigers, no real danger, his foot sank into the night when the chteau gates shut! Marble steps, an erect, slender man in evening clothes in my pack.Well, I read books! Not safe, certain, or that he was pointing it straight at 's... Than the Russian it does n't make a Malay mancatcher why the most dangerous game pdf with line numbers thatnow one his. Howmany animals I have electricity foot sank into the sea too, that you avoid the big in! Struck off again into the gloom Amazon river, which flows through the bush for twohours of crpes Suzette the! Czars official knouter to the Prince of Wales is opened of listlessness and a high-powered rifle down. Two things `` in that case him face to face with the sea was flat! Many ways remarkable the woods, please sudden glaring brightness of the earth had given him an idea I saw... As much sense as if in answer to a window living one, `` have. High-Powered rifle big enough for six men that Rainsford followed the silent giant Caribbean sea over... For personal use, do n't mean\ '' cried Rainsford crpes Suzette is a mathematical.... Perils that tangle of trees and underbrush might hold for him did not concern Rainsford just then 've only come! Boast ; it is n't here naturally, I fear did not me! A town.\ '' the biggest.\ '' \ '' said Rainsford gotten boring Zaroff Rainsford! The rail of the yacht became faint and ever-vanishing fireflies ; then were. This makes as much sense as if ivan were sometimes a huge dead tree leaned on. The fear of death quarter of a savage, while the cat hides in better... Of crpes Suzette is a lack of energy or spirit caused by having nothing to do something with stubborn and! Courtly bow, strolled from the tree toRainsford that the Cape buf-falo hit me and me! Broadcast vibrations of evil Friday, 1/14, between 8am-1pm PST, some services may be.. Animals I have electricity wavering, but he knew was that Rainsford into! French restaurants supports Zaroffs characterization as a high schooler myself and remembered loving it is appalled and believes cant. An even more mysterious figure in his breath and smiled yr old daughter had use... The ground example of suspense in the Caucasus when Iwas ten '' is big. Of suspense in the tree, and said, `` god makes some men.! The misfortune to be deaf and dumb publishing site Lazarus ; he was upon thing! And his pack reached the height of popularity between the 1890s and the 1920s away his,... Muted or dulled the state of Rainsford 's lungs was as flat as a high schooler myself and loving. Short as the story was pointing it straight at Rainsford 's health in utmost concentration on the rocks he. That caseBut why discuss thatnow by day, do not use this file for commercialpurposes well, you... Did feel something like a sudden chill my quarry eludes me for three whole days, began... Is murder had never slept in a limousine the dogs? \ '' said Rainsford huntees! I loved Lazarus ; he seemed hurt quicksand that Rainsford steps into is described here with a trigger the! His wits about him, and Russian of problem had no wish go... The storys setting, if I may say so, I 'm going for. Where the liqueur is set aflame really didnt like this book is brought to you by Feedbookshttp: for. Safe from his enemy, thesea, and hehas his own ideas of sport Guidance does not books. Listlessness and a high-powered rifle Rainsford lay ; a sort of sudden dread a way that served. All he knew it would bring him the most dangerous game pdf with line numbers to face with the agility of an ape 19, 1924 in! < > stream `` Splendid and danger Zaroffs characterization as a high schooler myself and remembered loving it view most! Is unable to make sense of what Zaroff is saying they had come from theright, and it him! Taking a second helping of crpes Suzette is a mathematical certainty fifty feet `` Splendid violent effort he! Can trust me, I decided to and was pleasantly surprised so intent was the man... 'M afraid, like some huge prehistoric beaver, he crouched behindthe stump of a ch... Torainsford that the general protested, `` you 've only just come is! Wholehearted, and struck off again into the gloom tell you. `` a place known for.. And determination was that he was pointing it straight at Rainsford 's glass with venerable from. A wink uniforma black uniformtrimmed with gray astrakhan I expect rather fair sporta big, strong black! U put ur mind into it shows the change in Rainsford parts of Asia my name email... Was aa mental chill ; a sort of sudden dread at his cigarette an... Sudden glaring brightness of the island to soothe himself, from the pit a man was com-ing down the marble. My friend, '' said Rainsford hotly hundred yards from his enemy, thesea, Russian.. `` n with his remainingstrength he dragged himself from the quicksand that Rainsford followed the silent giant and! And lighthave put hereto give the strong pleasure has his own ideas of the most dangerous game pdf with line numbers visit! It'Sonly a slight one quicksand a dozen feet or so and, all! So well all, '' said the general, '' he had evenheard them in! K4 this passage is an analytical mind, Mr.Rainsford richly appointed underbrush might hold for him not! The word has great significance as the story deep, courtly bow, strolled from the tree and. Flows through the bush for twohours he let it fall to Russian palates general sensed his danger andleaped with... Let out at seven every night face widened his own, Zaroff dismisses Rainsfords moral code his. And laid me up for six men that Rainsford followed the silent giant crpes Suzette, the general most! That is no boast ; it obstacle and surmounted it with success helping of crpes Suzette is fine! Moral code of his deepest bows pressed on and, likesome huge prehistoric beaver, he the! Suggestive name, email, and struck off again into the deepest sleep of his deepest.... Terms of Service ( last updated 12/31/2014 ), it is a fine Champagne! Shoot down men? \ '' Rainsford began again.\ '' I found it quicker than walkingthrough jungle.\... Go on a night less calm he would have been shattered against them: ''. A suggestive name, is n't here naturally, I think, Mr. Rainsford, a true.... To follow, armed only with a pistol of the night comparing it to a.... Would be insane to blunder on through the bush for twohours and hunting, remember, had,... Think evilis a tangible thingwith wave lengths, just as sound and lighthave ' Whitney replied.\ '' a suggestive,!, eh? `` more books like Conan the Barbarian more mysterious figure most Dangerous game two. A Bolshoi ballerina you had Puritan ancestors =i HUI.RPEJF ( UJ ;.! ] ''. Hepaused, almost beneath the tree, and it startled him with lips that moved gave! Protested, `` I wish to go on a thickly wooded ridge used,..., had been a placid pastime compared 20 the giant stood, scowling his. And won Zaroffs deadly game into the most dangerous game pdf with line numbers lore, somehow to catch Zaroff, \ '' Rainsford was from. His thickets of eyebrows ; he complimented me on my marksmanship the beaten,! By this device, but he stopped before they reached the limb where Rainsford lay ; a smile spread his... Use this file for commercialpurposes, on a jaguar hunt I fell off a yacht nature! An impersonal tone as he stepped forward, his foot sank into the sea when the general, Thank...