May 25 2022. turner ashby high school. No matter what i do, its not firm enough! This interfacing is a little bit thicker than the 520 Deco-Fuse, and it is stiff as well. Pellon 809 Dcor-Bond is a firm, nonwoven, fusible stabilizer that provides extra crispness and support. set your iron on low, and don't move the iron back and forth. I dont know how to do piping yet but Id like them to hold their shape on their own so Im hoping this will do the trick. Width: 90cm (35-1/2") It is non-woven iron-on interfacing with a flexible yet leather-like handle. Consistently earned 5-star reviews, dispatched orders on time, and replied quickly to messages, Looks like you already have an account! Some sewing patterns for bags call for you to create sort of a double-bias piece for each handle, meaning that your raw edges would not be exposed. Zipper pouches are really easy to make and are a great start into bag-making for all of you potential bag ladies out there! Its just a matter of knowing what interfacing to use when. I havent been that impressed with Decovil so far myself. If you are looking to make a very stiff bag, then this is the interfacing for you. Thanks so much for taking the time to post it. To tell the difference, the fusible side has a little bumpy feel to it and the non-fusible side should be nice and smooth. Product Review: Decovil Light- Our First Try. One honorable mention is linen. Im making a bag this weekend and this will help me better decide how I want my finished project to look. It also comes on a bolt with a light green label on it. Posted on: 6/22/12 4:04 PM ET. Thank you Sara, Ive not used that one before so it looks like a great opportunity to give it a try. Ironing to fuse depends on how well your iron heats. Hope this helps! 1 yd (100cm) Ultra firm stabiliser/Peltex (20/50cm wide) - if making an all vinyl bag you can substitute for Decovil Light 25 (64cm) No.5 zip tape & 2 zip pulls; 1 x Magnetic snap (for the interior slip pocket) 1 x Metal zip end (can be substituted for a small piece of leather and two rivets if preferred) 4 x Bag . Never use interfacing that is heavier than your clothing item fabric. Ive bookmarked it for referencing. There was a sale at Joanns awhile back and I just bought yards of nearly everything, even though I had no clue what to do with it once I got it home! One bag did get a slight crinkly look. Thermolam is fleece, but it is a needled fleece, which means it is denser and lies flat. Sorry, I forgot to include my email! 2020 Sew Sweetness. And actually, I didnt use the Decovil as a substitute for the Soft & Stable for this project. You may want to add a second pressing cloth under your material to protect your ironing board cover. As with any stiff interfacing, it can be tricky to maneuver your bag through your sewing machine. Again, others might have different opinions on this. But then do the pockets have to be so stiff? There are only 450 Lm and 4,000 Lm of light produced by the two bulbs. I have been using Decovil light with my bags. It is exactly in information I was looking for. A thin drapey lining with then very stiff pockets? Instead, using a press cloth over your interfacing, press your iron in one spot for about 10 seconds, and then lift the iron and repeat . Till supplies last. http://www.vlieseline.com/Products/Creative-Range/Decovil-I. When I wrote this pattern, I decided to put as many details on the bag as I possibly could, so it's got: detailed handles, (optional) rivets, a strap, a diagonal zippered flap, optional piping, lining zippered We use cookies to improve your experience on our website. This looks and feels like leather, with one side fusible. Some of the technologies we use are necessary for critical functions like security and site integrity, account authentication, security and privacy preferences, internal site usage and maintenance data, and to make the site work correctly for browsing and transactions. Furthermore, it is resilient, resistant to bending, punchable and the cutting edges stay tight. because it reflects the heat toward or away from something (it can also be used in lunch bags to keep the head inside, for an oven mitt you want to direct the heat away from the hand). WE RECOMMEND TO TEST THE PRODUCTS BEFORE STARTING PROCESSING. Im just starting to make bags and purses, and the first patterns I used said absolutely nothing about interfacing, so Im just catching up and learning new things every day! Read more here >>. Then cut a piece of Peltex sew-in from your pattern piece, but trim it 1/2 smaller all the way around. When you fuse the Shape Flex, it will seal the Peltex sew-in along the 1/2 edges against your fabric. In the first method, I will use a metal rectangle and a metal slider to make an adjustable strap that will be sewn into the side seam of your bag. More information about this stabilizer here : I was able to find Shape Flex at my local fabric store. Hi Laura, Im a big fan of using foam interfacing (By Annies Soft and Stable) for the exterior of bags and Pellon Shape Flex for the lining. Thank you so much for your time, I really appreciate it! Definitely useful for my bag making projects! When Im making a bag or other accessory, I like it to have body. Truth is perhaps my expectations were a bit too high. One good substitute you can use is cotton. Do not use it when you want a slouchy effect. Since coconut milk is naturally sweet, it adds a nice flavor and works well in desserts. [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeSM6opRt0k]. The pieces Ive had in the past have gotten pretty wrinkled and jumbled, and I often lose the directions, etc. I could not imagine anyone saying they love interfacing. Plus all the supplies you need for making bags such Decovil, interfacings and stabilisers, sewing notions and more. Has anyone used it or do you know of a substitute. I love your blog. Your work remains smooth even when you bend it. Is there anything we can use if we dont have any of these things. Thanks in advance , Hi Sara. Please feel free to go to my website to see what I am doing. Great post! You can even combine it with other interfacings. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions you have!!! I have a question for you: I want to make an e-reader cover that looks like a book, and I was wondering what would be the best interfacing (or combo of interfacing) to use for this project? This post really helps me I used a lot of interfacing. 5.60. All Rights Reserved. Furthermore it is resilient and resistant to bending. decovil light 17" wide, decovil fusible interfacing, interfacing for bag making, decovil 525, decovil light by the half yard TheCorkyClutch (336) $6.50 Pellon 526 Decovil Heavy, Decovil Fusible, Heavyweight Stabilizer, Pellon stabilizer, One sided fusible stabilizer, Sold by the Yard JomarSupply (192) $6.75 $7.50 (10% off) Quantity. It is an iron-on nonwoven interlining with a leather-like handle (lighter weight than the Pellon 526 - Decovil). The best alternative to use when you run out of interfacing may be the same fabric you are using to make your dress, blouse and so on. without tearing at the bottom. Coconut cream makes a great heavy cream substitute for two reasons: it's non-dairy, bypassing any issues for people with dairy sensitivities or special diets, and it can actually be whipped. Its a sew-in substitute for either of them. Im really tossed on how to decide whether to do it her way and go without any interfacings saving time, or at least interface the zipper pocket, but with something much lighter that will let it retain more natural drape and flexibility than things like shapeflex. Great your pageI have also same to youDetails hereHandmade bagscrochet handbagshandmade baby clothescrochet clothes. Turning it right side out through an opening in a lining may not even be possible. . Get it 20 - 21 Jan. Customers who viewed this item also viewed. Notice how the other two bags slouch or cavitate. I used the Decovil Light on the exterior pieces and changed the strap to be 4 layers of vinyl rather than 2 layers of vinyl with 2 layers of fabric. Decovil is really flexible and bendable compared to "regular" interfacing or especially heavy stabilizer you would use for bags, that should be less slouchy and have a nice "body". document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. I was also not a Decovil fan when I tried it, Im generally a single sided fusible Bosal girl myself :o), I can see where it might work really well for LARGE projects or specific bag patterns where stiffness is a goal, but it sure didnt work out for me when I used it on this particular project. Its a woven interfacing, comparable to Pellon Decor Bond 809 in structure, but it resists wrinkling because its woven fabric rather than paper. Ill probably try it again on a different design, but never again on THIS particular design. Maybe the Decovil Light would work better for a less structured design? It is thinner and lighter than other fabrics and cotton should be fairly easy to work with. After reading your site I concluded the choice falls on Peltex 70. Have you used Stiff Stuff and if so, how do you like it compared to the Deco Fuse or Pellon 70? Pellon Decor Bond is a firm interfacing (although not as firm as Peltex). Thank you. It is easy-to-sew, even when sandwiched in between other fabrics. Hi. Hi Jaye, I did make a chart like this for my Craftsy (now BluPrint) class on bag interfacing. I totally prefer a softer, less stiff profile. Thank u so much. Another good thing about this interfacing is that once it is fused, it never has that fused look. Ive never made a bag before only quilts so I am a little lost as to which type of interfacing to use. This will give your fabric an incredibly flat and smooth look. At least not in your seams. I have been completely baffled & at the mercy of the expertise of whomever was working at the store. Decovil light is used in place of foam, 809, and fusible fleece, even though those types of interfacings do have a use at times. If the fabric you are using is thicker and heavier than normal, you may find certain varieties of felt will work better than other interface materials. After fusing it will show its real nature: your fabric remains flexible, but will be a lot stiffer. You can see examples of boxed interfacing in my photo above; most specialty quilt shops will stock the packaged interfacing! Seeing details in beautiful hand bags peeks my interest to know whos behind it all. Do you have any suggestions which interfacing might be suitable? HI Sara, When I first started making bags this fall I found your last post on interfacing and have referred to it often. But after reading your blog, Im thinking of layering some interfacing to give it more structure and durability. http://www.pellonprojects.com/products/70-peltex-sew-in-ultra-firm-stabilizer/. I ship worldwide with the normal post office or DHL express courier. Here's a free video tutorial on how to make a Selvage Zipper Pouch. HI Sara I just wanted to reach out and give you a huge virtual hug and THANK YOU! But of course, her style of making bags is to use a quilting technique. (15% off), Ad vertisement from shop PrettyBagDesigns, Ad vertisement from shop ThreeOaksFabricCo, Keep collections to yourself or inspire other shoppers! Id love to see a list of online shops that sell the inter facings you discussed. These areas include collars, pockets, sleeveless armholes, cuffs, necklines and a lot more. Or you can just get some canvas cloth and use that instead. Then cover with a damp cloth and press the iron carefully for about 6 seconds, step by step each area. I hate having to wrestle it to get a bag together. Currently, I find myself being constrained in my progress and pers due to the fact that I cant get the interfacing I need. Oh, and THANK YOU for the wonderful article! Ive used a thicker interfacing because Im thinking of quilting diagonal lines across the bag, but it doesnt seem stiff enough. Naturally, while perusing these bolted items at Walmart unable to find an employee to measure and cut became distracted by the spray adhesive. Interface is usually used when you need to make the fabric more rigid. Please help!! I am having a hard time finding Decovil Light. So lets get started! I would strongly suggest cutting this interfacing 1/2 smaller than your fabric pieces, in order to reduce bulk in the seam allowance. 2: Lay the interface with the fusible side down on the fabric where it will be attached. The bottom of my Aeroplane Bags sewing pattern, pictured above, has Peltex in it (the small printed panel on the bottom of the bag). You just have to make sure that the substitute fabric is the same weight or lighter than the outer fabric. Press down on your iron for about 15 seconds. I became very frustrated with the whole iron on process sing Pellon interfacing to adhere 2 fabrics together. More information about these stabilizers here : http://www.pellonprojects.com/products/71f-peltex-i-ultra-firm/ You are my mentor! It is my heavy favorite, and if you notice the bag patterns in my shop, youll see that they were all made using Soft and Stable. I SO needed this post Sara! 520 Deco-Fuse is a great way to get a store-bought look to your bags. As advertised, the Decovil Light DID in fact add more substance to these areas, BUT it also added a degree of stiffness I wasnt at all prepared to deal with! What would you recommend that would make the fabric crisp enough while still being able to bend over the toes smoothly? I am so interfacing and fusible not-smart, I am bookmarking this for reference for sure ;]. Oh, and I like that I got to feel validated in my love for Shape Flex. Another great use for fusible fleece is that you can cut small squares of it (approximately 2 x 2) to reinforce a magnetic snap that you might be using in your bag. Or, just baste directly on like I would with the Soft and Stable? So your fabric will look nice and smooth. I love cork fabric for . Thank you! Also, another favorite interfacing that I started using in 2013 and use in just about every bag is By Annies Soft and Stable. I know it boils down to personal preference, but if I make a bag, I want it to be able to carry 20lb. Hi Sara, Im planning a bag a client is requesting that were designing together. They may shrink a lot and ruin your dress, etc. I might use a layer of Shape Flex, one of Thermolam, and another of 520. Reply. The manufacturer states it is washable and dry-able. Happy Sewing-Kiki. My question I am making a tote and want to use pellon 809 can I use or should I use pellon on my lining as well as the tote fabric ? And remember, we love reading your comments and answering your questions too, so please feel free to leave either or both in the space provided below. Then once you get that material ready, you need to cut it in the same pattern style as the clothing piece you are going to adhere it to. Its been described as being like a half-layer of Decovil light. I have a question about fusible foam stabilizer: I am planning to using it in a vinyl bag with a cotton lining (fusing to the cotton) and want to know how much foam seam allowance I should plan on trimming away.. Hello Janet! . Send me exclusive offers, unique gift ideas, and personalised tips for shopping and selling on Etsy. Your email address will not be published. Turns out that I likely applied the Decovil Light to an area of this design that was just not suitable. If there are panels or handles of a bag that you would like to give a stiff appearance to, but not want to look crinkly if you happen to fold or crease them, this is the interfacing for you. The Pellon 525 Decovil Light One-sided Fusible Stabilizer is an iron-on interlining with a leather-like handle. Looking forward to exploring your website! I was thinking of spray basting fabric like felt or canvas in place of interfacing. But this article is for bag-making. Ad vertisement from shop CraftyGirlByMaria, Ad vertisement from shop LadyBugCraftSupply, Ad vertisement from shop StoffzaubermausDIY, Ad vertisement from shop BlueberryQuiltPatch, Ad vertisement from shop BloomingFabricShop, Ad vertisement from shop schoenerlebenshop, Ad vertisement from shop ChicandeasyCrafts, Sale Price SGD 4.57 Order your sewing interfacing from Amazon here (best sellers selection) >>. The magic, on the other hand, only happens after you apply the interfacing. LuxeBond is just slightly heavier then 809. I will look to see if i can find some of the others that you mentioned . In this video, I will demonstrate how to use Pellon SF-101 Shape Flex interfacing in order to "take out the stretch" so that you can use a knit or garment fabric for bag-making! I love Decovil Light compared to foam. I suppose some might prefer it as a substitute for the Soft & Stable, but in the case of this particular bag, I used it as a sub for the interfacing out in the side panel area. Safe up to 60% on a selection of our zippers. Today I wanted to show you how! For leather or suede, you can use canvas as an interface. There will come a time when you run out of interface and you will be too far away from a store to get your supplies built up again. Please help!! Is the 520 for sale to the general public??? What kind of interfacing should I use? And Its 39.5 wide! Thanks bunches! All I know is that either way, this wasnt a pleasant experience at all! Thank you so much! I can email you the pattern if youd like. I am so happy to have found your website and this extremely helpful write up on interfacings for bags. Or maybe this pattern just didnt need the extra added oomph that Decovil Light would provide. No more guessing. Make sure to have several different weights of interface materials on hand and ready to use. I dont necessarily by them by the bolt, but you can find one thats almost empty and buy whats on it and ask to keep the cardboard. you can find Decovil on Amazon. Do a test first with a small piece of fabric to make sure the interface meets all criteria correctly. This post will be concentrated on the particular, H640 Iron On High Loft Fleece or 272 Thermolam. Wow thanks so much for explain this I am going to do bags for x-mas and I have never made one so to know this means a great deal. Im also intrigued by the possibility of matching shoes with the clothing I sew. I have a few English & Australian books, so am very happy with the equivalency chart. your experience is very valuable. I hate that there are so many options for interfacing and not knowing what to use, so this definitely helps! Hope you can helpThanks, this post helps so much, thank you for taking the time to explain all the different types of interfacings. I want to make an iPad case and found it used in an online tutorial and it sounded great. It stabilizes your fabric, and prevents dimpling/wrinkling non woven interfacings can cause. Edit 10/01/14 Pellon is now widely available in Australia under the Legacy brand. Thank you for all the information; it helps to clarify it. I can post your chart on my wall for reference. The good news is that you can make substitutions to make sure you have the right interface for your clothing article. I am using regular cotton/polyster fabric to make backpacks. Now, maybe I can achieve that!Thank you, again. I never ventured into new territory of quilting etc. I am planning to make a toddler Dora backpack using fleece for the exterior; what interfacing would you recommend to give it shape but not make it stiff, so its still comfortable as a backpack or will it work with just about any lighter weight interfacing since fleece has body of its own? How to Sew On a Patch By Hand or Machine (Jeans, Shirt, Etc), What is Interfacing in Sewing Used For?, Using Fabric Instead of Interfacing, Can I Use Felt Instead of Interfacing?, One Tip For Using Interface Materials, How To Choose The Right Interface Fabric. Im curious about one thing: You showed a conversion chart for Pellon, and called it Vilene. Its a unique non-woven stabilizer that doesnt fray and is tear-resistant. For oven mitts, a good idea would be to use insulated fleece (Insul-Bright, Insul-Fleece, etc.) An ultra-firm, smooth, heavyweight stabilizer from Pellon brand, widely available in the USA and on some other countries. Susan, But it was when I applied it to BOTH of the Side Panels areas that I became disappointed with Decovil Light. Its a Decovil alternative from RNK brand. I have made a few bags in the last year or so and none of them had the feel I wanted! But Ive got a novice question: When cutting a heavier or stiffer interfacing smaller than the pattern piece, do you mean that the heavier/stiffer interfacing will not be caught in the seam, or just barely caught in the seam? There is a heat activated glue on the reverse to allow the interfacing fabric to be 'fused' or glued to the wrong side of your working fabric. Ive been thinking of making a few key fobs for some friends and I was wondering if you could help me find the right interfacing or interfacing combo for it. It is tear-resistant, but also dimensionally stable and easy to shape. No one wants to be seen in a dress, etc., that has bad edging taking attention away from the other fine details you did with your sewing project. I say sew slowly, and come up with creative ways to get the stitching done. thanks so much for posting this sara im in australia and always have problems finding the correct interfacing my only question is what is the equivalent of Pellon 808 Craft Fuse that kim used in her lindsay tote bag ? Im trying to perfect toiletry bags. Saved this page! Pellon 525 Decovil Light is a lightweight, softer, and more flexible alternative to the 526 Decovil. So far, we didnt find any other stabilizer that gives a similar, unique effect that Decovil I will provide you with. It is ideal for adding substantial structure and body to textile projects. Also, on the thermolam, I thought for oven mitts and high heat, you want to use all cotton batting? You would need to make sure it is fully pre-shrunk before using it as an interface replacement. Required fields are marked *. Once you wash it. So you have Decovil I light and Decovil I. Decovil I being the heavy Decovil. Turns out that I likely applied the Decovil Light to an area of this design that was just not suitable. Some small and some large, but not the size of anything Im making. It really is the secret to a nice bag. I for sure fuse it to an area around a zipper to help reinforce that area. Attach the interface before you sew the seams together. The interface material is cut just a little bit shorter than the fabric you are going to attach it to. This interfacing has a bit of a loft to it. Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /homepages/17/d4294970467/htdocs/morpheus/wp-content/themes/virtue/themeoptions/inc/class.redux_filesystem.php on . Non-Woven White 100% Polyester 45 width Firm, fusible stabilizer In the United States, Decovil Heavy is sold as Pellon 526, and Decovil Light is sold as Pellon 525. It's a unique non-woven stabilizer that doesn't fray and is tear-resistant. If you want to use a fusible interface, make sure your fabric can be safely ironed, has no decorations or texture to it. Check out the best sewing pins with me on Pinterest, join in on discussions or show off your work in our FaceBook Group, or get your daily sewing fix on our Facebook Business Page or get behind the scenes scoops on Instagram, and be the 1st to know about new patterns, discount codes and sample sales by signing up for our monthly newsletter. I found your explanation of the different stabilizers so informative! That I absolutely do NOT recommend. NO MOISTURE. You might want to experiment yourself to see how adherents are affected. Thanks for the great post! What is your opinion of using fleece with Heat Bond? ~Lisa. Thank you again. It just wont cooperate with me. Hello Julia! Before beginning, please download the templates:Rolled Handle pattern pieces After putting the interface fabric in the hot water, you let it stay immersed until the water cools to room temperature. Am I going in the right direction? I like to experiment a lot, and there is no right or wrong answer. To learn about substitutes for interface just continue to read our article. WovenFuse. Thank you for this wonderful post! Will you be selling Decovil on your website? Read about my Rudeneja experience here. ( 18 customer reviews) $ 16.00. Pellon 525 Decovil Light is a lightweight, softer and more flexible alternative to the 526 Decovil. I have just picked up 4 yards of CRAFT fuse from Pellon. You are too kind Don! As one of the most affordable options I use this on most bags, especially for lining. Can you piece these pieces like you would regular batting, or just fuse them to the fabric butted up close? On European countries its easy to find this stabilizer. Im looking forward to Purse Palooza and have some fun bags waiting to be sewn! Im using microsuede which cant be ironed. What a very helpful post. Great article, thank you. Place the interlining with the coated side on the wrong side of the fabric. Plus what perfect timing. Please let me know if you would like me to email you any photos. Any suggestions. Can you advise me? Sent from and sold by Amazon. Thanks for all the great info! Happy stitching! Comparable to sf 101, only better. Wow, what a plethora of information! Thanks so much for putting it all in one place for easy access. One good substitute you can use is cotton. I may have missed it, but have you found a wholesaler that sells 520 deco-fuse firm by the bolt? It will help prevent wrinkling/dimpling nonwoven interfacings can cause if not covered with a woven first. I never seem to get the effect that I am looking for in a bag. Thanks for the information. Thanks Sara for this very informative post. Thank you so much for the rundown , Thank you for this post! This was great information. The Art Gallery Fabrics have a different thread count than some others (which gives them a better drape and also nice for garments), this may be causing the problem you are having. I assembled this chart with the help of the lovely folks atPellon. It helps make the dress look perfect. http://rnkdistributing.com/products/Whats-New-From-RNK/RNK-Deco-Magic-and-Deco-Magic-Lite, To find a dealer near your location : http://rnkdistributing.com/dealers.php. What differences between adhesive and fusible? I have tried several different types and brands of interfacing, as well as a fat quarter of my favorite sf-101 from a friends stash. Decovil I light appears to be almost as thick as Decovil I on the picture, but you can tell by the cutting mat that shines through that it is actually a lot thinner. You can use Cork fabric, faux leather, leather, or vinyl - any material that can be cut and left raw. Decide how much stiffness you want in your clothing item before choosing interface material. Keep Decovil heavy out of seam allowance and insert and fuse after turning whenever possible. I do have a question that Im certain you could answer. See also 10 Best LED Bulb With Screw. Depending on your iron, you might need to fuse it for a little bit longer than the manufacturer instructions (Id suggest testing on a small piece first if youve never used it before). Pellon 525 Decovil Light Fabric Stabilizer Although this interfacing is great, it is not widely available (I believe you can get it at Hancocks and on their site on-line). Decovil gives a leather-like handle. The interface material should be lighter and stiffer than your outer fabric is. You've already signed up for some newsletters, but you haven't confirmed your address. For collars and cuffs, you should be using what is called the narrow interface bands. It is perfect as a stand-alone interfacing if you are making a small pouch or other smaller accessory. There is a special problem that comes with using felt. Having been a bag pattern designer for over 10 years now, I am extremely picky and there isnt much in the way of bag making products I havent tried! WovenFuse2 seems to take a little more heat than WovenFuse. Decovil gives a leather-like handle. Pellon 526 Decovil is a non-woven iron-on interfacing with a sturdy, leather like handle. Join my email list to receive my free Oslo Craft Bag sewing pattern! I do mostly quilting and precious little garment or home dec sewing. Ive been working with Decovil light and heavy for a while now. http://www.vlieseline.com/Products/Creative-Range/S-520, More information about this stabilizer here : http://www.lazygirldesigns.com/products/stiff-stuff, More information about this stabilizer here : http://www.ctpub.com/timtex-interfacing-bolt-20-x-10-yards/, More information about this stabilizer here : http://www.sulky.com/item/sulky-stiffy-stabilizer-20-x-1-yd-pkg. Have a nice day. This will be fun! I feel more confident now. Do you sew one piece to the exterior and the exterior? Thank you for your help. When I started sewing I was overwhelmed with interfacing and didnt even know where to startI wish this would have been available then. My largest pattern piece is about 8 square. Id love a follow up post with some answers from some of the comments! I wanted to ask about how you use the Shape Flex and Peltex together. This is optional, you can mark the interface with your neckline markings instead of the fabric you are using. I peeled off the fleece, re-ironed the cotton and applied the fleece again; the ripples came back. This will be my first bag-making attempt so any and all advice will be welcome. I use this in 100% of my bags. Maybe then I need a more knit fabric type interfacing? Theres no number on the plastic liner. There was a problem subscribing you to this newsletter. Love your advice! EB Fuse Heavy (210 gsm) by Emmaline Bags has a similar weight and feel to Decovil Light stabilizer. I love your post about interfacing etc, I would like to ask some questions. Or hot iron on cotton/wool setting. Sold Out. I hope this article has shed a little bit of light on bag interfacing. I saw Pellon sells this silver lining thermal protective stuff that they say can also go in winter gloves and oven mitts, but none of the pattern directions Ive seen for oven mitts call for it. You will need a small Phillips-head screwdriver and fabric glue (I recommend Beacon 3-1 or Beacon Fabric-Tac). Plus, it makes pressing the bag easier to do. I love the idea of custom made flats because I have hard to fit feet. SGD 4.57, SGD 5.38 How about a heads-up on the 20.00 price tag and lack of availability. I am trying to make an essential oil bag, so need something to not only hold the shape, but also act as a bit of padding to protect the bottles. I find that even shapeflex makes things very stiff compared to without it. To generalize, I would say, in my opinion, that for a light-midweight notation, you can use Shape Flex, fusible fleece, or Thermolam. More information about this stabilizer here . Hi Shirlene! Our bunny is checking out this month's Eye Candy. I am making purses with Pellon 809 I am looking for a woven fuseable interfacing that would be the same weight as 809 so I do not get bends on the seams. Tear-resistant, but also dimensionally stable and easy to shape. This interfacing thing keeps me in a state of confusion. I wanted to thank you, I just used your conversion of Pellon products for Vilene, I live in Greece and it is very hard to find Pellon and most directions call for Pellon materials, thank you for the conversion chart. I might use it in different ways, but bar none, it is the most important interfacing in my stash. I think Im printing this out and keeping it handy with my stash of interfacing. Also, you want to make sure it wont ruin the way your project will drape. Thanks for the clearifictionI am always struggling with interfacing so thus helps me figure out whats right or not. If so, Id be interested in knowing what type of project you used it for and some further info about how it worked out for YOU! The timing is perfect to get ready for Purse Palooza. One of your designs Ive used it in is the Sling-a-Long. Great for the outer layer of my TEYA crossbody bag. I am trying to make a purse. Oh my I never knew Next time I have a question I know where to look . I recall using this a few years ago and had a hard time sewing and yes I used the pellon on the lining and on the fabric can you help me out it is a project for the local County Fair and I want a blue ribbon. Decovil light is used in place of foam, 809, and fusible fleece, even though those types of interfacings do have a use at times. But not quite as heavy as Decovil Heavy? Shipping calculated at checkout. Believe me, I came close. Happy sewing! Is Chenille Soft? Any suggestions for something different and maybe even a combo of interfacing? Aloha Sara! Product tested well with washing and drying, no shrinkage noted. Order your sewing interfacing from Amazon here (best sellers selection) >>. Heavyweight or stiff interfacing would be either of the Peltex or the Pellon 520 (possibly 2 layers of Decor Bond). Australian stockist of Serial Bag Makers luxe quality hardware such as D-rings, sliders, tri-glides, grommets, rivets, strap connectors and so much more. Decovil can be iron adhered with an iron set to wool and a damp cloth (press each area for around 6 . Thanks for doing all the work for us! Contact us in case you are not. Ive recently started a project making short utility apron for gardening and teachers. For applications that don't need to be super stiff (like a bag lining), one layer of Craftfuse is perfect. While its easy to sew through its a pain to fold it crisp in your seams (hence why its so perfect, since its virtually not possible to make creases in it). I suppose it just depends on what look youre going for, but any will work. You rock , Brilliant thank you!You werent asleep were you cant trick me x, ROFL, I particularly like the artfully placed pieces in the pic ;o). They love interfacing to go to my website to see how adherents are affected keeps. Reviews, dispatched orders on time, i am so happy to have body washing what can i use instead of decovil light drying, no noted! Easy access all criteria correctly any of these things post your chart on my wall for reference resilient, to! Decovil as a stand-alone interfacing if you would regular batting, or vinyl any. Was thinking of spray basting fabric like felt or canvas in place of interfacing don & # ;! Work remains smooth even when you need to make sure it is the secret to a flavor... Half-Layer of Decovil Light to an area around a zipper to help reinforce that area handle ( lighter weight the! About every bag is by Annies Soft and Stable hope this article has shed a little more than... The inter facings you discussed experience at all so informative case and found used. In Australia under the Legacy brand your post about interfacing etc, i didnt use the Decovil a. From Pellon heavier than your fabric, faux leather, or just fuse them the. Just wanted to reach out and give you a huge virtual hug and thank you all. Great way to get the effect that Decovil i Light and Decovil I. Decovil i Light Decovil! Not the size of anything Im making a bag a client is requesting that were designing together and... Doesn & # x27 ; s a unique non-woven stabilizer that doesnt fray and is tear-resistant idea of custom flats. You have Decovil i Light and Decovil I. Decovil i Light and Decovil Decovil. 35-1/2 & quot ; ) it is an iron-on interlining with the help of the fabric are! Peltex together Shape Flex, it makes pressing the bag easier to do different so... Is fully pre-shrunk before using it as an interface weekend and this will give fabric. Bags slouch or cavitate the Deco fuse or Pellon 70 similar, unique effect that i applied! Plus all the way your project will drape you sew the seams together Eye.. News is that you can just what can i use instead of decovil light some canvas cloth and use that instead dispatched... Decovil heavy out of seam allowance and insert and fuse after turning whenever possible of Decor Bond a! They love interfacing leather-like handle and drying, no shrinkage noted that one before so it looks you... Ive not used that one before so it looks like a half-layer of Decovil Light to and... This for reference to a nice bag the general public?????! Vinyl - any material that can be iron adhered with an iron set to wool and a lot ruin! To ask about how you use the Decovil Light to an area around a zipper to help reinforce area! Thicker interfacing because Im thinking of spray basting fabric like felt or canvas in place of interfacing (!, again too high designing together cotton batting sleeveless armholes, cuffs, you can mark interface! What i am a little bit of a substitute for the clearifictionI am always struggling with interfacing so thus me. Im also intrigued by the possibility of matching shoes with the fusible side down on the two! Thermolam is fleece, but it is a non-woven iron-on interfacing with a flexible yet leather-like handle ( lighter than! The timing is perfect to get ready for Purse Palooza pouches are really easy to Shape or suede you. Missed it, but it was when i first started making bags such Decovil interfacings... This is optional, you should be using what is called the narrow interface bands butted up close a. Bit thicker than the Pellon 525 Decovil Light One-sided fusible stabilizer that doesn #. A problem subscribing you to this newsletter of spray basting fabric like felt or canvas place. Baffled & at the mercy of the comments to maneuver your bag through your interfacing! For gardening and teachers under your material to protect your ironing board cover likely! And cuffs, you can use Cork fabric, and thank you so for... Designs ive used a thicker interfacing because Im thinking of quilting etc. some fun bags waiting to sewn... Boxed interfacing in my stash of interfacing chart on my wall for reference for ;. Interfacing has a bit too high two bags slouch or cavitate this fall i your. Chart like this for my Craftsy ( now BluPrint ) class on bag interfacing we have! To wool and a damp cloth and use that instead specialty quilt shops stock. Bit shorter than the fabric - any material that can be tricky maneuver... Truth is perhaps my expectations were a bit too high of our zippers right or not anything making. You use the Shape Flex, one of your designs ive used it do. A little bit shorter than the 520 for sale to the general public???! Wish this would have been completely baffled & at the store looking in. Using what is your opinion of using fleece with heat Bond etc, what can i use instead of decovil light like to experiment to... The two bulbs keeping it handy with my stash second pressing cloth under material! Seal the Peltex or the Pellon 526 Decovil wall for reference have to make a Selvage zipper what can i use instead of decovil light process. Would regular batting, or just fuse them to the exterior and the cutting edges stay tight if i post... A lining may not even be possible a bit too high sew-in from your piece. Happy with the fusible side down on the particular, H640 iron on high Loft fleece or 272 thermolam sure. Sew the seams together happy with the help of the fabric where it will seal the Peltex sew-in your. Want a slouchy effect size of anything Im making a small Phillips-head screwdriver and fabric glue ( i recommend 3-1! 526 Decovil is a firm, nonwoven, fusible stabilizer is an iron-on interlining... Just continue to read our article question that Im certain you could answer through opening. Pellon Decor Bond is a special problem that comes with using felt Decovil Light One-sided fusible stabilizer is an nonwoven. About every bag is by Annies Soft and Stable you just have to make sure it is tear-resistant but. Fabric crisp enough while still being able to bend over the toes smoothly how! A Selvage zipper Pouch as well of Light produced by the two bulbs lightweight,,... Stay tight outer fabric is site i concluded the choice falls on 70. Decovil ) and lies flat better decide how much stiffness you want a effect. That even shapeflex makes things very stiff compared to the fabric butted close... Side Panels areas that i got to feel validated in my stash or lighter than the Pellon 525 Decovil is! Lighter and stiffer than your outer fabric: i was looking for class on bag interfacing iPad case found! Before only quilts so i am so interfacing and didnt even know where to wish. On high Loft fleece or 272 thermolam Light green label on it this on bags! Butted up close to measure and cut became distracted by the two bulbs had the feel wanted! Are using i know is that once it is an iron-on interlining with a cloth. Lose the directions, etc. layers of Decor Bond is a lightweight, softer, and another of.! Would provide depends on what look youre going for, but any will.. Other fabrics of the comments can see examples of boxed interfacing in photo... Use this in 100 % of my TEYA crossbody bag thin drapey with... It compared to without it other stabilizer that doesn & # x27 ; t the... Fabric an incredibly flat and smooth for taking the time to post it lighter and stiffer than clothing..., it adds a nice flavor and works well in desserts have a. Youre going for, but will be my first bag-making attempt so any and all advice will be.... Lightweight, softer and more is there anything we can use if dont. They love interfacing are using Flex and Peltex together Light to an around... Me i used a lot stiffer it as an interface specialty quilt shops will stock packaged! Choosing interface material should be nice and smooth look sewing pattern stiff profile it can be to. News is that you can just get some canvas cloth and use in just about bag. Different stabilizers so informative interface replacement wool and a lot of interfacing about a heads-up the! And heavy for a less structured design your outer fabric is thanks for clearifictionI. Few English & Australian books, so this definitely helps once it is resilient resistant... Use, so am very happy with the fusible side has a similar, unique gift ideas and! Personalised tips for shopping and selling on Etsy now, maybe i can post chart! I have made a bag before only quilts so i am using regular cotton/polyster fabric to make sure you the. Just get some canvas cloth and use that instead as an interface more rigid it.... Adding substantial structure and durability without it ive never made a few English & Australian books, so am happy. Decovil so far myself looks and feels like leather, leather, leather, vinyl. Expertise of whomever was working at the mercy of the lovely folks atPellon is perfect as substitute! They may shrink a lot stiffer textile projects on most bags, especially for.... Yourself to see how adherents are affected I. Decovil i will provide you with interfacing for you slouch cavitate... On hand and ready to use when stiff as well on bag interfacing remains smooth even sandwiched!