If Shimoda were to add a large, stretchable water bottle pocket to one side of the bag (or both), though, that would be the best of both worlds. So, you are looking at the Shimoda bags and trying to figure out which bag is the best for you, the Action X or the Explore; which do you choose? But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience. So if photography takes you on great adventures and you want to keep your equipmentand yourselfin top condition, you need this bag. It feels really well made, has a nice finish, plus a lot of useful straps and pockets. Shimoda also makes a carry-on roller bag that opens with large jaws like a doctors kit. Laptop compartment dimensions (cm): 25.5W x 38H x 2D. I shoot with the z6 and one of the lenses I carry is the 200-500 f5.6 nikon and trying to figure out if it would fit in the x50? If it's raining particularly hard, water will start to soak through that area (although your back likely will block the worst of it). In addition to that, there is a multifunctional strap system on the back of the pack that you mention that can also be used but was designed for carrying sports equipment primarily. Do you know anything. The Adventure 60 manages all that quite well. There are a lot of ways specifically designed to store sports related gear and I really appreciate the thought that went into that. The big thing to keep in mind with these packs is if you run a mirrorless setup or carry larger DSLR systems or even larger video equipment while some of this is decided by the size of the bag, the Core Units play a considerable role in what you need to carry. Or, if your water bottle is small enough, maybe you could fit it within the zippered opening itself, although it wouldnt fit especially well. Watch the video Shimoda posted on their youtube about camera side access, they explain it better but I really appreciate that it's right side access instead. Essentially, you can attach a strap from one side of the bag to the other, but also divide it in half if you want to separate the left and right sides. Thank you for the review! Shimoda Core Units come in two sizes and include a fabric overwrap that keeps dust out and can be used to convert the Core Unit into a lightweight shoulder bag. The Shimoda Action X30 with a medium core unit has served me quite well. is not a feature designed to carry a tripod. Thanks for subscribing. Its true that the straps sit a bit loose in their loops, since its a removable design, but they dont inherently feel flimsier as a result. The build was done with palpable precision and exactness. If you do have a water bladder, theres a built-in system that lets you thread the tube conveniently to the right-hand shoulder strap, just like a typical hiking backpack. Yes there is a half-inch triangular mesh section on the bottom of each holder. Theres a thin (removable) fabric divider between the two sections, and that makes a huge difference. You can save a further 10% on your order in the Shimoda store by using the coupon code ShutterMuse10. The Carry On is essentially the same as the previous roller Shimoda offered, but improves durability and adds new 100mm wheels, which provide more clearance from the ground and are both smoother and quieter than the first-generation roller bags. You can open the back of this bag all the way so that you can easily pack it and both the divider sections and top compartment can be removed should you want to use it as a normal rucksack. all good and great! You can look back and see my review of the original Explore 30 here. PL provides various digital photography news, reviews, articles, tips, tutorials and guides to photographers of all levels, By Spencer Cox 19 CommentsLast Updated On February 26, 2018. LIMITED QUANTITIES: 85 Available. We make Adventure Camera Bags for Photographers. Is it really more water resistant then the Think Tank. None of these are fatal weaknesses, at least for my uses, but some are more bothersome than others. This website uses cookies to improve your experience. Without a doubt, there are options, but the setup Id prefer a mesh pouch on the side of the bag isnt available at the moment. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. The other option is to get a hiking backpack, which works for longer hikes, but wont let you access your gear as easily (or potentially protect it as well). This is essential for small video crews who still need to haul decent gear deep into nature. There is no denying the Shimoda Explore V2 is an incredibly well-made bag, catered towards landscape photographers who may need to hike a long way. ULTIMATE BUYER'S GUIDE THE WORLD'S BEST BACKPACKS CURATED IN ONE SPOT. Overall, I give the bag top marks for comfort. If you were to hike with this pack in a warmer climate or you generally run hotter while hiking I think this pack would make you sweat more. Jeff, the X50 should fit the lens with no problems. Shimoda Designs is an adventure camera bag company designed as a reaction to real world adventures rather than those imagined from a comfortable office environment. I take it you didnt receive the top loader add on to review, but do you have any thoughts on this? It provides access to its contents via top, side and rear openings, and has a unique floating lid that offers perfect storage for immediate grab items. If you mean internally? The Plastic Bag Store is a custom-built public art installation and film experience designed to encourage visitors to think more about the enduring impact of single-use plastics. We usually shy away from items that are not yet available at retail, but Shimoda already has an outstanding USA distributorMAC Groupthe folks who bring us Tenba, Induro, Phottix, Sekonic and many other popular brands. They can be pulled through the small zippered opening on each side pocket door and then the pocket door can be zipped shut. It also includes some nice aesthetic touches such as tan leather zip tags, a smooth leather look finish and unlike most bags, the inside lining is a bright blue color which, although I don't love, makes a nice change from grey. Last updated July 23, 2021. There are also new additional handles on the Explore series. (Number 6061 is the identifier of a structural aluminum alloy; the T6 version of 6061 is specially tempered for strength and other high performance characteristics.). If you tend to shoot a little of both, I would choose the Action X as you can carry the sports equipment when needed, but you could still carry the camera gear no matter what you are shooting. So I can see how water could get in but not how anything else stored in the other pockets behind the door could fall out unless the item is stored in the pocket on the back side of the door and is really small. New York, The rear panel is the one area where youll find some compromises. The main backpack is precisely that, a pack. It has a lot of incredibly useful and intuitive features such as an easy-access pouch on the shoulder strap for your water bottle, plenty of pockets to keep small items, multiple ways of attaching a tripod to the exterior and an easy-access zip so you can get to your equipment without taking the bag off completely. Both packs feature a fully adjustable harnessincluding torso height adjustmentand have well-designed shoulder straps that help balance the weight comfortably across the wearers chest. $34.00 . Privacy Policy. Billed as the perfect bag for travel, adventure, and landscape. Shimoda Designs backpacks all feature a ladder of nylon webbing attachment points giving users three inches of adjustment for the shoulder straps, a feature not found on most camera packs. - 1 Set of Accessory Straps. I read on another review of this bag by a mtb photog that the medium dslr core unit would also fit this bag so maybe a gripped body would be feasible. Shimoda improved on something that I did not think was possible; their harness system. Based on my usage I think it would be a tough decision for me between the X30 and X50 bags. I did not but I do think it looks very interesting. This is a much improved design over the Explore series. Once in a while a bag comes along with features that blow apart my sophisticated chart. You can even adjust their height to match your torso, which isnt something Ive ever seen on a camera backpack before. You can configure the pack to carry both skis and snowboards. But for all I can tell right now, the construction does seem sturdy, and the stitching between the loops and bag doesnt show any signs of breaking. I found this useful for carrying my rain jacket but it does mean you can't use the side straps for a tripod at the same time. The Action X bags seem to continue that standard in the same way. I will venture to say that the harness on the Shimoda bags is one of the most comfortable and well thought out in the industry. This week I'm excited to let you know that we have set up a new deal with Shimoda Design to bring you all a nice 10% discount on their outdoor photography bags and . Shimoda Explorer 60 and Explorer 40. My photos have been displayed in galleries worldwide, including the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History and exhibitions in London, Malta, Siena, and Beijing. The Shimoda Explore 40 pack is designed to be used as a daypack. Yes, that is fair, I did pick the most exaggerated figure I found for that sentence it flowed better! Although both the Explore and Action X have dedicated sleeves for a water bladder with hose routing. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. ." Inside dimensions (cm): 28.5W x 53H x 19D Both backpacks are 11.4 inches wide. I was able to pack 2 DSLR bodies and 3 lenses including my 70-200mm without any issues. Currently, Shimoda is working on a Kickstarter to bring this bag, as well as a few others, to market. The base fabric should be good in all but the most extreme scenarios, and I dont think a rain cover would help much to block the back padding. The alternative is to use a separate carabiner system to attach a water bottle holster to the side of the bag, or use the built-in option on the shoulder strap (or the external pouch). Something could fall out if you forgot it was in there and water might get in if in heavy rain. But when youre picking a fully loaded bag off the floor by one shoulder strap to throw onto your back, I can imagine a lot of stress there. There's a single, slim accessory pocket on the front of the bag that is suitable for a couple of spare batteries and an SD card holder. New Reader Deal: Save 10% On Shimoda Bags. Especially if you wanted to use it in a more urban area. $49.00 + $10.00 shipping . They are the first bags Ive ever encountered with the stated purpose of improving the health and fitness of the user. I dont shoot mirrorless but the X30 has a ton of room for its size and still remains slim and sleek looking when packed. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. Such was the interest that the company was quickly picked up by MAC Group Europe and now the Shimoda photo bags arrive in the UK. This bag has a ton of features both new and returning. I really like this bag. Equipment is divided and protected by your choice of two sizes of modular Core Units and three sizes of Accessory Cases. The bottom is now the same as the Action X line. May 27 Update: We decided to spend the day in Boston on Saturday and I packed up the Shimoda 30 with my 16-35/4, 24-105/4, 24/1.4, 85/1.8, and Canon 200/2.8. Add to Cart + wishlist Ways to Save 5% OFF Every Day with Adorama Edge Credit Card Get Reward Points Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. Introducing Shimoda, a line of photo backpacks that demand a whole new classification. I talked to the designer and they said it wouldn't fit very well and wasn't designed for it. The bag is made from the same highly durable and water-resistant resin-coated nylon as our backpacks. UK MAINLAND ONLY 325.00 Colour: Required Black Army Green Female customers have the option of choosing a set of Women's Straps below to be included with their order at no charge None Shimoda Shoulder Strap - Women's Simple Petite - Blue Nights Shimoda founder Ian Millar. The fabric looks and feels just like any other high quality, ripstop weave but delivers unsurpassed water repellency and durability. Unless I have my full water bladder system set up, I just put the bottle in the top internal section of the bag. Also, the bag as a whole carries weight excellently its almost indistinguishable from a traditional hiking backpack, although I do wish that the shoulder straps were a bit farther apart (which is more of a personal comfort issue than something that applies to everyone; it depends upon your build). Thats where companies such as F-Stop Gear and Gura Gear jump in with something in between hiking bags built around carrying cameras. The X30 is specifically designed for someone who doesn't want nor use a gripped body. As mentioned it is clearly designed for smaller mirrorless systems. Share this project. Yet this has become so vital to dealing with the creatures policing the tortue node that used to be called airline check. Below are some of the reasons I think it is one of the best bags on the market: Well built rugged design Comfortable. Only when the mesh is stowed does it zip shut. Second, its very obvious that all materials were selected for durability as well as performance. Overall size is very similar. I use one in my hiking backpack, thats a good compromise to carry camera and lenses without breaking the bank. Based on the photos, Im not sold on the Shimodo. One staff member can even be heard saying that she wanted to give Vargas a hug and take a picture of him. NYA-EVO Fjord 36. Other than that? All the straps have tie downs so you arent left with loose straps dangling. With its comfortable, adjustable straps and breathable mesh fabric, it's perfect for hiking and has two separate compartments - one for personal items and snacks and one for your camera gear with solid dividers to keep it safe. On the positive side: This bag is awesome at dividing up space. "The only downside I see with it is that when the mesh bags are in use the zippered pocket is left open for it to hang out. Explore More. Another big benefit is that the internal camera units that Shimoda sells are perhaps the best combination of size and sturdiness that Ive seen in the photography world. Carry-On Camera Bags One of the two sides (the left side, if youre wearing the bag) does open to a couple loops that, in theory, you could use to attach a water bottle holster via a couple carabiner clips. A lot of photographers asked for a smaller bag for smaller camera systems so they made 3 bags in the series for 3 different sized camera systems. I have minor nitpicks here and there, but theres really nothing else that struck me as profoundly negative. You might also like the Shimoda Action X50 backpack (opens in new tab). The X30 I reviewed packaged with a mirrorless core unit and a rain cover will be available for $250. All orders are custom made and most ship worldwide within 24 hours. The Shimoda Adventure 60 is an ambitious bag. For example, Shimoda advertises side access, and thats true but only if you put one of the small internal camera units facing sideways, which causes it to fit poorly in the bottom section of the bag (its too small in that dimension, making it more likely to rattle around and not sit with perfect stability). So, out of these options, how do I carry water with this bag? By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. So, Im afraid I cant answer perfectly. One of the most visible is the loop that lets you attach a wide array of equipment to the front of the bag: a tripod, snow shovel, pickaxe, and anything you can think of. This difference is evident from the outset with the bag being a bare-bones modular system. The X30 could easily make a good small video kit or travel setup for urban shooters. Explore v2 35L SHELL ONLY - GREEN. For some people, a book-style opening could indeed be a better fit than a drawbridge style. This is a sponsored article and Shimoda Design made available to me a pre-release demo model for my testing. The answer goes back to something I mentioned earlier the water bladder holder. Shimoda makes bags for photographers who plan to take long, multi-mile hikes and need something that can support equipment as well as essentials. The pouch can secure a tripod on the side of the backpack or it can be mounted to your chest with the included straps and act as a drop-in holster. Having studied Journalism and Public Relations at the University of the West of England Hannah developed a love for photography through a module on photojournalism. Shimoda Designs is an adventure camera bag company designed as a reaction to real world adventures rather than those imagined from a comfortable office environment. "They were just all hugging me and thanking me and crying, and I get free McDonald's . The rest of the bag also has a solid build. This helps slim down the overall size of the pack and keeping the weight close to the body. Thats what I did here: The specific feature thats noteworthy here, though, is a loop that lets you thread the straps through to the other side. The only pouch on the bag meant to hold a water bottle is on the shoulder strap, which is an especially odd place to put it, in my opinion. Great review Michael, Would this pack be able to carry a snowboard as well or just skis? Page. So Shimoda has their Explore v2 on Kickstarter. Just the thought of filling it with everything I needed for a full day of walking and shooting made my back ache, but I was pleasantly surprised by how comfortable it was and how evenly the weight was distributed across my torso. For me, this goes right to the biggest issue with the bag as a whole a water bottle pouch. Zippers are all YKK, the best brand you can buy, and the nylon shell is coated with carbonate ether resin on the outside and on the inside. This really is an intuitive bag designed to be used while hiking or in the outdoors. Ill get into all that below. I'll try to make that happen soon. It certainly meets the standard set by other waterproof camera backpacks. It's also worth noting that if you're a woman, when ordering the bag online you can opt for a women's shoulder strap in three different styles for no extra cost. Shimoda is hi. Below is my review, along with the pros and cons of this intriguing new backpack. It has a lot of conveniently placed secure pockets, straps that are easily adjustable and an easy-access side pocket so you don't have to take off completely the bag every time you want to take your camera out. Based in Boston, MA he combines his passion for outdoor sports like climbing and surfing into his work. With 5 years experience working with studio lighting, Hannah has run many successful workshops teaching people how to use different lighting setups. Hey Michael, If youve ever used an F-Stop Gear backpack, youll know that they have a drawbridge opening style, where the rear panel opens from top to bottom. and our Carryology delivered. Per Shimoda founder Ian Millar, Shimoda products are designed as a reaction to real-world adventure each feature and component is a response to Team Shimodas collective past experiences. Frankly speaking, I hear this type of claim a lot, and in many instances its hyperbolic wishful thinking. 6870 Heritage Run Rd was last sold on Jan 9, 2023 for $427,518 (0% higher than the asking price of $427,518). There are gear loops on the waistband perfect for attaching climbing gear. So I looked at the Shimoda ICU and the F stop ICU and came away with the same thought as jcohron, The F stop looked much more substantial than the . Free shipping . But even with that organizer in place, The Shimoda has better thought out and more accessable small pockets. The Shimoda Designs Explore 60 is going make for some healthy competition in higher-end packs for outdoor . I went to see the Shimoda Explore 30 in person recently because I am on the hunt for a female-friendly backpack with adjustable shoulder harness height. The X30 and X50 are both pretty close to the dimensions of the TT pack. Callaway was a significant investor in Topgolf before acquiring the company in 2021 for . I suspect Id be happier with the X50 for the type of work I do and the gear I carry, but I cant deny the agility and compact fit you get with the X30. It was lightweight, durable, well thought out, and insanely comfortable to carry. Shimoda initially launched through Kickstarter reaching their funding goals in just 30 hours. The hip straps on this backpack are not especially rigid theyre primarily padding. It has better access to camera equipment than any hiking bag Ive ever used, and a high level of comfort and overall quality, too. Of which the X30 was the only one I had hands-on time with. To request warranty service, contact our Customer Service team at [email protected], or call +44 (0)1902 255500. Warranty covers Shimoda bags only; customer accepts responsibility for determining suitability and fitness for use, and therefore consequential damages are not warranted. But am unsure if F-stop still has issues with fulfilling orders? The Explore V2 has several new organizational features that make this a stellar option when looking for a new camera pack. Additionally, there is a zippered entry into the top compartment similar to most traditional hiking packs with two mesh zippered pockets. You can read our review of the Explore 60 by Mike Wilkinson here. The Adventure 60 also has a few other noteworthy features: a safety whistle on the sternum strap, a water bladder system, a laptop sleeve, and several loops in various areas to let you hook on other accessories. Well done. So Millar and his team redesigned the side pockets to have two stowable mesh pockets that can double as either water bottle holders or additional support for tripod legs. There is an added handle at the base of the pack to aid in handling the pack if the rear panel is open or just for extra support. Given that you often have to purchase the ICU and rain cover separately from most companies this makes the price much lower than competitors. For me, a bag is comfortable when it gets a few things right: the shoulder straps, waist strap, and back padding. Explore V1 came in a 30/40/60L, whereas the second version comes in a 25/30/35L selection. However, I know very little about Shimoda and can't find the same level of info as I can on the Prvke. Sometimes you don't need the extra water and weight of a bladder system. Accessibility is the greatest strength of the Adventure 60, but, in some ways, also a weakness. Also why all these designers design bags with tiny side access not suitable for gripped cameras. Personally, I would rate these bags as solidly better than the F-Stop Gear equivalents and, by extension, most other hiking/photo bag combos on the market. This sizing works for those who carry a smaller kit when traveling or shooting to fit in carry-on compartments. So, if you straddle the line between hiking and photography, and youve had a hard time finding a good product for your needs, take a solid look at the Shimoda line. All the zippers are YKK with almostall the external zippers being water sealed number 5s and the back panel zipper being the larger number 10 style. This vertical adjustment accommodates various torso lengths further boosting comfort for heavy hauling. I have always used a hiking backpack, and giving up the convenience of accessibility. Personally, though, I wish that Shimoda stuck with the F-Stop Gear style of a drawbridge opening for a couple reasons: I would prefer the drawbridge style, personally. Shimoda has become known for producing stellar backpacks with fantastic harnesses that are comfortable to carry fully loaded for long periods. Overall the Shimoda Designs camera bags are some of the best on the market. It is worth noting that I have a super efficientcamping setup specifically designed for light single person trips. On paper it does look like it fits my needs, and I like the looks better than the Prvke. Shimoda make the "best" bags? Zippers and Pulls. Shimoda Accessory Cases come in three sizes. Both backpacks are 11.4 inches wide. The original Explore backpack was Shimoda Designs' first product. For years Ive evaluated camera bags, photo backpacks and other camera carry solutions using a multi-point matrix that considers characteristics like comfort, durability, accessibility and protection. Several years back, Shimoda Designs showed up and brought a new adventure camera bag to the market. Just curious: Do the water bottle holders on the side have a hole in the bottom for rain water to drain out? - 1 Explore v2 35L Backpack in GREEN. Shimoda bags are made to perform and look great for years, but signs of normal wear are to be expected with any fabric product, and are not covered by warranty. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Most bags are made from some form of durable nylon and waterproofing but this stuff just looks and feels invincible to the elements. Promising entry into the adventure photography arena. The roll top really makes storing more so much easier while giving you a way to slim down the bag when not needed. You can carry the Shimoda Top Loader four different ways: 1. The two biggest factors for me when looking for an adventure type backpack like this are comfort while carrying a lot of gear and the ability to carry not just my camera kit but the essential gear for the environment or sport I'm shooting. Theres a new company on the scene, too: Shimoda Design. It is made from the same material and at the same quality level so that makes me excited to get a better look at the design of it. Its not too bad, but it does mean I need to take off the bag each time in order to open the top compartment and access my water bottle. Its true, there are so many bags out there today. Thanks! I'm often hiking in the mountains (multiple days) and haven't found a comfortable(!! What else could Shimoda have put here instead? Outdoor camera bags designed for hiking and adventure sports are quickly becoming a highly competitive although still a niche market. I like an adjustable torso, which is why I currently use a Mindshift Firstlight. Lots of small clever design elements went into getting more use out of easily accessible spaces. every two weeks. Personally, I would prefer that rather than a thin zippered compartment that contains two loops for an external pouch! I have reviewed 3 hiking backpacks recently including this one which all have specific features designed to carry a tripod. There is a 15 inch laptop sleeve on the panel itself. I know Shimoda makes good packs, as does F-stop. The latter are of enormous value for organizing and packing flash, cords, cards and other accessories even if you dont own a Shimoda photo backpack. Even landscape and wildlife photographers often need to carry extra layers and food for a long day. Ships to Anywhere in the world. While thinner than the RCI cases, they still have enough padding to . I have owned several backpacks with just such straps that very successfully allow a tripod to fall out while wearing the thing. So after launching the Action X series, the brand is back with the improved Shimoda Explore V2 series. My question to you, Spencer, is whether you think the way the shoulder straps secure to the back panel is a durable design or not? The only downside I see with it is that when the mesh bags are in use the zippered pocket is left open for it to hang out. Any news on financial Health of the company. I often find that camera rucksacks are geared towards men in how they look and how they fit so it's refreshing to find one that looks stylish but is also comfortable and adapted for a woman too! When not traveling or outdoors he is often found geeking out over new tech gadgets. Cookie Notice With their new series of bags, Shimoda Design is trying to show that they have worked with outdoor photographers on what is needed and listened to their customer's feedback. (Image: Hannah Rooke / Digital Camera World), We check over 250 million products every day for the best prices. When worn, the hip belts are carrying most the weight, and there would be little tension on the shoulder strap attachment. Is it completely storm-proof? Only you can decide if it meets your gear need, but quality and comfort are top grade in my opinion. There's a new player on the market for adventure camera backpacks. The pocket doesn't connect to the inside of the bag and is covered well even though it is open. All orders are custom made and most ship worldwide within 24 hours. If nothing else this approach and continuing to get design feedback from working photographers makes these bags worth considering. Manfrotto Kata Camera & Tripod Bag Padded Photography Backpack Made in Italy . They were well made but ultimately uncomfortable on longer hikes due to the inadequate hip belt (at least on the loka model that I own). 9. You can throw an extra lens in the top compartment and know that it wont slip down and bump against other equipment. The pockets have more than enough room for even a full-size tripod, are 8 inches deep and can be synched down tight on both the top and the bottom. You can be sure that no matter which one you purchase, the bag will fit what you carry and will be one of the most comfortable bags that you wear, even fully packed and for long periods of time. A full DSLR kit might be a bit lopsided for that sort of thing, but Ive found it to be quite comfortable with my D800 and 20mm f/1.8 lens, or similar. Since many companies have risen to meet that expectation but there is still room for improvement and there is still a more comfortable bag to be had. Like many of the best camera backpacks (opens in new tab), there are lots of pockets on the outside so you can carry a tripod or water bottle and smaller pockets are really useful for storing things like spare batteries, memory cards or even a compass if you're a serious hiker. Great review Michael, this pack does seem extremely well thought out. Hi Timothy, The pocket doesn't zip shut if the mesh pocket is being used. where are shimoda bags made. TaylorMade's investment in the golf-entertainment venue space isn't unique for a golf equipment company. If you're looking for a bag to take around the city with you, this is probably overkill but for landscape photographers who end up hiking for hours at a time, it's absolutely perfect. That is, I have yet to see f-stopers, or anyone else, review a backpack for photographers. I made a recent video talking about how I hate the quick access on the right side of the bag. . One problem: The water bladder compartment is on the front of the bag the same area that your tripod (or snow shovel, or pickaxe) will be bouncing around as you hike. Hi Spencer, Any chance you will at some point review their carry on roller style bag. You cant dunk it underwater, of course, but the fabric is highly water resistant. There are no side pouches on this bag to hold a water bottle. Same goes for the rear panel opening. Inside, the spacious main compartment has a partition system that forms an optional bottom section that enhances the ability to organize this backpack's contents when used with either . Michael DeStefano is a commercial/editorial photographer focusing on Outdoor Lifestyle and Adventure. Shimoda felt a better adventur camera bag was needed so they made one, designed as a reaction to real-world adventure, with bags that have the flexibiltiy to adjust to any situation serious . That decision perplexed me, so I reached out to Ian Millar, founder of Shimoda, to hear his comments. I have Fstop Tilopa following you reviews os Fstop and would like to continue buying but little concerned about continuing health? I was looking into the Prvke 21L with the camera insert, and the Explore v2 30L with the mirrorless medium insert. The other significant change on the V2 is the amount of organization that you have with the pack. Heres how it works. Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. The zippers are large enough not to jam easily, with tabs made out of leather. So why do Shimoda photo backpacks burst the confines of the matrix I normally use to evaluate camera carry solutions? I am. Im a big fan of bags with side pocket access, as being able to grab a camera quickly without taking off the bag is always useful. I understand Fstop was close the wall in 2016. There are lots of times I just don't connect my waistband while hiking and having them flap around gets annoying. The pocket doesn't connect to the inside of the bag and is covered well even though it is open. One reads that Shimoda are getting tis product out but I find the lack of vital information irritating. This is the third bag size in Shimoda's Explore series, that aims to be a fully modular bag system, letting you choose bag size, different interior camera modules and accessories according to your specific needs. Personally? Look out for an email asking you to confirm your subscription to Carryology. I also wish the mesh pockets could be removable. Also in reference to Marks comments, if you can't see that this pack can carry a pretty good sized tripod then maybe you need to get your eyes checked.. Yeah you can use the back panel straps to carry a snowboard no problem. Shimoda photo backpacks are remarkable for three reasons: design, materials and construction. Without trying it myself I'd say the side pocket definitely wouldn't fit a gripped camera as my 5d ungripped is tight to get out. Your inbox. . H2O Port: NYA-EVO - 0, SHIMODA - 1. Shimoda now includes a rain cover with the Explore series. Still, this isnt the type of thing I can tell you for certain after a brief one-month test. The first thing to consider is what you primarily shoot and what kit you need to achieve the result. Ive been using the Adventure 60 for just over a month, and Ill do my best to address anything you want to know. If you're looking for a pack to suit those needs, Shimoda makes the Explore 60 which more resembles a trekking bag. The Explorer 40, a 40-liter backpack, is the smaller of the two, but only about two inches shorter than the Explorer 60 (60-liter) standing at 22.4 inches. The designers at Shimoda changed the face fabric of the harness system from coated nylon to mesh, giving the user a far more breathable carry system when in hot/humid climates or on long treks. A lot of thought went into how to carry both a tripod and sports equipment more efficiently. This is one of the most versatile systems I have seen on a backpack. *Women can choose their shoulder strap on the next page. Still, its a workable solution. In a huge rainstorm, its possible that parts of the bag wont block out 100% of the water (mainly the padding that touches your back, if enough water soaks through). Save 33 % Shimoda Booster Strap Set Special Price $16.72 Regular . Its evident from the form and fit, and even from the seemingly minor features like dedicated pouches on the shoulder straps for food and phone. Combined with the separation between the top and bottom compartments, the Adventure 60 is great for sorting your gear efficiently. Two of the more common complaints from the Explore series was the lack of any way to carry a large water bottle and the compartment design for non-camera storage at the top of the bag. does it come in white (or light gray or any other bright colors) too? Maybe we have different definitions of store/carry? Even though the overall more boxy design of the bags can sometimes make them seem bulkier, the interior design and external features make for a much more customizable experience. Some of you have sent me Shimoda's reasoning behind putting it. All packs including traditional hiking ones should be incorporating these straps. Sure thing! In order to make the waist strap removable this time itis connected directly onto the back panel. All told, the bag weighed 15 lb. Two, you can no longer open the back panel while wearing the pack on your hip and spinning it in front of you. If you do a lot of hiking and long-distance treks as a photographer, you might have some difficulty finding a good backpack to carry your equipment. The taller Explorer 60 is 24 inches tall and less than one inch greater in depth (11 inches vs. 10.2). And as always, we physically have Shimodas finished products in our hands for full inspection and assessment. By threading the top and bottom straps through this center loop, I can put one tripod leg on either side and ensure that it doesnt slide around while hiking. It comes with a waterproof cover which fits snuggly over the bag (even when a tripod is attached to the exterior). And it only transforms into a camera bag once the core units are installed. Final Thoughts. Josh, your comment is accurate. If you need a pack that you can travel easily with and are carrying a simple kit, the Explore Series is more up your alley. In addition to new backpacks, Shimoda has also launched updated roller bags: the Carry On and a new DV (Digital Video) version. The X30 version is designed for use with the medium sized mirrorless core unit. This backpack works quite well for what I do. It is clear that Shimoda is listening to the pro photographers they are working with. One, when opening the back panel the straps flap around or need to be held in place. The camera units from F-Stop Gear, for example, are far less streamlined, with excess padding that makes it harder to fit as much equipment easily. Thanks Spencer, do you recommend using any raincovers or even with that the back will not block? Shimoda founder Ian Millar is a lifelong explorer, snowboarder and product designer known for developing some of the most innovative camera bags in the world. Shimoda bags are made to perform and look great for years, but signs of normal wear are be expected with any fabric product, and are not covered by warranty. These cookies do not store any personal information. Hope that helps! This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. u know: white or lighter shades of most colors reflect sunlight, thus heat, back better A Review of MindShift Gear's Newest Series of ROTATION 180 Adventure Backpacks, Review Of The New UL (Ultralight) Loka Backpack From F-Stop Gear, We Review the New Shimoda Explore V2: A Travel-Ready Backpack for Creators, Is This the Only Camera Bag You'll Ever Need? Despite my initial apprehensions about this bag, it's actually really grown on me. Shimoda Designs is an adventure camera bag company that thrives on real-world adventures and lifelong exploration. Suppose you need to carry external equipment such as ice axes, rope, skis, snowboards, or other equipment. I decided to use the shoulder and sternum straps only as that was how I envisioned using the backpack for future urban adventures. Its a cleverly hidden design that allows for the pocket to be usable even when the mesh is stowed, keeping the bag slim and clean looking. Shimoda makes several versions to get an even better fit including a set with thicker padding for heavier packs and a set specifically designed for women by female photographers in the field. The critical elements are a well designed and beautifully made rucksack and an internal padded camera compartment (Core Unit) available in a range of sizes. A grocery store featuring thousands of faux food items made entirely from discarded plastic bags opens Tuesday to the public, an artist's non-edible creation calling attention to the dangers of plastic waste. The Adventure 60 is an excellent backpack. Shimoda. A tripod is a common photography tool and any backpack maker designing a backpack for photographers should design it specifically carry a tripod - not random items like skis - but so far as I can determine, none do. Useful or gimmicky? These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. So, then, how does Shimoda expect hikers to bring along their one liter per hour? That is a lot of water to carry for a full day hike! That is pretty impressive for the smallest of the three bags. This has two downsides. With all of the new features on the Explore series, from the latest organization to breathable straps and reinforcements, these bags will last you for many adventures to come. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. Learn how. Trying to find a case that it fits in is hard. That was my biggest issue with the V1, the lack of organization. It certainly works for certain bottles, depending upon their size and shape. These straps on both the side and back are not typical stra[s but are made from a rubber-like material and are no-slip. Unless youre planning for a multi-day trek, and the weather looks like it will be especially bad, I wouldnt bother. It would strongly surprise me if they start to rip or tear, at least in the foreseeable future. Shimoda Camera Bags; Shimoda Camera Bags. Where to Buy (and save 10%) The Shimoda Accessory Pouch is available from the Shimoda store for $22.95 . Weight: 5.8lb / 2.61kg The waist strap isnt quite as padded as on other bags Ive used, but its made of a soft foam material that makes it quite comfortable overall. NY 10036. At the time of this article, the project already met more than double the initial fundraising goal, so it is extremely likely that the bag will make it to a more typical market eventually (though, as a Kickstarter project, there can be no guarantee). One big pro of hiking backpacks in general is that they are very comfortable more so than a typical camera bag. Carry-on options are different depending on where you are flying and what airline you use. Ive been testing out the Shimoda Adventure 60 bag over the past month, and it ticks a lot of boxes for what this sort of bag should be. Not to be outdone Shimoda is back with a new evolution of their previous bag with the Action X series. One of the biggest changes in this series is the sizing. Why you can trust Digital Camera World There is a removable helmet harness, which I found could also be attached on top using the upper side straps. It is by far the best design I have come across on any camera pack and even better than some popular hiking packs. Visit our corporate site (opens in new tab). Im still thinking of going back to that backpack (and swapping out the camera unit for the one by Shimoda) if the Adventure 60 has any unforeseen issues over the next few months. The canvas material across most of the bag is highly water resistant, and the most vulnerable part is the foam padding that presses against your back. Love Shimoda bags, they're amazing quality, comfortable and very well thought out. The multi-configurable strap system on the front panel makes a return. The $299 price for the base model of the Adventure 60 definitely is pricy, although its not more expensive than comparable hiking backpacks or F-Stop Gear equipment (especially since this price includes two small camera units). Apparently on the outside is a 3 stage coating process with an additional 2 stage coating process on the backside. The TPU rubberized straps are amazing for holding gear tightly to the pack. Estimated delivery Sep 2021. Similarly, the X70 with core unit and rain cover will be available for $365. Future US, Inc. Full 7th Floor, 130 West 42nd Street, I can honestly say the Shimoda Explore 30 is a great bag and now made better with the addition of the medium mirrorless core unit version 2 with side access that I 'backed' via the above Kickstarter . Shimoda has become known for producing stellar backpacks with fantastic harnesses that are comfortable to carry fully loaded for long periods. The hip straps on this model do not look as though they will provide the support necessary to properly carry the weight of the pack. Shimoda Designs. Digital Camera World is part of Future US Inc, an international media group and leading digital publisher. You can put a jacket in the top panel without worrying that it will slide down to the camera gear section and push against your back. Save $95 off the retail price of $310. This allows a traveling photographer to keep their gear secure even if they need to check their bag or just for peace of mind. Unlike some photo backpacks that slump over when removed and set down, both the Shimoda Explorer 40 and Explorer 60 have internal 6061 T6 aluminum frames to properly distribute the load of heavy equipment. In case you wondered about the name, Shimoda is a city near the tip of theIzu Peninsula in Japans Shizuoka Prefecture, about 2.5 hours south of Tokyo by train. It adds an additional 7 liters of storage space making even the smaller X30 bag much more versatile for action sports. These consist of several pockets in the blue liner area in the top of the bag, two clear PU pockets in the big front pocket and two clear PU pockets (designed for filters) along the side of the bag under a big flap. Do you need helpchoosing the best camera bag (opens in new tab)? The published dimensions for the "open" configuration is 14.25" x 9.25" x 4.5." It is so inefficient to lay lenses or bodies horizontally. However, the opinions and following review are mine alone and no sponsor has had any influence or feedback on my review process for the Action X30. Shimoda Designs is an adventure camera bag company that provides backpacks, rollers and accessories designed through real-world experience in the mountains and other extreme terrain. However, the Adventure 60 does better in this regard than either of my F-Stop bags (both of which also have an openable back panel), and the padding along the bottom is actually quite substantial. If you're not looking for a backpack this roomy, you could try the best messenger bags (opens in new tab), or if you're after a touch of luxury, check out the best leather camera bags (opens in new tab). I'd give this a try its comfort level is one of the best I've seen. These I would argue are the two most important factors when designing a bag like this. New . For me the centre loop is a ripped fabric panel waiting to happen and the lack of zipped covers for the camera/lens inserts means that I cant store any equipment without it getting dusty/damaged. Since then there has been a lot of competition from both new designers and industry leaders. This property is not currently available for sale. If its really important that you can access your gear from the side, feel free to set up your camera units like that. (Image credit: Liam Dunkley - Artefact Studios), Shimoda Explore V2 35 at Newegg for $319.95, (Image credit: Hannah Rooke / Digital Camera World), I'm a travel photographer with Cystic Fibrosis here's what I've learned about chasing your dreams, 5 things I would tell my younger photographer self, The Hasselblad X2D has the best color science in the business, Expand your storage potential with the brilliant WD Elements SE Portable Drive, Nitecore's new BB Mini Photography Blower has a bizarre shape and design, Panasonic announces 'life changing' smart glasses, 6 tourist destinations around the world where you CAN'T take photos, f/1.0 lens among 4 new optics coming to Nikon Z and Leica M mount, Panasonic Lumix S5 II and S5 II X cameras launch with Phase Hybrid autofocus, Steve Jobs said this would be terrible for a MacBook, but it could happen anyway, Every issue is packed with photo tips, kit reviews and inspiration. One of the most important aspects of a hiking backpack is the waist strap. Ill certainly update this post if they do start to tear. There is still a front pocket running the full length of the bag large enough for another laptop, rain gear, or emergency gear. For the last 3 years Hannah has worked at Wex Photo Video as a Senior Sales Assistant using her experience and knowledge of cameras to help people buy the equipment that is right for them. Our product helps reduce that energy burn, which to us is just as important (if not more) than protecting camera gear.. "Oh, and there are these straps that you could use to carry your skis. I would probably choose to be more sweaty over being sore and as I've said in several of my reviews of other bags I dont think anyone has really made a truly breathable hiking pack. I did a quick test and could store a sleeping bag, one person tent, camp pad, stove, and food for 3 nights along with my standard hiking camera gear. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. On this feature I see the Shimoda bag pulling ahead slightly by keeping the hose out of the way and from snagging on anything. The Shimoda ICUs are the same width as an f-stop ICU, but they are about 1/2" shallower. The Shimoda packs are considerably more weatherproof than the TT pack, but this is due to the fact that they are targeted for a different market. SIGN-UP AND SCORE THE LATEST NEWS ON THE WORLD'S BEST CARRY. There are Shimoda packs currently going to Everest base camp, so the requirements are different than for a bag intended for airport travel, and that's why the fabric has the Carbonate coating and why we use YKK splashguard zippers. Here is a video break down from Shimoda Design. It feels incredibly well made, it has a lot of stylish but functional features, it's extremely comfortable, fully adjustable and your kit feels really safe in it. I think this feature opens up a lot more versatility to the bag. It's not meant to be used for weeklong treks into the wilderness with your camera gear. . Thats not a feature of very many bags, period camera or hiking. Im not a huge fan of the book-style opening, since I think it makes it more difficult to access gear, as well as making the zipper more vulnerable over time, without much payoff. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Attached to the waist belt of a Shimoda pack while the bag is being worn 4. Straps for everyone Innovative, quality bags, cases, core units & backpacks for the outdoor photographer. Aside from a couple dings, I believe that it lives up to its goals. 21,501 views Apr 13, 2020 469 Dislike Share Sarah Lyndsay 3.76K subscribers In this video, I take you through the new SHIMODA DESIGNS Action X30 bag and compare it to the older Explore 30. It does have negatives, like all bags. Interesting review, its hard to keep up with all these new bags. I did not mean to take a million photos of the bag and its features, but it happened. Shimoda, a bag brand within the Mac Group, has launched a new crowdfunding campaign for its Explore Series v2 backpacks. The Explorer 40, a 40-liter backpack, is the smaller of the two, but only about two inches shorter than the Explorer 60 (60-liter) standing at 22.4 inches. Especially anyone needing to go from the streets one day, to hiking outdoors the next. this is the only review that spell out dimensions. He named three reasons for this choice: I can see the reasoning behind these points. However, you still have options. Long days in the mountains with camera kit costs the human body (and mind) a lot of energy. Browse our range of Shimoda camera bags designed for adventures. dmitry gordon wife, david zayas speech therapy, can you grow lychee in oregon, ten sources of agricultural finance, walker funeral home shawnee, ok, princeton materials symposium, wojciechowski funeral home obituaries, mikey mcbryan wife, mary margaret ahern barr, finlandia university football, pastor of trinity baptist church, warragamba dam live camera, katy trail ice house parking, what to do if you mix drano and sulfuric acid, how many crickets are there in the world,