and is a good cartridge for hunting the thick woods for deer, hogs, black bear or even elk. was also the only cartridge of that original Remington family that was based on a different parent case. Heres a detailed look at each step of the process. And with modern powders and loads, it knocks on the door of the .300 WSM and .300 Winchester Magnum. No matter if its books, art or hunting cartridges, its only those with a deep understanding of the subject who can fully understand the greatness often buried in obscurity. You get the shot you get, and within sensible limits, you must be able to take the shot offered. There was a time when I questioned the adequacy of the .270 for elk. Blocker Outdoors Finisher gloves, headcovers and other accessories are available in Mossy Oak Bottomland and Mossy Oak Obsession NWTF camouflage patterns to match various turkey hunting terrain. Boltface would have to be altered for the Norma. I think it would be cheeper to get another action or a magnum bolt. The .45-70 is another very popular cartridge. I see no reason to shy away from it. in the Big Bore Model 94. all were more powerful-and may have been excellent hunting cartridges-but they are gone; rejected by the shooting public and banished to the junk heap of obsolescence. .358 Norma N/A Centerfire Rifle Ammo For Sale at Classic Firearms But starting in the late 1950s, the .338 bore size gained considerable tractionthanks to the emergence of the .338 Winchester Magnum. I am not into the current long-range fad, especially on powerful animals like elk. By coincidence, in that same year, Norma Projektilfabrik of Sweden introduced its own heavyweight champion, the .358 Norma Magnum. Hornadys LEVERevolution pushes the performance up a notch with a 200-grain pointed bullet at 2225 f.p.s. Sure, you can get away with it, especially with todays extra-heavy bullets, but I think its foolish. Looking for previous installments of our "Behind the Bullet" series? Todays Norma factory ammunition is loaded with the companys excellent bonded-core 250-grain Oryx. The ammunition hung on a while longer, but eventually Big Green abandoned her babies and stopped making both cartridges. So when it comes to penetrating thick hide and heavy bone, one could see where the .350 Rigby could benefit from a heavier bullet, say a premium 250-grain with a SD of .279. to achieve its potential. But when Winchester chambered the .358 the following year in its unique lever-action, the Model 88, it became a really interesting cartridge. You can start with the 6.5mms. Theres also a mindset difference. I rely on, Women On Target Instructional Shooting Clinics, Volunteer At The Great American Outdoor Show, Marion P. Hammer Women Of Distinction Award, Women's Wildlife Management / Conservation Scholarship, National Youth Shooting Sports Cooperative Program, Remington Model 700 American Hunter Rifle Project, Behind the Bullet: .458 Winchester Magnum, Behind the Bullet: .300 Winchester Short Magnum, NRA Women | Understanding Sectional Density (SD), 10 Most Versatile Long-Range Hunting Cartridges | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Fiocchi USA Appoints David Blenker As New CEO After Anthony Acitellis Retirement | An NRA Shooting Sports Journal, Behind the Bullet: .17 HMR | An Official Journal Of The NRA, How to Properly Clean and Store Your Rifle After Hunting Season, X-Vision Optics Launches Thermal Impact Scope, First Look: Blocker Outdoors Finisher Accessories, 10 Most Versatile Long-Range Hunting Cartridges, X-Vision Optics Launches Thermal Impact Scope | An Official Journal Of The NRA, New For 2023: Smith & Wesson M&P FPC | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Launching 2023: KelTec R50 Rifle | NRA Family, New For 2023: Glock 47 MOS | An Official Journal Of The NRA, #SundayGunday: Savage Arms 110 PCS | An Official Journal Of The NRA, #SundayGunday: Davidson's Winchester Model 1895 Texas Ranger's Edition | An Official Journal Of The NRA, #SundayGunday: Colt King Cobra Target .22 LR | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Product Preview: Holosun SCS-MOS Green | An Official Journal Of The NRA, 3 Self Defense Myths That Just Won't Go Away | NRA Family, How to Properly Clean and Store Your Rifle After Hunting Season | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Shotgunning 101: The Perfect Gun Mount | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Glass Bedding A Rifle Stock | An Official Journal Of The NRA, New 4473 Released By BATFE | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Member's Hunt: Road Trip | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Springfield Launches New Online Shopping Experience | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Preview: Sarco, Inc. 2nd Amendment Pint Glass | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Riton Optics Celebrates 10th Anniversary | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Top 4 Ways to Carry a Binocular | NRA Family, Preview: Mission First Tactical 24-oz. was simply a .308 Win. Alas, to the best of my knowledge, its not imported to the U.S. Compare practically any small bore cartridge (.32 caliber or less) with a .35 caliber cartridge of similar powder capacity and the result is pretty much the same. of energy at the muzzle. ), but with considerably less recoil. compare 338/06 vs 338 win, and 35 whelen vs 358 norma vs 358 alaskan (stw) loaded to same pressure. From the Green Goblin (a bolt-action rifle I built on a Remington action), both will produce groups that are sub-minute-of-angle. All Petersen's Hunting subscribers now have digital access to their magazine content. Behind the Bullet: .358 Norma Magnum - An Official Journal Of The NRA 35 Whelen vs 9.3x62 | Page 4 | AfricaHunting.com .35 Whelen: The Poor Man's Magnum - Big Game Hunting Blog Petersen's HUNTING Publisher, Kevin Steele is in the CZ booth with Dylan Rice at SHOT Show to talk about CZ 600 Series Trail rifle. Perhaps thats why it has survived. That load actually produced 2825 f.p.s. So while some of my rifle choices may have been oddball, none of the rifles Ive used for elk have been exactly wrong. These work, but my thinking has changed over the years. It is, as you say, a thumper. Rifle Recoil Table - CHUCKHAWKS.COM Sadly, I cant find a single major gunmaker chambering this cartridge today. Powders such as IMRs Trail Boss, Accurates 5744 and IMRs discontinued SR-4759 all work with lighter bullets, and sometimes accuracy is very good, even if the gas seal is not. bruce. That list, by the way, is in ascending order of power. In the years since, the .35 Rem. Then come the .30s, and now were talking business. Its spawn, the .351 Winchester Self Loader, fared a little better, but it was never in danger of greatness. The softpoints were used for the various antelope species, dangerous cats and even buffalo, while the full-patch, non-expanding solids would be used on elephant. If you handload your ammunition, it will make feeding a .358 Norma that much easier, just realize you wont find ammunition at a general store, or even at most gun shops, for that matter. For anyone with an experimental or fanciful turn of mind, the .358 Norma and the many .358-inch diameter bullets are a gold mine. Today the .35 caliber family, at least in North America, includes the .357 Magnum, .35 Remington, .356 Winchester, .358 Winchester, .35 Whelen, .350 Remington Magnum and .358 Norma Magnum. We owe a debt of gratitude to the engineers at the British firm of Holland & Holland; though it is lost to history who exactly designed the belted magnum cartridge, the .275 and .375 Holland & Holland Magnums were game changers. The .358 in a bolt-action rifle with a good scope is as accurate as any hunting cartridge available. I have needed to reach 400 yards, but never a whole bunch farther. and a 250-grain Partition load with a muzzle velocity of 2550 f.p.s. Kevin Steele of Petersen's HUNTING is with Dawn Wehunt of Rock River Arms INC. learning about the new Ascendant platform. Another vote for something different.The 358 STA would be the one. Oklahoma. Folks who live in elk country may consciously seek a cow for the freezer. But in 2003 Remington decided to attempt a resurrection. | .35s That Survived - BUCKMASTERS Among my own favorites for the .358 Norma are the Nosler Partitions in both 225 and 250 grains, Swift A-Frames (225, 250, 280) and various Woodleighs, including the unique 310-grain Weldcore. Got a nice .270 Win MTN Rifle donor 700. Here are the features to watch out for. 5 Forgotten .35-Caliber Cartridges. Are They Doomed? - Field & Stream The .318 Westley Richards was a highly popular choice at that time, and it drives a 250-grain bullet of .330-inch diameter, with a SD of 0.328, and the .375 Holland & Holland uses a 300-grain bullet of nominal diameter with a SD of 0.305; both are renowned for their penetration. Kynoch was a big producer of .350 ammo, but that has ceased in the recent past. Here in North America, you could take the .350 Rigby anywhere youd take the .35 Whelen or .358 Norma Magnum, and that includes north to Alaska for the great bears. Ruger briefly chambered the M77 rifle in .35 Whelen. This stumpy little cartridge was introduced to the hunting public in 1908 and is the only surviving member of the early class of Remington rimless cartridges. As an experiment, I shot the nilgai five or six more times with different bullets, then hauled the carcass back to the cleaning station intact and carried out a necropsy. But perhaps youre not after thick-skinned dangerous game. The .35 Whelen is accurate, hits hard, penetrates deep, shoots flat and recoils mildly. Customer experience was, and still is, the primary focus, a key to the firms longevity and success. A cross-section of loads for the .358 Norma Magnum include the (1) Sierra 125-grain JHP, (2) Sierra 170 FMJ, (3) Speer 180, (4) 200-grain cast bullet and a (5) Sierra 200 roundnose. In Johanssons case, disdain for serious training left him vulnerable when the superbly conditioned Patterson came back a year later, gave him a dazzling boxing lesson and reclaimed the title. THe 35 whelen did have a little more power than the 358. Whelen's Northwoods Trails 35 caliber site - 35 Whelen, 358 Winchester In 1987 Remington made an honest cartridge out of the .35 Whelen. From limited experience of loading for two different 358 Norma Magnum rifles (a Schultz & Larson Model 65 and a Custom Sako AV) I used to neck up new Winchester 338 Win. G. Joined: Sep 2009. I would never argue that a .243 Winchester with a good bullet placed well, or certainly a .25-06 with a tough, heavy bullet, cant do the job. You know the kind with the locking bolt. With a 200-grain bullet at 2460 f.p.s., it is a heavy-hitter on whitetails. In 1965 Remington took it to the next level with the introduction of the Model 600 Magnum Carbine. Here in North America big game starts with deer. Ive had a 350 RM in a 600 Remington since the 60s. If the .35 Rem. The 250-grain .358-inch bulletwith a sectional density of 0.279if properly constructed, has enough length to handle the brown bear and bison, and all of the African plains game species, plus lion and leopard. I have no experience with the Norma mag. up to 0.358 inches and dubbed it the poor mans magnum.. For the next year, comparisons were inevitable between Johanssons Hammer of Thor and the .358s powerful 250-grain bullet. On June 26, 1959, Sweden's Ingemar Johansson demolished Floyd Patterson in the third round of their first heavyweight title fight in New York. Yet, that bore diameter produces some of the best hunting cartridges available. Norma Projektilfabrik answered Winchesters designs with a pair of their own: the .308 Norma Magnum and its slightly older brother, the .358 Norma Magnum. But have owned multiple 9.3s and Whelens. As unmagical as that might sound, it's one of the hardest hitting non-magnum cartridges ever. Tried and true. Avoid quick-opening bullets, especially match bullets; instead, choose controlled-expansion designs intended for hunting larger game. Common loads fire a 200-grain bullet at 2,800 fps (about 3,480 foot pounds of energy), a 225-grain bullet at around 2,600fps (3,380 foot pounds of energy . The big issue with the .350 Rigby Magnum is the lack of available ammunition. is on the threatened list, this one is on a path to extinction. Likewise, so do experienced western elk hunters. Shaw rifle's 24-inch barrel.. Most ammunition makers have a 200-grain load, and Remington also has a 150-grain load with a muzzle velocity of 2300 f.p.s. was included in that party is a mystery, as it had no Winchester counterpart. Heres how to avoid the poseurs and choose the right one. Moderate, safe, bland and predictable. Copyright 2023 National Rifle Association, Bertram Brass from Australia is a good source when you can get it, and Quality Cartridge makes a run of .350 Rigby every few years, but you could be waiting a considerable amount of time. Released in 1959though there were no factory chambered rifles or factory loaded ammunition available for the new cartridgeNorma offered chamber reamers and new component brass for its new brainchild. Ive seen many elk taken cleanly with a .270 Winchester, and my own longest shot on an elk was on a big New Mexico bull at 400 yards using a .270 Winchester with a 150-grain Nosler Partitionone step and down. The Remington Model 673 Guide Rifle was chambered in .350 Rem. As a "stopper" for use on dangerous game the .358 Norma is clearly superior to the .300 Magnums. Just have it rebarreled to 9.3X62, and you will have a 358 Norma with five in the magazine! 9.3x62 boots 320gr Woodleigh protected points and weldcore round noses out at 2400 fps with RL-17. The full spectrum of our many 7mms, from 7mm-08 and 7x57 on up to the fastest 7mm magnums, are also fine, but they are not magical giant-slayers. I wont go so far as to say thats foolish, but theres a major difference in size and toughness between a cow or spike and a mature bull. The "U.S. Rifle, Caliber .30, Model of 1903," better-known as the M1903 Springfield, has become one of the most popular U.S. military small arms to collect. Where the .338 Winchester drives its 250-grain bullet to 2650 fps, the .358 Norma beats that figure by 100 fps or so, delivering over 4,200 ft.-lbs. Mag. Federal loads the 225-grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullet with a muzzle velocity of 2600 f.p.s. The guide professed to be dumbstruck: I never saw a nilgai knocked down like that, he said, And we use some big rifles here!. .470 Nitro Express. 200-grain bullet to almost 2500 f.p.s. In the 80s, when Jack Carter was making his Trophy Bonded Bearclaw bullet by hand, I did some elk hunting with the 240-grain .375 version. Well, it betters the velocity of the .35 Whelen by at least 200 fps, much the same as the .338 Winchester Magnum does to the .338-06. There are several reasons. X-Vision Optics long-range ImpactThermal Scope (TS300) boasts a 640 x 480 thermal sensor that can detect big game well past 3,000 yards. The .358 Norma Magnum is a rifle cartridge introduced in 1959 by Norma. There are places where .22 centerfires are legal for elk. I have used this cartridge on moose with excellent results. While the American mainstream wont accept the .35, they are not unloved. In more recent times, the 1994 release of the .450 Rigby gave dangerous game hunters a bit more bullet weight than the .416 Rigby and has developed a small but devout following among both professional hunters and their clients alike. With the 250-grain bullet, it's better than the .30-06 on heavy game at close ranges. Compare the .308 Winchester and the .358 Winchester, which are based on the same case, and the .358 wins hands down. 35 whelen vs 358 norma mag vs 9.3 x 62 - 24hourcampfire From left: (1) .35 Remington, (2) .358 Winchester and (3) .358 Norma Magnum. My .375 H&H seemed quite adequate. But in my experience, if you can cover that 300-yard window with confidence youre in good shape. You bet they worked! X-Vision Optics long-range ImpactThermal Scope (TS300) boasts a 640 x 480 thermal sensor that can detect big game well past 3,000 yards. Like most of the children of the Holland & Holland parents, the .358 Norma uses its shoulder for headspacing, rather than the belt, as do the .375 and .300 H&H. Sierras 225-grain spitzer boat-tail, designed for the .35 Whelen, is a stellar performer in the .358 Norma. Honestly, the concept of being overgunned is somewhat mystifying to me, provided you can place the shot.
Riley Smith Funeral Home Dequincy, La, Cuantos Empastes Se Pueden Hacer A La Vez, Articles OTHER