Build a plane or rocket for Kerbal high altitudes - Arqade Secondly don't think of engines working better at different altitudes, think of them working better with different air intake quantities. This works, but it's not optimal. Double your speed, you need twice as much fuel. Make sure you have lots of control surfaces because at very high in the atmosphere, there's not much air for the wings to control the craft with. Things that work at low altitude don't work so well up high and the plane ends up going up and down while slowly losing speed until it can't maintain altitude anymore. Display as a link instead, As you found out, it basically konks out at 15km. Laythe - Kerbal Space Program Wiki Information Changelog Stats Pasted as rich text. Right now, my big, fat plane has trouble breaking 10 km altitude and 200 m/s forward speed (largely due to its payload). How can I make money in the new career mode? Slap that behind a plane you'll be able to go beyond 20km without any trouble. Your decreased flight time means you probably won't make it to your location. Slap that behind a plane you'll be able to go beyond 20km without any trouble. From my observations I can say that "Efficiency" is not a good indicator of how well your engine performs. I find that a conservative amount is 2 RAM intakes and 2-4 radial intakes per turbojet. Whiplash is the engine you would want to use on a plane meant to go 20km. I'm trying to build a high altitude plane and have found out that the rules are different. If it's above the cross-hairs, you need a little less. Why do small African island nations perform better than African continental nations, considering democracy and human development? How to make a loop for linear actuator in Kerbal Space Program, Breaking Ground. I didn't try for 20000m as it probably wouldn't do well. First off as of .15.1 intakes don't do anything. Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible. Landing On Laythe Moon Of Jool Kerbal Space Program Youtube A temple in the desert (6 29 47 S 141 40 3 W) known as Tut-Un Jeb-Ahn, although this name can only be seen when a vessel crashes into it. Why not keep the engine for multi-stage rockets? - Space Exploration What you should be concerned about is atmospheric drag, and that's minimized by high-altitude flight. Put a couple of radial mount parachutes just above the com and add a reaction wheel. One problem is i'm running stock on career mode and only have 30 part to spare, so large planes are out of the question. In the game, players direct a nascent space program, staffed and crewed by green humanoid aliens known as "Kerbals". Any advices for building a vehicle for this task? This makes jets built using this engine considerably more maneuverable. Though I'm still working on learning to be better at space planes. AoA itself refers to the angle of the wing (or the whole plane if the AoI is 0)relative to the airflow. This can make it a good alternative for when you want something that can be controllable and doesn't need excessive heat shielding, but still need to be able to go incredibly fast if necessary, at the expense of increased fuel consumption. Most efficient cruise altitude for jet planes? : r/KerbalSpaceProgram Watch out for your SAS if you're running batteries without a jet for a long time. Keep in mind that wheesley engine's performance decreases significantly as the altitude increases. That will unlock: How to tell which packages are held back due to phased updates. Its an approximation missing someelements. Thank you, I was able to reach up to 24km altitude with this design. The high performance engine for me performs pretty good till about 15000 meter. What are the minimum altitudes for each warp level? You can go above 20km with the J-404 Panther. In this chapter, you ll learn about the Space Plane Hangar, a building that forms part of the Kerbal . Another problem is jet engines stealing fuel from the rockets' tanks - you may want to pump the fuel manually (requires an R&D centre upgrade) or add some pipes between them. Once I'm near or in the target area, I set the throttle to 0 and start the Swivel. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account. KSP also tends to have very harsh induced drag if angle of attack gets too high. At altitude the nose goes up and down until it goes out of control. That's because wings need to have some AoA to the airstream in order to generate much lift. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Airplane Plus on SpaceDock This can be done with moar boosters or more calculated wing and body design, depending on the aero model you use. The U-2's published maximum altitude is somewhere above 74,000 feet. Steam Workshop::damn wow The drag differential is because your long-wing layout is using a bunch of struts, and the reason your delta-wing has a higher ceiling is because it has more wing area to provide lift. A well-designed jet with this engine and with the afterburner lit, flown properly, can momentarily climb to 30,000 m altitude. Display as a link instead, Knowing how to design these types of planes make jumping in to SSTO design very easy as there are only a few minor changes that need to be made.Music Credits:1st Song: \"Elephants\" - YouTube Audio Library2nd Song: \"Hot Heat\" - YouTube Audio Library3rd Song: \"Echoes\" - Kasbo - https://soundcloud.com/k-sboWhat game is this? Incidentally, for these speeds and altitudes, ordinary jets are the better choice. Clear editor. Listen to this guy, don't go much farther above 15000 with high altitude engines. EDIT: Essentially, make like an SR-71, if an SR-71 didn't have cooling problems limiting it to Mach 3.4. Beginner's Guide: Tips and Basics - Kerbal Space Program 2 Wiki Guide - IGN I also added a parachute and decoupler since I find it too hard to correctly land this thing yet ;-) I managed to land in the water once, though. Ideally, you'll want to avoid these contracts until you get the High-Altitude Flight tech node and the improved jet engine that comes with it. A destructible memorial to the old Mk. Paste as plain text instead, Are you using Stock or NEAR/FAR? You cannot paste images directly. You'll notice that usually your prograde marker is slightly below your pitch. Is it correct to use "the" before "materials used in making buildings are"? The SR-71 could probably fly higher, but it isn't flying any more. Also, while you mentioned the TJs most efficient altitude is ~ 5km (I'm not sure, but lets assume it's true), you need to realize that the drag you're getting at that altitude is going to wreck any efficiency gains. ksp high altitude plane - digitalidentityorganization.com They always seem to lose power at about 15km, but I'm wondering if there's something I can do to fix that. So the faster you go the higher you can fly where there is less drag. If that's all a case of Too Many Words, think of it this way: Suppose you just build a plane the "default" way and don't put any. High altitude flight is efficient because the air is thinner, and therefore aircraft experience less parasitic drag. Aircraft can be very temperamental to fly, especially on the keyboard. Either finish the low-altitudes and then spend all your fuel on the high-altitude boost, or do the boost first and save a little fuel or try to hit the rest through unpowered gliding. Proceed with caution. Minimising the environmental effects of my dyson brain, Theoretically Correct vs Practical Notation. Powered by Invision Community, Thanks, I'll go try to stuff a few extra turbojets and intakes on my plane, I was generally under the impression that basic jets were mostly deadweight on high-performance aircraft: [] at hypersonic velocities. 2/3 (KSP 1.11.2) - YouTube I break out the Mk2 parts and Panther engines to build a better jet that can go higher and faster. Subscribe -. Is it even possible? I am currently designing a mission that will involve several very long distance plane flights. Even if the air is thin, you can still put out plenty of power if you are shoving enough in with raw speed. Isn't that backwards snark? So that means that even if you are inside the atmosphere but still orbital (such as during aerobraking), your science will not count as "Inside the atmosphere", For example, orbiting Kerbin above 250km altitude, your science is counted as "In Space High over Kerbin." Air Intake: Air Intake shows the amount of force your engine uses to suck air into the turbine. It's Kerbal Space Program v.22! What altitude and speed should I go? Maneuver node plans don't take drag into account, so you'll have to overshoot quite a bit to compensate. If you want to cover your aircraft with loads of intakes, I'm sure you could easily fly above 35km and reach 2000+ m/s velocity. Your link has been automatically embedded. There are two factors to that: how thick the air is, how fast the ship is going. jet engine efficiency in this game is based on built in thrust curves. principle. Note that KSP planes get one substantial speed benefit that's much more pronounced than IRL aircraft, due to the freakishly small planet sizes: they're actually flying at a large fraction of orbital velocity. But maybe your patience? - Insane lift to weight didn't help. Designing a High Altitude Jet | KSP: Making Space Home You cannot paste images directly. Ok, the panther engine is still not good enough. I don't recall if they model aspect ratio, but either way, the struts are murder and the delta wing has so much more wing that it'll still have more lift. So long as there's only one high-altitude measurement to take, you should be able to complete a whole set of 3-4 in one flight. Do plugins for Kerbal Space Program work on unix? Have a plane that ditches its wings and rockets up to 18km once you reach the right point. All trademarks are property of their respective owners in the US and other countries. Upload or insert images from URL. Powered by Invision Community. You arent doing anything wrong. So now to come to an end: from my experience I'd say for a medium sized aircraft it is best to fly between 12-13 km. Your engine burns the same amount of jetfuel per second regardless of how high or fast you are! Exorcet's Content - Kerbal Space Program Forums Remembering the FW TA152 and the U2 I put long wings on it and while its turn rate makes an airliner look like a fighter plane it is stable enough at 19000m. KSP - High Altitude Aircraft - YouTube Thanks for asking this, I've been struggling with the same problem in career mode. KSP Career: Episode 13 - High Altitude Surveys - YouTube Since turbos are almost always enough to get you off the ground and up to altitude, I usually just do straight turbojets (with some RAPIERs for SSTO spaceplanes); the minute amount of fuel saved during the ascent isn't worth lugging those superfluous engines around at the hypersonic regime. CONTROLABLE plane for ~20km altitude? :: Kerbal Space Program General I currently have a contract where I'm asked to take crew reports at certain spots on Kerbal at an altitude of 18,000m. In the stock atmosphere, the benefits of moving faster outweigh almost everything else. Only the fuel tanks attached to rockets have any oxidiser in them. Spaceplane - Wikipedia When you are surrounded by plenty of air there will of course be no need to suck in air artificially but the higher you get the less dense the air around you becomes and in order to make sure that your engines have enough oxygen to burn the fuel it needs to suck air in forcefully. Privacy Policy. Does a plane consume more fuel if it flies at higher altitudes? And it's stock, unfortunately. If it's below the cross-hairs, you need a little more AoA. You can post now and register later. Rockets aren t the only way to get to space. GitHub - Boris-Barboris/AtmosphereAutopilot: Plugin for Kerbal Space Any of my search term words; All of my search term words; Find results in. It may take some practice to hit your target area this way, because you'll be picking up additional horizontal speed, and thus it's possible to under or overshoot. To get higher with the low tech jet engines, you need rocket assist. I wasn't expecting so many excellent answers! surface of jool. They will someday, but they don't now. That will probably allow you to fly comfortably above 20-25km (or higher, depending on the overall mass of your aircraft). If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account. Why is there a voltage on my HDMI and coaxial cables? Very cool. For comparison, the second most maneuverable engine is the CR-7 R.A.P.I.E.R. The ideal case for optimally efficient flight (which is what you want if you're trying to maximize cruise altitude) is when your wings are mounted to the body, pitched up just enough that when cruising in level flight, the body of the aircraft is pointing perfectly . Kerbin | Kerbal Space Program Wiki | Fandom By climbing, you reduce drag, exponentially with altitude. Simply changing the intakes made it fly completely out of control and impossible to land. Is it possible to get to an altitude of 16-20km with normal plane engines? Pasted as rich text. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one. You can do that by right-clicking the engine and clicking "Toggle Mode." below 5,000 m), since the engine's extreme maneuverability may allow the aircraft to perform turns sharply enough to break up in flight. It may work with stock too, I just don't know. Redoing the align environment with a specific formatting, Trying to understand how to get this basic Fourier Series. Your previous content has been restored. Planes and Altitude differences. :: Kerbal Space Program General i recently used a single whiplash plane and was able to maintain a stable 21-22k meter altitude. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. Jet engine - Kerbal Space Program Wiki Valve Corporation. Yes. 2.) lost birth certificate near berlin; ksp high altitude plane. - "In Space High" means your craft is inside the given Sphere of Influence and above the "Space Border" altitude listed in the Celestial Body Multiplier Matrix. Thanks for the help! Why do many companies reject expired SSL certificates as bugs in bug bounties? Sustained flight at over 20km requires at a minimum the Panther in Afterburning mode. My plane has turbojets and lots of fuel, but I am wondering what the optimal way to fly is. Using very light "engine rich" planes and "reverse swooping" (building velocity at 10km then gently curving up) you can temporarily get above 20km with Wheesely and Juno. That annoys me but I can't seem to get a design to make it work. There is no such thing as "so high radar can not detect it", since radar can detect things in outer space. With the tanks disconnected that way, the rockets don't leach from the jets. That's all true, but just read the OP: hypersonic appears to be completely out of the question. By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. Just sounds like the engines can't get enough air, in KSP high speed also generates air intake so I'm guessing what is happening is that you have the initial speed to get to altitude but the lack of air at altitude is starving the engine resulting in lower speed which further reduces air intake and it cascades until either the engine shuts down or you return to denser atmosphere at a lower altitude.
Tentacles Hulu Wiki, Insinkerator Evolution Spacesaver Troubleshooting, Highest Paid Allied Health Professions Uk, Hantz Tankering Service Net Worth, How Much To Charge For Finish Carpentry, Articles K