[31] Former Chicago Bulls guard Derrick Rose, who graduated from Simeon in 2007, wore number 25, and the team won the state championship in 2006 and 2007. 1 prep player in the class of 2013, has taken a similar approach to his time at Simeon. [23] Dixon was released on parole in 2000, and Moore in 2005. You have chosen this person to be their own family member. According to Chicago's then emergency protocol, Wilson was taken to the nearest available hospital, which was St. Bernard Hospital in Englewood. They always said he bumped into Moore. I just caught the end of the documentary on ESPN and I'm literally in tears. Brandon Wilson Ben Wilson/Sons. Yes and I think that's a shame that the mother of his child (Jetan) would keep that child away from Ben and his family. Your Scrapbook is currently empty. He had one son, Brandon Wilson (b. September 1984),[24] with his high school girlfriend Jetun Rush. Brandon Wilson is former Simeon star Ben Wilson's son. On November 20, 1984, Wilson decided against lunching with teammates as he wanted to talk to his girlfriend, Jetun Rush, with whom he had been having significant issues. The New York native, by way of Chicago, played for the Hawks in the early 2000s. He is walking his girl to a bus stop. Brandon Wilson - Address & Phone Number | Whitepages The two engaged in a loud argument, with an infuriated Wilson and Moore exchanging expletives. Ben's mom passed away a few years back. Moore was 16 years old when Wilson bumped into him as he was having an argument with his girlfriend Jetun Rush, the mother of his son, Brandon, on Nov. 20, 1984. Now, come on people you know what it is like to have a heated argument with somebody you dating. I am sure 6'8" 239 lbs Ben Wilson bumped into 5'9 165 lb Billy Moore and didn't say excuse me because he was in a heated argument with his girlfriend. This year, however, the Wendy's All-Star Shootout is selling the past as well as the future, at least to fans on the gray side of 30. In fall of 2000, Wilson made an unofficial visit to DePaul during a trip to see relatives in Chicago. Brandon Sherrod Wilson became a star player at Riverside Church and St. Francis Prep,[27] and Long Island Lutheran High School and would be recruited by the University of Maryland Eastern Shore. Family: He had a son, Brandon, with his girlfriend Jetun Rush. GREAT NEWS! Rebel Wilson said she has been banned from Disneyland for 30 days. [1] Wilson, a Neal F. Simeon Vocational High School basketball player, was regarded as the top high school player in the U.S. by scouts and coaches attending the 1984 Athletes For Better Education basketball camp. HOWLLelujah! They just think any blacks hanging around are stealing and thieves. Are you sure that you want to remove this flower? [31] He also wore number 25 with the New York Knicks, after being traded. At the screening, Billy Moore and Ben Wilson's brothers Anthony and Jeffrey appeared onstage together and the two Wilsons publicly forgave Moore for his action; this was the dying wish of Mary Wilson, who passed away at the age of 63 in December 2000. It was during a lunch break on November 20 when Benji, his girlfriend Jetun and another friend of theirs were out walking a short distance from Simeon that they ran into three other teenagers, two of whomOmar Dixon and William Moorewere looking for trouble. You can customize the cemeteries you volunteer for by selecting or deselecting below. In 2020, Two Sides of the Gun: A Story of Reconciliation was screened in Chicago during NBA All-Star Weekend festivities. In fact, Parker recently worked with Jordan Brand to design a special shoe for the Simeon basketball team with Wilson's number on it. In spite of all the accolades that were bestowed upon him, Wilson's personal life was growing complicated. In 2007 he was arrested again and charged with three weapons offenses, for which he began serving a 40-year sentence in 2011. Nor does Brandon hide his pride in what his father accomplished in those maddeningly few seasons. Moore and Dixon had cut school that day, and Moore had a .22 caliber pistol in his possession. "He probably was the best player I've ever seen in high school.". During an appearance on "The Daily Show," Wilson said she was banned after taking a bathroom selfie. Damn BRAT! The jury needed only an hour of deliberation to convict them. It's estimated that 8,000 people attended Benji's wake at the Simeon gym on November 23, three days after he was gunned down, and that around 10,000 showed up to his funeral on November 24 at Operation PUSH headquarters. That city law was so stupid. After those aforementioned greats, long before Kevin Garnett was a national name, and even before Derrick Rose, Anthony Davis and Jabari Parker were twinkles in their mothers' eyes, there was Ben Wilson. The Late Ben Wilson's Son Brandon Wilson - Lipstick Alley Are you adding a grave photo that will fulfill this request? Nick Anderson was the first to do so during what would've been Wilson's senior season and throughout his collegiate and pro career. He was released on parole in 2000. For some time after Wilson was killed, Simeon issued his number 25 jersey to the player on the team that they deemed the best. Are you sure that you want to report this flower to administrators as offensive or abusive? While the first meeting between the two men was three years ago, they appeared publicly for the first time Thursday at Malcolm X College on the Near West Side. Hope I dont get AIDS. Benjamin Wilson Mary Wilson Follow. I just wanted to stay out of the negative. cemeteries found in will be saved to your photo volunteer list. 9. Brandon Sherrod Wilson death - - InsideEko.com News Media | Facebook That's when I think about this story. No one can know the exact answer to that, but few people doubt that the 6-foot-8-inch Wilson would have been magnificent. 4. On January 13, 2022 he was called home for eternal rest. Join Facebook to connect with Branden Wilson and others you may know. like how are they safely removed without 50% Hair Loss? Despite being underage at the time, the Cook County States Attorney's office elected to try both men as adults. There are no volunteers for this cemetery. Mary Wilson had two sons from a previous marriage. ", "Ben Wilson's killer: 'I don't consider myself a criminal' ", "Basketball Star's Slaying Described By Girlfriend", "PRO BASKETBALL; A Dead Friend, a Living Memory", "Teen who killed Ben Wilson gets 40 years in prison", "Ben Wilson's Family Sues Hospital, Medics", "Suit Settled In Death Of Basketball Star", Chicago Tribune An Unknown Legacy April 12, 2002, Bleacher Report 8 Things To Know Before You Watch ESPN'S Documentary "Benji", "Men's Basketball - University of Maryland Eastern Shore Hawks", "Legacy is Challenge for Wilson | Newsday", "Port Washington police officer killed in Northern State crash", "Brandon Wilson Car Accident: Former ESHawks Hoops player, Brandon Wilson killed in deadly car accident", "Port Washington Policeman Dies in Northern State Parkway Crash", "With an assist from Parker, 'Benji' debuts", "Ben Wilson's death resonates 25 years later", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ben_Wilson_(basketball)&oldid=1136752735, 20th-century African-American sportspeople, Short description is different from Wikidata, All Wikipedia articles written in American English, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 31 January 2023, at 23:31. Rebel Wilson says she was banned from Disneyland for 30 days for taking William Moore appears at Malcolm X College private screening of Both Sides of the Gun, Thursday, Feb. 13, 2020, in Chicago. That night, after hours of emergency surgery, Benji was pronounced dead, on the eve of his senior season at Simeon. I want to make sure other young people dont have to go through the things I had to dealwith.. i have no info on his son's career/whereabouts. Brandon, at 6-2, is a "tweener," with not quite the height to play forward in a high-level NCAA Division I program and not quite the perimeter skills to play guard there. 25 jersey for the New York squad to honor the father he never knew. A lot of people looked to Ben's life to find away out. Dixon later began an unrelated sentence for armed robbery, although Moore, interviewed in the 2012 documentary Benji, claims that his own confession was coerced, and that Dixon was not involved in Wilson's shooting. Remove advertising from a memorial by sponsoring it for just $5. This story was so sad it's rare that I cry after watching a show, but I was in tears. For four years, for instance, Brandon has asked to wear Ben's No. Chicago (March 18, 1967 - November 21, 1984) was an American high school basketball player from Chicago, Illinois. Murphy met up with the two boys shortly thereafter, and Moore and Dixon followed her to a luncheonette on South Vincennes Avenue. Per the recommendations of the prosecuting attorneys, they both were given significant prison sentences. I dont want anyone to have this type of bitterness.. It was during the Prairie State Games at Illinois State University that Benji first had the opportunity to play with Nick Anderson, a 6'6" wing who went on to play at Illinois and enjoy a productive career in the NBA with the Orlando Magic, the Sacramento Kings and the Memphis Grizzlies. 8 Things to Know Before You Watch ESPN's Documentary 'Benji' Wow that was a very good documentary. This browser does not support getting your location. Brandon Wilson Profiles | Facebook I think Moore was thinking more about trying to have xes with Erica Murphy like any other 16 year old boy would. Meanwhile, Calumet High School student Billy Moore was outside Simeon's campus with a .22 caliber revolver looking to avenge his cousin, who had been allegedly robbed of $10 by a Simeon student. Jayla White, a sophomore point guard on Simeons varsity girls team, was moved by what she saw from Moore and the Wilsons. Jetun Rush was the prosecution's lead witness and testified to the same effect. He played one season for UMES. According to Barry Temkin of The Chicago Tribune,Rivers first introduced Brandon to the game, though there was never any pressure to live up to Benji's legacy. Benjamin Wilson, Jr. was a legend in his own time and his untimely death on November 20, 1984 at St. Bernard Hospital leaves a void in all who loved and revered Benjy. "He was a fierce competitor.". The assistant coach who showed him around was Tracy Dildy, a close friend of Ben Wilson's since grammar school. They saw the king of the world., Mimi Faust confirms that Ex Fianc Ty Young had Affair with Drew from RHOA, New Mother KeKe Palmer is impressed with single mothers, Kim Kardashian and Kelly Rowland Work Out Together and Show Off Abs in Mirror Selfie, Jackson State University President Thomas Hudson has been placed on administrative leave, Thoughts from Ms. Going to Africa. Please complete the captcha to let us know you are a real person. Chicago Heights, Cook County, Illinois, USA, North Hempstead, Nassau County, New York, USA. Fat dude whose packing or good looks? Moore remained there until the police began pounding on Murphy's door looking for him later that evening. That's how tall Ben Wilson was when he first arrived at Simeon as a freshman. He was 10 weeks old when Ben was killed in 1984. Juwan Howard wore his jersey number 25 to honor his life and death. Brandon Wilson is former Simeon star Ben Wilson's son. If you have questions, please contact [emailprotected]. Wilson's teammate Teri Sampson recalls that throughout the night, the reports progressively worsened, going from Wilson possibly recovering in time for the state playoffs, to perhaps missing a year of play, to possibly never playing again, to fighting for his life. Behind Wilson, Simeon defeated West Aurora High School by nine points in the semifinals and beat top-ranked Evanston Township High School to win their first ever state title. Dildy played basketball with Wilson in a South Side park just a few days before the shooting. Brandon was the oldest to two brothers; Jared and Jalen. Brandon was the oldest to two brothers; Jared and Jalen. Special friends; Ana Memic; uncles, Darrell Rush (Dawn), Peter Cashaw; great aunt, Patricia Cashaw; aunts, Tracy Person (Leroy), Erica McClay (Alton), and Alicia Rush; godmother, Marcia Kinnie, and a host of cousins, and friends. He has been working on it for 13 years now. "I play because I like basketball. He died at the scene after hitting 2 trees and a light pole. Wilson, though, left behind more than just memories of games and plays. WHILE he was driving? He played professionally with the Long Island Wizards. Brandon Sherrod Wilson (1984-2022) - Find a Grave Memorial In his closing on October 11, 1985, he urged the jury to focus less on the celebrity of the victim and simply follow the law. Try again later. The Late Ben Wilson's Son Brandon Wilson | Lipstick Alley In fact, per Jackson, Magic called Benji's house during the Illinois state championships in 1984 to wish him luck. Even after he was shot, he should still be here today, but that place waited TWO damn hours to operate and try to save that child's life. As manager of this memorial you can add or update the memorial using the Edit button below. As a junior, he had led the Simeon Wolverines basketball team to the Illinois Class AA state championship, and over the summer he was given the honor of being ranked as the best high school player in the entire nation.[6]. Isht, no wonder folks hate Reagan. What happened to Ben Wilson? - Sage-Answer Omar Dixon, 15, tried to rob Wilson, who resisted. "There's no pressure. The life and murder of Ben Wilson was featured in two documentary films produced in the 21st century. We found 15 records for Brandon Wilson in CO, TX and 10 other states. I didn't go to parties or stupid places. "I just try to go out and play my game," he said. The documentary recalls the tragic story of Ben Wilson, the No. Facebook gives people the power. Which memorial do you think is a duplicate of Brandon Wilson (236651330)? But she began to push away from him, and he became confused. The conflict, however, was resolved before Moore got there. Like Rose, he's spent much of his high school career surrounded and protected by family and friends so as to stay out of trouble. Brandon Wilson. For memorials with more than one photo, additional photos will appear here or on the photos tab. He served for five years on the PWPD force, but was killed in a single-car crash on the Northern State Parkway near East Hempstead, New York in January 2022 after losing control of his vehicle. When an athlete dies young, there is anger and a horrifying sense of loss, but also a nagging question: How good might he have been? "Brandon leaves to cherish his memory; parents, Jetun and Edward Rivers; two brothers, Jared and Jalen Rivers; one sister, Brelyn Rivers; grandparents, Vallie Rush (Chicago), and Rachel Rivers (Queens, NY). Late basketball legend Benji "Ben" Wilson's son Brandon killed at age It looks like Brandon . ). Just as he was getting into his car, an ambulance arrived to the scene on South Vincennes. They reward the season just completed while hinting at what's to come in college or the NBA. He was buried in his blue and gold No. An Impact Beyond Words and Numbers 8 of 8 Ben Wilson's been gone from this earth for nearly 28 years. He lost his own son, William IV, to gun violence in July 2017. [1] Wilson, a Neal F. Simeon Vocational High School basketball player, was regarded as the top high school player in the U.S. by scouts and coaches attending the 1984 Athletes For Better Education basketball camp. it was a very touching docu. He was the only non-senior on a squad that upset previously-undefeated Evanston at Assembly Hall in Champaign in the final. [18] He and Omar Dixon were outside the luncheonette when Wilson and Rush came up the street behind them. October 3, 1984 - September 9, 2021 (36 years old) Warren, Ohio. [16] Wilson was described as "Magic Johnson with a jump shot" by his Simeon coach, Bob Hambric. Dr. Seuss is trash and none of his books are allowed in my classroom. 1967. 25 Simeon uniform at Oak Woods Cemetery. He tried to excuse himself, but two of them were looking for trouble and words were exchanged. The family of Ben Wilson publicly reconciles with his killer - Chicago [11] During the 198283 season, he was the only sophomore on the varsity basketball team. He was 10 weeks old when Ben was killed in 1984. . The prosecution's lead witness was Jetun Rush, who testified to that effect. Please contact Find a Grave at [emailprotected] if you need help resetting your password. That was just so bad. Benji was survived by a son, Brandon, who turned out to be a decent basketball player in his own right. But he really screwed up when he went up to Simeon to find who stole his cousin's $10 armed with a gun. Ive never seen anything like it, White said. Wilson taunted him and dared him to shoot; Moore later said he felt that the much larger Wilson was just "punking" him. Chicago has produced many a great basketball player over the years. Jabari Parker, another Chicago native and the No. Oops, something didn't work. Wilson said Disney asked her . The defense attorneys for both boys denied the charges vehemently. Not that Brandon necessarily could've. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Brandon was a graduated of Long Island Lutheran High School. This is a sad story all around. Blues man Willie Dixon's grandson. If somebody had just robbed or took money from Moore's cousin then in the same day they are going to rob somebody else. Within minutes, word of the shooting reached Simeon's campus, and a crowd gathered near Wilson. I've heard about him and his story is just so sad. 1 high school senior, was trying to decide whether to attend DePaul or Illinois. I kind of understand your point of view a little bit after watching this concerning the guy that actually shot him. [7] Wilson turned and went back toward Moore, with an argument leading to Moore eventually drawing the pistol. An argument ensued and Moore shot Wilson. On January 13, 2022, Brandon Sherrod . Michael O'Brien on Twitter: "Brandon Wilson is former Simeon star Ben Dixon was given the lesser sentence because even though he was involved in the crime, Moore had been the one to fire the fatal shots.[21]. Thanks for your help! This page was created in memory of Ben. Or, as those close to him knew him, Benji. The trial began in the fall of 1985. [32] Following Nick Anderson's tribute to Wilson in wearing number 25 at Illinois, many others who graduated from Simeon and moved on to play for the Illini have carried on the tradition of wearing the jersey number 25. He used to joke about that and say basketball was his girlfriend.". He claimed his sentence was excessive, considering he had not been in trouble before, and that he should not have been tried as an adult; while the court of appeals found his sentence to be somewhat harsh, they upheld the decision as a matter of law. It took them hours before they could get a trauma surgeon and by then Wilson had lost so much blood the doctors said he would be a vegetable. 25 jersey for the New York squad to honor the father he never knew. He is a student with no job and no car. I wish my black people wake up!! It may not display this or other websites correctly. You can always change this later in your Account settings. NOW COME ON!! Among those recent deaths is Michael Haynes, a former prep player in Chicago who was due to play college ball at Iona. His condition progressively worsened during the hours that followed, which led his mother, Mary, to have her son taken off of life support. Much like Kevin Durant and Anthony Davis, Benji began his high school career as a guardin his case, a point guardbut eventually outgrew his position, albeit without leaving behind his perimeter skills. My heart feels so heavy after watching that documentary. [13][14] He would play basketball with R. Kelly[15] and Nick Anderson. Moore called to Wilson to watch where he was going, and Wilson responded by turning around and heading back toward Moore. Failed to remove flower. After finding out the conflict had been resolved, Moore and his friend Omar Dixon decided to stay nearby and eventually the two followed Moore's friend Erica Murphy to a nearby luncheonette located on South Vincennes Avenue, just up the street from Simeon. He attended and graduated from the Nassau Police Academy. "He's not your stereotypical shooting guard, but he'll get you some rebounds, defend and rough it up inside," Long Island Lutheran coach Ronn Hall said. He also had a sister, Brelyn (Suga). Ben "Benji" Wilson, Jr. - Tribute to a Basketball Legend "I'm excited," he said about Saturday's game, "but more so just to represent New York and myself.". ". If you notice a problem with the translation, please send a message to [emailprotected] and include a link to the page and details about the problem. Jetun lied. Ben Wilson Is A Member Of . Ben Wilson, who died in 1984 in Chicago, was once rated among the best high school basketball players in the country and recruited by the University of Illinois weeks before his death. Billy Moore appears in the film to give his side of the story for the first time; he reiterated the claim made by his attorney at his trial, that he only shot Wilson out of fear for his own life. Ben "Benji" Wilson, Jr. - Tribute to a Basketball Legend Brandon moved to New York with his mother, Jetun, and his stepfather, New York City police officer Edward Rivers, when he was in 6th grade. The murder sent Chicago into shock, generating agony, outrage and calls for an end to street violence. Delivering Benji's eulogy at that ceremony was the Reverend Jesse Jackson, who'd been a candidate to represent the Democratic party during the presidential primaries earlier that year. The team chose to play the game, a rematch with Evanston, and won. But it was said that they had some sort of toxic relationship and was advised to separate. Read up on Brandon Wilson's biography, career, awards and more on ESPN. I started crying when the young girl started singing Going up Yonder while the other people were falling out and haven't stopped crying since. Brandon Wilson, Cincinnati Bengals, DB - CBSSports.com [15] As his senior season approached, it was believed that Wilson was considering scholarship offers from the University of Illinois, DePaul University and Indiana University.[17]. Brandon had a passion for coaching and playing which lead to a coaching position with Solomon Schecter School in Williston Park, NY., while also coaching the Rising Stars AAU program. Benji first gained national notoriety in the summer of 1984, when he was named the No. Becoming a Find a Grave member is fast, easy and FREE. It turns out that Benji and his "girlfriend" Jetun were arguing over her not allowing him to see his son Brandon. Brandon enters and graduated from the Long Island Police Academy following in his Pops footsteps to become a police officer. Ben Wilson, who died in 1984 in Chicago, was once rated among the best high school basketball players in the country and recruited by the University of Illinois weeks before his death. Benjamin Wilson Jr. (March 18, 1967 - November 21, 1984) was an American high school basketball player from Chicago, Illinois. Billy Moore remained at Erica Murphy's home for most of the rest of the day. This account has been disabled. Wow. But Wilson said he agreed to meet with William Moore who was convicted in his brothers killing after his mother, Mary, asked the family to forgive him on her deathbed in 2000.
Tony Hinchcliffe Brody Stevens Death, Who Is Running For Governor Of Illinois, Darius Williams Cooks, 4000 Hp Supra Assetto Corsa, Articles B