I have three .38 Supers, a Star, Colt 1911 Govt and Kimber Gold Match SE II from their custom shop. Sometimes, Timing is everything. 3 Revolver, 1907 Winchester Rifle, Ranger George Chapman, 1950 Smith & Wesson Chiefs Special, Sgt. Serial # 16205 Manufactured in 1891. John B. Jones, 1860 Colt Army Richards Transition Revolver, 1878 Smith & Wesson New Model No. For most of my life, old-timers and shooters have called the cartridge the .38 Super and the handgun the Super .38.The proper name is the .38 ACP Super. Great shooter with all loads but it really shines with the 124 gr. Love the gun and caliber. Additionally, its a remarkably easy cartridge to handload with good results. Traces Professional has everything to make it distinctly his own. The little guy hold an honorary place in my collection and I smile when I think back to when I purchased it for $100.00. Colt 38 Super Guns for Sale - Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore But when you are not much from arms length of a life and death situation I suggest a 45acp in 180 xtp hollow point. Does anyone know how I can obtain ammunition ? One is the Colt Competition 1911, one is the Taurus PT and the third one is an EAA Witness, which holds 17 + 1 rounds. The smaller-diameter .38 Super in its hottest loads offer greater penetration against light cover than the .45 ACP or 9mm cartridges. I urge the reader to read on with curiosity and understanding. Paul Harrell has good things to say about the cartridge if you look him up. The .38 Super was particularly popular in Texas and over 200,000 were produced between 1929 and 1970. Seller: Cliffs Guns Safes Reloading. Browse our ever-growing inventory of popular pistols like the Defender, Gold Cup, Mustang, and other. The Defender is an officer-sized aluminum framed gun with a 3 inch bull barrel. In 1971, they received an out-of-court settlement. I enjoyed my super so much the other 3 went in the safe and stayed there till now. Winchester makes a 124gr nickel coated brass case jacketed soft point ammo. The 9 mm didnt make it through the first book. 1911forum is your friend. Lock up okay, but gun is likely non functional. I have purchase all the cheap stuff, Armscor, Magtech and Aguilla in 125 to 130 grain, you can find it for $15 ish a box. As long as I do my bit, its a straight shooter. It is also doubtful John Moses Browning expected that his most famous and enduring creation, the 1911, would be alive and kicking, with no signs of retiring, nearly 100 years after he finished the last of the Armys requested improvements. Lot 1183: The nickel-plated Colt Single Action Army carried by Texas Ranger Jack Dean is chambered in 38-40 WCF with factory engraving and carved steer grips. The ammo is not as hard to find as stated in the article. In the 1911, there is no penalty for using the .38 Super over the 9mm. *Colt Style Belgium ''Texas Ranger'' 38 RevolverThis *Colt Style Belgium ''Texas Ranger'' 38 RevolverThis is a Belgium made Colt western style single and double action revolver. My Dillon 1050 is set up to load almost 1000 rounds per hour of .38 Super with VV N350, 3N37, or 3N38 & WW Auto Comp. . I carry either an XDS in 45 auto or my Nighthawk in 38 super nearly every day. Its low muzzle blast, light recoil and accuracy are hard to duplicate. My latest purchase was a Nighthawk Custom that I ordered, and they made me, in 38 Super. The result? Throwback Thursday: Does Anyone Still Use the .38 Super? Belgian made six shot revolver. In his life he was wounded 17 times, left for dead four times and he killed between 53 and 70 people. I have been reloading .38 Super since 1982 and find it to be a great round, very accurate and hits harder than 9mm. Caliber: .38 Colt Special Overall condition as seen in photos. Regardless, any load tested had more than enough accuracy to put paid to a miscreant. Sig Sauer P320 Texas Ranger 9mm 4.7" Nitron 17rd Talo Texas Rangers are an independent lotalways have beenperhaps from that time alone riding horseback across the vast expanse of Texas. I have several 1911s and handguns whose calibers run the gamut from .22 through .45 ACP But my .38 Super is by far my smoothest, easiest and most comfortable handgun I own, hands down. I sometimes wonder if it will gain some steam among conventional shooters like the 10mm has. The Barrow gang is believed to have killed at least nine police officers and several civilians in the course of its crime wave. Has been in my hip for nearly 20 years loaded with 125 gr Silvertips. GUNS Magazine Texas Ranger Frank Hamer - GUNS Magazine I have three .38 Supers and enjoy them very much. In her first term as governor of Texas, Gov. The polished blued finish is accented by a bordered golden rampant colt, Texas flag, and vine and leaf engravings, pairing a timeless elegance with . Home Ammunition Throwback Thursday: Does Anyone Still Use the .38 Super? The roads were poor and Stevens crossed several rivers with steep banks and few bridges. The cop in the bunch and 2 of 4 others all had 38 super weapons within a month. Hamer retained a Special Ranger commission after retirement and he put it to good use. WE BUY GUNS! Colt's Manufacturing Company - Wikipedia Parker was just 24 when she and Barrow died in a hail of gunfire after being ambushed by law enforcement authorities in Louisiana. To front for Old Lucky, Capt. Shot the 9mm and after cleaning put in the 38 super and havent changed it back. This is an easier cartridge to master than the .45 and has two more rounds of magazine capacity. Myths and Legends of the 1911 .45 ACP - Sight M1911 Gun #: 999474294. America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter. The information provided here does not represent the views of Cheaper Than Dirt! Such a reputation is in itself a most intimidating weapon and Hamer never slowed down as he approached Parrs gunmen. Historically, thats why it was created. Following the success of its initial collaboration with Vertx, Premier Body Armor announces its continued partnership. He tuned and polished up the feed ramp and removed some burrs, no issues now. In 1905, he captured a horse thief while he was working on a ranch in West Texas. Most competitive race guns at that time were using nothing but .38 Super. Regular Price. Shipping, Payment & Auction Policies. See FRANK HAMER, TEXAS RANGER by Hans-Christian Vortisch. Energy equals the current watered-down .357 Magnum. Have been reading about early Texas history and am amazed by accounts of the states way of life in the early 1900s and the stories of men like Frank Hamer and LBJ who contributed so much good and bad. After acquiring his first Wilson Combat pistol, Trace McDonald started competing in USPSA matches. Texas Ranger Colt .45; Texas Ranger Matt Cawthon's M1911; The Guns of the Dillinger Gang; WWI Navy and Marine 1911's; Historic 1911 Pistol Visual Display; Historical Articles On The M1911 Pistol . Ironically, I do. An advantage of this caliber is penetration. cartridge. COLT 1911 45 ACP STAINLESS . Why did Colt make the 38 Super? | 1911Forum A few ago I traded for a RIA 22TCM/9mm combo. If you want to know more about Glenn Elliiott, he has written two books: A Ranger's Ranger and Still A Ranger's Ranger. at the time. Rudy Flores. The .38 Super was introduced in the 1911 handgun in 1929 to arm peace officers with a hard-hitting handgun that offered good penetration against the new breed of mechanized thug. 1819 North Flintlock Pistol The young lawyers following those two Texas legends saw groups of armed men standing all around the street. I never got around to installing a Bar-Sto barrel, so my hand loading bullet choices were limited. However, it certainly wasn't his only one. Editors note: This post was originally published in January of 2020. I would recommend it for any novice shooter or women; especially the unfortunately short-lived downsized frame which made it an excellent choice for concealed carry or purses. And it was so heavy that Colt said it would take a "Texan to shoot it.". Both can be purchased through the Texas Ranger Museum Gift Shop. The conservative ranchers and almost everyone else in Texas loved Coke Stevenson and what he stood for. The flats were then polished back to the metal, leaving the nooks and crannies filled with black for highlights. There is no pistol faster to an accurate first shot than a 1911 handgun properly carried cocked and locked. Choose the best gun for you needs with respect of your physical and shooting abilities and select the caliber best suited for the most likely application you could find yourself in. Elliott carried the pistol on duty while assigned to work with the Texas Rangers in the 1957 Lone Star Steel Strike. My 38 Super commander is my EDC. COLT .38 SUPER AUTOMATIC - 50 Famous Firearms You've Got to Own: Rick Call me the oddball but I prefer the .40 S&W in an actual S&W or the .38 Spl. The Gun Control Act of 1968 requires firearm manufacturers to place serial numbers on firearms and made firearms with removed, obliterated or altered serial numbers illegal to possess. He had a bar in West Covina Cali. Black ruled that the federal district court lacked jurisdiction and that the question was for the Central Committee to decide. I jumped in and took one shot just to see how the Professional handled. Im in Chandler. I own 2 Colt 1911 ( gov model and custom shop) and they are amazing! A gunman had once jumped out to prevent him from testifying in a trial. Can a 9mm barrel be used in a Metro Arms 1911 38 super? I have that love very much I shoot it in bulleye comp at 50 feet it is great but I need brass for my gun if any body has some get me I will pay for it thank you all. First, gangsters (Dillinger, Nelson, etc.) In 1839, the Republic of Texas ordered 180 of the .36-caliber Holster model revolvers for the Texas Navy, but most significant were the revolvers issued to the early Texas Rangers. Legal Statement. While the first Wilson Combat pistol that started his journey to Wilson-Combat Rangers pistols was a CQB, Trace McDonald chose a built-to-order Professional Model. After I retired from a near 30 year career in emergency services (firefighter/paramedic) I got a job in a gun store. Long story short, its a cool OLD round thats still relevant among competition shooters. Shot at point blank range, Hamer snatched the jammed gun out of the assassins hand when a second assailant started blazing away at Hamer. Add to this, all his SAA pistols were short barreled. Okay, here are the generals I think people will say about the Super: its an accurate, well developed round with an extensive commercial and handload database. Stephen F. Austin probably never anticipated the historical impact of his organizing a small civilian group to provide protection for immigrants into Tejas. Fact is, its like the .357 magnum or at least the .357 SIG in 1911s. Shop 38 super pistols online at Hinterland Outfitters from brands like Armscor, EAA, Colt, Dan Wesson, and many more! You can also crank it up quite hot. Still use it? Nevertheless, Hamer used buckshot on the crowd and wounded at least two as they charged up the stairs of the courthouse. After months of pondering if I should, I finally gave in and bought the Kimber. Joseph Pinkston in his excellent book, with Robert Cromie, Dillinger, A Short and Violent Life writes of the apprehension of Dillinger gang member Leslie Homer and of his advice given to Racine officers in November of 1933. Frank Hamer and His Guns; The Moment He Almost Kept LBJ From Stealing Colt Guns, Colt Paterson, Colt Walker for Sale | Collectors Firearms One of rioters ran up to cut a fire hose with an axe. Bill was glad to do it. His entrance into politics commenced when local leaders asked Hamer to catch a crew of rustlers that included the son of a prominent ranching family. There can be no other gun with a closer association to Bonnie Parker than the one taped to her body at her death.. SIG Sauer offers the V-Crown hollow point at about 1,210 fps. BELGIAN TEXAS RANGER .38 SPECIAL 1920S REVOLVER. The 38 super left a pretty gaping hole in the back of the third book. There were about five men directly in Hamers path wearing guns. When asked by one of the rioters whether he would surrender the prisoner, Hamer replied,Any time you feel lucky come on, but when you start up the stairway once more, there is going to be many funerals in Sherman. This quieted the crowd for twenty or thirty minutes according to Hamers official statement. I am thinking of finding them a new home and cant find much info as far as value. Texas Meet Arkansas Just pick up your brass. His training, natural abilities and the Wilson were enough for a good start in the sport. I own five theyre just plain fun to shoot. Born in Rowena, Texas, Parker met Barrow at the home of a mutual friend in January 1930, according to the most credible accounts. I bought this pistol off a table at a small gun show in Custer, WA. Colt upped the power of the cartridge but used the same length cartridge case and chambered the .38 Super in the 1911 when it dropped production of the .38 ACP pistols. Ive made hits with the Colt at 300 yards using Remington factory 130 grain FMJ. You've successfully subscribed to this newsletter! It is just that ammunition and handguns in this caliber are sometimes difficult to come by. Everyday Carry: A Texas Ranger's Colt Single Action Army By Kurt Accuracy is pretty good. I more than once said that If my son was to need to carry a gun for his work I would want him to carry a 38 Super. 2023 FOX News Network, LLC. This firearm is classified as a Curio & Relic. The frame is undercut at the front strap trigger-guard juncture, for a higher grip, and the front strap and flat mainspring housing are checkered in an effective 30-lpi pattern. The .38 Super varies in accuracy. At the time, you had to know not to fire a .38 Super in older Colt 1903 pistols. Legal Statement. . Sheriff Henderson Jordan and his deputy, Prentiss Oakley, joined Hamer along with former Ranger Manny Gault. I bought a RIA 1911 in .38 super because everybody has a 1911 in .45. Very Fast. Colt .38 Super sn 44602 - shipped August 22,1947 to Peden Iron & Steel Company, Houston, Texas in a 50 gun shipment. He was a conservative Democrat who loved the Constitution and believed that the federal government needed to let states like Texas take control of their own destinies at a time when Truman and the national Democrats were desperately seeking a deal to force out states rights Democrats that were threatening to keep Texas out of Trumans clutches. Regular Price Oak Hill Price Cash Price. Love the gun and love the round. I selected it as it appeared to be the most powerful automatic pistol cartridge at the time. Ive never bothered with it and no one I know personally has either. Trimming, taper crimping, careful selection of bullets, everything still resulted in many rejects that didnt chamber properly. Barrow, Parker and associate Jimmy Mullens engineered the Eastham prison farm escape and freed Raymond Hamilton, Henry Methvin, Hilton Bybee and Joe Palme. Both use the same Wilson No FTF, as long as no lead exposed @ tip. Working primarily along the South Texas border, Hamer became known as an expert shot. The Model 8 was one of at least two Model 8s used in the ambush. $1,836.00. The crowd threw stones at the courthouse, forced the doors to the courtroom corridor and rushed toward the courtroom. , This is a great history of a very great man fighting bad men including LBJ and the criminal democratic party, Your email address will not be published. I purchased a Colt Goldcup National match 38 super elite used back in the late 1980s and still have it. I could push a 100 grain Speer JHP downrange near 1500 fps using Blue Dot though I cant recall the powder charge. I too loved my 38 super but it was notoriously HARD to get right handloading. A Texas Rangers Colt Super .38. If you can. The Colt Six Shooter: A Gun So Heavy, It Takes a Texan - Texas Standard Colt 38 Super Pre-War - Old Colt 9mm, 45 acp and 40 s&w. Colt - 38 Super ? | 1911 Firearm Addicts I couldnt ask for more. By doing so, Johnsons legal team got the case in front of Associate Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black. The Commander Model 38 Super pistol on the left includes the standard blued finish and checkered wood grips. The 1930 Sherman riot made Texas notorious for its racial animosity. There is also a brief history after that on the Colt Commander. Nevertheless, the brief opportunity to look at the election documents inside the bank was made possible by Hamers 200 yard walk down the center of Alice, Texas with his coat off.
Lies Beneath Vr Ending Explained, Dynamodbmapper Batchload Limit, Clare High School Football Roster, Jillian Michaels Hypothyroidism, Articles C