And Charley said, "Well, that's fine." Then, they considered the potential blow-back against a name change versus the size of the parks visitor-base that wouldnt care or would even support the move. Whiskey Review: Rebel Yell Ginger - Thirty-One Whiskey On DailyDrinker.com, Rebel Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey is rated an average of 6.7/10, making it an excellent buy. At one time, Rebel Yell Honey whiskey and Rebel Yell Cherry whiskey versions were available, but they are no longer represented on the companys website. Well I am sad to say that after being season pass holders for 20+ years my family will NOT be returning this year! The company was founded in 1958 by Paul A. Ackerberg and is now run by his son, David Ackerberg. To me it was just a name given to a coaster, devoid of any historical or political significance. They considered the chances that someone would be upset by a name with ties to a Confederacy battle cry. There is just no end to this madness. Anecdotes from former Union soldiers described the yell with reference to "a peculiar corkscrew sensation that went up your spine when you heard it" along with the comment that "if you claim you heard it and weren't scared that means you never heard it". Luxco is a leading producer of distilled spirits in the United States, and its products are distributed in more than 50 countries. That being said, I think taking offense to the name change, claiming it is rewriting history, and refusing to ever go to the park again is just downright silly. Lux Row Distillers states that the new bottle features an embossed rounded shoulder in addition to revised front and back labels. Changing it just seems to serve no purpose and make the park seem more bland. Rebel Yell Bourbon is featured in the lyrics to "Honky Tonk Hell" a song performed by, This page was last edited on 8 February 2023, at 18:06. Thank you. The Rebel Yell bourbon brand is produced by Luxco, a family-owned company based in St. Louis, Missouri. In media such as movies or video games, the yell is often portrayed as a simple "yee-haw" and in some parts of the United States, "yee-ha". Tons of bottles out though. 6, a bourbon blend consisting of three primary bourbons aged for varying periods of time is unique. Good one. He explained on VH1 Storytellers that people were drinking "Rebel Yell" bourbon and thought that would be a great title for an album. A pparently it worked; the new look caught my attention and resulted in this review. Wheated bourbon tends to cause confusion, especially with newcomers to the American whiskey category. Weller. Brand of Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey, Learn how and when to remove this template message, https://ohc.library.louisville.edu/ohms/viewer.php?cachefile=1986_52_farnsley.xml, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Rebel_Yell_(bourbon)&oldid=1138241841, Food and drink companies established in 1849, Articles needing additional references from March 2013, All articles needing additional references, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0. And lets be honest, thats all you can really ask for when buying a $15 bottle of bourbon. Rebel Bourbon - Lux Row Distillers Recently, the brand dropped the word Yell from the name, which means that you may currently find bottles with either Rebel Yell or Rebel Bourbon on shelves. Style: Straight bourbon Origin: Kentucky Age: 10 years Proof: 50% ABV Price: $60 Release: May 2017 Availability: Nationwide in limited amounts. *(Interview with Nancy Farnsley, November 14, 1984) In the early 1980s, after some other changes of ownership following the break-up of Stitzel-Weller around 1972, the brand was purchased by the David Sherman Corporation of St. Louis, Missouri (now Luxco). Did something happen with Rebel Yell bourbon? : r/bourbon I think that this is an overreaction but understand the logic of removing a name that might possibly be offensive to a small minority. To me, those moves are deserving of criticisms about erasing history, but I wouldnt put a roller coasters and a monument in the same category or even in the same discussion. And hes worked with startup brands to turn local enthusiasm into national recognition. I find this to be a case of much ado about nothing but then I never read anything into the name Rebel Yell. Rebel yell - Wikipedia The brand bounced ownership, eventually landing in the Diageo portfolio. Those were some good times. However, the Stitzel-Wellers original Rebel Yell bourbon recipe which contained wheat instead of rye remained the same. "He didn't bottle a great deal of it, and several years later, four or five years later he sold the brand to the Southern Comfort people, and they never used it. These newpackaging and name changes now provide amore consistent and cohesive brand familylineup at retail. Then post them to secondary sites as Dusty's or old label bottels for 2000% the price. It no longer contains The Deep South written on the bottle, and they dropped Yell from the brand. Rebel Yell Kentucky Straight Bourbon Classification: Straight Bourbon Company: Lux Row Distillers Distillery: Undisclosed Kentucky Distillery (ies) Release Date: Ongoing Proof: 80 Age: NAS Mashbill: Undisclosed (Includes corn, wheat, and malted barley) Color: Gold MSRP: $18 (2021) Official Website Rebel Yell is a brand of Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey owned and marketed by Luxco. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. And I never even thought about the park changing the name. Despite not having any background in whiskey, Charles R. Farnsley the former mayor of Louisville created the brand to commemorate the centenary of the Stitzel-Weller distillery. In 1999, the brand made its way to the portfolio of the David Sherman Corporation rebranded as Luxco in 2006. With that effort, the price has went up a bit, too. However, in 2020 the rebranding effort went to removing Yell from the bottle. Why did they HAVE to choose such a name in the first place? The offering has gained a lot of media attention, being named Worlds Best Single Barrel and Best Kentucky Single Barrel of 2020 by Whisky Magazine and Whisky Advocates 2017 Top 20 list at No. It was taken up successively and passed around to our front, along our right and in behind us again, until it seemed almost to have got to the point whence it started. Bourbon aficionados may consider the whiskey a little hot when tasted neat in or in a snifter. Rebel Yell: A Classic Bourbon from the Deep South Rebel bourbon is made in Kentucky, the heart of bourbon country. Its 36-inch continuous column still has a capacity to produce 50,000 barrels or about 3.25 million proof gallons of bourbon per year. This isnt to say its bad. As this article mentioned the rebel yell is not an offensive name. Rebel Yell was a term coined for the battle cry of the confederate army. . Rebel Yell is one of those old throwbacks. November 18, 2020 in General Bourbon Discussion. Yeah, Oh im sorry for being an activist SJW hybrid, Racer 75 is a stupid name and not catchy, Apple Zapple is catchy but not Racer 75 Kings Islands Racer is catchy because it is simple. While Rebel Bourbon doesnt display an age statement on its bottle, we know its aged a minimum of 4 years. It was not that; it was the Southern war cry."[10]. The Rebel Yell brand was created in 1950 by a politician in Kentucky a fascinating peek into the regions politics of the time. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. It might not be an everyday sipper. Maybe they should just rename it then - to Rebel Yip - since that is more descriptive of that sound anyway? Is Rebel Bourbon good whiskey? In the end, the ride experience is still the same. [3], Several recordings of Civil War veterans performing the yell exist. The Rebel Yell brand is currently produced at the Luxco distillery. Did it hurt your feelings too? Now, if you havent heard of Rebel Bourbon, you may now it as its previous name Rebel Yell. However, the addition of ice makes things a little better. ago One is softer DonutBourbon 6 mo. And Charley said, "Well it wouldn't be proper since I sold it." Rebel Whiskey is one of the most widely available wheated bourbons in the United States. The move has been met with serious opposition by some fans. Rebel Yell Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey has a retail price of about $16 for a 750mL bottle at 80-proof. The Lux Row facility has seven barrel warehouses, each with a 20,000 barrel capacity. "I could hear the sound of shots from the direction of Hickory Point, accompanied at intervals by fierce yells," remembered Reeder. His idea was to create the whiskey in small batches and distribute them solely in southern states ("rebel yell" being a term used for a particularly unique battle cry . Rebel Whiskey is owned by Luxco, but the whiskey is distilled at Heaven Hill Distillery. EXPLORE WHISKEY REBELLIOUS REMIXES Spring Manhattan Bourbon-Amaro Highball Elderflower Smash SEE ALL COCKTAILS I've heard the 10-yr is the same juice from the Old Fitz decanters. Changes include new packaging forRebel Yell Kentucky Straight Bourbon, as wellas bringing Rebel Reserve Honey and Cherryunder the Rebel Yell name. "A young fellow near me remarked: 'Our men must be hitting them the way they holler.' While he had no prior knowledge of whiskey, he did have some experience. The company would eventually break up in 1972. So over the last year, I'd tried a few new bourbons and one I'd come to enjoy was Rebel Yell. Weller company merged with the Stitzel distilling company (est. And yes, it was made along side Pappy Van Winkle at Stitzel-Weller. The woke folk are going to get their pitchforks and be at Lux Row's doorstep once they catch wind of a Rebel libation. The original Rebel Yell bourbon recipe used wheat instead of rye in order to reduce grain alcohol content. Need to know: A 100-proof, 10 year old wheater, this is the latest release from Rebel Yell's Single Barrel line. Rebel Yell went through a rebranding effort which brought about a couple changes. Lets take a look at how much a bottle of Rebel Bourbon will cost you. Rebel Yell is a bourbon that lends itself better to throwing away than drinking. There is some debate on whether or not rebel yell and rebel bourbon are the same, but many people believe that they are. For the best. Sorry, I missed that. There are 4 primary grains used in the production of whiskey barley, corn, rye, and wheat. Mash Bill Bourbon and Whiskey Ingredient Guide, Definitive Guide to the Different Types of Whiskey, Copyright 2022 Gentlemen Ranters | All Rights Reserved. At the Battle of Killiecrankie "Dundee and the Chiefs chose to employ perhaps the most effective pre-battle weapon in the traditional (highland) arsenal the eerie and disconcerting howl,"[7] also "The terror was heightened by their wild plaided appearance and the distinctive war-cry of the Gael a high, savage whooping sound "[8], A final explanation, with special reference to the rebel yells uttered by the Army of Northern Virginia is that the rebel yell was partly adapted from the specialized cries used by men experienced in fox hunting. I was told it was possible they were no longer making it. The Rebel Yell Bourbon Review: Who's it Distilled For? John Salmon Ford, in an 1896 interview with Frederic Remington, describes a charge his Texas Rangers made into a Comanche village in 1858 and that his troops gave the "Texas Yell". Finish: Sweet honey and light pepper and spice. Hopefully the wood work they are doing will justify the new and improved name. The "Rebel Yell" brand was created at Stitzel-Weller in the 1930s (with the idea of distilling it in limited batches for exclusive distribution in the Southern United States). This product is available only in our gift shop, and it may not always be available in a particular size. Rebel Yell, a Kentucky Straight Bourbon whiskey made by Luxcos new distillery, thelux Row Distillers, was released in 1972. Thanks for subscribing and watch for your first newsletter soon! We traveled all the way from our home in the Virgin Islands so they could experience the rides I loved as a kid growing up in DC in the 1980s. Yes, Racer 75 is a weak, uninspired name but Im glad to know that inbred rednecks who say they will no longer be renewing their seasons passes just because of the name change will no longer be in the park! Just like the Big Lot Stunt Coaster is still Italian Job, the Crypt is still Tomb Raider, Drop Tower is still Drop Zone, the Racer75 will always be THE REBEL YELL! Rebel Bourbon's history dates back to 1849 when William Larue Weller of the W. L. Weller & Sons Company invented the famous recipe that pioneered a wheat-based mash bill to replace rye. sberto 2 yr. ago It's up to the distributor in your state. When it was launched, it was only available south of the Mason-Dixon line. The Kentucky bourbon brand has unveiled a hip new look that reinforces the brands rebellious spirit and elevates the brands look, bridging the gap between its proud heritage and modern tastes, according to recent news from Luxco, the brands owner. Weller & Sons until it merged with the Stitzel distillery company which was founded around 1872. Rebel Yell is a brand of Kentucky made Straight Bourbon Whiskey that is made using more wheat than most Bourbons. In 2019 Rebel Yell went through a rebranding effort. I was in the first graduating class of a new high school in the far south end of town. While the connection to the Civil War was obvious, the name never bothered me. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. Like all bourbon, wheated bourbons are still required to contain at least 51 percent corn in the mashbill. (Originally published in, This page was last edited on 10 February 2023, at 16:18. Many Van Winkle fans have also embarked to find old bottles of Old Fitzgerald, Weller, and Rebel Yell so they can try some whiskey distilled when Pappy was running the business. He found two historical recordings of two different soldiers from two different states (North Carolina infantry, and Virginia cavalry), and he claims they sound nearly identical. Rebel yell refers to a war cry of the confederates. In an instant every voice with one accord vigorously shouted the 'Rebel yell,' which was so often heard on the field of battle. This drink is smooth, simple to drink, and it has a 100 percent proof that will keep you warm all night. 111 Reade StreetNew York, NY 10013Phone:212-240-9194, Hours:Mon-Fri 4 pm - 4amSat 5 pm - 4amSun 4 pm - 2am, Penelope Bourbon Distillery: A Tradition Of Excellence, It Is Perfect For Sipping Neat Or On The Rocks Wathens Bourbon: A Kentucky Tradition. In January 2021, Luxco was acquired by Midwest Grain Processors MGP the countrys largest third-party producer of sourced whiskey products. From there, most bourbons will contain malted barley, and rye. The company statement is fairly short on details about the expression, but weve reviewed previous editions, and this one looks to be similar: a higher-end, older, single-barrel version of Rebel Yell bourbon, part of an ongoing effort (along with the several redesigns the brand has undergone in recent years) to revamp the brands hard-partying reputation. I dont remember ever seeing any historical theming or educational features. While this change has certainly upset some people, its an understandable switch. Mother would catch him by the coattails and plead, 'Shush, Doctor, shush'. It's those quiet rebels you really have to worry about. Yep, they did. Click here to learn all about mash bills. I'll keep an eye out for it under just Rebel then, though I wouldn't think that would prevent stores from ordering it. Rebel 100 Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey is a 100-proof wheated 'bonded style' bourbon that retails for about $20 for a 750mL bottle. The woke folk are going to get their pitchforks and be at Lux Row's doorstep once they catch wind of a Rebel libation. For more information, please see our A big, round body with a palate that follows the nose - honey . All retail support materials will be updated tohighlight the new packaging and driveconsumers to the Band of Rebelsprogram online. Some Texas units mingled Comanche war whoops into their version of the yell. There are audio clips and film footage of veterans performing the yell many years later at Civil War veterans' reunions. Rebel Yell Single Barrel 2017 Release. Especially for those of us from the south. New packaging will beavailable nationally starting January 2015 inthe 750mL bottle, followed by the 1.75L bottlerolling out in March 2015. Lets be honest were talking about a $15 bottle of bourbon. and our ago One is less overtly pro-slavery and pro-confederacy. Without fail, it was Yellowstone or Rebel Yell. I thought that moniker just applied to Ole Miss fans. Why Changing Rebel Yell's Name is the Right Move Linen Cocktail Napkins: The Perfect Accessory For Your Next Party, What Color Mens Shoes Is Worn At Cocktail Event, The Right Bitters For The Perfect Manhattan, The Dos And Donts Of Feeding A Cocktail, A Cocktail Hour Harvest Table Is The Perfect Way To Snack And Mingle At Your Next Event, How The Cocktail Became An American Staple, How To Make Quick Cocktails: 3 Easy Recipes. Imagine how much the 'woke' folkswould flip out if they saw the old Rebel Yell labels! MEET OUR Extended family. Rebel Yell whiskey is matured in No. Rebel Yell American Whiskey is a uniquewhiskey blend that combines the smooth andsweet taste of our wheated bourbon with thespiciness of a rye. One last piece of news from the Kentucky distilleryRebel Yell 10 Year Single Barrel, which debuted back in 2016, will be available in a 2,600-bottle run this year. The people that rebelled against the United States because they thought they should be able to own people are bad. I have seen Father, ordinarily a model of reserve and dignity, leap up in the Metropolitan Opera House and let loose that piercing yell.". "Charley (Farnsley) concocted it in about 1937, and his uncle (Alexander Thurman Farnsley) owned W. L. Weller, on Main Street, at that time, with the Stitzler-Weller people, and they bottled it for him." Thinking of that happening to some of my favorite rides at my home parks in Central Florida, I would probably be upset about a ride losing its identity. So the arguments that this is another move to erase history arent accurate in my opinion. The Rebel Yell brand wasnt introduced until 1950, however, by Charles Farnsley, the mayor of Louisville at the time. With the news of the name change of the Rebel Yell being the last straw. I do understand how the move may look like the recent trend happening around the country to remove Confederate statues and monuments. The Yellow Stone brand was discontinued in 2015. More than 150 yearslater, Rebel Yell is bridging the gap betweenits proud heritage and modern times to honorthe universal spirit of rebellion that lives onin each of us. All Rebel Yell packaging has been updated toproduce a robust, uniform shelf presence forthe entire brand family. Yes, but the brand is now just Rebel Bourbon, the whiskey inside the bottle is still the same. It's the same recipe as the distillery's standard 80-proof expression, just bottled at a higher ABV. Despite the fact that Luxco now produces its own distillery, Rebel Yell appears to be produced by Heaven Hill because the label on the spirit claims it is bottled for. From the Lux Row website: "Aged in charred oak barrels . Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. Charles R. Farnsley (a former mayor of Louisville) owned the Brand. History of Rebel Yell in America - Dram Devotees Rebel Bourbon Review - Is It Good Whiskey? This may be one of the most underappreciated wheated bourbons available. DRINK UP YOUR DRINKING PARTNERS Revel in a range of Rebel WHISKEYS, Which are surprisingly smooth but never soft-spoken. As one soldier explained: "I always said if I ever went into a charge, I wouldn't holler! The finish, meanwhile, was eerily reminiscent of white dog, peppery, and again syrupy as it was on the nose. The distillery is located in Bardstown, a town known for its bourbon heritage. Rebel Yell is a brand of Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey produced by the Luxco distillery. Nothing about this bourbon, from a taste perspective, makes me want to willingly choose to buy a bottle. There are about 24,000 bottles in this year's batch. The results of honorable Men idly standing asideand remaining silent. In 2016, construction on the brand new Lux Row Distillery was begun. Rebel Reserve will also be updated and now called Rebel Yell Small Batch Reserve. Then arose that do-or-die expression, that maniacal maelstrom of sound; that penetrating, rasping, shrieking, blood-curdling noise that could be heard for miles and whose volume reached the heavenssuch an expression as never yet came from the throats of sane men, but from men whom the seething blast of an imaginary hell would not check while the sound lasted. Irish Whiskey and Scotch must be aged a minimum of 3 years and arent required to have an age statement. Fifty years later, that pissed off quite a few people. Confederate soldiers may have imitated or learned the yell from Native Americans. Rebel Yell is way better name than Racer75. We live in an era in which some people are always going to find fault with something that isnt politically correct. When Iwas a kid in my early/midteens,one of the guys in our small group that hung out together had an older brother. The flavors are going to be standard, the mouthfeel will be thin, and a cheap alcohol taste will come with it. Midwest Grain Processor acquired the Rebel Yell whiskey brand fromLuxco, a Kentucky distillery that was founded in 1918. Aaron joined the drinks industry in 2013. It is unclear when exactly the Rebel Yell brand was created, but the whiskey has been in production since at least the early 1900s. I had to go back and do some sleuthing, because it was one of the first things I noticed, the rebrand of the 10-yr. Thats just awful. The companys portfolio includes a wide variety of brands, including Rebel Yell, Evan Williams, Pearl Vodka, and Everclear. NGL the name was off putting and should have been changed decades ago. It was becoming my go to, especially for its price point. Hes teamed up with Master Sommeliers and Master Distillers to help educate people about the science that goes into alcohol production. For the Trailblazers. Rebel bourbon is distilled in Bardstown, Kentucky, at Lux Row Distillers. According to Lux Row Distillers, the new bottle includes an embossed rounded shoulder as well as new front and back labels. The Lux Row Distillery filled its first barrel three years later, in January 2018. The rebel yell has also been likened to the scream of a cougar. In the mid- to late-1850s in the Kansas Territory, "free-state" (meaning anti-slavery) forces battled against pro-slavery forces (as Kansas' determination on slavery was in violent dispute). But Racer 75? It started with a new bottle design and a new marketing campaign. Not sure why it shows the old one on mobile. As one of those small minority it has never really bothered me either. Its cheap and low quality but wholly drinkable. But again, I was never personally offended and never knew anyone who was. Other brands produced by Luxco include Ezra Brooks, David Nicholson and Blood Oath. I am only 50% impressed with the wit on this thread, Copyright 2022 Straightbourbon.com Hit it on the desktop version, and there's actually a rebranded 10-yr without the "Yell". WorldSeries2021 6 mo. But at $15 a bottle and national distribution, it is undoubtedly a lot easier to get your hands on a bottle of Ol Rebel. Partners & Sponsors I have been on Rebel Yell before and after the name change, and it is still the same fun ride. I was a bit confused at the store and thought maybe I'd been misreading my bottle all this time. This is just a (smart) calculation by a company looking to avoid a potential PR crisis which these days comes fast, often, and from ever angle. Racer 75 is fine, as long as they actually RACE the trains! Now at $17.95 for a 750 ml bottle, up from approximately $11-15 since Luxco's rebranding, it is neither a steal . Rebel Yell is now distilled and aged at Luxco's new distillery, Lux Row Distillers, in Bardstown, Kentucky. After the whiskey has been mashed, fermented and distilled, bourbon must be matured in new American oak barrels according to U.S. regulations. The name, Rebel Yell, was nothing more than a nod to the regions history by a multi-park company trying to be relevant to Virginians. While I wouldnt necessarily want to buy a bottle at either price point, it makes much more sense at $13. Find news, promotions, and other information pertaining to our diverse lineup of innovative brands as well as newsworthy headlines about our company and culture. Rebel Yell - the Next Chapter in A Storied History NDPs dont often disclose the source whiskey for their brands. Rebel Whiskey is owned by Luxco, but the whiskey is distilled at Heaven Hill Distillery. As a result, to avoid further confusion, we used the names interchangeably throughout this post. I've tried googling it to see if something had stopped the distribution or maybe a name change had occurred but so far I've turned up nothing. Shame on KD. "Rebel Yell will always be Rebel Yell. Any straight bourbon must be aged a minimum of two years, and if it doesnt display an age statement, it must be aged at least 4 years. Ive been going to this park for years but now its tainted. Each costs about $27 for a 750mL bottle. Then away to our left and rear some of Bragg's people set up 'the rebel yell'. Saint_Thomas_More 2 yr. ago Do you wish theyd keep the name. Luxco opened their distillery, Lux Row Distillers, in 2018, so they may begin distilling their own whiskey for Rebel Bourbon. [2] One description says it was a cross between an "Indian whoop and wolf-howl". The company was eventually dissolved, and production ceased in the early 2000s. While you can still find a bottle of Rebel around that price at major retail stores, youre more likely to pay about $18 for a 750ml at your local liquor store. I rarely drank it before and just recently started mixing drinks so I went through the remaining 3/4 of the bottle in about a month. 'Woh-who-ey! Billy Idol wrote the song because of the bourbon. Review: The Coaster at Goats on the Roof | Mountain Coaster, Review: Goliath at Six Flags Great America, Review: Twisted Timbers at Kings Dominion, Outlaw Run at Silver Dollar City | Full Review, Dollywood 2019 Trip Report: Part 2 Luminights & Lightning Rod, Dollywood 2019 Trip Report: Part 1 Wildwood Grove & Dragonflier, Destination Connecticut: Wooden Coaster Paradise, Kings Island Trip Report & Future Speculation, Cedar Point Trip Report Pt 1 Mean Streak Update & Cedar Point Shores.
Dua Lipa Versace Dress Dupe, Articles D