Website Take me there. It follows the Colorado River, and youll regularly get views of the river as it winds through the landscape below. I used a Thermarest Neoair Xlite for this trail. I hope you have fun out there in a few weeks! } KOKOPELLI TRAIL 2021 (Documentary) | Our First Time Bikepacking - YouTube The final climb will be on a paved road, but by this point, youll probably be ready for easier riding. You and your friends, split the course into 2 to 6 segments. To facilitate these efforts, we rely on our Bikepacking Collective and the greater bikepacking community to call attention to critical issues and opportunities that are discovered while riding these routes. On the 142-mile Kokopelli's Trail, a group of bikepackers race against dusk on Porcupine Rim, a. Press J to jump to the feed. New Kokopelli Trail FKT - BIKEPACKING.com Topeak multitool with tubeless repair kit, Kokopelli Trail info from the Bureau of Land Management. Doesnt this sound like a better way to end a trip as a descent? I was thinking about this quite a bit while riding as I saw this question posed a few times elsewhere - I am not a gravel rider so my opinion on whether you can or cannot do it may not be the most educated, but there were long stretches of sand and slickrock and chunky jeep roads that I don't think would be too much fun on a gravel bike. Stepping away from the 9-5 lifestyle, discover the benefits of scaring yourself, and connect with nature to find meaning in everyday life. The Kokopelli Trail crosses the Colorado River and ends at Moab's Slickrock area. Ultimate Arizona Trail Bikepacking Planning Guide, Gear Review If I Rode the Arizona Trail Race Again, Gear Review If I Rode the Colorado Trail Race Again, Gear Review If I Rode the Kokopelli Trail Again, Gear Review If I Rode The Tour Divide Again, Gear Review If I Hiked The Appalachian Trail Again, Gear Review If I Hiked The Long Trail Again, Gear Review If I Hiked the Pacific Crest Trail Again, Gear Review If I hiked the Continental Divide Trail Again, Gear Review If I Hiked the Colorado Trail Again. Many of the BLM campgrounds lining the trail do not have water, or if they do its not potable. I rode the Kokopelli Trail as my first multi-day bikepacking trip. Kokopelli's Trail | Bureau of Land Management } I dont recommend riding Porcupine Rim without a full-suspension bike. If youve learned a few things or have been entertained, consider becoming a Patreon member. What puffy jacket do you use? The Kokopelli Trail is a 143-mile desert bikepacking route that connects Fruita, Colorado, and Moab, Utah. One consideration is to bring a, If you want to execute a successful trip, it will certainly behoove you to do some checking and planning during the weeks leading up to your trip. One group dropped water at Rabbit Valley and Dewey Bridge, the other group drove the dirt road in an SUV to Fisher Valley and left a cache there. The Kokopelli Trail is an 136.4 mile multi use recreational trail that goes from Fruita, CO to Moab, UT. You might also be able to get water from a spigot at Westwater Ranger Station, but this source is not always operational. Bikepack it, chase the FKT, ride it with vehicle support - experience it however you like. South L, CA. The . For more recommendations of puffy jackets, see our Best Down Jackets or Best Synthetic Jacket guides. The closes airports to fly into would beMoab (CNY) itself, but the cost would be extremely high. It's a marin pine mountain 2 but I don't think they make the purple anymore sadly. Knowing what to expect as far as water sources, weather forecast, trail condition, and detours, are going to be key to having the best possible outcome. Find a detailed guide on the route below including parking, resupply and how to plan the perfect trip. They did say you can leave your car at Moab Motorsports located at25 E Center St, Moab, UT 84532. In terms of ride-a-bility the Kokopelli offers plenty of it and very little HAB. I love having a one-bike-fits-all quiver. This is certainly not a trip for. If you finished on a weekend you could try and hitch but finding a ride with an open rack and empty seat could prove difficult. } After the first 20 miles of singletrack, youll ride about 30 miles of dirt roads through Rabbit Valley, Castle Rocks, and Coal Draw. The Kokopelli Trail starts out on some single track affording beautiful views of the Colorado River. NO PERSONAL WATERCRAFT ARE ALLOWED IN CROSSWINDS MARSH. This bucket-list bikepacking trip is an adventure of the soul and a test of your commitment. The race includes the following categories: Kokopelli 100 Ultra Marathon Individual 104 miles with 11k of climbing, Kokopelli 100 Ultra Marathon Relay same course as the individual but with 2 to 4 people. and filtered from there before the big climbs. Find our Kokopelli Trail route guide here. The trail is signposted with blue and white logo stickers as well as brown arrow signs along the way. Hot on the heels of Lachlan Mortons record that was just set in May of this year, Kurt set a new mens fastest known time as well, knocking 19 minutes off of Lachlans already impressive ride. From here, the climb into the La Sal Mountains starts in earnest. If youre flying from out of town, I recommend you rent a car and spend a day caching water (or pay a guiding company to cache water for you, though I dont know of any that specifically offer that service). Starts at the Westwater Airstrip. Once you arrive in Moab, there are countless mountain bike trails to explore. We were granted access by the weather up and over the La Sals unlike our previous attempt. The Ogre is one of our favorite bikepacking bikes in our Best Bikepacking Bikes guide, MYOG clone of the Swift Industries Zeitgeist, Our tent set up for bike camping on the Kokopelli Trail, MSR Pocket Rocket 2 stove, which is the overall winner in our Best Backpacking Stoves guide, Toaks 750 mL pot, which is the overall winner in our Best Backpacking Cookpot guide. The Kokopelli Trail ends in Moabs Slickrock. We recognize Indigenous Peoples as the traditional stewards of this land. BIKEPACKING.com is dedicated to exploration by bicycle. Colorado River is too silty to filter, and some of the only other water sources along the route arent safe to drink due to the waters arsenic levels. Grand Junction also has a regional airport and car rental options for caching water. Despite reports you can leave a car at the Moab Information Center, you CAN NOT. Find details on their records alongside a few photos taken by Rugile Kaladyte here, Photos by Rugile Kaladyte (@rugilekaladyte). There are plenty of camping options along the way including the BLM campgrounds listed below; some may require a small fee. Non-stop vistas of far away mountains and canyons might lure one into a sort of topographic pomposity. Ive used the National Geographic Maps Moab North and Colorado National Monument for paper maps. Although they all had different intentions for their rides, both Kaitlyn and Kurt rode hard and fast to set two new fastest known times on the route. After a day of waiting for the roads to dry, we bailed to the interstate, which was luckily still nearby. One section requires a rider to lift your bike over car-sized boulders. Thanks, me too!! This is the way to enter Moab! Joel Caldwell (joelcaldwell.com) A few miles after Rabbit Valley it is highly recommended to take the scenic off-route detour on the Western Rim trail. Please keep the conversation civil, constructive, and inclusive, or your comment will be removed. To schedule an appointment for your school or for more information, please call Crosswinds Marsh at: (734) 654-1220. You should be in excellent physical shape and have previous bikepacking experience to attempt a self-supported bikepacking trip on this route. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. From there, youll be closer to the start of the Kokopelli Trail. Starting with the Ruby Canyon Section, youll continue on through Rabbit Valley, Westwater, Fish Ford, and Yellow Jacket Canyon sections. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. The Kokopelli Trail is one of the most coveted bikepacking routes out there, and for good reason. It is a pullover but has a zip on the side and at the front which makes it very easy to pull on and off keeping hats or helmets in place during the transition. While riding, obey all public and private land use restrictions and rules, carry proper safety and navigational equipment, and of course, follow the #leavenotrace guidelines. Its so good youll want to do it again once youve done it. This epic bikepacking adventure promises an incredible final descent as you wearily make your way into Moab. New for 2023 Cleaned up the sheets and adjusted the colors for better viewing. width:100%; Bikepacking Packrafts | Inflatable Packrafts - KOKOPELLI From there, the trail traverses through the Cottonwood Canyon, Beaver Mesa, and all La Sal Loop sections leading up to your final stretch. If you enter this way, and depending on the time of day you may have to pay a $2 entrance fee, or 5$ vehicle fee. Terms of Use: As with each bikepacking route guide published on BIKEPACKING.com, should you choose to cycle this route, do so at your own risk. Finished this classic route in 3 full days, 2 nights out on the trail, 10-12 hours riding per day. @media screen and ( max-width: 100% ) { Elevation gain: 13,595 feet/ 4,144 meters, Elevation loss: 14,058 feet/ 4,285 meters. I create technical resources, reviews, inspirational videos, how-to guides and more. Possibly one of the most well-known bikepacking routes in the USA (if not North America), the Kokopelli Trail is one of the best ways to explore the beautiful Colorado and Utah desert on your own two The Kokopelli has very few water sources along the route. Starting with the Ruby Canyon Section, youll continue on through Rabbit Valley, Westwater, Fish Ford, and Yellow Jacket Canyon sections. Kokopelli Trail; Best of Moab Mnt. The riding is primarily non-technical dirt roads and Jeep double track, but it is about 15% singletrack. The Kokopelli Trail is not for beginner cyclists. The Kokopelli Trail is one of the most coveted bikepacking routes out there, and for good reason. Since it was first designed the Porcupine Rim Trail has been built which means you have the option of making it 150+ miles. Do you have a zipper or pull over? I used a Tarptent Aeon Li tent for the Kokopelli Trail. From the Loma exit (exit 15) off of I70 you travel west on the gravel road to the trailhead on the left. The Kokopelli Trail crosses the Colorado River and ends at Moabs world famous Slickrock area. Heres what several members of our four-top riding group had to say: The Kokopelli Trail is a beautiful route winding from Fruita to Moab that combines primitive roads of all varieties with surprisingly technical single track to keep you guessing about what lies around each bend. Find out what makes bikepacking the Lower Deschutes River Trail unique and why its Oregons best trail for your first overnight mountain biking trip. There is a reliable stream in Castle Valley, just before the road climbs into the La Sals. More. We only want the same thing as youthe best gear at the best price. 150 miles. You can get to Rabbit Valley and Dewey Bridge with a 2-wheel drive vehicle. *This video is for the AZTR but the information is universal. Order Online. After a hot, exposed climb to Top of the World road, youll descend Rose Garden Hill and wonder how anyone could drive a Jeep over that. After riding through the Kokopelli Loops trail network, youll get a taste of your first hike-a-bike down to Salt Creek (which isnt safe to drink). On the DiscoverMoab.com website there is a list of companies offering shuttle service to Grand Junction. Its a condensed version of my bigger bikepacking guides, which include the Arizona Trail, Tour Divide and Colorado Trail. There are plenty of camping options along the way including the BLM campgrounds listed below; some may require a small fee. From the parking lot for the Marys Loop trail system the Kokopelli winds its way southwest over improved roads, four-wheel-drive roads, pavement, and single-track. The Kokopelli Trail is a classic bikepacking route that spans 140 miles of rugged jeep roads and singletrack through some of the most captivating terrain in the area. Bikepacking with dogsIs this a good idea? Timing bikepacking the Kokopelli trail with the weather can be a challenge. KOKOPELLI TRAIL GUIDE - BIKEPACKING - One of Seven Project
Riley Smith Funeral Home Dequincy, La, Parkour Richmond, Va, Articles K