99:1 The jewels of a Masters' Lodge are suspended from blue velvet collars, bordered and embroidered with silver. K. S.--Jubela, you stand charged as accessory to the death of our Grand Master, Hiram Abiff. From Josephus we learn, that although seven years were occupied in building it, yet, during the whole time, it rained not in the daytime, that the workmen might not be obstructed in their labor, and from sacred history it appears that there was neither the sound of hammer, nor axe, nor any tool of iron, heard in the house while it was building. In some Lodges, the brethren on this occasion attire the candidate with a very rich apron and yoke. SW: We are all Masons, Worshipful Master. On being brought to more light, what did you first discover more than you had heretofore done? and satisfy them that I was in possession of the. ii. A. Kneeling on both my naked knees, both hands resting on the Holy Bible, square, and compasses; in which due form I took the solemn oath of a Master Mason, which is as follows: (Here give the obligation; but it is never required--being only a matter of form.). 138:1 Our traditions further say, that the time when this celebrated use went into the H. of H. (Holy of Holies) to offer up his orisons to God, at the hour of H (high) twelve, the Ark of the Covenant had not been removed thither, for that took place at the dedication, after which no one was permitted to enter but the H. P. (High Priest), and he only ours a year, on the great day of expiation, at which time he had a string or belt around his waist, which extended into the court of the tabernacle, that he might be drawn forth from the S. S. (Sanctum Santorum) in case sudden death should occur while he officiated there.--Historical Land-marks, vol. The Senior Deacon then answers with one rap (), and opens the door. Master takes off his hat, and repeats the following prayer: "May the blessing of Heaven rest upon us, and all regular Masons; may brotherly love prevail, and every moral and social virtue cement us. A. When the Lodge is opened, the Junior Warden's column is turned down, and the Senior Warden's turned up, at his right hand. You have this evening represented one of the greatest men, and perhaps the greatest Mason, the world ever knew, viz., our Grand Master, Hiram Abiff, who was slain just before the completion of King Solomon's Temple. The Secretary commences to call off a lot of Bible names, to which each brother responds "Here!" have you seen any strangers pass this way? The Deacon then closes the door, repairs to the centre of the Lodge-room before the altar, and sounds his rod on the floor three times (), which is responded to by the Master with three raps of the gavel, when the Senior Deacon makes the sign of a Master Mason (see Fig. One of the brothers now takes off the jewel from the candidate's neck, and all repair to the Master's seat in the east, and report: Answer--A westerly course, where our weary brother sat down to rest and refresh himself. FELLOWCRAFT MASON- 2ND DEGREE - STAIRCASE TRACING BOARD / LECTURE PROP. Q. Q. I was directed to wait with patience until the Master was informed of my request and his answer returned. Masonic Memory Techniques - Phoenixmasonry The brethren then all take their seats, and the candidate with them. FOR MASTER MASONS The ceremony is conducted in a tiled lodge opened on the third degree of Masonry. To preserve the reputation of the fraternity unsullied must be your constant care; and, for this purpose, it is your province to recommend to your inferiors obedience and submission; to your equals, courtesy and affability; to your superiors, kindness and condescension. My brother of Tyre, what shall we do? PDF Masonic Principles Proficiency for the Entered Apprentice Degree that my breast had been torn open." You will remember in whom you put your trust, with that divine assurance, that "he who endureth unto the end, the same shall be saved." The Worshipful Master, who ordered me to the Senior Warden in the west, who taught me how to wear my apron as a Master Mason. W. M.--You will cause him to kneel on his naked knees, both hands resting on the Holy Bible, square, and compasses. Shield and defend us from the evil intentions of our enemies, and support us under the trials and afflictions we are destined to endure, while travelling through this vale of tears. "Mortals, now indulge a tear, For Mortality is here: See how wide her trophies wave Oer the slumbers of the grave! further light in Masonry, by being raised to the sublime Degree of a Master Mason. Amen.". of!the!! We have several, and they are divided into two classes. Q. The second degree is the Fellow Craft, which represents manhood, the middle period of life. After the candidate is lowered, one of the ruffians says: Let us plant an acacia at the head of the grave, in order to. W. M.--You will repeat your name, and say after me: "I, Peter Gabe (Master gives three raps with his gavel, when all present assemble round the altar), of my own free-will and accord, in the presence of Almighty God, and this worshipful Lodge, erected to him and dedicated to the holy Sts. "A few years afterward, on his return to his brethren in Vermont, he stated to them, as I have been credibly informed and believe, that he found in the Western and Southwestern States different systems of lecturing prevailing, and that, upon presenting Gleason's Lectures to them, they were objected to by the different Grand Masters, who would not sanction his lecturing in their respective jurisdictions, unless he would adopt the lectures then in use among them; that, desiring to pursue his occupation there, he learned the different systems of lecturing existing among them, and made use of his newly acquired knowledge under the sanction of the respective Grand Masters." The body of our Grand Master was buried three times: first, in the rubbish of the Temple; secondly, on the brow of a hill west of Mount Moriah; and, thirdly and lastly, as near the "Sanctum Sanctorum, or Holy of Holies," of King Solomon's Temple, as the Jewish law would permit; and Masonic tradition informs us that there was erected to his memory a Masonic monument, consisting of "a beautiful virgin, weeping over a broken column; before her was a book open; in her right hand a sprig of acacia, in her left an urn; behind her stands Time, unfolding and counting the, ringlets of her hair.". 138:2 A similar divergence from uniformity will be found in describing the p. 139 places where the above-mentioned instruments were supposed to have been used with such terrible effect. Thus, brother, we close our lecture on the emblems with the solemn thought of death. The brethren now all kneel around the body on one knee. W. M.--Brother Senior Warden, do you know any further business before this Lodge of Master Masons before we proceed to close? This is also used occasionally by some Masters in the lecture: S. W.--At the right hand of the Senior Warden in the west. (Gives one rap (), when the Junior Deacon, at the inner door of the Lodge, rises to his feet.) W. M.--Has any brother present any thing to offer for the benefit of Masonry? How many years does it take reach a 33 degree in Freemasonry? On both points of the compasses, extending from my naked left to my right breast, which was to teach me that, as the most vital parts of man are contained within the breast, so the most excellent tenets of our institution are contained between the points of the compasses, which are, friendship, morality, and brotherly love. They will be learned in the lodge in which you will be raised to the Sublime Degree of Master Mason. (i.e. W. M.--Brother Senior Warden, how should Masons meet? 5 The Jewels of a Lodge "The Jewels of a Lodge are six: The Square, Level, Plumb, Rough Ashlar, Perfect Ashlar, and Trestle Board. They shuffle about a few moments, when they are called to order by the sound of the gavel from the Master's seat in the east, who inquires in a loud voice as follows: W. M. (now styled King Solomon.) PDF A CEREMONY OF OBLIGATION RENEWAL FOR MASTER MASONS - California Freemason For them, learning the Masonic work happens fast like the below scene from the Matrix. in a loud voice, until he calls that of the First Ruffian, "Jubela! They usually meet on the Ground Floor of King Solomon's Temple. Captain--What! During this degree, the importance of education and work, and the awesome power of God, are taught to the Mason. Senior Warden, one. A. Thus we find that "Hiram made an end of doing all the work that he made King Solomon for the house of the Lord." The candidate generally gets this from some of the brethren who are well posted in the work. This Masonic third degree can only be offered by Masonic lodges and cannot be taken as a form of free or paid course online. You will therefore suffer yourself to be again hoodwinked, and kneel where you are, and pray orally or mentally, as you please. At this time Brother Barney wrote a portion of them in cipher. "Further, that I will not aid, nor be present at, the initiation, passing, or raising of a woman, an old man in his dotage, a young man in his nonage, an atheist, a madman, or fool, knowing them to be such. [paragraph continues] Master's carpet is a large map that Lodges generally keep, which is highly embellished with Masonic emblems). Remember it more "especially to the household of the faithful.". W. M.--The password is right. In the mean time, it is hoped and expected that every brother will demean himself as becomes a man and a Mason. p. 178. 7, p. 18), which would be three times, then, turning to the Senior Warden, says: "My worthy brother of Tyre, what shall we do?". W. M.--Why leave you the west, and travel toward the east! A. (Scottish Rite 1st - 32nd 'Degree' Explanations), 'Masonic Ritual for use by The Most Brother Grand Secretary (turning to the Secretary of the Lodge), you will go out and see to calling the several rolls of the craft, and report to me as soon as possible. . The ground has been newly broken; this has the appearance of a grave," pointing to the candidate on the floor. W. M.--Brother Senior Warden, have you any alterations or additions to make to the minutes? never--no, never dies. 126:1 Among such a vast concourse of people as were assembled together at the construction of this edifice, it is natural to expect every variety of propensities, both good and evil. p. 127 It testifies our faith in the resurrection of the body, and while it inculcates a practical lesson of prudence and unshrinking fidelity, it inspires the most cheering hone of that final reward which belongs alone to "just made perfect."--Lexicon. Jewels, Chains, Collars & W. M. (lifting the candidate up.) It describes ceremonies, including the those used for the three major initiations and the burial rite. I am decidedly of opinion that our tradition is merely allegorical; for there can be no doubt but the Chief Architect was present at the dedication of the Temple. Third Ruffian, Jubelum, Candidate. Conductor--From the real grip of a Fellow Craft to the pass grip of a Master Mason. King Solomon ordered them to divide in parties, and travel three east, three west, three north, and three south, with others whom he should appoint, in search of the ruffians. blessed be God, we pause not our feet at the first or second step; but, true to our principles, look forward for greater light. Answer--Most Worshipful King Solomon, we are but Fellow Crafts; we therefore know nothing about the Master's word or the Master's Degree. degree live in Texas. pdf, Grand Lodge of Nevada Fellowcraft Ritual in S. W.--As the sun rises in the east, to open and govern the day, so rises the Worshipful Master in the east (here the Master gives three raps (), when all in the Lodge rise to their feet, the Master rising first), to open and govern his Lodge, set the Craft to work, and give them proper instructions. He cometh forth as a flower, and is cut down: he fleeth also as a shadow, and continueth not. 1, The "work," or rather the lectures in the several degrees of Masonry, more especially in the first three degrees (masonically termed the Blue Degrees, or Blue Lodge), differ so much in each State that it would be a difficult thing to get exactly at the proper responses to some of the Masonic interrogatories. The Senior Warden approaches the candidate and ties the apron upon him, with the flap and corners turned down, and says: The conductor now conducts the candidate back to the Worshipful Master in the east. K. S.--Not been seen since high twelve yesterday! What have we done? ), Conductor--Cain. Ruffian--What horrid deed is this we have done? have compassion on the children of thy creation, administer them comfort in time of trouble, and save them with an everlasting salvation. 137:1 We are told that when the Temple was nearly finished, it was customary at the hour of H. (high) XII., when the men were called from labor to refreshment, for H. A. At this command the Secretary passes out of the Lodge, accompanied by ten or fifteen of the brethren, into the ante-room, leaving the door open, so that the candidate can hear the rolls called. B., who has been regularly initiated Entered Apprentice, passed to the Degree of Fellow Craft, and now wishes. Some Lodges use a large drum, others roll a large cannon-ball across the ante-room floor, letting it strike on a cushion placed against the wall. But we are assured, that not only were the plans drawn and the specifications approved, but every other preparation was made for completing the work before the foundations were laid; even the stone and timber were carved, marked, and numbered before they were removed from the quarry and the forest; and, hence nothing was required, when the materials were conveyed to Jerusalem, but skilled labor to make it perfect and complete from foundation to cope-stone. . In the United States they say that the first attack was made at the south door, the second at the west door, and finally at the east. Ruffian (i.e., S. W.) gives candidate a brush with his right hand across the left breast, and at the same time lets him pass, the conductor hurrying him on toward the east end of the Lodge, where the Master is stationed to perform the part of the Third Ruffian, Jubelum, who is generally provided with a buckskin bag stuffed with hair, to represent a setting-maul. After saluting the Wardens, what did you first discover? Jubelum!! (The signs are just the same as at opening. Let him enter in the name of God, and be received in due and ancient form. The Badge of a Mason signifies, among other things, that Masons are workers and builders. Master Mason Requirements | Horseshoes and Handgrenades Conductor here instructs candidate to pass his thumb from the second joint to space beyond, which is the second space. The grand Masonic word on the five points of fellowship. I will suffer you to pass on to the Senior Warden's station in the west, for his examination. In the Adonhiramite Masonry, which was used there about 1787, the doors are not mentioned at all.--The Freemason's Treasury, p. 307. : Mah-Hah-Bone, which is given on the five points of fellowship, and in low breath. Yet, O Lord! The Master should instruct the candidate (and he generally does) how to make the signs before he gets up from the altar, after taking the obligation. that my throat had been cut across, my tongue torn out by its roots, and buried in the rough sands of the sea, at low-water mark, where the tide ebbs and flows twice in twenty-four hours, ere I had been accessory to the death of so good a man as our Grand Master, Hiram Abiff.' These generous principles are to extend further. Senior Warden, one. Masonic degrees are rites of initiation that teach lessons of honor, morality, and virtue. [1994] (Wikileaks), Masonic 3rd Degree: Master Mason. There are three of them, and only three of us. King Solomon, believing him to be indisposed, ordered strict search and due inquiry to be made for him through the several apartments of the Temple, that he might be found, if possible. According to the Jewish law, no interments were permitted within the walls of the city, and as it was unlawful for the cohens or priests to pass over a grave, it became necessary to place marks wherever a dead body had been interred, to enable them to avoid it. John, do hereby and hereon most solemnly and sincerely promise and swear, that I will always hail, ever conceal, and never reveal any of the secrets, arts, parts, point or points, of the Master Masons' Degree, to any person or persons whomsoever, except it be to a true and lawful brother of this Degree, or in a regularly constituted Lodge of Master Masons, nor unto him, or them, until by strict trial, due examination, or lawful information, I shall have found him, or them, as lawfully entitled to the same as I am myself. W. M.--Has he made suitable proficiency in the preceding degree? There is a lecture to this Degree, as well as in the other Degrees, but it is not generally given by the Master to the candidate on the night of his "raising." A. We will carry the body a westerly course from the Temple to the brow of the hill west of Mount Moriah, where I have dug a grave due east and west, six feet perpendicular. The particular duties of the leaders of the respective bands of craftsmen are rehearsed. 12, p. 67), and letting his hand slip off quickly, he reports as follows: "Owing to the reason before given, the flesh cleaves from the bone, and the body cannot be so raised.". With the trowel, spread liberally the cement of brotherly love and affection; and, circumscribed by the compass, let us ponder well our words and actions, and let all the energies of our minds and the affections of our souls be employed in the attainment of our Supreme Grand Warden's approbation. S. W.--I have; from west to east, and from east to west again. The Obligation of a Master Mason that I need to memorize is huge! The Senior Deacon steps to the Master, and whispers in his ear, "Tubal Cain.". (pdf), Order of Demolay Ritual - Masonic Youth Organization This interpretation is borne out in the higher Degrees of sublime Masonry. No! "This is an . Masonic ritual and symbolism - Wikipedia W. M.--Is it of his own free-will and accord? (See Fig. The real memory-taxing part of Lodge ritual is in the degree work, whether the Degree conferral, or the Lectures and Charges. Brother Gabe, you discover me approaching you from the east, under the duegard (some say--step, duegard, and sign) of a Master Mason; and, in token of the further continuance of my brotherly love and favor, I present. 6, p. Sec.--Assemble, Craftsmen! As the waters fail from the sea, and the flood decayeth and drieth up, so man lieth down, and riseth not up till the heavens shall be no more. Hiram Abiff - Wikipedia (See page 247.). Memory in the lodge. When the candidate is fully dressed, the door is unceremoniously thrown open, and he, in company with others, is permitted to enter the Lodge. After the candidate is conducted to the east, before the Master, the conductor takes his position behind the candidate, with a hoodwink either in his hand or secreted in his pocket. . Master Mason Quiz | Freemasons Community He is ultimately responsible for every other lodge officer and their duties, every lodge committee, ritual and degree work, Masonic education, social functions, fundraisers, District and Grand Lodge liaison, Trestle Board communication, etc. I was then asked by what other right or benefit I expected to gain admission. (See Fig. the end of man, and of the aspiring hopes of all faithful Masons? Let him be found, if possible. It is very true, we have been associated with these three ruffians, but we have not committed any actual crime". One can become a 32nd Degree Mason in a relatively short period of time depending on one's obedience. What say you, guilty or not guilty? Hiram is presented as the chief architect of King Solomon's Temple. By this time the candidate is dressed, his apron is tied on as a Master Mason. I fear he is indisposed. (See Fig. Each organization's degrees focus on a different theme, and together, they create a larger story that teaches Freemasons valuable lessons through . Ruffian--Give me the secrets of a Master Mason! (Mirror Site), Illustrations of Masonry, by Capt. 113:1 CASSIA--sometimes improperly and ignorantly used for acacia. Conductor--By the pass and token of the pass of a Master Mason. (pdf), Masonry of Adoption: (Masonic Rituals for Women) Examination for Membership, Grand Lodge of Indiana Form 13 Petition for the The spade, which dug the grave of our Grand Master, may soon dig ours; the setting-maul, which terminated his earthly existence, may be among the casualties which will, sooner or later, terminate ours; the coffin, which received his remains, may soon receive ours; the grave, that abode for the dead, may soon be our grave; the acacia (that evergreen which once marked the temporary resting-place of the illustrious dead), that bloomed and flourished at the head of our Grand Master's grave, and was the cause of its timely discovery, is an emblem of our faith in the immortality of the soul, which never! As soon as a lodge accepts you, you are an apprentice. A. ), A. 115:1 Their real names (if there be any thing real in the whole transaction, which is more than doubtful), as preserved in a subsidiary degree. This is all intended to produce its effect upon the ears of the candidate. The candidate is divested of all wearing apparel, except his shirt and drawers, and if he has not the latter, he is furnished with a pair by the brethren preparing him. . ", Our cause is just; let us rush in and seize them.". For example, this section is from Entered Apprentice degree memory work: S. D.--Brother Junior Deacon, is he worthy and well qualified? THE THIRD, OR MASTER MASON'S DEGREE. - sacred-texts.com 27. r/freemasonry. right hand in token of friendship and brotherly love, and invested me with the grip and word, ordered. Brethren on the right and left, and communicate it in the East. however, the connection of the widow's son with the building of the Temple was endeared to the two monarchs; and, to preserve and consecrate his memory, a new arrangement of discipline was adopted; and a legend incorporated into the system, which served to promote a similar object with the fabulous narrative used in the spurious initiations, viz., to inculcate and impress on the candidate's mind the doctrine of a resurrection and a future state--Theo. Brother Junior Grand Warden, you will see my orders duly executed. The Senior Deacon steps to the altar, takes the compasses, repairs to the door, opens it, and says: S. D.--Let him enter, and be received in due form. ii. "Further, that I will always aid and assist all poor, distressed, worthy Master Masons, their widows and orphans, knowing them to be such, as far as their necessities may require, and my ability permit, without material injury to myself and family. What followed? When all has been again quiet in the Lodge for a few seconds, the brethren jump up, commence laughing, singing, &c., exclaiming: No work to-day. His business is to teach the subordinate Lodges the Ritual of Freemasonry, and he is paid generally by salary, or so much from each Lodge before whom he may lecture. So help me God, and keep me steadfast in the due performance of the same.". Jubelo!!!" Jubelo! The beautiful virgin weeping over the broken column denotes the unfinished state of the Temple, likewise the untimely death of our Grand Master, Hiram Abiff; the book open before her, that his virtues lay on perpetual record; the sprig of acacia in her right hand, the divinity of the body; the urn in her left, that his ashes were therein safely deposited, under the "Sanctum Sanctorum, or Holy of Holies," of King Solomon's Temple. that my throat had been cut across," &c., &c. The second was the voice of Jubelo, exclaiming: "Oh! The drawers are rolled up just above the candidate's knees, and both arms are taken out of his shirt-sleeves, leaving his legs and breast bare. Behold! The York Masons name the seaside; the Americans say, Mount Moriah; the French, Monet Lebanon. I (state your name) in the presence of the most high and this worthy worshipful and warranted lodge of Master Mason's, regularly held, assembled and properly dedicated, Of my own free will and accord do hereby and Hereon most solemnly and sincerely promise and swear that I will always hele ever conceal and never reveal any . Amen. A. Breast to breast--that you will ever keep in your breast a brother's secrets, when communicated to and received by you as such, murder and treason excepted. One of the ruffians exclaims: Now let us make our escape out of the country. The Master kneels at the head of the candidate, and, taking off his hat, repeats the following prayer, which may be found in all the Masonic Monitors: Thou, O God! J. D.--At the right hand of the Worshipful Master in the east. 16, p. of such, and not unto him or them until by due. A. ", Master (as K. S.) makes the "grand hailing sign of distress" (see Fig. I'll hear no more of your cavilling! p. 175. They then commence to search about the candidate, lifting off the canvas, feeling about his neck, &c., &c.: finally, one of the brethren, taking hold of the jewel which is attached to the yoke about the candidate's neck, exclaims: "Let us go and report that we find nothing on or about the body excepting the jewel of his office.". Master, pointing to these pillars, says: "These are called the three grand Masonic columns or pillars, and are designated Wisdom, Strength, and Beauty. It is right around 490 words long. All the brethren take their seats but the Master and candidate, when the Master continues: "Brother Gabe, you will now repair to the east, and receive an historical account of this degree.". K. S.--Divide yourselves and travel, as before, with positive instructions to find the ruffians, and with as positive assurance that, if you do not, the twelve shall be deemed the murderers, and suffer severally, for the crime committed. The Master Mason Degree Ritual | Secret Societies Exposed At the revival in 1717, they were called setting-tool, setting maul, and setting-beetle; later in the century, it was the twenty-four-inch gauge, square, and gavel; then the setting-tool, square, and rule; and now the plumb-rule, square, and strong or heavy maul.--The Freemason's Treasury, p. 306.
Asce 7 16 Components And Cladding, Articles M