Santa Clara County Sheriffs Captain James Jensen among 4 people indicted by grand jury yesterday according to DA Jeff Jensen @nbcbayarea. First published on August 7, 2020 / 11:34 AM. Monday through Friday through 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. As NBC Bay Area first reported more than a week ago, a criminal grand jury has been looking into allegations of "pay to play" for concealed gun permits in the South Bay. A look at the best video roundup of snow falling across California, Has CA hit the all-time state snow record? Rich Urena, who will head the Sheriff's. Jensen, 58, retired in 2013. She is now on paid . San Jos Spotlight is a project of the San Jos News Bureau, a 501(c)(3) charitable organization | Tax ID: 82-5355128. she can't talk freely, then she needs to step down," Hirokawa said. Local News | Public File for KBCW-TV / KBCW 44 Cable 12. Kristi Myllenbeck covers all things Cupertino, from crime and breaking news to education and development. Nielsen testified at a grand jury hearing July 21 that he and West met with sheriff officials and discussed offering donations and other payments with the hopes of getting bulk CCW applications approved. The second half of the agreed-upon donation amount wasstymied by the DA investigation, authorities said. When asked if Jensen was acting on his own or working with Sheriff Smith, Rosen said that because the investigation was ongoing, it was not appropriate for him to comment on the possible roles of other individuals. Christine Nagaye, Palo Alto Police Chief Robert Jonsen and sheriff Sgt. "They should not be for sale. Oakland police investigating spate of shootings that left one dead, five wounded A Santa Clara County Sheriff's captain, a gun parts manufacturer, and two local lawyers - one a prominent political backer - have been indicted by a grand jury on felony bribery and. This all took place in 2018, while Sheriff Laurie Smith, who had the authority to grant the CCW licenses, was in a race for reelection, both in the primary and general elections. Allen, 51, has mostly worked in the jail system. All rights reserved, Santa Clara County Sheriff's Campaign Scandal Widens, Donors to Sheriff's Political Campaigns Far More Likely to Get Concealed Gun Permits, Los Gatos Mom Accused of Hosting Alcohol-Fueled Teen Parties Attacked in Jail, Hospitalized, Viral Kids' Star Ms. Rachel Is Taking a Break From Social Media After Backlash Over Co-Star Who Uses They/Them Pronouns, Another Bay Area Storm This Weekend: Rain and Snow Forecast. The state attorney general is investigating possible civil rights violations in the jail system, and Smith is fighting a political corruption accusation brought by a civil grand jury that claims she granted concealed firearm licenses to political supporters. Its a small town community I like interacting with.. All Access Digital offer for just 99 cents! Le apparently ran into trouble when her superiors did not like her project, and when they learned she didn't have a building permit. She would combat this by setting up a retention program. Take a look at more stories and videos by the ABC7 News I-Team. . Sheriff of Santa Clara County, California. He joined the Bay Area News Group in 2014. "CCW licenses should not be given out in exchange for campaign donations. He spent the bulk of his career27 yearsin the LA County Sheriffs Department, retiring as captain of Lancaster Station. Ricardo "Rich" Urena has been tapped to replace . Saturday and Sunday through Closed. Political action committees for the Deputy Sheriffs Association and the Santa Clara County Correctional Peace Officers Association supported Jensens campaign when he ran against Smith in 2014. And were here to provide it. Sheriff Smith herself was not among those indicted Friday, but Rosen said his office's investigation is wide ranging and far from over. She is a San Jose State University alumna and enjoys hiking and camping in her spare time. "CCW licenses should not be given in exchange for campaign donations. The Civil Warrants Division serves Civil process in the manner prescribed by law. A retired Santa Clara County sheriff's captain who ran for office in 2014 and lost, Kevin Jensen believes he has the momentum to take the seat. The defendants are expected to be arraigned on the charges August 31, 2020 at the Hall of Justice in San Jose. Three other AS Solution security employees at the time who got permits Leonard Lawrence, Rachael Paskvan and Jonathan Taunton were also described as listing home addresses or non-AS employers on their applications, and have not been charged. James Jensen, Christopher Schumb, Harpaul Nahal and Michael Nichols were indicted in the alleged pay-to-play plot, in which they are accused of brokering a deal for the executive security firm AS Solution to receive up to a dozen concealed-carry weapon permits in exchange for $90,000 in campaign donations to committees supporting Smiths 2018 re-election bid. He touts his experience working as a correctional officer at Elmwood Correctional Facility, starting in the mid-1980s. The department also said it's monitoring the situation and has no additional information to provide at this time. He became captain in 2004 and retired in 2013. The $45,000 personal check, which Nielsen gave to Schumb -- the PSA's assistant treasurer -- represented more than half of the funds raised by the organization prior to the election that year. "I'm feeling very hopeful and optimistic, cautiously. Santa Clara County Sherif Jonsen said he has experience stabilizing organizations bleeding staff, noting he helped staunch the flow of people leaving the Menlo Park and Palo Alto police departments, in part by raising salaries to a competitive level. If you care about your Constitutional rights, vote for the person who UNDERSTANDS and actually WILL uphold the US Constitution and your unalienable rights! Civil process includes restraining orders, bench warrants, arrest warrants, evictions and any other notice or order from the courts. Urena told the council that he is prepared to take on the challenge. Were partnering with you the readers to make it happen. we have been without one, https://www.kevinjensen4sheriff.com/endorsements. But the approval rate skyrockets for the 28 applicants who either gave campaign cash to Sheriff Laurie Smith directly or where a family member or employer donated. Santa Clara County sheriff-elect Bob Jonsen will take office early after Board of Supervisors vote Jonsen, who was elected sheriff with 50.81% of the vote in November, will become the. While a captain, he was assigned to oversee various Custody Bureau Divisions, including the Main Jail, Elmwood, Jail Reforms, Support Services, and Administrative Services, as well as the Transportation and Internal Affairs Units. The associations members voted overwhelmingly to support endorsing him. SAN JOSE (CBS SF) -- The Santa Clara County District Attorney's Office announced Friday that four people -- including a Santa Clara County Sheriff's captain -- have been indicted by a grand jury on felony bribery and conspiracy charges in a scheme tied to Sheriff Laurie Smith's reelection campaign. "I think people should be treated fairly and equally under this system," Long said. Local News | "But then when it came time to renew, I was not allowed to renew and those reasons were never explained to me phone calls were not returned," explained Moore. Hes worked in every area of sheriffs office jurisdiction. Valenzuela said Saratogas spike in residential burglaries is on his radar. Hes also interested in growing the jails mental health resources by potentially enlisting interns and clinicians in training from local universities. He previously reported in Washington, D.C., Salinas and the East Bay, and is a middling triathlete. As a detective he was assigned to the West Valley division, he was also one of our tactical flight observers up in our sheriffs helicopter, a field training officer and recruit training officer at the academy.. Hiscampaign filings dont reflect a total amount raised to date, but Allen said hesraised $21,000. Rosen did say that his office had reviewed phone and computer records and interviewed dozens of witnesses to determine whether there had been communication between Jensen and the Sheriff regarding the bribery scheme. We are a bit troubled by the words overwhelmingly and unanimously (and others) when it comes to any voting. San Jos Spotlight is the citys first nonprofit, community-supported digital news organization. I would make every attempt and work tirelessly with community leaders to let them know the Sheriffs Office, or law enforcement as a whole, is here for you.. Saratoga hosts LAW-tes and Coffee with a Cop events to keep the community engaged with the Sheriffs Office, Valenzuela said. Southern California mountain residents head home, for many its the first time in days Sung is now the assistant sheriff for the administrative division. That is the County Sheriffs ultimate job duty. Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team. Hes raised $72,398 through campaign donations and a loan. "On August 7, 2020, the Santa Clara County District Attorney's Office publicly announced that Captain James Jensen has been formally charged with felony bribery, conspiracy and falsifying public documents by a Grand Jury.". "I know they used a lot of that money on social media, slamming me," he said. Santa Clara County Sheriff Sgt. Jensen said he is also proud to have the support of former county Supervisor Blanca Alvarado. County Sheriff's Captain, Prominent Lawyer Charged with Gun Permit Bribery Scheme. Jonsen, 59, spent the last four years working as police chief in Palo Alto. Hirokawa said Jensen's quick rise to captain after Smith's re-election raised eyebrows in the office at the time. Jensen has also received endorsements from retired county supervisor Blanca Alvarado, Gilroy Mayor Marie Blankley, Milpitas Mayor Rich Tran and former sheriff Robert Winter. A veteran staff trainer, Allen wants to change how officers apply use of force, saying there need to be more alternatives for de-escalating situations and preventing harm to inmates. Neither Smith, who has the sole authority in her agency to grant the gun permits, nor Martin Nielsen an AS Solution manager who provided security for Facebook executives has been charged. Jonsen, who filed his papers to run in January, has received endorsements from former state Sen.Jim Bell, the Democratic Asian Pacific American Club and the Sunnyvale Democratic Club. He served various roles for the next three decades, including as an assistant chief in the department of corrections and as jail administration commander. Jonsen said the county should offer more skill-based programs in the jails for inmates so they can find employment upon release. A California sheriff was suspended after she had inmates at a jail in Santa Clara county make her a BBQ for a break space used by corrections staff, a report said Tuesday. This DAs office has successfully prosecuted elected officials, correctional officers, sheriffs deputies, police officers, attorneys, business owners and other prominent residents, Rosen said in a statement to this news organization Monday. The second half of the payment was forestalled by the DA investigation. Every captain thats worked on this side of town has made an impact with the community. | All donations are tax-deductible. He cited a internal solutions group he helped create inPalo Alto to address issues like morale and promotions. NBC Bay Area called or emailed each of the four defendants in the case Friday, but so far, only Jensen's attorney has responded. However, if you are in the words of sheriff's Captain James Jenson a VIP, then he will meet you at Starbucks, personally review your application and help you fill it out. West, who Rosen said has given truthful testimony to date, similarly told the grand jury, with the number of CCWs that we were hoping to get, they believed that, $90,000 would be a reasonable donation, according to a July 31 transcript. She is now on paid administrative leave. At Best in the West, according to the indictment, Nichols introduced Nielsen to Jensen, where they agreed to a deal where AS Solution's agents would receive CCW permits in exchange for a large donation to the Sheriff's campaign. The Deputy Sheriffs Association of Santa Clara County is throwing its support behind retired sheriff Capt. Get San Jos Spotlight headlines delivered to your inbox. There is only ONE job in the United States that has the job description of defending the US Constitution and protecting We the People. In 2017, she received $449,767.49 with overtime and benefits, on a $142,530.12 base salary. Saying yes, but doing NO. 2007-03-13 12:18:00 PDT SAN JOSE -- Santa Clara County sheriff's investigators expect to go to prosecutors this week with their case against De Anza College baseball players suspected of having . | All donations are tax-deductible. Get Morning Report and other email newsletters. it's safer than driving," said Marin County Fire Captain Matt Watson. Rosen said there were two paths when it came to the issuing of concealed gun permits by the sheriff's office: One for average citizens and one for campaign donors and VIPs. Schumbs attorney Joe Wall also filed a motion to remove the DAs office from the case, citing that Schumb has been a friend and fundraiser for District Attorney Jeff Rosen. And Captain Jenson will even wave the mandated gun testing at a gun range," said Santa Clara County District Attorney Jeff Rosen. We are not done, he said. Nagaye, 51, has served in the Sheriffs Office for 20 years, with the last seven as a supervising sergeant. He previously served as a board member of the Santa Clara County Correctional Peace Officers Association and is founder of Lodge 65 of the Fraternal Order of Police in California. Sean Allen. A Santa Clara County Sheriff's captain, a gun parts manufacturer, and two local lawyers - one a prominent political backer - have been indicted by a grand jury on felony bribery and conspiracy charges. It is extremely painful to have his integrity questioned after spending years dedicated to serving the people of Santa Clara County. The DA's investigation began shortly after the general election in 2018, sparked by an inquiry from the Metro Silicon Valley weekly about executive security licensing and an extremely large campaign donation, which was reported in public filings. The Santa Clara County District Attorney said the defendants are expected to be arraigned on the charges August 31, 2020. at San Jose's Hall of Justice. And its not because I can give them any promotions or instantly solve their problemsits because Ive earned their trust over a long period of time.. Then I suggest you educate other voters so more people are aware. The conflict is so real and so grave that fair treatment of Schumb is unlikely unless the district attorneys office is disqualified, Wall wrote in the motion. If convicted, all four defendants could face prison time. Click hereif you are having trouble viewing the slideshow on a mobile device. Jonsen said he has experience overseeing crime reduction from his time as a coordinator of the Antelope Valley crime fighting initiative run by the LA Sheriffs Department. Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting. Capt. In Santa Clara County, there's only room for one sheriff in town. In an interview described in testimony from DA investigator Mike Montonye, Jensen said he received direction from Sung, the undersheriff, in brokering the illicit deal. As we gather more evidence, we expect to file more charges against more individuals in the coming weeks. As the I-Team reported last September, the man suffered brain damage and his parents are suing the county and the Sheriff's Department. Emergency: 9-1-1; Emergency and Non-Emergency Number from all phones: (408) 299 - 2311; General Information from cellular phone: (408) 808 - 4400 Allen also wants to address the homophobia and racial inequitieshe sees in the office. Between 2014 and 2019, only about 150 permits were issued or renewed in Santa Clara County. Suspect arrested in Palo Alto home burglary, Info stolen in Oakland ransomware attack set to be released, In fentanyl overdose case, police uncovered video evidence Martinez man molested multiple girls, feds say, Popular East Bay taco truck at risk of being uprooted from spot it has occupied for 16 years, Dear Abby: I love my wife but I think I better get divorced, Harriette Cole: She has gone too far with the remote work option, Bobcat seen using Highway 17 wildlife crossing hours after it opens, Dear Abby: My wife said she doesn't like it, but it's part of my life, Authorities: Man bombed PG&E transformers in South San Jose, Ask Amy: I didn't ask for what I wanted, and I'm sad they couldn't guess, William backed Harry and Meghan's eviction, prefers brother never 'set foot in England again', Ask Amy: I feel guilty for not speaking up about my co-worker's activities, Miss Manners: I felt bad that they all skipped her baby shower -- and then I found out why, Brawl forces end of NorCal high school basketball playoff game, As Adderall shortage continues, DEA plans to limit some telemedicine prescriptions, House where JonBenet Ramsey was found dead listed for sale for almost $7M, Columbia University permanently drops SAT, ACT admissions requirement, The Waterbed Doctor: California retailer lays claim to retro bed with nearly 40 years of service, sales, Felonious Florida podcast: Missing teenage girl leads to several cases of child sex trafficking, Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information. FILE - Santa Clara County Sheriff Laurie Smith walks to a news conference in Cupertino, Calif., Wednesday, Oct. 5, 2011. Smiths tenure as sheriff has been marred by scandals and political investigations. Check out Bay Area safety tracker, Tracking the drought: Map shows conditions across SF Bay Area, Bay Area Life; Sundays at 6:30 p.m. on ABC7. Jensen later instructed AS Solutions Inc. to have their executive protection agents falsify the names of their employer on their CCW applications, and for those agents living outside the county, to falsify their addresses as well, according to the indictment. Schumb is a prominent political backer of the Sheriff and served as Assistant Treasurer for the Santa Clara County Public Safety Alliance, an independent expenditure committee that supported Smith's election bid. Stromgren, who oversaw the security firms Facebook protection team, has not been charged, and testified to the grand jury that he was uneasy about the arrangement. Nate Gartrell covers crime and corruption in Contra Costa County. In addition to bribery, the indictment accuses Jensen of conspiring with AS Solution employees to put false information in their CCW license applications. End of an era: San Jose antique shops could disappear, Robes, candles and chants: South Bay official in hot water over religious ceremony, Proposed tax law threatens billions in San Jose funding. The division commander is Captain Rich Urena, who serves as the Chief of Police for the Town of Los Altos Hills. You do the math. Neil Valenzuela takes over Sheriffs West Valley Patrol Division, 2 brothers found guilty of murdering groom at California wedding party, With Californias soaring mountains steep in snow, heres how to avoid an avalanche, Southern California mountain residents head home, for many its the first time in days, Oakland police investigating spate of shootings that left one dead, five wounded, Woman found fatally shot on I-580 off-ramp. 5:45 p.m. Lake County sheriff declares a local emergency due to snow. Allen was firm, fair and integrity was not an issue. You don't even need to live in the county, which is required by law. And if she feels that When it comes to enforcing the law, which is to say enforcing the Constitution for the United States of America, the Sheriff, being the Chief Law Enforcement Officer, answers to We the People The County Sheriff is a Constitutional Officer elected by the People and bound by oath as guardian of the Peoples unalienable rights secured by the Constitution. "However, if you are -- in the words of Sheriff's Captain James Jenson -- a 'VIP,' then he'll meet you at Starbucks, personally review your application and help you fill it out," said Rosen. Though Wasserman is mentioned in the Aug. 6 indictment of Jensen, Schumb, Nahal and Nichols, he too has not been charged. Occupation. "It's been something of an open secret within the firearms community," Long said. Get Morning Report and other email newsletters. For the average member of the public, no matter how pressing or justified their need, if they follow the procedure laid out on the sheriff's website and mail in an application, it will will not be reviewed. I just want to do it within reason, getting mental health help we need on the front end, and also providing for those people who have to be in the jails.. The public information officers sergeants Richard Glennon, Reginald Cooks and Michael Low also testified that Jensen was still heavily involved in shepherding the CCW application process despite being promoted out of the PIO office, in a rapid ascendance from sergeant to lieutenant and then captain in just a few years. Local News | In a statement, the sheriff's office said Jensen will be placed on administrative leave immediately. Jail reform is one of the key issues in the Sheriff's race, pitting former Palo Alto Police Chief Bob Jonsen against former . / CBS San Francisco. Love to know the next forum is. Jensen lost that election, but he believes the time is right for a new run and cites the support from the association. His career in law enforcement with the sheriffs office began in 2002, and since then he has worked a wide range of assignments, which include patrolling the West Valley cities, as well as performing law enforcement duties for the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authoritys transit patrol division. Urena has also served as a field training officer, recruit training officer, detective in the Sexual Assault Felony Enforcement team, a sergeant in the West Valley detective division, as a tactical flight observer aboard the sheriffs office helicopter, STAR 1, and as a mentor and leader to deputies. By Bay City News Published July 16, 2013. Closed on Santa Clara County holidays. Kevin Jensen, a retired captain with the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office, is running to replace Laurie Smith. To be fair, all candidates seem passionate about wanting to a good job as sheriff and the questions asked are valid questions for any managerial jobs. How the scandal-plagued Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office will operate in a post-Laurie Smith era will be determined by the vote of the people in the Nov. 8 election. Jensen started working as a deputy at Elmwood Correctional Facility in 1985. The Santa Clara County Sheriffs Office named Valenzuela the new commander of the West Valley Patrol Division last month. Your email address will not be published. In addition Robert Johnson has done his best to avoid transparency. None of the PIOs who testified could recall an instance where they personally witnessed Smith signing an approved permit, according to the transcripts. She was the first female County Sheriff in the history of the state. Emergency Contact Information . Copyright 2023 KGO-TV. Were changing the face of journalism by providing an innovative model for delivering reliable, truthful news to the nations 10th largest city. He wants to prioritize building morale in the office, which he said has been low for many years, and to rebuild relationships with the San Jose Police Departmenthe claims Smith neglected. SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- Former Santa Clara County Sheriff Laurie Smith has been found guilty on all six corruption and misconduct counts in her civil corruption trial. Sheriff spokesman Sgt. "And it's very clear that that's not the case under Sheriff Smith and her office. Capt. The defendants are expected to be arraigned on the charges on Aug. 31. Instead, the application would be filed away and forgotten. August 7, 2020 / 11:34 AM We are not done.". He says it's time for Sheriff Smith to speak out if she knows anything The Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office Custody Division is the fifth largest jail system in California, and among the 20 largest systems in the United States. If convicted, the defendants could receive prison time. I haven't been provided any evidence at this point, but broadly speaking I believe that all of the folks involved were legally able to obtain the permits.
Uscis Corbin Production Facility Mail, Temps De Cuisson Du Lard Frais A L'eau, Articles S