I was on Rigel (T-AF-58) and Neosho (T-AO-143) in the 80s out of Norfolk, VA. Is it just me? The end of service life for them was being discussed in NAVSEA back in the early 90s shortly before I retired. s5lOVW` p: Naval War College JPME I, U.S. Yes, of course, the SPRUANCE hulls are the same as the TICOs, thus showing their retirement was early. David-Tavis M. Pollard relieved Capt. I MISS YA, The short time I was on there, I learned so much. approx Age? HullNumber.com does not retain your payment information if you make a purchase. I miss the comradery of blue-water sailors Nice to see it / feel it on Facebook pages. The majority of ships already had been upgraded to vertical launch, and as far as the rest of the electronics upgrades go well, thats the easiest and cheapest of the bunch. CAPT Greg Stump, USCG, "Take on the Toxic Leader," U.S. Good article about a great class of DDs. United States Naval Hospital Okinawa-Japan > About Us - TRICARE From 1923 to 1925 he was a Naval Flight Officer in Torpedo Squadron 2 (VT-2) "Doer Birds" of the experimental carrier USS LANGLEY (CV-1). Sketch in the 1973-4 Janes Fighting Ships on the planned Spruance class, Artists conception of the Navys DD-963-class destroyer. SHAREM 125 was the latest in a series of SHAREM exercises designed to test and evaluate undersea warfare tactics, weapons, sensors and procedures. It was a definite difference from GGL and CGs. U,]3wTEChgs~iE.]QeJ4R'X-J.|)8. HI EVERYBODY! The four smaller stars in gold are in recognition of the attainment of the rank of Admiral. Cheers, USS Kearsarge (LHD 3) - Navy On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. Commanding Officer, USNS Comfort. from 1973 to 1978 the hull was so thin we were forbidden from needle gunning the bilges. As a result of her outstanding performance, STUMP was awarded the "Hookem Award" for USW excellence by the Commander U.S. Sixth Fleet. Implementing 360-degree reviews could help prevent toxic leaders from rising through the ranks and reduce the number of commanding officers fired for character-related infractions. Tim French The 40B rotor had a two-speed motor, slow for long-range mode (LRM) and faster for Low Flyer Detection Mode (LFDM). Stump the dumpLots of great memories onboard. Hiram Andreu Commanding Officer, USS Minneapolis-St. Paul (LCS 21). DD 864 Harold J. Ellison 5 years as BT in fire rooms that were hell on earth. Anyway its good to see that you A bit of a story first, Capt., then a thought about what you wrote. Favorite story was the skipper called me into his sea cabin to let me know we would be diverting to the Gulf of Fonseca for a freedom-of-navigation operation while transiting from San Diego to Pascagoula. The four smaller stars in gold are in recognition of the attainment of the rank of admiral. This changed over time and by the late 1980s, they were pretty capable ships. U.S. Navy photo by PH1 D.E. The focus of FBE-H was the application of network-centric operations in gaining and sustaining access in support of follow-on joint operations. In 93 we launched 14 Tomahawks on Baghdad and on two deployments with the Ike we were rarely with the carrier group. Their long legs (6000+ nm at 20 knots on two turbines), allowed them to self-deploy away from the battle group and a lot of the flag-waving done in foreign ports during the Regan-Bush-Clinton years was done by Spruances operating alone. Michael D. Nordeen, commanding officer of the amphibious transport dock Mesa Verde, and Cmdr. He was Chief of Naval Air Technical Training Command from May 1945 to December 1948, after which he served successively as Commander in Chief, Pacific and U.S. Pacific Fleet, with headquarters at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii on July 10, 1953. Smuggling Vessel in the Caribbean. The shame in the SPRUANCE class retirement is that the Navy did a poor job of maintaining and upgrading them. He subsequently served in Torpedo Squadron 2 of the experimental carrier LANGLEY; as Assembly and Repair officer at Naval Air Station, Hampton Roads, Virginia; and in command of the Cruiser Scouting Wing and on the Staff of Commander Cruisers, Scouting Fleet. My GPS system was almost always Casrept, so we sailed from Mississippi to San Diego and back again by radar and starsthe Loran and Omega was totally worthless. Displacement 7800 Tons (Full), Dimensions, 563' (oa) x 55' x 20' 6" (Max) Armament 2 x 5"/54 RF (2x1), 1 Sea Sparrow SAM (1x8) ASROC ASW (1x8), 6 x 12.75" Mk 32 ASW TT (2x3). Both were fine ships. They were great ships and it broke my heart to see them be tossed aside like they were. Seth Rumler from leadership of the Scranton. More on this ship below. Welcome USS Nimitz (CVN 68) is the lead ship of the U.S. Navy's Nimitz-class nuclear-powered aircraft carriers and is named in honor of Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz. 96 0 obj <> endobj Contribute to chinapedia/wikipedia.en development by creating an account on GitHub. SHAREM 125 was the latest in a series of SHAREM exercises designed to test and evaluate undersea warfare tactics, weapons, sensors and procedures. | laststandonzombieisland. Login| Decom set for 10/19/04. He retired off of her in June 1981. Stump Intercepts Large Cocaine Shipment Navy Newsstand. Of course, you know what we say: the best ship is the one you just left or the one youre going to!! At least they were not sold to another country. Words fail me. Great to hear from a fellow Harry W Hill plank owner. For exceptionally meritorious service as "Commander of the combined operation center of the Allied-American, British, Dutch and Australian air command" he was awarded the U.S. Army's Distinguished Service Medal. The USS Ingersoll, DD-990 was a good example of how the Spru-cans came out of Pascagoula in the 1980s. Naval War College, College of Distance Education M.A., (IR) Villanova University, Political Science B.A., Villanova University, Political Science Awards and Decorations Commanding Officer, USS STUMP (DD-978) 1992 COMUSNAVCENT Staff (N3A), Bahrain Collapse Timeline Expand Timeline Education M.A., U.S. USS Comte de Grasse (DD-974), 1987-1991 it never quit, we were asea forever. In October 1982, STUMP deployed to the Persian Gulf as a part of the Middle East Force to conduct radar picket operations. 3;u9Tm % Undated postcard Copyright © Atlantic Fleet Sales, Norfolk, VA. Circa 1977, Passenger Ship Terminal mid-town New York City on the Hudson River. Access denial was expected to be the focus of any potential adversary's strategy. DVIDS - News - USS Gerald R. Ford Holds Change of Command I laugh when I see that the Navy saved 28 million a year on operations! Try the Ship's Store. I remember one of the Key Selling points to Congress at the time was the Ships modular design. i worked as an electrician at ingalls on the first few of these. Sir, while I respect your overall conclusion that Spru-cans combat systems were their downfall, I disagree that they should have been scrapped at that point. Hey shipmate I also broke my cherry on the jolly Rodgers from 1985-1989 as an HT than a D.C. left there as a DC2. The ship, designed by Litton Industries Ingalls West Division at El Secondo, California, will be mass-produced at the Ingalls Shipbuilding Corporation, Pascagoula, Mississippi. Still, they made a good backdrop for 1984 recruiting commercials set in British-controlled Hong Kong! You probably know this, but Capt.Harbrect, Capt Lash, and Master Chief Huggins are still around Pascagoula, actually I think Capt Harbrect is in Fairhope, Alabama, https://polldaddy.com/js/rating/rating.jsThen commander Lash was the best officer I ever had the honor to serve with. The crew was great, chaperoning me all over the ship, since dad was busy testing the sonar, amd Ieven got to play on a radar console in CIC. About the Destroyers Name, about Admiral Felix B. Stump: USS Stump Scores Again, Intercepts It was a great ship. Wifes Name? Not even her 127mm guns, standard issue on US Navy destroyers, were salvaged. Faculty | Leonard Walter Wildemann - Naval War College Lt gen brian cavanaugh hi-res stock photography and images - Alamy I served aboard the Deyo from 84 until 88 and count those years as some of the best of my life. I was also angry. @#$. Spru cans had 5/54s. All Rights Reserved. History Stump was laid down 25 August 1975, launched 29 January 1977, and commissioned on 19 August 1978. | laststandonzombieisland, Dragging out that Navy Naming Conventions Soapbox | laststandonzombieisland, National Guard Marksmanship Training Center. In command of the LANGLEY in Manila Bay, at the outbreak of World War II, he was transferred in January 1942 to the Staff of the Commander in Chief, Asiatic Fleet. I borrowed the Moose as we called her for my last reenlistment ceremony, august, 1999. I had an alright time on the ship, every once in a while i miss it. It was named for Captain Jeremiah O'Brien and his five brothers: Gideon, John, William, Dennis and Joseph. While in the Caribbean, Stump again shot naval gunfire support qualifications and scored 495 out of 500, winning the Atlantic Fleet "Top Gun" award for an unprecedented second year in a row. The highlight of the deployment was the Tomahawk missile strike launched against Iraq in support of Operation Southern Watch on 17 January 1993. Good luck to all you, those still servingstay safe wherever you're at. Richard Zamberlan, the. In November 1992, STUMP deployed to the Arabian Gulf and North Red Sea as part of MEF (1-93) to serve as a ready strike platform. The only thing better than riding a Spruance Can was driving a Spruance CAN! The many decorations received by Admiral Stump for his exemplary service in the Pacific Theater during World War II are represented in the shield. DD 974 will forever live in my heart Sans Precedent ! You listing of the weapon and radar systems would lead one to believe that all the Spruance class destroyers had an AN/SPS-49 air search radar when in fact only one, the USS Hayler had this type of radar. Stump deployed in late November 2000 with the USSHarry S. Truman carrier battle group. Although she was a great ship with plenty of power the Spruance class destroyers were plagued with some serious problems. Granted, the US Navy doesnt have to go to war with the Soviets anymore ala-Red Storm Rising, but there is still a global need for surface combatants from the South China Sea to the HOA to the Med and the Persian Gulf. I have taken that experience to Kuwait and with 2 NAMs, promotion to O3 and now recruiting. Admiral Stump's navy career, his noted boldness, and his service aboard six aircraft carriers are presented by the griffin holding an anchor. Speaking of carriers, there was even some thought to making an aviation destroyer variant. I too have many fond memories of Pascagoula, Miss. It was my first ship with the best memories and an amazing crew! Bow of the destroyer USS OBannon (DD-987), a Spruance-class destroyer, showing the ships Mark 16 8-cell ASROC anti-submarine rocket launcher, foreground, and a Mark 45 5-inch/54-caliber gun. and eventually San Diego on her.I feel the same wayheart-broken to hear the fate of the Spruance class. any other details? Remember the Pascagoula shipyard and all the pre-commissioning work we did. Then I discovered the whole 963 Class had been mothballed and were scheduled Davy Jones fleet. In November 1992, Stump deployed to the Persian Gulf and Northern Red Sea as part of MEF (193) to serve as a ready strike platform. | These were small, 3500-4000 ton ships that carried an 8-cell ASROC launcher, 4 5-inch/58 guns in twin mounts, and two triple Mk32 ASW torpedo launchers. The 15KV power supplies were made by Espey Manufacturing in Saratoga Springs, NY. STUMP returned to Norfolk in August. Assigned DD968 USS AW Radford during Desert Shield/Storm, Pingback: Warship Wednesday, Feb. 19, 2020: Hannah on the Beach | laststandonzombieisland, Pingback: Warship Wednesday, April 15, 2020: The Winged Spinach Can | laststandonzombieisland. 9th Spruance, 7th Fleet, 1 speaks for itself (971). Zu seinen Aufgaben im Seeverkehr gehren die USS Roark (FF-1053) als Schtzen- / U-Boot-Abwehroffizier und Navigator; USS Stump (DD-978) als Chefingenieur; und als Executive Officer an Bord der USS Hercules (PHM-2) und der USS Yorktown (CG-48) . Refitting with Aegis wouldnt happen. I served on the USS F B Parks DD-884(Gearing class destroyer). The Commanding Officers. Help| I was with you onboard at the same time I live in mobile and was only 45 minutes away from home during her overhaul in pascagoula I was a gse you know she has a reunion coming up here in April here in Mobile too many hurgada visits for me during that red sea deployment did get to see some great action on that cruise though, Enjoyed reading.
Juan Trippe Office Chrysler Building, Milford, Ma Police Accident Report, Yale Swimming Lessons, Articles U