There are tolls on various motorways in Croatia including E59, E70, and E71. Car theft is rare in Croatia I wouldn't worry about that. In order to rent a car in Croatia, youll need a valid drivers license from your home country; an international driving licence is only required if your license is not written with Latin letters (for example, if it is in Chinese or Cyrillic). This piece of document proves that your car has at least a minimum level of insurance required and it is recognized and accepted by different European countries. I would like to rent a car in Venice and drop off in Dubrovnik. Save on luxury, economy and family car hire. Hi Yulia. Generally speaking, the roads in Croatia are in very good condition. But, some other companies have a cross-border fee even for the EU member states. Do you know if you can also drive car rentals into albania and kosovo? If not, you can always download an. PRICE: HRK 662 (US $97.5) HRK 1003 (US $149) per day. Hi Noah, It takes extra time to price out five companies, but prices can vary widely depending on . There is also this app it operates in over 60 Croatian cities, can help you find the closest parking to your location and you can also pay for the spot online, too! I was surprised to find out that car rental companies charge extra for taking a car on a ferry. But I dont have a credit card. If you are below 21 years of age, you'll still be able to rent a car in Croatia. i have a quick question. Here you can check the updated rates for all the highways in the country (in English!). Expect to pay around 30 for this service. We've rented a car from Vetura a couple of times in the past and would recommend them if you are in Istria. Do you have any advice about this issue? This article was super helpful. Is there a company that will let us pick up in Zagreb and drop off in Split? According to Paula Twidale, senior vice president of AAA Travel, average rates have risen as high as 134 dollars per day.2. The only problem youll have is you wont be able to drive through small villages, but many of them are better to explore on foot! The views are gorgeous! But, if you take extra insurance with a car hire company in Croatia then the amount authorized on your credit card is much lower, and usually amounts to the rental cost + 200 for any additional costs, like for example parking tickets, late drop-off, or if the fuel tank isn't full. Another thing to consider is traffic and limited parking in the town centers. Thank you for such good information. Were a Canadian-Croatian couple living in and exploring Croatia. The majority of rental cars in Croatia are manual. Thanks for all the info. Thanks for the great website. Great web site you have, learning a lot about Croatia travel. Hello,Frank and Vera.Nice information.Thanks.We are a family of four,none of us can drive.We are looking for a car to take us from Split to Dubrovnik stopping at Mostar (to save a day and a day trip)but all I find is that I can save money only if one person skips as a silly rule that car or van can have only 3 persons or less or next 8 persons or less paying exorbitant amounts.Please point me to some cheaper alternatives.My time is also limited for me to allow me to travel by bus. Ive listed the price in HRK (Croatian Kuna) and USD but please note that the USD exchange rate might significantly change, so make sure to check the up-to-date rates here. usa - Why is car rental in the US so much cheaper when booking from Dinka imunovia 2A, 21000, Split, Croatia? Do you know what the deal is? An international driver's license is only mandatory in the case when your national driver's license isn't written in Latin letters (for example, if it's written in Cyrillic, or in Chinese characters). However, if you feel like having an international drivers license, its easy to obtain, and it costs little. Do they have provisions of hiring a driver or private tour? Its possible to arrange it, but youll pay extra. The companies will authorize your credit card for a security deposit (unless you purchase full coverage insurance). Maybe you can rent it there and then drop it off in Zagreb. Make sure you ask the rental company what kind of fuel your rental car takes. I am not sure about Albania and Kosovo. This concerns me; heaven forbid I hurt someone in an accident and they want to sue!! Cheap Car Hire in Croatia | CarJet You only need an international driver license if your driver license is not written with Latin letters. Thanks! And now it is time to start booking a rental car for the road-trip of a lifetime! However, we will keep the information as it is, and updated for the time when the travel to Croatia returns to normal. Top car rental brands. Be sure to factor these costs into your budget! Very insightful and in depth post. Again, tools like AutoEurope and RentalCars can help you figure out the logistics of your trip a whole lot easier. You'll be able to take in the sights, travel off the beaten path, see more in less time, and have the freedom to stop wherever and whenever you feel. Would I be better off taking the ferry to Rovinji and renting the car there and dropping off in Dubrovnik? Re: Car hire seems very expensive! Parking in popular destinations in Croatia can be a real hustle, and it costs money. Thanks for the blog. It is gorgeous, though. Mid- and full-size cars make a good choice if you plan on traveling long distances, as they provide more room. Buses are ok if travelling to Dalmatia, but not on islands or in Istria. I keep reading good reviews about Last Minute Car Rental, but something seems amiss with it being significantly cheaper and the reviews not being very plentiful. I highly recommend investigating this option before signing any insurance papers that the car rental company gives you. So, what do I do with my car when I arrive at a destination? Most expensive countries for car hire in Europe revealed It's extremely important that you inspect the car before picking it up, take photos, and discuss any damages you see with a car rental representative. Thanks. Some companies also charge extra insurance for senior drivers above 70 years of age. No issues crossing over to Slovenia with a car rental Croatia as Slovenia is a member of EU. We also have a couple of nationwide companies. My family and I plan to visit Croatia from March 26- April 4. D8 (ex. Thanks and congatulations for your blog. Any car in Croatia need to be insured, and green card (needed for traveling to non-EU countries like Montenegro and Bosnia) comes with the basic car insurance. For the purpose of writing this post, Ive checked prices on various car rental companies' websites, and for almost all dates I randomly picked I found cheaper deals on the Rentalcars website. why is car hire so expensive in ireland Prices have risen so high about 88 percent from a year ago that rental cars are now one of the key factors driving the biggest rise in inflation since 2008. Youll be able to travel off the beaten track and see sights that many tourists miss! I just dropped you a word via email. But I prefer to use a comparison aggregator like CarRentals or AutoEurope to do the hard work for me (they are basically a Skyscanner for cars-they will check all the prices for your dates for all the car rental companies in the area). Sixt Croatia is a part of the Sixt global network. You can't visit all the interesting sights by bus, because it is complicated and slow. Car rental companies don't keep enough cars with automatic transmissions. Ive booked a car through rentalcars, and Ive also decided to buy the Full Protection cover with them, though a friend warned me that at the car rental office (itll be with Alamo), that there they will try to sell me Ferry insurance as well. It may be more than a little stressful trying to figure it out after youve departed, Make sure that your drivers license is with you and valid for at least the next 6 months. Renting in Plitvice Lakes might prove difficult. You are quite knowledgeable about travel in Croatia. Car Rental Prices Are Up. What Are The Alternatives? Expect to pay anywhere between 15 and 20 more a day for an automatic transmission. They try to charge extra. Hi Morten, Besides, only traveling by car allows you to make as many stops as you want in order to discover all those beautiful places along the way. The pandemic caused a complete collapse of demand for hire cars as overseas travel came to a standstill. Contacts | t: +385 98 983 6950 | e: [emailprotected] |Website. The same goes for picking up or dropping off the car out of office hours. Decide what's the purpose of your trip, and how many places would you like to see during your visit, and you'll have a better idea of whether you need to rent a car in Croatia. 3. Because I feel that if it is 17 per ferry ride then we were overcharged perhaps? For the latest news how coronavirus influences travel in Croatia, and what measurements we are taking, check our Visiting Croatia in times of Covid-19 post. Car hire cost have spiralled globally - Study reveals that Iceland is No need for an international drivers licence in Bosnia either. Return car to the same location. What route do you recommend taking? Renting a car from Zagreb can cost almost double the price of renting a car from Dubrovnik or Zadar. Here are a few tips for driving in the cold: If youre driving inland during winter, youre likely to encounter snow at some point. The inner-city speed limit is 30 to 50 km/h; on open roads speed limit is up to 90 km/h (but with lots of lower speed limits in curves, and other road conditions); on all major toll roads speed limit is up to 130 km/h. A credit card is mandatory when renting a car in Croatia. because well have to probably catch a taxi or something back to our hotel after we drop it off, so ideally wed be as close as possible to accommodations to keep the fare down. If you need this service, you will need to arrange this directly with the car rental company. Check Rentalcars for deals: https://goo.gl/aozEKx. . While Croatia is a small country, it's also pretty long. This is really the question of hard negotiation with car rental companies, as they prefer (of course!) The first time they absolutely claimed we had to pay for the green card (and we were going from Dubrovnik to both Bosnia and Montenegro so we bought it). Search Youll need to compare international and local car rental companies like Alamo, Budget, Europcar, Fleet, Hertz, Last Minute Rent a Car, Sixt, and Thrifty and visit many local sites, search for the discount codes for each of them and compare! Car rental companies belong to this group of businesses. Any suggestions to keep a 5 five year old will be appreciated. One of the reasons that car rentals are so expensive is that car rental agencies sold off most of their cars during the COVID-19 pandemic. Holidaymakers face sky-high car hire rates abroad now more than double Dubrovnik is the only exemption. Hi Anna, We are heading over in October.. to the lokva rogocznica area I believe, looking forward to getting out and about. They are brokers and work with all major car rental companies in Croatia. And if you purchase anything using these links, we earn a little commission with no extra costs for you. Even for the high season, you can secure a mini-size car for as low as 45 a day if you book 6 or more months in advance. Bob did they get back to you about the car insurance and what the cost would be. For 5 passengers and 5 pieces of baggage(3 big, 2 small) we were considering a station wagon like Renault Clio Estate or Seat Leon Estate. Be sure to ask the rental company whether the car you want to hire has a GPS. Rory Sexton, managing director at Zest Car Rental, agrees, adding that prices tend to align with demand. So, again, to have your car rental sitting in a parking lot makes no sense. The question is which one will you be the most comfortable in? We are a family of 10 planning a renting and returning 2 cars in Croatia. Thanks Peter. Frank, I see so may small cars that only hold 2 suitcases. Im hoping to rent a car this August (5 Aug, 2019) at Plitvice Lakes and travel to Zagreb and drop off there. We are looking for a car rental for just one day from Dubrovnik to Split and back. Drop Off. Will I not be able to pick up the car even if I have enough money in my bank account on my debit card? Would I need an international driver license? What would you suggest? 3. For example, the road distance from Umag, in the northwest to Dubrovnik in the southeast is over 700 km. Do you have any experience renting a car from the company Sixt? Last week of June our family (mum, dad & two teens) have a quick trip to Croatia from NZ for our sons sport. We were thinking we would fly into either Dubrovnik or Zagreb and and take the scenic route by driving around the country and staying in hotels along each stop. Any knowledge as to whether its easier (convenience and cost) to get to downtown from either of these 2 dropoff locations. Or, do you think a car is the way to go? Thank you. Before the pandemic, rental agencies had a good number of cars available. I am interested to know what the parking is like if you do use a rental car, especially in the bigger towns/cities. Everything is pretty organized and the personnel usually speak AT LEAST basic English. Do Croatian companies have offices in Hungary/Italy/Slovenia? Why is Spain car hire so expensive? I am told that should my son decide to leave earlier than I plan to (4/18-4/28/19) Id still have to pay the full contracted price. Thank you :). You can then individually check the reviews for each car rental company. Car Sell-Off. They all come at an additional cost. 2) We were also told for our week long rental which I had already paid for insurance through Expedia, that we would really need to buy two additional insurances (one was car body, the other for tire damage) or they could charge us for small scratches etc. Some of these car rental tips are specific to Croatia, so be sure to pay careful attention so there are no unexpected surprises on your trip! I am positive is has to do with the illiquidity of the lending market ie banks lending to companies. Which places would you recommend to see if we have about 7 days in the area, including outside of Croatia if we can squeeze it all in? This will help you out a lot, especially when driving on the highways! For more, be sure to subscribe to my newsletter. This seems like a scam, though. Toll fees can be paid in both cash and credit/debit card, which makes life a whole lot easier for those on a road trip! PRO TIP 2: Oh, and dont forget to double check if the car is equipped with functioning AC this is something you will definitely need during a hot Croatian summer! Currently, the lowest age any rental company charges is 60 years old. Book as far in advance as possible! You should count tolls into your budget however, the fees are a lot lower than in many other countries. I wanted to use Avis however there reviews dont fill me with confident also carwiz seems the same, can you personally suggest any companies youve used? The major rental car companies in Europe are Avis, Hertz, Budget, Europcar, and Sixt. Although many small villages have basic facilities, like a grocery store, a bar, and a restaurant, you will need to drive to the closest town if you need an ATM machine, pharmacy, fresh meat or fish, or large supermarket. We LOVE your website! Car hire in Croatia starts from just 8.20 per day for a (economy) class car from Budget. and another question on if not driving car so easy to commute to one city to another city ? Where to hire a car in bulawayo? Explained by Sharing Culture The roads are in perfect condition and the views are breathtaking! Car Hire in Croatia - Cheap Rental Deals | easyCar.com From what I can tell, it offers the most competitive prices. Be sure to adjust the wing mirrors, rearview mirror and the seat to your liking before leaving on your journey. and the rental car rates are not getting any lower, trust me! Would love your advice on how Croatian rental car companies compare to international companies when it comes to renting a car in Croatia and driving to Hungary, Slovenia and Italy before returning in Croatia: Hi Charlie, Once in the town, you can use public transport to move around, or you can simply explore a town on foot. Ask beforehand how much this will cost you as car rental companies sometimes charge extra for this service. But you'll need to pay a young driver's surcharge. I read on another website that an international drivers license is required for a car rental? If you are planning to do a longer road trip and you are thinking of going to other EU countries by car, the green card insurance will also be enough (oh, the beauty of the EU!). Chris Brown, editor of Auto Rental News, an industry publication, says MirrorTrip could eventually solve the car rental drop-off problem. This surcharge usually amounts to 25 per rental. Make sure you arent in a rush when returning your car. Do I need to get any specific insurance while there? There shouldnt be any problems if you choose a company that allows border crossing, such as RentalCars. One of the most important parts of renting a car in the land of Game of Thrones is finding a price that will suit your budget. Adriagate. Take into consideration the fact that Croatia has many narrow village streets and tiny back roads that will be extremely difficult to navigate with a big car. Make sure the size of the car is appropriate. Frank, Check that there is a full tank of gas in the car before you leave, as that is the policy with rental cars. As I mentioned before, you can request one from the car rental company for a small extra fee, No drinking and driving is permitted in Croatia! Because the rules mentioned on Alamo mention IDP required. I am traveling to the Bellevue Hotel in Losinj with an adult son. We want to rent a car in Zagreb, than go to Bosnia, Albania, Montenegro, Macedonia and Serbia. I just want to be sure the if we do that, that Sixt in Croatia will allow me to extend the rental. The combination of Covid and global car manufacturing shortages has created a perfect storm in the car hire industry. If you break down or have to pull over for some reason, you need to know youll be able to keep warm and sustain yourself until help arrives, Make sure your tires are properly inflated and have a decent amount of tread, Try to keep at least half a tank of fuel in your tank at all times, Never warm up your vehicle in an enclosed area like a garage, rather wait until the car is outside to warm it up, Do not use cruise control when driving on ice or in snowy areas. Additional Fees for Car Rentals in Croatia 6. Dont even ask why this is the case, as it makes no sense to me. Thanks for the great tips! great blog you and your wife is running here, I am also an expat living in Croatia where i run a few websites, i was wondering if you could contact me on E-mail. A network of national toll-free roads usually runs parallel to the toll motorway. You can arrange different pick-up and drop-off locations. Here are the average prices that you can expect to pay to rent a car in Croatia for a day. There's specific requirements. But do I still need the IDP if I plan to drive and stay (one night) in Bosnia? But it's not worth $1,200. We haven't yet rented through Nova, but we see lots of their cars on the roads here. International drivers licence isnt required unless your national one is written in letters other than latin. But to experience all those places and take advantage of Komarna's awesome location, you'll need a car. Most big chain companies dont even offer that option, and the ones that do charge a lot of money for it and it can only be arranged by advance request. You will then need to claim this cost with your insurer (in this case, your credit card company). Regards. i would like to rent a car in split; what is the closest rental car pickup/dropoff location to the downtown area? There are very few companies doing cross-country rentals, and the fees are just way too high. Thank you. Croatia - Why so expensive? - Rovinj Message Board - Tripadvisor I think we need to head there straight from Zagreb and rental car seems to be our best option (quickest and flexibility). Additionally, I assume that my state issued insurance will not cover and costs. However, in the case of accident, you will be directly charged by car rental company for any damages. However, try to be firm and insist on using the green card, and refuse to pay extra. PRO TIP: When driving in cities, both big and small, try to avoid the rush hours the traffic is absolutely crazy then! So if you only plan on passing through Neum in order to reach Dubrovnik, you don't need to pay a cross-border fee. Punch your travel plans into the GPS. Copyright 2014-2023 MissTourist | All Rights Reserved |. I have read that these could be bought at the nearest gas station as you enter each country, but to be on the safer side(to avoid penalty fines) we would like to buy them before we enter each country if possible. Car hire in Croatia is essential in these situations. Choose your pick-up location, compare and find the car that best suits you and your budget. I will be visiting Croatia and Bosnia in late June and checked with the Bosnia embassy in my country regarding the requirement for IDP. They also have a free smartphone app with real-time information about road conditions, congestion, and live webcams. 4. Renting a car in a foreign country is a puzzle so this has given me extra ideas on how I will go about it. Hi Im Yulia! My Husband and I shall be travelling to Croatia next week for the first time . ), Best Hotels in Split, Croatia Accommodation Recommendations, 5 Unmissable Things to do in Pula, Croatia, Where To Stay In Plitvice Lakes The Best Hotels, Iceland Car Rental Everything You Need to Know Before You Go, 6 Top Places to Stay in Dubrovnik, Croatia. "At non-peak times when there is good availability, prices can get cheaper the closer you get to the start date of the rental. Some information on this site isn't maybe completely accurate at the moment, due to the changed circumstances caused by coronavirus pandemic. Can you tell me if there are any restrictions from the rental car companies about this countries and which one is the best for this type of trips? That must be a bit exaggerated, no? Getting a car on rental seems to important if you are traveling in Croatia. 2. It might sound obvious, but in order to find a cheap car rental, youll need to book well in advance as this lowers the prices dramatically! How much does a car rental in Croatia cost? This is not true the green card is enough. Hi Our best car rental in Croatia advice and tips, Different pick-up and drop-off location for car hire in Croatia, Insurance: Full coverage on a credit card, What kind of drivers license I need to rent a car in Croatia. Enjoy your driving in Croatia! Campings in Croatia are awesome, well-equipped, and youll find them all along the coast. Is this essential (I will be using the ferries a lot) as the Full Protection seems pretty comprehensive? NOTE: If you are planning to cross the border through the city of Neum, you do NOT need to pay any cross-border fee. So, youll only need to apply for an international drivers license if your current drivers license is not written in Latin letters. What Documents Do You Need to Rent a Car in Croatia 3. It is practical to have a car in these situations. What do you think about? But I would rather think no. Let me start by assuring you that there is no right or wrong choice here the road conditions in Croatia are close to excellent, so any car you rent will do. Why It's So Expensive to Rent a Car - Intelligencer Yulia is traveling the world for over 12 years now and she LOVES to share her tips from around the world with the others! The average cost over the course of the entire year is 29. But, in my opinion, Google maps are the best and the cheapest navigation solution in Croatia. I`ve heard that border crossings can be a challenge from Croatia to Monte Negro, from Serbia to everywhere and so on. On this site, youll find countless resources and travel tips. What are my options? RECOMMENDED CAR TYPE: If youre traveling with a whole group of people and want to avoid traveling in a convoy, I recommend renting a bigger vehicle that can serve as a home while youre on the road. However, I would take this cost as definitely one of the costs worth negotiating about with the car rental companys representative. I will be coming from Venice. Some subjects we've already covered above, but nevertheless, we'll summarise our best Croatia car rental advice and tips below. Daily fees for extras are as follows*: Very informative! Just take a look at the above picture wouldnt you want to rent a car and drive along that beautiful coastline? Renting a car in Croatia can also be the most economical way to travel through the country depending on the time of year you visit, the number of people in your group, and how long in advance you book your Croatia car rental. But this service will cost you money! However we have 3 full days on arrival before we need to be in Umag and I would like to take my family to Venice for a day. In general, a car rental that might cost $30-80 per day might be a lot cheaper to rent by the week.) Your car should come with a green card accepted in both countries. Here are fare examples for the most popular highways: Hint: if you are going on the weekend when the traffic is bad, you can also take an older smaller but prettier road timewise it will take you the same long, but its charming! The most expensive month in which to hire a car is August with prices for for a Compact class) starting at 45.06. Looking for inexpensive means for two adults and one child. And if its not on your itinerary already, be sure to add the incredible Istria region to your Croatian bucket list. Thanks for the great blog/information! Make sure you do have sufficient funds on your card, and extra money left for your trip. ATTENTION: Youll be able to rent a car as long as youre 18 years or older, but will be subject to extra charges if youre younger than 22 or older than 70. Thank you for creating this wonderful site. Oryx is a company based in Zagreb but with offices all over Croatia. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. You really dont have to have it but I always do just in case since it clearly says Croatia is member. Go, inspect the car along with them, and pay attention. The only thing you need when crossing the border is the green card a proof that your car has a minimum level of insurance required to be in Bosnia. If you don't have a budget for it, you simply won't rent a car. Renting a Car in Ireland: My BS-Free 2023 Guide - The Irish Road Trip Report inappropriate content ratheniska ireland Level Contributor 146 posts 3. Why is Car Hire So Expensive in Tasmania? | Uber Carshare If the tank isn't full, a car rental company will charge you a fee. We figured as we had prepaid for the car this would be covered. 2. And they also work offline (if previously downloaded). Their prices are competitive, and what's even better, you have all offers in one place, and you can easily compare them, and shop for the best car rental Croatia deal. If I may suggest that you include a section about motorcycles and campervans rental in Croatia as well. This means that the earlier you book your car, the less you will pay. This will be for August 2019 dates. We offer deals on extras, child seats, GPS, additional driver and insurance packages to help you have an safe . If you plan to stay do most hotels/hostels/etc provide some sort of parking? Driving the next day driving to Umag. Heres everything you need to know about renting a car in Croatia!
Rusk State Hospital Inmates, Articles W