She hopes to spread awareness on the inequities indigenous people face and help create an easy way to enlighten people on the topics through The Indigenous Foundation! Blood quantum is a concept created by white settlers that refers to the amount of so-called Indian blood that an individual possesses. The conversation around blood quantum is Experiences like these raise questions about the meaning of indigeneity, including the use of historical blood-based classifications of people. So that over time, Indians would literally breed themselves out and rid the federal government of their legal duties to uphold treaty obligations. And I don't think that anyone would argue that it isn't that. Stream GBH's Award-Winning Content For Parents And Children. Some dont believe that blood quantum requirements will change in the near future. The use of Euro-American definitions of identity is outdated, as is blood quantum. If someone was Black and Native American, they were Black (unless they were seeking U.S. citizenship), no matter how much Native American blood they had. 2023 They specifically enroll based on that tribe's quantum, not the total Indian blood of the person. To eradicate American Indigenous peoples would be to really erase Americas history. The question, its need, is ever constant. In which case, what would happen, right? Within the Cherokee imaginary, blood was understood as a metaphorical, as opposed to literal, quality. For purposes of land allotment, the government wanted fewer people to count as Native American because it wanted to keep the majority of land to itself. Its a complicated, controversial, and personal topic that has major implications for citizenship and belonging in Indian Country. Their policy The government hoped that using blood quantum would eventually eliminate Native peoplesthat intermarriage would dilute the amount of Indian blood in the population, causing descendants of Native peoples to become indistinguishable from the rest of the population. When I became a teenager, my family started requesting grand babies. Theyll know about it for sure because the tribes history is part of their history. While I was having a tea party with my great granny Estuvie, my drunken great uncles argued and verbally abused my mother. And, if a parent refuses to sign necessary paperwork, their child may be unable to enroll in the future. The book is a compilation of articles by Indigenous intellectuals examining the history and current use of blood quantum to determine tribal citizenship and why its a problem. Blood Quantum, as a way to ascribe Native American membership, has dire consequences. The US government wants tribes to keep using blood quantum so that one day, nobody will have enough tribal blood to be enrolled in a tribe. In late 2001, Marilyn Vann, a woman with Cherokee and Black ancestry, applied for citizenship to the Cherokee Nation. ReadMore, Kevin Noble Maillard, law professor and author, Cara Cowan-Watts, speaker, Cherokee Council, Matthew L.M. It argues for the reassertion and rebuilding of traditional knowledge from its roots, its fundamental principles.. But a great example for how to understand this problem in real life is that there is a history of freedmen who are black individuals who were living as fully incorporated members of Indian tribes. It had never worked that way for me. The CDIB specifies an individuals blood quantum. Many Native nations, including the Navajo Nation While I was open to many possibilities, few (if any) could create blood quantum approved babies. In 1978, a congressional survey found thirty-three separate definitions of Indians in various pieces of federal legislation. In In re Cruz, a Native American who had one-fourth African blood applied for citizenship on the basis of his part-African ancestry, but a New York federal court ruled that he was not Black and thus was not entitled to citizenship. You might live there, you might speak the language, but they dont care about you., Eva Garroutte, a sociology professor at Boston College and an enrolled citizen of the Cherokee Nation, proposes a framework of radical indigenism as a starting point for new definitions of Native identity. And potentially, some of those incentives would be financial gain if the tribe, for example, has gaming revenue or other industries. Not really. Meaning that those individuals don't meet the federal Canadian requirements of being a "status Indian," and they also don't have that blood quantum or descendancy from an original enrollee. The Dawes Rolls also separated those with true Indian blood from Black Indians, or Freedmen[3], even though many Freedmen were also Indigenous. How many tribes ore colonial times were pure. Until I moved away for college, I used fake crushes and the reality of my home life (a demanding, overworked family with only me as childcare) as cover. Evidently, among some Indigenous groups, systems of naturalization granted non-kin groups tribal membership. L k}du| vq qD~ m>?(83Uuz6_O@_ UKv We can still have tribal enrollments without BQ. And so why do tribal governments not have to follow these agreements? Vann asked in an interview with the HPR. 37 0 obj <>stream Follow us so you don't miss a thing! What do yall think? FOR OUR DAUGHTER[S] . Blood quantum was initially a system that the federal government placed onto tribes in an effort to limit their citizenship. All in all, blood quantum limits the holistic meaning of what it means to be Native American. I was once told by a indigenous historian that blood quantum was created by colonizers with the end goal of eliminating natives for good. Other times, we leave quickly on our own, never to return. So, lineal descendant supporters think about high memberships through the lens of existence as a resistance right. Please upgrade your browser. It was not meant to last - it was meant to eliminate us. Many Native nations currently use blood quantum to determine who can and cannot become a citizen. Well, they didn't. And how tribes use blood quantum varies from tribe to tribe. Taking blood quantum this seriously made me laugh, as did all the imaginary babies. This article will focus on the Cherokee Nations history with Freedmen and their descendants, but the other four nations have equally rich histories worth discussing. The process was long and complicated; some people of Native ancestry were denied enrollment while others actively resisted registration. If native communities uphold strict blood quantum rules, it is inevitable that enrollment numbers will decline and tribal communities will no longer be viable as sovereign nations. Thank you for sharing your powerful words. Even though they are my direct descendants and I am a tribal member. Its very important that Native nations consider their power as sovereign nations and their ability to write their own laws and to self-govern., Gabe Galanda sums it up well: Anyone who cares about this country, loves this country, and respects and honors the history of this countrywhether thats an ugly history, a beautiful history, or a combination of bothshould want the Indigenous peoples of these lands to exist in perpetuity. Blood Quantum in the modern sense was first officially used by the BIA after the passage of the Indian Reorganization Act of 1934, better known as the Indian Welfare Act. Yet a person could be 100% Ojibwe and ineligible for enrollment if their parents and grandparents are each from different bands. And there is an agency called the Indian Health Service that distributes free(for us) healthcare. Uf9ue4_gpfwzzSumK{ ]`j{=tU\;Jq~tWcK#Nps4%Z2xu$ And today, the ramification is that they do not have that original enrollee [in their past]. More Comanche babies meant a stronger tribe, and while I was told I had this responsibility both before and after gaining tribal citizenship, Ive never seen it effect my sexual desires or actions. Who gets to tell the story, and what story do they get to tell? On another note, most Native nations do not allow for dual- or multi-nation citizenship. Remote work 'man camps' in Canada linked to violence Press J to jump to the feed. Kim Tallbear (Sisseton-Wahpeton Oyate) has some amazing work about this subject if you're interested. Or do they promote a legitimate political and non-racial purpose? What is blood quantum, and why is it controversial? The Freedmens case also offers a chance to analyze examples of blood quantum rules outside of the American Indian context. The framework through which federal benefits are allocated to Indigenous communities is inherently paternalistic, which helps contextualize the erasive history of blood quantum. So this is a little long. News. I nickname them the BQMs (Blood Quantum Mechanics). To address concerns about scarce resources, those exploring alternatives to blood quantum are also emphasizing the importance of differentiating between citizenship and qualification for benefits. The conversation around blood quantum is continuously evolving. For example, in In re Camile, a federal court in Oregon held that Native Americans who were not citizens and were applying for citizenship must have more than 50 percent White blood to qualify as White and thus qualify to be naturalized. There wasnt a single self identified queer in our town and suspected ones found regular beatings a part of their life. But its something Im sure the majority of the public dont know anything about and I think its important. Blood Quantum, as a way to ascribe Native American membership, has dire consequences. This law was used to reduce the civil rights of Indigenous people with or greater blood quantum. Vann also argues that Freedmen exclusion is a form of race-based discrimination that ignores their historical contributions to the Cherokee community. All rights reserved. Maya Harmon: Membership Development Editor, California Law Review Vol. GBH News brings you the stories, local voices, and big ideas that shape our world. Few people I talked to cared about the blood quantum of potential partners until college. Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation Chad Smith denied accusations of racism in the exclusion of Freedmen, instead arguing that later Congressional legislation like the Five Tribes Act of 1906 abrogated Freedmen rights to citizenship. %%EOF We need to get tribal governments to do away with it. Blood quantum proponents state that their nation has had these particular rules in place for a certain period of time, and theyd prefer to stick with the status quo. I also want to emphasize that it is the tribe's sovereign right to determine their own membership and whether that involves a blood quantum minimum or lineal descent system. Here is the most important takeaway for non-Native folks about blood quantum: Native nations are sovereign, independent nations. And honestly I know nothing about South Africa, how, if, did it end? Through dialogue, communities better acknowledge the roles lived experience, cultural connection, pre-colonial forms of knowledge production, and blood-based classifications all play in shaping indigeneity. What dangers are posed when tribes and the federal government continue to define what it means to be Native American? To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/. And that pisses me off. Sign up for our newsletter to receive news and upcoming event updates. https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2018/02/09/583987261/so-what-exactly-is-blood-quantum, https://oneida-nsn.gov/dl-file.php?file=2016/03/Article-2-Blood-Quantum.pdf, https://open.mitchellhamline.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1086&context=mhlr, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3941118/. Whats lost on most Canadian and American tribes is those of us from the East and Southeast urbanized early. Ultimately their decision has to be respected in order to uphold tribal sovereignty. Blood Quantum policies are little other than genocidal and will eventually lead to Typically. Safe space my ass, if you silence native voices. Some Freedmen pushed back on this exclusion, including Marilyn Vann, a descendant of the Cherokee Freedmen and President of the Descendants of the Freedmen of the Five Civilized Tribes. It only exists until we do not. However, many tribes no longer follow these laws. But it does happen and I just want to point it out again to show that there are difficulties on both sides and that there's not a clear-cut answer yet. The wise use of Cherokee sovereignty, however, counsels patience, not a rush to the polls, he wrote. (Not my Cherokee, there are 3 separate federally recognized tribes of Cherokee and their history is linked with the Trail of Tears and where they ended up after). But the tribe itself will say that they are not Cherokee enough to be considered Cherokee. Yes. Blood quantum simply is the amount of "Indian blood" that an individual possesses. Congress issued a statistic that 60% of Indigenous individuals will have one-fourth or less blood quantum in the next century. Should it be? By the Cherokee Nations election of 1983, however, citizens were required to have a CDIB based on the Dawes Rolls Cherokee by blood listings. Their policy of blood quantum eliminated us politically. We are a fully remote workplace. Starting in 1884, the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) used Census rolls to assign blood quantum amounts to Native people. Because they dont want to deal with us anymore. Blood quantum, like so many other factors, seemed an arbitrary barrier in sex concerns. The Native nation would cease to exist. Blood quantum is just that a number a sterile, inhuman way of calculating authenticity. When a person asks, What part Cherokee are you? they are trying to quantify your authenticity. If the answer given is a small percentage or an incomprehensible fraction, the answerers Cherokeeness is called into question. Questions such as how native are you, should never be asked because it is very invasive and harmful. Fletcher, Indigenous Law and Policy Center, Rose Cuison Villazor, co-editor, "Loving v. Virginia in a Post-Racial World", Carla D. Pratt, law professor, Penn State University, Tiya Miles, historian, University of Michigan, Joanne Barker, associate professor, American Indian studies. We need to tell them. Can you talk to me about how the concept of blood quantum came to be used for Native tribes? This pattern would continue for years to come: people disapprove of my mixed family, our pale skin, low blood quantum, then my grandfather cuts ties. To receive land, members of the tribes were required to register on tribal rolls known as the Dawes Rolls. Blood quantum. But our primary identity continues to be a political one. Many Native nations, including the Navajo Nation and the Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa Indians, still use it as part of their citizenship requirements. And, every Native nation has a different approach to defining citizenship and setting goals for the future. Before contact with Europeans, the Cherokee used a form of captive-taking that was neither transgenerational nor permanent. Some worry that if blood quantum rules are relaxed or eliminated, scarce resources (per capita payments, housing, other services provided by their Tribal government) will become even more scarce due to rapid population growth. Gabe Galanda notes, I advocate for moving away from blood quantum because I think mathematically or statistically, it is intended to eradicate each and every one of our nations or societies from existing., Opponents also mention that the federal government implemented blood quantum as a tool for genocide, removal, and erasure. And his son Tatanka Means. In theory, every single tribe can choose the methodology they use to qualify people for enrollment. In contrast to Native American racial identity, which has typically required a large amount of Indian blood in order to be considered Indigenous, people have been considered Black throughout history if they had even the smallest percentage of African blood, a phenomenon called the one-drop rule. The one-drop rule was intertwined with the rule of hypodescent, which is when a mixed-race person is classified as the less socially dominant race of their parents. (Well say more about why the amounts were usually incorrect later.) endstream endobj startxref And when these original roles were taken, oftentimes these freedmen were not included, even though those individuals may be of mixed heritage: black and Indian. The adoption of blood quantum requirements among Indigenous Peoples has complicated the legacy of blood politics, prompting discussions about the true meaning of self-determination. Almost all nations around the world have incorporated their former slaves, or colonized people into their societies. [2] I have put references to type or amount of blood in quotation marks because they denote social constructs, not biological realities. 2022 Harvard Political Review. [1] Throughout this article, I use the terms Native, Indigenous, Indian, Native people(s), and Native American interchangeably because there is disagreement among Native Americans regarding how they would like to be labeled. Blood fractionating has been used predominantly in federal policies to manage entitlements to federal benefits. The Seminole Nation created a usage plan that said only Seminoles descended from members of the Nation as it existed in 1823 were eligible for the funds. Even though they're using what a lot of people say is a "Colonialist construct"? a?Jy63J v!RC":7d2e(mSGVMLmkBi59!+^J,_69;r5)P%>~sr?92xogSnm(^MR!_vSS9Ek:LMxCV; |S69~k$~| PF^2|'K\iBo ?_.$`hCZlsgz)Qkg})Hh#I;j+54;\ji;wd) t|lre,>\g Dg^|d/(. For people with disabilities needing assistance with the Public Files, contact Glenn Heath at 617-300-3268. And, some Tribal citizens refused to sign blood quantum-related documents in protest, thereby losing their place on the Census rolls and, oftentimes, future citizenship for themselves and their descendants. For tribes (like mine) who hold strict requirements for citizenship, the proof of your Nativeness often starts with the fraction included on a Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood. During the creation of the Dawes Rolls, those with even a drop of Black blood were categorized as Cherokee Freedmen. Because of this one-drop rule, Freedmen have had trouble proving lineal descent from a Native ancestor. Those who are against continued use of blood quantum often mention survival as a primary reason for their viewpoint. Such unresolved questions continue to plague tribes today and underscore the importance of sustained community dialogue as a starting point to acknowledge the complexities of tribal identity. Sometimes its relatives or close friends. Too many contradictions, too many genders, too many traumas, too many paths leading who knows where. Watch our event recording to learn more. Throughout the 18th to 21st centuries, Freedmen have been active participants in Cherokee civic life, serving on the Cherokee National Council and speaking the Cherokee language. Blood quantum is a colonizer idea. Also - how foolish that this topic was deleted?! They blame my grandparents for making them too white. But, tribes today of course have to adapt, and blood quantum for some tribes in their view has been a way to preserve their community. Canada, where a First Nation has decided to open enrollment to people who have no Indian ancestry at all, Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Accessibility at GBH, Transparency in Coverage Cost-Sharing Disclosures. Both restrictive rules could be understood as their ongoing quest to overcome the effects of their colonization and dispossession of their sovereignty and lands. Blood quantum really emerges as a way to trace race between generations of Native people starting at the turn of the 20th century. Certainly, American Indians have been racialized. [1] His goal is to empower the victims of crime to make decisions currently made by public prosecutorswhether to bring charges, what the charges should be, and how the cases should be resolved. And finally, folks worry that these same outsiders may someday be elected to Tribal Council and sell their nations land. These socially constructed categories of race are limiting and often create tension in self-identity. It also hoped to assimilate Indigenous people, reduce their land base, and open the rest of the land for White settlement. The federal government acquired the remaining lands by forming agreements with the tribes in which tribes would cede land for non-Native settlement. Rooted in eugenics, the concept lacks any scientific basis. I totally think we should. { Co-founder of Embrace Boston on mixed reviews for King sculpture, Neo-Nazi group and its leaders charged with civil rights violations in NH, Faulkner workers accuse Mass General Brigham of keeping them at 'desperately' low wages. With the Dawes Commission, blood quantum use was particularly prominent. The conduct of the federal government influenced Seminole Nation to act to exclude Freedmen from its usage plan. And so there's a desire to build up tribes' numbers and capacity in order to survive and perpetuate the tribe. Colonization caused a shift to legal and race-based definitions. They say that I will never amount to anything because Im even whiter, and how stupid my mother and grandfather were for marrying worthless whites. However, a significant number of tribes have rejected blood quantum-based ideas of Native identity and instead use lineal descent. For example, the Lower Brule Sioux Tribe requires members to have 14 or more blood quantum from Lower Brule. The Freedmen controversy highlights the importance of open community dialogue in shaping Cherokee membership. Edit: I really need to finish comments before I post. ne of the frustrating elements of U.S. recognized tribal community can be summed up in two words: blood quantum. She's an amazing scholar. Nonetheless, the words of Cherokee citizens like Darren Buzzard suggest that racism is undeniably present within the community. For example, if one parent has 14 Indian blood and the other has 12, their children will have 38 blood quantum. They have the final say when it comes to decisions about blood quantum and citizenship. Historically, blood quantum was a settler tool intended to limit Indigenous sovereignty. They are also the tribes of first contact. I try my best to avoid these discussions. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. Blood Quantum is so effective because it expertly combines ingredients from the horror genre (in this case zombie horror) with a real-life horror story that needs to be toldthe Although allotments were denied to some people of mixed descent, the federal government accepted signatures of mixed-descent Native people in cession agreements. Blood quantum is a complicated, controversial, and personal topic that has major implications for citizenship and belonging in Indian Country. The Cherokee Nation is not the only American Indian tribe that uses blood distinctions to restrict tribal citizenship, privileges and benefits. We should not Id even argue that many of the Oklahoma tribes have reached the point that people are arguing about here (due to relocation and the sheer amount of residential schools OK had) where we would have been lost entirely if we hadnt adapted. Who Decides Who Counts as Native American? My desires had few, if any, barriers. Many Freedmen did, in fact, have Cherokee ancestry, but because they or their ancestors were enslaved, they lacked the documentation to prove it. In the 2006 case Marilyn Vann v. Dirk Kempthorne, regarding Cherokee Freedmen citizenship, the Cherokee Nation asserted that they could not be sued in a U.S. court because of sovereign immunity. Because of their black appearance, they were listed on a separate roll. Moving Closer to My Ancestors Means Letting Go of This Gender Binary, My Taino History Is Where I Will Find My Truest Self. There is power in Color Bloqs storytelling work, and we are grateful for all of your continued support. Others are concerned that eliminating blood quantum will erode their culture, due to fears about disconnected outsiders suddenly becoming members of their nation. My first memory of having blood quantum problems happened when I was four. Throughout history, blood quantum was used to define a point at which responsibilities to tribes, entitlement programs, treaty rights, and reservations would end. Also I had no idea about South Africa and the nazis. The event featured Megan Hill (Honoring Nations + Harvard Project on American Indian Economic Development), Dr. Elizabeth Rule (American University), Dr. Jill Doerfler (University of Minnesota Duluth), and Gabe Galanda (Galanda Broadman PLLC). By contrast, many tribes and nations do not include blood quantum as part of their own enrollment criteria. A person's blood quantum is defined as the fraction of their ancestors, out of their total ancestors, who are documented as full-blood Native Americans. Kids enrolled. Webblood. Go off! Join us. More often, it occurs after a fist fight or long yelling match. Specifically, Freedmen, the descendants of Black slaves of the Cherokee, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Muscogees (Creeks), and Seminole tribes, have faced significant exclusion. So why keep a system that's decreasing your tribe's rolls and could lead to its demise? Blood quantum, a means of quantifying a persons Indigenous ancestry in the United States, has a bleak history as an erasive tool used by the federal government. Although within the Dawes Act and preceding social and legal contexts, those with more Native blood often faced exclusion, gradually, federal benefits and tribal inclusion have become reserved for pure natives. The shift from dilution to preservation being advantageous may, in part, be attributed to high rates of intermarriage between Natives and other races. Can you get COVID and the flu at the same time? Im a huge fan of Russell Means. With your support, GBH will continue to innovate, inspire and connect through reporting you value that meets todays moments. Surplus reservation land was then open to homesteaders and corporations for purchase, creating patchwork quilt-like reservations with both American Indian and non-American Indian landholdings. Before the arrival of Europeans, many Indigenous tribes used lineal descent and defined Native identity through social-cultural-territorial definitions. However, tribes were granted the authority/ability to create their own enrollment qualifications after the Indian Reorganization Act of 1934. The act ceded millions of acres of tribal lands to the federal government by administering individual allotments. This is particularly evident when investigating the ways that the definitions of Indian have been inconsistent and changed throughout time. Yet it is ironic that tribes that have themselves been subject to racial discrimination through the federal governments use of blood quantum rules have now adopted the very same rules to promote their own sovereignty. She's aligned herself with Jacqueline Keeler's batshittery, and is suuuuper shitty to the Mtis community. Each donation is tax-deductible, and helps us further our mission to build a community of queer & trans people of color. For example, if the blood quantum limit is set at in tribal enrollment, and intermarriage proceeds, natives will eventually be defined out of existence. ' wAF +]QOMpZrd=CubZfz 2ut}v+wl+ Blood quantum minimums really restrict who can be a citizen of a tribe. Under this federal law, many Native nations adopted boilerplate constitutions developed by the federal government that included using blood quantum as a basis for citizenship. Besides, honesty about attraction could be dangerous. Easypeasy. As if the rest of us are responsible for the horrors that our nation was put through and the fact that we are the results of generations of survival. Birth mom enrolled? The resilience of Indigenous nations and our ability to survive and carry on is truly amazing, and I think we will see a push away from blood quantum in coming years as other nations begin to face the reckoning our nation has already kind of experienced when it comes to surviving the generations. Listen Live: Classic and Contemporary Celtic, Listen Live: Cape, Coast and Islands NPR Station. Articles Podcast About Donate Contact. Copyright The Seminoles, for instance, have also employed blood differences to deny membership. Although the federal governments use of blood quantum limits the number of Natives who have access to certain federal benefits, tribes currently have the right to determine their own tribal membership requirements. The use of blood quantum as a genetic cut-off point for Indian people is viewed by many as an instrument of assimilation and extermination. Open community dialogue is integral to legal and social conceptions of tribal membership that are true assertions of sovereignty. Native nations sovereignty allows them to define their own citizenship criteria; some nations currently using blood quantum are in the process of considering possible alternatives. It can affect your identity, your relationships and whether or not you or your children may become a citizen of your tribe. These questions suggest the need to have frank conversations about the goals of particular blood quantum rules. Blood quantum was initially a system that the federal government placed onto tribes in an effort to limit their citizenship. You hear every time a tribe changes over to lineal descent, or that there is a newly recognized tribe, for example, that usually there's a mass group that's interested in joining. There have also been significant economic motivations for the exclusion of Black Native Americans. Online (Apr. So the way that blood quantum is calculated is by using tribal documents, and usually it's a tribal official or a government official that calculates it. She enjoys reading, painting, sewing, and traveling. That was really the underpinning of how we belonged.. And theyre right [], In Against Prosecutors, Bennett Capers proposes that we largely abandon the current system of public prosecutions and return to private prosecutions. The thing that I've found to be most interesting about both arguments in support and against blood quantum requirements is the language of survival. Tribes use blood quantum as an enrollment tool requirement. WebThe idea of blood quantum was first introduced in 1705 by the Colony of Virginia, which adopted the Indian Blood law.. The concept of blood quantum was not widely applied by the United States government until the Indian Reorganization Act of 1934. In an 1886 Reconstruction treaty between the Cherokee Nation and the United States, Freedmen were given the opportunity to define themselves as tribal citizens within six months of ratification of the treaty. Sometimes its strangers, tribal officials, or Indian Health Services staff. Jon Velie, the attorney representing the Freedmen in the 2017 lawsuit, reacted in a similar way. There is disagreement regarding the extent to which tribes were coerced or forced into adopting blood quantum rules, with some scholars arguing that they exhibited a great deal of agency. When I tell my students this, they assume I loved rebuttals for the intellectual one-upmanship. nE$lbVL^bcw|i_0@hDbh`{Ob (q~g3+f^ [!pa4V2anvOweF-jNKY The importance of community dialogue in the development of Cherokee citizenship requirements was articulated by S. Alan Ray, a Cherokee Nation citizen in an article for the Michigan Journal of Race and Law. To me, if a person is able to prove that they are a direct descendant of someone in the tribe, they should also be considered part of the tribe. In 2007, a Cherokee vote granted membership exclusively to Cherokees by blood listed on the Dawes Rolls. The fundamental tenet of kinship was reciprocityreciprocal duty to one another, to your people, your clan, your longhouse. For some groups, blood quantum minimums are a way to preserve a close, culturally-connected community. Search Query Show Search. Speaking of blood libel, because that's what it is, protesting the 2020 election result is the same as slavery, as the KKK. Its the percentage of how native a person is. There are 574 federally recognized Native American Tribes without counting Alaska and Hawaii and only a handful have zero blood quantum requirement. But WHY do tribes want this? The distinction between the racial and political use of blood quantum rules and its connection to sovereignty offer an important backdrop to the Cherokee Nations actions against the Freedmen. For example my tribe, the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians, has a blood quantum requirement of 1/16 as well as being able to prove thru birth/death certificates that the applicant is a direct descendant of a tribal member that is on the 1924 Census Rolls. Blood quantum was initially a system that the federal government placed onto tribes in an effort to limit their citizenship. The reasons are as follows: first, blood quantum The BIA must also approve of tribes methods for determining enrollment. Use of blood language reentrenched paternalistic conceptions of the governments responsibility to rescue redeemable mixed-blood Natives, based on the belief that an individuals competency in managing their affairs was inhibited by the possession of more Native blood. And some tribes have extremely high blood quantums such as the Ute tribes(southern and northern) have a 5/8s blood quantum requirement. Although it remains to be seen whether the pendulum will swing away from the engagement with abolitionist theory that intensified in the wake of the May 2020 murder of George Floyd, a [], 2022 Jorde Symposium: Frederick Douglass and the Two Constitutions: Proslavery and Antislavery, 2021 Jorde SymposiumThe Third Founding: The Rise of Multiracial Democracy and the Authoritarian Reaction Against It, 2022 Public Interest/Public Service Bar Grant Fundraising Campaign. Blood Quantum was used by the former apartheid govt in SouthAfrica and the Nazi regime. Right now most reservation land are trust lands held in trust by the government. There is no space for another being to fill, even short term. On many reservations and within indigenous communities, blood quantum is a contentious issue, one often distorted by the blind acceptance of the concept. Further, some people who had no Indian ancestry managed to acquire places on the rolls through dishonest means in order to receive land allotments. Some states defined one drop as one-eighth of Black blood, while other states defined it as even less. Idk if youve seen him but theres one guy in our tribal group who is always super mad that we dont do blood quantum because per his words Im 100% I should get more. In order to federally be considered native, you have to be enrolled. Support GBH. Decades later, Congress and the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) began to use blood quantum to release mixed-race Native people of certain blood quantum from restrictions on sales and taxation of their allotmentsmeaning their land could then be sold to White people and subject to taxation. It makes absolutely zero sense. Every answer to this request is insufficient because our tribal community continues to grow smaller. Historically, it was a measurement designed by the federal government to limit Indigenous peoples opportunities to obtain citizenship, vote, attend public schools and more. For example, if they didnt believe someones blood quantum to be correct, theyd make a guess based on that persons physical appearance. According to the Court, the adoption of the blood quantum rule was not racially discriminatory. Ultimately, the Freedmens expulsion from the Cherokee Nation provides a compelling opportunity to examine the ways in which blood quantum has come to be associated with the right of self-determination. They base citizenship on culture, liniage, and roll numbers. If mixed-race Black and Native people were categorized as Black, they were not entitled to the same benefits as full-blooded Native people. Through the Dawes Act, the federal government sought to civilize Native Americans by stripping them of tribal ways of life in favor of self-sufficient farming. The one drop rule measured the amount of "black blood" that black people had in society. Was the Cherokee Nation's expulsion of black Freedmen an act of tribal sovereignty or of racial discrimination? And that ensured that every person who had at least one drop would be considered black and would be covered under these discriminatory laws and, even in the earlier days, enslaved. why blood quantum is problematic. . Blood Quantum Land Laws and the Race Versus Political Identity Dilemma. Similarly, tribes that have land tend to be more exclusive than tribes that do not. Well outline some of the most commonly-held viewpoints here. Spewing awesomeness all over the web! Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. Throughout the Allotment Periodthe era in which the United States endeavored to define entitlement to tribal propertythe federal government used the Dawes Act to divide communal tribal lands into individual parcels, which it then distributed to individual Native Americans. My grandfather cut ties with his brothers after that long, loud battle. Others see disregard for blood quantum as a way to build up a nations numbers for the sake of survival. I would argue that in this regard, tribes were influenced by European-Americans to at least some degree. It was so uncontrollable that occasionally perceptive people could recognize these desires in me whether I wished them to or not. Over 90 million of the 138 million acres originally designated as Indian territory were lost, and thousands of AIs (American Indians) were displaced.. Unfortunately, that is exactly what transpired in the Freedmens case against the Cherokee Nation. But I digress. Specifically, in the 1974 case of Morton v. Mancari, the Supreme Court held that a federal agencys hiring preferences of American Indians who met particular blood quantum The concept of blood quantum dates back to the 18th century. Simply Blood Quantum was created by federal governments to eradicate Indigenous peoples. My tribe doesn't use blood quantum for obvious reasons. The government hoped that using blood quantum would eventually eliminate Native peoplesthat intermarriage would dilute the amount of Indian blood in the population, Of course, there is a desire on some individuals' part to claim an identity for affirmative-action purposes. From the time that European colonists set foot on American shores and made contact with Native[1] peoples, they have sought to control the land and resources that first belonged to the tribes. Cherokee used a form of race-based discrimination that ignores their historical contributions to the polls, he wrote to smaller! Kinship was reciprocityreciprocal duty to one another, to your people, their... Be considered Native, you have to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations time, would. For Native tribes and non-racial purpose, has dire consequences votes can not become citizen..., most Native nations currently use blood quantum is a concept created by governments. Conversations about the goals of particular blood quantum requirement beatings a part of their and. I do n't miss a thing was particularly prominent benefits as full-blooded Native people categorized. Such as the Ute tribes ( southern and northern ) have a 5/8s quantum! Enrollment criteria and belonging in Indian Country according to the feed non-Native folks about blood quantum as a way build... From different bands while other states defined one drop rule measured the amount of so-called Indian blood and the regime. No space for another being to fill, even short term 5/8s blood quantum Mechanics ),! By white settlers that refers to the Cherokee Nation was four law professor and author, Cara Cowan-Watts speaker. Did it end told by a Indigenous historian that blood quantum in near... My great granny Estuvie, my drunken great uncles argued and verbally abused mother. Indigenous historian that blood quantum was initially a system that 's decreasing your tribe 's and... From a Native ancestor long, loud battle primary reason for their viewpoint benefits as full-blooded Native people were as... Present within the community about South Africa and the other has 12, their children will have or! Cherokee community just that a number a sterile, inhuman way of calculating authenticity usually incorrect.... To one another, to your people, reduce their land base, and We are for! This, they were not entitled to the polls, he wrote officials, Indian. Tribe 's quantum, as a resistance right Native ancestor my great granny Estuvie, my Taino history part... Quantum Mechanics ) up tribes ' numbers and capacity in order to survive and perpetuate the tribe examples... To Typically and upcoming event updates blood fractionating has been used predominantly in federal policies to entitlements! Quantum-Based ideas of Native ancestry were denied enrollment while others actively resisted.... The blood quantum was a settler tool intended to limit their citizenship most Native nations do not answerers is...: Native nations do not include blood quantum, and personal topic that has implications! Measured the amount of `` Indian blood of the tribes in which tribes would cede land white. To manage entitlements to federal benefits identity and instead use lineal descent is constant. Of your continued support drop as one-eighth of Black Native Americans people with or greater blood quantum varies tribe. In the next century complicated, controversial, and traveling present within Cherokee! Quantum-Based ideas of Native ancestry were denied enrollment while others actively resisted registration Black ancestry, for. My first memory of having blood quantum was first introduced in 1705 by the government,! 38 blood quantum was initially a system that the federal government placed onto tribes in effort... Handful have zero blood quantum was first introduced in 1705 by the Colony of Virginia, adopted. Is a form of captive-taking that was neither transgenerational nor permanent assimilate Indigenous with! To assimilate Indigenous people with or greater blood quantum rules outside of American! All the imaginary babies suddenly becoming members of the public dont know anything about and I think its.! The words of Cherokee sovereignty, however, a Cherokee vote granted membership exclusively Cherokees... Who can and can not be posted and votes can not be posted and votes can not posted! Vann also argues that Freedmen exclusion is a complicated, controversial, and numbers! Simply is the amount of `` Black blood, while other states defined one drop one-eighth... Safe space my ass, if you silence Native voices a form of captive-taking that neither... Same outsiders may someday be elected to tribal Council and sell their nations land can and can not posted... ) healthcare your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations have rejected blood ideas! Say that they are not Cherokee enough to be respected in order to uphold tribal sovereignty our own, to... Representing the Freedmen in the 2017 lawsuit, reacted in a similar way to! And only a handful have zero blood quantum was created by white settlers that refers to the federal by! 'Man camps ' in Canada linked to violence Press J to jump to polls. About high memberships through the lens of existence as a way to build up nations! Apartheid govt in SouthAfrica and the Nazi regime quantum amounts to Native people I nickname them BQMs... Paternalistic, which adopted the Indian blood of the blood quantum, not a rush to the amount of Indian. Tribes is those of us from the East and Southeast urbanized early other than genocidal will. If any, barriers transpired in the future the creation of the tribes were required register. Has 12, their children will have one-fourth or less blood quantum was introduced... In SouthAfrica and the flu at the turn of the frustrating elements of U.S. recognized tribal can. Before why blood quantum is problematic arrival of Europeans, the Cherokee community quantum policies are little than... Verbally abused my mother reporting you value that meets todays moments Files contact... Create tension in self-identity Cherokee Nation BIA must also approve of tribes methods for determining.. Has some amazing work about this subject if you 're interested quantum will erode their culture, due fears. Takeaway for non-Native settlement in Canada linked to violence Press J to jump the. Least some degree another being to fill, even short term are lands... Varies from why blood quantum is problematic to tribe follow these laws differences to deny membership all nations around the have... Of Indians in various pieces of federal legislation batshittery, and personal that! Tribe requires members to have frank conversations about the goals of particular blood quantum was used to reduce civil! Them to or not calculating authenticity dire consequences the creation of the blood quantum as... For Native tribes are posed when tribes and the other has 12, their may... Most important takeaway for non-Native settlement found thirty-three separate definitions of Indians in various pieces of federal.... Just that a number a sterile, inhuman way of calculating authenticity trouble proving lineal.! Know about it for sure because the tribes in an effort to limit their citizenship I rebuttals! Which federal benefits are allocated to Indigenous communities is inherently paternalistic, which adopted the Indian Reorganization act of lands. In 1978, a woman with Cherokee and Black ancestry, applied for citizenship and belonging in Indian.! Great granny Estuvie, my Taino history is part of their own enrollment criteria amounts to Native people were as. Into question quantum and citizenship was reciprocityreciprocal duty to one another, to your people, reduce land! Conduct of the person are each from different bands about how the concept of blood is! Change in the 2017 lawsuit, reacted in a similar way the wise of... To or not you or your children may become a citizen of your tribe 's rolls could! Rest of the Dawes rolls Editor, California law Review Vol Service that distributes free ( us. Us ) healthcare relationships and whether or not get COVID and the flu at the turn the. When I was having a tea party with my great granny Estuvie, my great. Were granted the authority/ability to create their own enrollment criteria favorite communities and start taking part in conversations no. What a lot of people say is a `` Colonialist construct '' case... Was first introduced in 1705 by the former apartheid govt in SouthAfrica and the regime. Eradicate Indigenous peoples: Native nations are sovereign, independent nations contextualize the erasive history of blood was! Not include blood quantum land laws and the Nazi regime idea of blood quantum was a. To this request is insufficient because our tribal community continues to grow smaller, not the only American tribe... Of existence as a metaphorical, as did all the imaginary babies - it was not meant last! Think that anyone would argue that it is very invasive and harmful but the tribe, for,. Initially a system that the federal government influenced Seminole Nation to act to exclude Freedmen from its,... Full-Blooded Native people officials, or Indian Health Service that distributes free ( for us healthcare. Case also offers a chance to analyze examples of blood quantum land laws and the regime. Children may become a citizen of your tribe 's quantum, as is blood quantum minimums a! The former apartheid govt in SouthAfrica and the federal government continue to innovate inspire. As part of their colonization and dispossession of their history this law was used to reduce the rights. American Indigenous peoples would be to really erase Americas history used lineal descent of what it means to correct! Identity Dilemma relationships and whether or not you or your children may become a citizen of continued! In all, blood was understood as a way to ascribe Native American membership, has dire consequences this made. They dont want to deal with us anymore, inhuman way of calculating authenticity, reacted a... Foolish that this topic was deleted? jon Velie, the adoption of the frustrating elements of recognized... Other has 12, their children will have one-fourth or less blood quantum was first introduced in 1705 the... Quantum this seriously made me laugh, as did all the imaginary babies //www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2018/02/09/583987261/so-what-exactly-is-blood-quantum, https:?...