See our blog post on correct toileting procedures. Change). There are great campsites along the AAWT, I never had a problem finding enough space for my two-person tent. This will minimise someone thinking its rubbish, Work out a plan just in case you cant find your cache or if its missing, If you live within a state you can generally drop boxes into a proposed accomodation point by vehicle. Australian Alps Walking Track Itinerary (PDF - 61 KB ) EN. Australian Alps - Wikipedia Australian Alps Walking Track . If you end up travelling slower, then you may end up going hungry which is fine for a day but any longer will becomes an issue. If finishing the walk at the Namadgi Visitor Centre in Tharwa, you will also find that there is no public transport to or from the Visitor Centre. This was the Australian Alps Walking Track. Meet another Tiger snake coming down Mt Mac Donald. Let someone know where you are going. the valley in one day - basically walk from Murray Gap to beyond Alps Walking I would highly recommend using this as a resource in the planning/preparation stages and also while on the trail. Visit us, email us or call us (03 9600 0599). My shoes, clothes, wet weather gear are all soaking wet except for what I am wearing. I always carry a beanie with me and wear it most days. We carried a full set of topographic maps and these were essential. Sidetrips are also included as Day -31 It ends before it begins. On longer walks it may be necessary to make food drops. of 1:100,000 maps exist for the entire route but these are not the idea for their The track is distinctively identified at track and road intersections for its entire length. stay that way, and in hindsight, a track made in the 1950's might The first suggestion of a long distance walking track in specifically for bushwalkers. From there I found some really old snow gums in a meadow that would make a great camp. Tourist Development Authority suggested a track from Mt Wellington Shortly after arriving at camp Laura and Jenna turned up. Luckily for tardy travellers, the cut-off points for snagging a prime rental for 2023's holidays and 2024 . The entire route takes about 30 to 55 days to complete It is 655 km long, starting at Walhalla, Victoria and running through to Tharwa, ACT near Canberra. ascent and descent, 6 hours walking per day. I always carry a snake bandage, sunscreen, lip balm and tape for blisters. common. The Australian Alps Walking Track is a 665 km (413 mi) from Walhalla to the very edge of Namadgi National Park in Canberra and the trail passes neat some of the highest peaks of both the states of NSW and Victoria as well as the ACT. There are a couple of water tanks along the trail in areas where there is no flowing water so it is a good idea to check with national parks that they are in working order. It begins just south of Canberra on the edge of Namadgi National Park, continues south through Kosciuszko National Park, crosses the infant Murray River entering Victoria and the Alpine National Park, through the Bogong High Plains, further south to Mt Howitt finally finishing at the old gold mining town of Walhalla south east of Baw Baw National Park. Made to Selwyn Creek Track yesterday and managed to set up camp and grab my second food drop just before a thunderstorm rolled over. But the best part this time was that it had been cleared of the bush and fallen trees. Odyssey offers a range of tours into France and has a collection of Articles to learn more about this leading European country. Victoria, Logging at Mt Stirling whats atstake? The start point could be moved slightly to shorten the trip, depending on the make-up . I decided straight away that I wanted to cross the swamp section of Buena Creek with them the next morning. Coming down Casper Creek Track. A father and son who left 10 days after me. The main aim in resupply is to provide you with food when and where you want it and if possible providing a degree of flexibility. I spent three hours there having lunch and quick dips. Depending on the hike, and the duration of the hike it is likely that you will find yourself using different resupply strategies or combination of strategies. Atalifo says coupled with the effects of wind-driven waves expected from TD05F, particularly from the 20th to the 24th, there is a "high risk" of coastal flooding over coastal areas of Yasawa and Mamanuca groups, western Viti Levu to Coral Coast, Kadavu and nearby smaller islands, Moala Group, Central and Southern Lau Group. A five- to seven-day odyssey through the incredible World Heritage-listed mountainscapes of Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park, Tasmania's alpine Overland Track is Australia's most famous . destroy wilderness values. The track is generally adequately marked but it isn't a formed hiking trail and so an ability to navigate and deal with sections of di. A small booklet 'Australian Alps Walking Track - Map Guide', to spend one non-walking day at each food drop and 3 to 4 rest days is US$44.99 BUNDLE 16 GUIDES ($0 TO US$15.99 EACH) BIBBULMUN TRACK, AND MORE Each time the box moves along the delivery system you will receive progress reports if you have opted to track it. You may not be appearing on the cat walks of Milan, but you will be warm! Cobungra, Falls Creek, Leinster, Gibbo. I like it because at just 17g, it is very light. Some very experienced ultra-fast walkers have attempted the I found the track out of there and couldnt be more happy to leave Black River behind. maps are also needed as the track is not always clearly marked But finding the camp site when I got there was not easy. Much of the track linked together sites along the track - in fact there are many places suitable are good sites from which to explore sections of the Alps Track. AAWT Track Guide The summary: The Australian Alps Walking Track (AAWT) is a remote 680km walk that links some of the nicest high country on mainland Australia. Over the next 14 years, forestry kept building many new roads Below I will go over some of the most common questions I get asked about the AAWT. They had a really massive day. There was a lot of disagreement Required fields are marked *. In Namadgi National Park fuel stove only areas are areas close to public roadways, walking tracks, huts, ecologically sensitive sites and the Cotter River Catchment. The Australian Alps Walking Track is a long-distance walking trail through the alpine areas of Victoria, New South Wales and ACT. Dont have to worry about water cause I will melt snow. Keep in mind that every hiker is different and there are a multitude of systems that can be fine-tuned on top of these foundational pointers. wilderness areas. There are several ski resorts close to the track, which can provide a some of which still exist today. In many ways, it is the grandest and most difficult of all The weather through these months can vary in temperature from below freezing to over 40 degrees Celsius. for camping depending on water supplies. Weather conditions in the mountains are colder, wetter and much less predictable than at lower altitudes. I spent new years at Bogong Creek Saddle then headed for Maddisons hut site. There In the image below I painted the drum in a eucalyptus green colour that disappeared into the bush. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. I went into Jindabyne and Mt Beauty to resupply from their larger supermarkets and I left food drops at the Kiandra Courthouse, Benambra-Corryong Road and the Jamieson-Licola Road. town. Fraser Island Great Walk, QLD Lake McKenzie (Boorangoora). It also crosses a lot of Australia's ideal walking maps and leave off many details. It is 655 km long, starting at Walhalla, Victoria and running through to Tharwa, ACT near Canberra. water points. upgraded the fire trails to roads - hardly what most people would call Leave trip details (return date and time, planned route, group member names, and vehicle details) with a responsible person or the police. Keep in mind that if it is a dry year tanks, creeks and springs may be dry. It was not easy to find them and when I did I was a little disappointed because I could hear them but could not see them from the view point I got to. My Plan from Cowombat Flat Track was to go off track and camp in the saddle between Moscow Peak and Middle Peak and climb all five Peaks of the Cobberas, but with a fresh food supply I decided my backpack was to heavy to navigate the difficult terrain. Because I didnt open the box there was no charge this service in itself is worth using Australia Post. about read 'From Snow to Ashes' by Anthiony Sharwood. Many of the water sources are also used by animals and will require treatment, in particular the water sources in Northern Kosciusko that are used heavily by the feral horses that have populated the area. Because the track was so steep I start into a full run down the slope. Overland Track. The following is a list of the main 2WD access points beginning with Walhalla. Formerly called 'The Alpine Walking Track', the 'Australian Ended up way day in a gully with massive ferns over my head and it was almost 8pm. along the Snowy River, the official track has been moved, it still has have assisted in protecting what there was. The track was designed by bushwalkers for bushwalkers and does I had never check out Mt Jim before, always just passed it on the pole line so this was the time. I got my breath back and headed to Red Jacket camp site and enjoyed reading all the historical markers on the way. I stripped off to my birthday suit and jumped in. Fuel stoves only above and near the tree line. The Australian Alps Walking Track is a long distance walking trail through the alpine areas of Victoria, New South Wales and ACT. Firstly I did walk down the wrong road and I did walk past the turn off at Big River Saddle and it wasnt raining and there was no mist about. maps. On my way to Mt McDonald then Nobs Track to camp tonight. Day 5 and 6 - Australian Alps Walking Track Another cold night, this time Happy's Hut style it has become pretty easy to wake up with the sun at 5:30 to 6 am. Tents are essential - there are only a couple of huts I was sad to see them go. Meet some cool people and we hiked to the summit of Feathertop for the sunset and it was incredible. require adequate walking skills. I dont know how they did it. Shuttles, food drops and public transport connections. People from outside Australia should note that there is almost no accommodation along the track. On the the way I just had to check Howman Falls and have a dip in every water hole along the way. Australian Alps Walking Track (AU) - 2011 . the markers are being replaced with more visible yellow Depending on the length and location of your walk, you may need to allow 1-2 days of travelling time to cache for an upcoming trip. My personal preference is to carry a maximum pack weight of 21 kg but prefer to be under 19 kg with a maximum of eight days of food although my biggest food carry over the past six years has been 12 days of food. very hard to find on some National Park. Choose a delivery location from the handy online map. DIY Tents. Open season for fishing, and for access via many 4WD tracks, generally is November to early June (Blackfish Jan>Sept, Trout Sept>June). I missed this section two years ago when I walked from Hotham to Thredbo because I lost the guide book through the swamp section. My mate Dave from Pukha drove me back the hill and drop me off at the Razer Back where I continue my journey, but this time I left the guide book behind and plotted my own way to Mt Bogong starting with the Razorback and spending my first night at Federation Hut which was like walking into a music festival with the amount of people and tents. Re: Australian Alps Walking Track Fri 31 Jan, 2014 11:49 am Most of the water issues are between Walhalla and Hotham and it really depends on the season as to the severity of the problem. It is not suitable for travellers The tanks often have larvae or other such swimmers in them. having. I recommend a good quality, medium-cushion sock that will withstand the many kilometres you will be hiking without getting holes. It made for a very pleasant relaxing walk that I enjoyed so much. Set amongst heritage-listed highlands and the Gondwana Rainforests, the trail itself is a mix of 4WD track, packed earth and. If you are seeking a lead-up walk to the AAWT, then consider walkng McMillansTrack. The Mont Helium 600 is a great option. I am at camp now just below Mt St Bernard and have decided I am going to hitch a ride into Bright and pick up some new walking sticks, mattress, sunglasses and tent pegs all things that have lost or broken on the way. You can also purchase food from towns near the trail or have it mailed to the post office of such towns. anyway. is needed, as while there are plenty of minor roads crossing the On the Australian Alps Walking Track you will visit some of Australia's finest alpine national parks. triangles but the It did get a little cold towards the morning. fire bans apply huge signposts. Then theres the amount you want to carry in your pack and these two figures may be totally different. Upper Yarra Walking Track: update 2: It was an awesome day. Accessibility is at Walhalla, a small town near the eastern side of the Baw Note: For more details see the Australian Alps Touring Map. These work well because they are animal and weather proof. Got up early the next morning very excited about exploring a new area of the high plans. as management of these zones dictate no formal marked tracks. A permit is needed to Alpine National Park / Mitta Mitta River area via: at Beloka Road (may be closed during winter), Kosciuszko National Park / Dead Horse Gap, Thredbo, Kosciuszko National Park / Perisher, Charlotte Pass, Guthega, Kosciuszko Road (closed in winter past Perisher), Kosciuszko National Park / Kiandra and Blue Water Holes area. He has a plan to combine the two passions doing a slow traverse of the Australian Alps Walking Track (AAWR) in late 2022, starting at the southern end. Ideally if you plan on carrying all your food for a hike then you should allow some degree of just in case which may just be an additional days worth of food. rest with a bed and a hot shower, but there are few other Plateau. Info: Best done in the warmer months. The southern end edition was published in December 2021 and online This time the log was way to slippery to try and cross it so I had to jump in the river knee deep and cross it. Wales border. On the AAWT: Annie and her little hiking partner (RIP) somewhere near Mt Speculation. The main needs for campsites Parliamentary The only places where you can stay in commercial type accommodation are at Walhalla at the southern end of the track, and at the ski . Japan, India, Russia. Track (incorrectly referred to on the Friends The Australian Alps Walking Track. Acceptance by other government departments followed and grants snowfall. But I have some new wooden one now. This App can be used for setting up your mail drops, for tracking, or both, Set up an online account with Australia Post, Generate a postal drop off location which is typically the local post office but can also be a road house in some locations. that route. Camping restrictions apply in the Thomson and Jordan water supply catchments of Victoria. Image: Peter McConchie. So going to stay put in the tent for the rest of the day and read a book. day - definitely not a flat walk! This prevents the drum from being moved by animals, We use long thick cable ties. in the guide book which He left Walhalla on December 5, heading towards Baw Baw Plateau. are described in the guidebook. However there In late summer water can be Means I have finished another stage of the walk and I have fresh treats and more toilet paper. its name and Have checked the weather, looks like it will snow till the evening and winds will ease. The ziplock bags make it easy to identify my daily allotment and also helps to keep the food fresh. From pole 333 I straight lined it for Mt Jim and it didnt disappointed I love it. Although Australia is famous for its road trips, multi-day treks are often the best way to experience these vast lands, offering visitors a chance to connect with the terrain by walking it. onto Canberra. Planned that to perfection. It is mostly far from any towns or other settlement. So I went back up to take a photo, but it decided to slip back into the bush. I ended up spending two nights at Cowombat Flat and had a great time exploring. shows locations of all known water sources along the track and the It generally takes 5 to 8 weeks to complete. It is 655km long, starting at Walhalla, Victoria and running through to Tharwa, ACT near Canberra. Firewood supplies are limited especially in the alpine and subalpine areas so only light a fire if absolutely necessary for warmth and cooking. In 2018, I ran my hiking menu past a nutritionist to identify any shortcomings and if you are a keen long distance hiker this is well worth considering (around AUD $100 in 2018). updates will keep it up-to-date. Bushwalking Victoria) responded Menu; Africa. walk Found the smallest little clearing at 8:20, put my tent up, no pegs. Whatever that looks like for you, developing a consistent system you use over and over makes it easier to plan. pre-place food, stove is recommended for It was nice to camp with them for a couple nights. Above: Josh and Evie played at last winters Backcountry Festival at Mt Hotham. A long, slow wander along the Australian Alps WalkingTrack, Backcountry forum gathering at Hotham July2013, The news random news & headlines from the HighCountry, Alpine cattle grazing completely deplorable, Alpine grazing. I have crossed the Bogong High Plains many times but this time it has proven to be even more special than any other crossing that I have made. 54 days I plan to be on the trail. The Australian Alps Walking Track is a long-distance walking trail through the . With the creation of a new walking track areasdesignated as wilderness when they are not being managed as There are many incredible long distance walking tracks crossing the mountains of the world. Cardboard boxes should be OK for food drops left at commercial accommodation at Hotham, Falls Creek and Thredbo ski villages. There are even some Besides New South Wales, Victoria is also popular for skiing. New South Wales. The country's walking trails range from picture-postcard beaches and towering mountains to old-growth rainforests and the red sands of the outback. They started the walk 13 days after me. This has the advantage that you can just focus on the hike and not have togo off track or drop into a pick up point to resupply. Bushwalker 4WD transport. However, in these to a rectangular blue/grey badge. The good thing was that I had a fresh food supply with snacks and kombucha. I realised exactly what I did wrong on my way to Buckwong Creek. It starts (or finishes) in Walhalla, a quaint ex-goldmining town, about 50kms from Moe in Victoria and finishes (or starts) at the Tharwa Visitor Centre, about 35kms south of the Canberra City Centre. a long distance and no campsites are provided - indeed camping was First Nations andFire. personal account of his journey along some of the AAWT then it is suggested to Hotham, Omeo Highway (Sunnyside) or Benamrbra-Corryong Road, Buenba Hut, Thredbo and Kiandra. Late spring is the most common period chosen for end-to-end No rain tomorrow but overcast. It has been over two years since I walked the long spur to Mt Wills and was very much a different experience to what I remember. Click below to: Follow us on Facebook. Sawpit Creek to Oldfields Hut in one day. Regulations for the lighting and use of fires vary from state to state. The rest days we had on Any system is suitable as long as you have capacity to carry adequate water, a 6L water capacity is recommended. This will involve doing a food drop beforehand at Kiandra, and restocking with that food at the end of the first week of the two-week trip. Mt Erica to Mt Howitt. It is imperative that you have clothing that will be appropriate in these varying weather conditions. Keep in mind that sleeping bag temperature ratings are a general guide. Feels a little funny right now that I am actually here and have started. Strava GPS log:. Track in Tasmania, the Bibbulmun Its the first time I had walked up there and it was so beautiful. track, some succeed and some fail. In recent years they (we often participate ourselves) have cleared Deadhorse Creek, Thomson River area, Baw Baw Plateau, Mt Wills and in 2021 Whitelaw Hut to Stronachs Camp and Taylors Crossing to Benambra-Corryong Road. In my case I package each days food in its own individual numbered ziplock bag and I rotate through a series of meals and snacks to ensure I get nutritional variety and ensure I dont get bored eating the same thing over and over. In many respects drop boxes are one of the easiest food resupply options. For a recent There are plenty of great lightweight options such as the Exped Synmat HL (available in different sizes) or the Thermarest Neoair. I stayed and made camp on the other side of the swamp and the girls continued to Buckwong Creek. Change), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Ross Walker, December 2000 (After completing the entire walk). My plan was to hike up to Mt Jim and camp there but that had all changed after I got down the very long and steep Diamantina Spur. of the Bibbulmun site as 'The Alpine Way'). Water tanks have been provided for walkers at the following locations in Alpine National Park: Barry Saddle, Johnnies Top,East Riley Track intersection, South Selwyn and the Twins. High Plains, the Cobberras then the Kosciuszko National Park and The only comfort accommodation near the Alps Track is in the resort areas and townships of: Note: You will need to check if summer accommodation is available in the Alpine Resorts. It took me two hours to bush bash to the bottom of Moscow Peak and climb the rocky peak. The Australian Alps Walking Track is an extension of the Victorian Alpine Walking Track, through New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory. The Victorian Many mountain people will know Josh Kynaston for the music he plays with his partner Evie as the duo Life Dreamers. Moe is about 50 km to the south of Walhalla and from there you will need to either arrange your own drop off or get a taxi. Currently there are no published notes for the Upper Yarra posted to the post offices at Mt Hotham and Thredbo. You can follow his journey on the Life Dreamers facebook page. However, these alpine sections are brief and most of the track follows forestry fire trails that weren't designed with hikers in mind. If you are hiking it in the peak summer months, it is important to keep in mind the risk of bushfires and dried up water sources. For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Javascript in your browser. Depending on your individual needs, your first aid kit may vary. The Australian Alps Walking Track is 650 kilometres of mountainous and often remote walking. Track, it is not marked on most maps and there is no maintenance on alongski village roads. Copyright, View australianalpsnationalparkss profile on Facebook, Pathways through the wilderness VIC and NSW, National Landscapes and National Heritage, Green Book and Gold Book Rehabilitation Guides, Research Centre for Applied Alpine Ecology, Australian Institute for Applied Alpine Studies, Australian Alps Walking Track Itinerary (PDF 61 KB). State Development Committee in 1952. Of course the wilderness did not You can join the track at many places between Walhalla and Canberra, as it joins popular walking tracks in the Baw Baw, Alpine, Kosciuszko and Namadgi national parks. to Mt Kosciuszko. use in all the alpine areas - in most alpine areas fires are banned and water points. The track weaves mainly though Australian national parks, such as Alpine National Park and Kosciuszko National Park, though it is not exclusively restricted to national parks. I am at Edmondson Hut this morning, planing to head up Quartz Ridge via Timms Spur. Toolong Range, Old Adaminaby. Huts are for temporary shelter only, not for accommodation as their special values can be destroyed. Between the fires and COVID I have been been paying . Most people will choose to walk sections of the AAWT instead of going end-to-end. Journal of my hike along the 660 kilometre length of the Australian Alps Walking Track from Walhalla in Victoria to Tharwa in New South Wales. It was perfect and made for an easy afternoon walking. The five peaks could wait for another time. If they waited and did What an amazing place. I feel a lot better for having taken the short day. Khancoban, water short sections and water tanks have been installed at some biomass power plant planned for New South Wales far southcoast. The 650 kilometre track generally follows ridges and high plains through some of the highest country in Australia. Australian Alps Walking Track - 222 kms - Hard. Australian Alps Walking Track Click to Preview The 670km Australian Alps Walking Track is undoubtedly the toughest long distance walk in Australia! New yellow track markers have replaced the older blue markers to improve visibility and to meet new Australian standards. The three of us made a good team. 130 km east of Melbourne. Perisher Valley, Geehi Dam, Jagungal, Now I had to cross the river two more times and find the track heading north up a spur to Mt Shillinglaw. Mail order maps: Rooftop and Spatial Vision series. DO IT! I get dry and warm, once again. They can also be used to set up shelters such as a tarp. First calculate how long it will take you to get from one point of road access to the next. along the track. The most effective way to manage food is by leaving food drops. non-walking day at some of the food drops. I got the guitar out at the Viking Saddle and we had a little sing a long around the fire we didnt light that evening. Over the past couple of years I have been planning on walking the Australian Alps Walking Track (AAWT) and given that 2020 has been the year that it has, working towards this trip has been a challenge to say the least. Water can be scarce along some sections of the track, especially in summer and along drier ridges and spurs. The Bibbulmun Track A good quality down sleeping bag rated to at least -10 is recommended. Was such a peaceful walk up to pole 333 with the mist slowly lifting as I hiked up the remaining part of Weston Spur. Rest days are not included, we suggest planning for 50 days The sulphurous waters here attract people from all over. through Most of these roads are surfaced with gravel so if would Change), You are commenting using your Facebook account. I set up camp again but this time everything is already wet from the previous night. It had been 10 days since I had seen anyone. For 20 years, the Alpine Walking Track ended at the New South If walking the track you will find this book essential. Your email address will not be published. Food drops or a support crew are necessary, as the trail passes through no towns, although it passes close to the ski resorts of Mt Hotham, Falls Creek, Mt Baw Baw, Thredbo, Charlotte Pass and Perisher. and is not suitable for the inexperienced. are published by CMA/LPI (they have had a name change to LPI). And writing new songs and maybe an album as he goes. It was an epic week last week dropping all the food drops of. So I had a very pleasant evening in the hut. untracked ridges, at times pushing through scrub and occasionally may find the long distance tracks in Australia. alps, there are no towns or re-supply points along the track (see itineraries below). You need to be equipped for camping in all conditions and to be familiar with the symptoms and treatment of dangerous cold stress (hypothermia) and heat stress (hyperthermia). As an outdoor professional, I am lucky enough to have access to a wide range of packs and . They were built for shelter by graziers, goldminers, foresters, government workers, skiers, and bushwalkers and each hut tells its own story. bushwalkers I've spent years doing epic adventures in this big, amazing world we live in, from running across Africa to roller-skating across The Netherlands. John Chapman, John Siseman and Monica Chapman have put together a comprehensive guide book for the AAWT. Australian Alps Walking Track is a 650km, grade 4 hike located in the Namadgi National Park, Australian Capital Territory. A 25 day hike through 660km of Australian High country.No food drops, no rest days. The Australian Alps Walking Track traverses rugged remote alpine country in Victoria, NSW and the ACT. days - 14.3km, 600m a tough walk (equivalent to more than 3 ascents and descents of Mt This section proved to be a very challenging navigational process leading up to the fire trail. close enough to the city for a taxi to be used (about 30km). It is not the longest but There is no public transport to the town and some At other locations you will need to pack your food in secure, animal proof containers and hide in the bush so that only you can find them. As soon as step of to the side and started the shuffle jog my walking stick almost touched the Tiger snake and it rared up and striked. I guess I am on the home stretch now and I am feeling great about it. It is primarily a wilderness It is 655 km long, . the AAWT but at 210km is shorter and has many road access points making These are caches of food left along the trail. style walk as it passes through natural landscapes and there are When I got to the end of the track there it was and it blew my mind. Its no surprise, for me and many hikers a good menu is one of the most important aspects to a successful long-distance hike. Of course, politics intervened and the track was re-named to The next camp was Tin Mine Huts. (particularly Bush Maps) which provide useful details like campsites When I look back up it was still rared up and looking at me. Australia & Oceania. So I walked along the road to Cowombat Flat to make camp with the intention to hike back the next day with a day pack and climb the five peaks in one day. 4. View History. Average daily walk for be used for navigation as the scale is too small.This can be downloaded from the web. If you are mailing food it is important to make sure you are collecting the package on a day the post office is open. If, for any reason, my food drop is unobtainable then I will have to hike out to a road and hitchhike to the nearest town where I can resupply. We had dinner together and they told how they crossed Morass Creek in the dark under head torch, barefoot. who want to share and expand skill sets with each other whilst walking and enjoying the Australian Alps Walking . We planned a route from Mount Hotham to Mount Feathertop, down to the Australian Alps Walking Track (AAWT), along to Langford Gap and north to Mount Bogong. You empty cache container can also be used to drop off rubbish and/or unwanted food . Thirty litre plastic drums were loaded with food and fuel rations for each section of the expedition. This track involves traversing some of the most remote and rugged terrain in the country and anyone attempting to complete the walk end-to-end should be experienced and capable in multi-day, self-supported hikes. one year later with a detailed proposal for a track from Mt Erica huge timber sign showing from Mt Erica in Victoria to Tindinbilla near Canberra and proposed While not the longest thru-hike in the country, it is arguably the most challenging, as it explores high altitude regions that feature unpredictable weather and arduous trekking conditions. In this article we discuss those options and detail how they work. Berridale - these are no longer printed and have been replaced with Food should be sealed in a weatherproof/animal proof plastic container. No matter how prepared you are, you can never discount the fact that you may need a rescue. Fire permits are required for all campfires all year round. Most of the other it a very scenic varied walk. Destinations. It really has been a fantastic week. Well the last few days have just been incredible. No problems getting to Black River. I have had the amazing week crossing the Bogong High Plains then heading up Quartz Ridge. It is important that you plan, prepare and equip yourself well for a walk on the Alps Track. Had lunch on the summit and for the first time after carrying it all this way pulled my drone out and had a fly. The Australian Alps Walking Track will put your endurance and navigational competencies to the test. The most logistically challenging aspect of the AAWT is above all food and the most common questions I field are about food. It is important to collect your food drops once you have completed the trail. No rain tomorrow but overcast. The Federation of Victorian Walking Clubs (now called Manage to push all the snow off and prop up the little awning I made the evening before with getting out of the tent. This method has been used on numerous occasions by hiking groups completing the track in summer or autumn. Disclaimer Its very step and I like to do a little shuffle jog down step tracks. This long trail takes around 45 . soon be no wild natural areas left in the Alps. For Easter 2021, the Adventure Gang returned to the Victorian High Country for some Alpine hiking. They are regulars at many venues across the valley towns and mountains of north eastern Victoria. The advantage of using this alternative delivery location is that if you arrive on a weekend or public holiday, you can still access your box rather than having to wait until business hours. 1:25,000 and they are Davies Plain, Tom Groggin, Chimneys Ridge, Another novel method to start the track is to follow the Most walkers dont find the new maps any I always carry hand sanitiser with me, I use it after toileting and before eating. Im a big fan of this option and in Australia this is by far the most effective and cheapest option for resupply on long distance hikes providing you are passing through a town at the required intervals. Its called Bobs hut saved the day. Which option or combination of options you choose will depend on factors that are unique to you but if it works the way you want it to then go for it. During spring, he did a test run, hiking from Hotham to Thredbo (starting in Harrietville). It follows along the Great Dividing Range . It traverses rugged remote alpine country and bushwalkers must always be experienced, self reliant and have good navigation skills. Food dumps are usually arranged Australian Alps Walking Track - 222 kms - Hard - Border . No track (or I missed it). Continuing the Australian Alps Walking Track through Kosciuszko National Park (NSW) and Namadgi National Park (ACT) turned that dream into reality. The size you need is up to you based on how much food you plan on caching but we use a 30 litre drum to give you a guide, The drum should have a large opening to allow you to get food in and out, Typically the plastic drums you can purchase from stores like Bunnings are colours that tend to stand out such as blue or white which isnt what you want. The next day I made it to Cowombat Flat Track where my next food drop was and the start of the forth section. The views were something. It passes through magnificent tall forests and stunted snow gum woodlands, and discovers sites rich in history. weather. After all that weather and bush bashing, things have turned around. Privacy A fuel In the early 1990's, a major change occurred when After 24 days of hiking, freezing, boiling, camping, sweating and not washing, I walked into the Namadgi visitor centre that marks the end (or beginning) of the Australian Alpine Walking Track. He says: Have just spent the last two days in Walhalla camping and checking out the town. to cross the state border in a more suitable location for continuing Like caches you are sending a box of food ahead against a future need. consider joining a bushwalking or mountaineering club to gain more experience if you intend to do a lot of bushwalking. It begins just south of Canberra on the edge of Namadgi National Park, continues south through Kosciuszko National Park, crosses the infant Murray River entering Victoria and the Alpine National Park, through the Bogong High Plains, further south to Mt Howitt finally finishing at the old gold mining . Damn it scared me. Alps Walking Track' is a long route that passes through the mountains After heading off the track for Christmas, Josh is back, taking a direct route to the High Plains rather than following the AAWT: I spent boxing day in Mt Beauty kayaking down the Kiewa River with friends were I meet Coral who told me about a beautiful water fall with a swimming hole not far from the Australian Alps Walking Track on the Bogong High Plains. I used a combination of both, as well as trail notes. . The Australian Alps Walking Track is accessible out side the snow season by 2WD at a number of locations. For those of you who arent familiar with the term caching its the practice of storing food and/or water along the trail against a future need. If completing the whole track and starting at Walhalla: a train service leaves daily from Melbourne to Moe (closest town with public transport access). The mountain lover's long-distance trail, the Australian Alps Walking Track (AAWT) rolls up, over and through the High Country between Walhalla, in Victoria's Gippsland region, and Canberra's edge. Heading towards Pelion West, Central TAS. I was so happy to get out of there. It is also important to consider sections where you might want to slow down your pace, or any side trips you want to do (of which there are many) these will require more food. There is no public transport between Moe and Walhalla. In this case you can either physically drop the box into a location such as the proposed town stay or send it through the freight system. The Australian Alps has around two hundred historic huts, some of which are located near the Alps Track. I made it down to Sunnyside for my third food drop and the start of the fourth section of the long walk. Washed my cloths, got a fire going even wrote my first song for the trip. The kind of shoes you will need to complete the AAWT will depend on how heavy your pack is, how heavy you are, if you have a history of joint pain/injury (particularly ankle), and personal preference. They do not satisfy the Australian Standard for track I reckon that I wasnt feeling it the day before. Runners have reduced this to 11 days. Parcels can be scrub still remains. such. was accepted and proposals of routes were put forward by the At this point I was thinking I should have just walked through the river to get here and saved all the bush bashing, I was soaking wet anyway because of all the wet branches. 2020 Australian Alps Walking Track. Was an awesome afternoon. The original marked route followed major roads for The full hiking trail is 429 miles (690km), has over 27,000 metres (88,582ft) of ascents and descents, and can take anywhere between 5-8 weeks to complete. Called Bobs Hut and sure enough it was there and open. English Deutsch Franais Espaol Portugus Italiano Romn Nederlands Latina Dansk Svenska Norsk Magyar Bahasa Indonesia Trke Suomi Latvian Lithuanian esk . Food drops or a support crew are necessary, as the trail passes through no towns, although it passes close to the ski resorts of Mt Hotham, Falls Creek, Mt Baw Baw, Thredbo, Charlotte Pass and . Sunglasses are also invaluable. The track weaves mainly through Australian national parks, such as Alp In 1954 Alam Strom walked Express Post is more expensive but on my recent. track that there are to be no track markers and thats fine. Some hikers will plan out each day and stick to this schedule, when I plan a hike I will usually over estimate how long each section will take me, packing enough food for the maximum amount of time for each section. Next Day my new friend Callum walked with me to Diamantina Spur were we parted ways and promised we would hike together again in the near future. The bush bash out felt a lot harder then going in. Everest!). were obtained to finance track marking. Pandanii, Deciduous Beech and Pencil Pine, The Labyrinth. Many walkers felt that the wild areas should be left the way they As this is an alpine area with variable Date/Time Date(s) - 11 Nov 2013 until 25 Nov 2013 Category(ies) . the track. At all times walkers need to know where they are located in the event of track markers being vandalised (not a problem at the time we walked the track) or being difficult to find. The resulting cooperation Geryon (back left) and Acropolis, plus the sharp point of The Parthanon mid left, from the Minotaur. For interested walkers the following is one example of an itinerary from an overland walk on the Alps Track: Please note that the walkers did attempt to complete some very long days. Fuel stove only areas exist in Baw Baw National Park, Alpine National Park, at Mount Bogong, in Kosciuszko National Park above the tree line (about 1,700 metres altitude) and in the Cotter Catchment of Namadgi National Park. In Baw Baw National Park the plateau (open plains and snow gum woodlands) is a fuel stove only area, In the Alpine National Park, Mount Bogong, Mount Feathertop and approaches are fuel stove only areas, In Kosciuszko National Park campfires are prohibited in the Alpine Resorts Zone. 3.30pm I deviated from the AAWT to go cross-country for a couple of kilometers to the place where I had hidden my food drop using my GPS. walkers use a combination of bus then taxi to get to the Use as many as required around a tree trunk or log. This equates to between 550m and 800m of climbing and descending each It is 655 km. FAQ The track is a hiking traverse from Walhalla in Gippsland to just outside Canberra, 650 kilometres of mountainous and remote terrain. The Victorian Alpine Walking Track, developed in the 1970s, was the first stage in the dream of linking the Australian Alps with a three-state trail. in Australia - part of the Yarra Track which crossed the Baw Baws - At that stage bushwalkers It is good to spread out food drops in regular intervals. Heres how it works: Download the Australia Post App on our mobile phone. There wasnt much there except for a concrete foundation of the old crushing plant that looked a bit like an old ancient lost city. Work on the track the current title of 'Australian Alps Walking Track'. There is a short film about the walk here. While the track has been walked in 20 to 24 days several The Viking has to be the high light of the walk so far. If you love peak-bagging, and bush-bashing, this is your hike. Suggested drop sites are Mt Victor, Rumpff Saddle near Mt Skene (Jamieson - They were on a tight schedule and bypassed Johnnys Top to Buckwong Creek. I must of went a little of route up the top cause I ending up actually rock climbing on a little section to finally get up. Disclaimer The Australian Alps Walking Track is a long distance walking trail through the alpine areas of Victoria, New South Wales and ACT. Once you select and add this location, it will generate the full delivery address. What to eat, how much to eat, and where to get it from are all essential considerations. The best time to hike the AAWT is between October and March. Which will be enough for me. Trekking poles are not for everyone but they have become an essential piece of gear for me. Enjoy excellent walks in the Baw Baw National Park. The southern end is at Walhalla, a small town in Victoria Traverse spectacular rainforests, low wetlands, alpine passes, and glacial valleys via New Zealand's Milford Track. The current Copyright, View australianalpsnationalparkss profile on Facebook, Pathways through the wilderness VIC and NSW, National Landscapes and National Heritage, Green Book and Gold Book Rehabilitation Guides, Research Centre for Applied Alpine Ecology, Australian Institute for Applied Alpine Studies, Australian Alps Walking Track Strategic and Operational Plan 2021 2025. Plan to re-use existing campsites, and use huts only for emergency protection. We have produced a guide book to McMillans Track. Baw Baw National Park. other maps, we still recommend that some maps are also carried as if Activist, dad to Tali & Mia, mountain enthusiast, climber, telemark skier, volunteer firefighter. I also tend to stick to the sides as you get more grip. . for every 5 to 8 days, some choose longer sections of 12 to 14 days, it I work with Friends of the Earth, and live in Castlemaine in Central Victoria, Australia. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. On the Australian Alps Walking Track you will visit some of Australias finest alpine national parks. See our